3M Interview Questions

Updated 18 Apr 2015

2.7

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at 3M in October 2014.

Interview

Met at a career fair then fallowed up with an on campus interview within a week. Hope for another round of interviews should hear from them again in a few months. Interviewer was interested in independent study (research projects) that I've been working on. Talked about patent that each of us are developing and the difficulties around that.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN (US)).

Interview

Standard interview process. Met with roughly 4 3M employees. Ranging form Management, to sales trainers. Asked typical interview questions. Have 30/60/90 day plan ready. Dress formal. Be ready for a long day of interviews. They will give you 10-15 mins in between rounds. Bring note pad. It's helpful to take notes.

Research Scientist Interview

Interview

On campus interview, met for one hour with a recruiter. Usually a pre-requisite before rapid recruiting on site. Recruiter described interview process pretty well, and explained different positions. Then we talked about research for a bit, and ended with some questions for them.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were able to obtain buy-in from others.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 3M in September 2014.

Interview

quite easy going, technical questions were asked too. Felt at ease, although it's apparent the interns would not get a specific experience. Other wise it was fairly relaxed. Oddly, not much was asked about my background; only a few technical questions were asked, and the remainder of the time focused on describing the position and the department.

O2 Program Interview

Application

interviewed at 3M in September 2014.

Interview

Very casual on campus interview. I applied through campus recruiting and half of the interview was just discussing what the job entailed, and where there were openings. The downside is that you have to apply after the interview a separate time to the various plants you'd like to work at. The time can vary depending on the need.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 3M in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through university career fair and got an 30 minutes on-campus interview. After a brief self-introduction, the recruiter mainly focused on behavioral questions in regard of my problem solving and communication skills. Then, there was a question section for me to ask about the company and potential positions. Then, being told that they will bring back evaluation feedback to the hiring manager and will notify us if being selected.

Interview Questions

• Is there any moment or examples that you are really curious about something?   Answer Question

Integrated Marketing Development (IMD) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M (Atlanta, GA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

I submitted my application (resume and cover letter) online through the NBMBA conference website. I received a phone call within 24 hours of submisison for a phone interview. DO NOT MISS THIS CALL. They are quick with response and this is your chance to tell them what you know aobut the company and why you're interested as well as your experience and how you are equiped for the position. I Interviewed with a previous intern at the National Black MBA conference.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an innovative brand.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at 3M.

Interview

There were 2 interviews. The first was more generic and assess individual strength and weaknesses, expectations, aspirations etc. The second was to pitch a marketing strategy of a specific product.

3m Frontline Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Conversation with program head and school specific recruiter, mostly conversational. Talked about interests and career goals to determine fit with the open 3m positions. Not too difficult an interview. 3m is a big company and there are many opportunities, so if you talk about what you are truly interested in, chances are this is something in 3m that fits those interests. Be yourself and be friendly and enthusiastic.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at 3M in August 2014.

Interview

I applied directly through their website but was also networked into the job and sent my resume directly to the hiring manager. A week later their website informed me that they also forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. 3 months later the hiring manager called me for a phone interview. Two weeks later they invited me to schedule an on-site interview. On that day I was already on-site at another company who made an offer two days later. I took the offer from the other company and politely withdrew myself from consideration at 3M.

To summarize, 3M took 4 months to get me into an interview. The other company (also a large corporation) made an offer within 1 month of my application on their website. 3M is a great company, but I don't think they understand how to hire experienced professionals.

Regarding the phone interview, it was a very natural conversation. No canned questions.

Interview Questions

• None. It was a great conversation. The hiring manager dug into some of my specific experiences from my resume. I asked a lot of questions about the job.   Answer Question