3M

Updated 15 Dec 2014
Updated 15 Dec 2014

2.7

Technical Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

I was contacted for a 15 minute phone interview. At the end of this interview I was invited for an interview at the St. Paul campus. The interview was very laid back and friendly. I spoke with the hiring manager one on one for about 30 minutes mainly talking about my interests and strengths. I met for a group interview with about 6 people and presented some of my past work. At the end of the interview I was offered the job after the group had discussed in private.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a few detailed questions about the projects I presented (computer code syntax, design choices, etc.)   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase for a tech aide position at 3M. Don't try to negotiate.

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M in April 2014.

3 parts to the interview: 1. Came in and asked me a question about why a 4 bedroom apartment cost less than a 3 bedroom apartment with the same SF in both. 2. Gave me a series of math questions, all of which could be done in your head, just how quickly you could rifle them off, was the goal. 3. Business Model was given you needed to ask as many questions as you could about it to form a business solution toward the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Business Model was given you needed to ask as many questions as you could about it to form a business solution toward the problem.   Answer Question

Tech Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at 3M in April 2014.

Didn't contact me until about a month after I applied. However, once they contacted me the interview process was very quick. Had an interview about 1 week after contact, and was given an offer the same day as the interview. Interview was fairly typical and not too challenging, about 30 mins total. It was a bit intimidating with 3 employees in the room interviewing me but they were very friendly and made me feel comfortable. Mostly asked questions about resume info - are you planning on going to grad school, why did you choose your area of study, what is your biggest accomplishment, previous employment info, etc. Did ask 1 technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Asked a technical question about a problem one of the researchers was working on - researcher was taking images of a 2D array of plastic wells, but in the images the wells were not all oriented exactly the same way. Wanted to know how to create a program to rotate the images so that the wells were all oriented the same way (ie normal to the axes), so that they could be analyzed. There was no "right" answer per se, just wanted to get my thoughts.   Answer Question

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wausau, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wausau, WI (US)

Professional but had way too many candidates applying for a few positions.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at 3M in March 2014.

Applied via 3M's online application process. Shortly thereafter, I received a call from the department manager and set up an interview time for the following week after a brief chat focused on my resume, which seemed to have the core requirements for the position.

The interview was an informal sit down. I wore a suit, which was appropriate. Khakis and a tie may have been just as appropriate, given the very casual dress of most employees at their corporate headquarters (jeans and very worn 3M polo shirts).

As a recent college graduate, the interview started out with a review of High School activity involvement, progressing to college involvement and personal interests. It was more of a character interview and display of ease of communication with an unfamiliar party, as the position involved dealing with customer orders, exclusively on the phone.

The interviewer went on to describe the position in depth, then proceeded to ask questions regarding how my degree and work experiences would have prepared me for this position. The emphasis for this section of the interview would be clarity in communication. Straightforward and applicable information in clear conversational format was the desired response.

Feedback on the position was immediate, as no other candidates were in consideration. Each sales team leader will have their own format, this was an example of many hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • No question stands out as being difficult, as the position deals with fairly straightforward tasks. The ultimate goal was to find a candidate with the proper character traits that fit the role of the position.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at 3M.

2 face to face interviews, 1 integrity assesment and 1 final interview

face to face meeting

Front End Developer Interview

Well rounded interview, high knowledge of technologies

Technical Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

One interview with the manager who oversaw my work for my duration with the company

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M.

Met recruiter at career fair, interviewed the next day, had an offer ~3 weeks later.
    Behavioral type questions. What did you like about your last internship, what didn't you? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Teamwork skills

Director of Quality Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online – interviewed at 3M.

Process commenced with a 1.5 hr interview with the hiring and HR managers. Questions were status quo focused on people management experiences and technical aspects related to QMS implementation/maintenance.
    On-site interview was held over an eight hour period with HR, hiring, and production managers. Standard questions about background and experience with a 1 hr HR type exam that included some elementary technical questions. Received a tentative offer the day after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were asked to do something for the business that was counter to your morals/ethics?   Answer Question