3M Interview Questions

Updated 19 Sep 2014

2.7

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M in December 2013.

Start with on-campus interview, which was more general and more about spreading the message that 3M does Rapid Recruiting every December (so wait for that). Later got a phone call asking me to apply for the online position starting with "RR" (for Rapid Recruiting), and got the on-site invitation after two days. The on-site interview was very fun, well organized and very impressive. It somewhat feels like a conference since I got to meet other candidates (non-competitive) and listen to their presentations. Got the offer one day after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What do you see you can contribute to the company, given all the information you have collected? (has to talk about detailed ideas)   Answer Question

Product Development Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at 3M.

I was called in for a Rapid Recruiting Event. The event was planned for 3 days. There were interviews, company tours, dinners with managers and other employees. The interview part consisted of a 45 minute presentation and 45 minute interviews with each team member. The interviews had behavioral type questions in a casual atmosphere. Nothing unexpected or challenging.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider as your most significant achievement?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at 3M.

Networked with internal contacts and monitored website for suitable opportunities. Interview for one position led to informational interview with a hiring manager with a more suitable business area. After a few months, a more appropriate position was posted; applied for that online. Screened by HR rep and then interviewed with hiring manager, director and VP.

Interview Questions
    Structured and fair. Salary ranges for each position are enforced. Paid time off was somewhat negotiable based on years of experience.

SBD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

1st round interview : two business cases
    2nd round interview: about 6 short business cases
    Final round with the Regional VP

O2 Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

One fly-out interview broken into three segments, two behavioral interviews and one tour. Very straight forward and traditional. 90% "Tell us about a time..." questions. One major idea that we kept on touching on was time management and tools for productivity. Most everyone was very "engineering-esque" if that makes sense. All were welcoming and amicable. Can't complain.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you made the wrong choice, and what did you do about it.   Answer Question
    Was told by multiple others that 3M does not negotiate on entry-level positions so I didn't try.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

The process is fast paced and was done through a rapid recruiting event. Potential candidates were interviewed by the interested hiring managers and several senior scientists, other managers and by the Director. One has to also give a highly technical talk which was followed by a Q&A session. Overall, I found the experience to be very pleasant and was made to feel very welcoming.

Technical Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Interview and hiring process was as basic and informal as can be.
    Research Chemist looked over my resume, and asked several questions regarding my schedule/availability, and knowledge about basic scientific processes.

There wasn't one.

R&D Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Initial communication through a campus recruiter around late November, however, the contact was after the only round of campus interviews in early fall. I had a brief telephone interview over the phone and was quickly offered the position.

The R&D intern pool guarantees you a placement, but you don't actually get a job assignment until later ( Jan - Mar) when the hiring managers contact you to gauge your interest in the various intern positions.

Interview Questions
    Unable to negotiate intern pay, their intern salaries are scaled based on number of previous internships and degree level (bachelors, masters, PhD)

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Maplewood, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

I was given the opportunity to meet with representatives from 3M on campus. Initial on campus interview was followed by invitation to a 4-day onsite interview at 3M headquarters. Initial review was discussing research topics followed by some behavioral questions. Onsite visit include giving an 45-minutes presentation on research topic, a whole of one on one interviews, and a lab tour.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M.

I applied online. Interview was pretty informal. I was just introduced to all the members of the lab, and was given a tour of the lab and all the equipment. Probably took a half hour or so total. They just asked very basic questions like the classes you are taking etc.