3M Interview Questions

2.7

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in September 2010.

Initial interview will be telephonic from supervisor. Next from NSM (can be video conference also) & in rare occasions from Divisional Manager. HR only facilitates.

Interview Questions
    • They may ask about Key account management , Channel Management and team handling experience. Then about 3M , etc.   Answer Question
    They will tell no negotiation possible. This happens with HR. They may stick to the band given by business. Approval process for exceptions are quite difficult.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warangal
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warangal

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in April 2011.

Interview process

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They mailed me a copy of offer letter and asked me meet at their company.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calcutta
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calcutta

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in April 2010.

Shortlisting was done by the General Managers. The shortlisted candidates had a group discussion on a management case for 10 to 15 minutes. 1 person was selected from each group of 6. These candidates were then interviewed to judge fit in the Healthcare Industry.

Interview Questions
    • Healthcare involves seeing patients b?eing operated in hospitals. Are you scared of blood?   View Answer
    • Why 3M?   View Answer
    None

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pune
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at 3M in August 2010.

Got a call from consultant, attended the telephonic interview, got a schedule for personal interview & then one more round of technical interview with site manager & then finally with a VP then negotiation & offer letter.

Interview Questions
    One step negotiation was possible

BDM Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at 3M in February 2010.

This was a three stage interview process. Meeting the various chains of leadership and then HR. Fisrt met the regional product manager, then his line manager and finally the global sales leader.

Interview Questions
    • I cleared the technical interview. However the HR's proposed compensation was not enticing enough. The argument put forth was that 3M is recognized brand and that I should settle for less. I had a better option so things didn't work out. But no hard feelings.   Answer Question

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Maplewood, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

I was given the opportunity to meet with representatives from 3M on campus. Initial on campus interview was followed by invitation to a 4-day onsite interview at 3M headquarters. Initial review was discussing research topics followed by some behavioral questions. Onsite visit include giving an 45-minutes presentation on research topic, a whole of one on one interviews, and a lab tour.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at 3M in August 2014.

I applied directly through their website but was also networked into the job and sent my resume directly to the hiring manager. A week later their website informed me that they also forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. 3 months later the hiring manager called me for a phone interview. Two weeks later they invited me to schedule an on-site interview. On that day I was already on-site at another company who made an offer two days later. I took the offer from the other company and politely withdrew myself from consideration at 3M.

To summarize, 3M took 4 months to get me into an interview. The other company (also a large corporation) made an offer within 1 month of my application on their website. 3M is a great company, but I don't think they understand how to hire experienced professionals.

Regarding the phone interview, it was a very natural conversation. No canned questions.

Interview Questions
    • None. It was a great conversation. The hiring manager dug into some of my specific experiences from my resume. I asked a lot of questions about the job.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in April 2014.

3 parts to the interview: 1. Came in and asked me a question about why a 4 bedroom apartment cost less than a 3 bedroom apartment with the same SF in both. 2. Gave me a series of math questions, all of which could be done in your head, just how quickly you could rifle them off, was the goal. 3. Business Model was given you needed to ask as many questions as you could about it to form a business solution toward the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Business Model was given you needed to ask as many questions as you could about it to form a business solution toward the problem.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at 3M.

There were 2 interviews. The first was more generic and assess individual strength and weaknesses, expectations, aspirations etc. The second was to pitch a marketing strategy of a specific product.

R&D Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Initial communication through a campus recruiter around late November, however, the contact was after the only round of campus interviews in early fall. I had a brief telephone interview over the phone and was quickly offered the position.

The R&D intern pool guarantees you a placement, but you don't actually get a job assignment until later ( Jan - Mar) when the hiring managers contact you to gauge your interest in the various intern positions.

Interview Questions
    Unable to negotiate intern pay, their intern salaries are scaled based on number of previous internships and degree level (bachelors, masters, PhD)

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!