ALDI

Updated 4 Mar 2015
Updated 4 Mar 2015

2.8

Corporate Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI.

Aldi uses outside staffing agencies to find candidates. After a phone l, skills assesment test and 1 in person interview with the staffing agency, you start the ALDI interview process. Typically 1st interview with buyer (if in training then their advisor as well.) If called back, the 2nd interview with buyer and thier boss. Have seen process take 2 interviews to over 8. Company tries to find the right match in personality types between buyer and assistants.

Store Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI.

First day invited to a group interview with other applicants lasting 1 hour. We were given tasks to complete such as role play, how to communicate with customers and speaking in front of a group. The interviewer is present throughout the process and decides who will be selected for 1-on-1 interview.

Second day is a 1-one interview with the area manager lasting 20-30 minutes. Initially the interviewer will confirm some personal details, followed by your shift preference. It is a good idea to have examples of team working and planning. Aldi want people who can complete tasks at a set time limit, e.g fill tinned food shelves in 30 minutes etc, scan 50 items per minute on the tills. This will be recorded and if you don't hit your targets then you may be disciplined.

Last day is a work trial. I did not attend at this point because I had an offer from another company.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Aldi?
      Can you work early mornings, Night shifts, weekends, bank holidays, overtime etc?
      Are you able to work in a target driven environment? Can you give an example of when you had to work towards a deadline?
      What are your hobbies?
      Do you have any questions?

View Answer

District Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ALDI.

Had an informational dinner hosted on university campus, followed by the interview the next morning. Process was smooth and easy, the informational dinner was great and yielded insight regarding Aldi's business model and company culture.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral questions, nothing too difficult (i.e. review of leadership positions, how various scenarios were dealt with, etc.)   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at ALDI.

Applied at job fair and got call back next day offering interview but group interview. I was kind of nervouse but I figured in that position i will be good at

Graduate Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England (UK)

interviewed at ALDI in February 2015.

Applied December 2014, received a letter few weeks later, called in January to arrange interview for February.

There were about 20-25 of us in the room. Don't worry about other candidates as most people are nice and normal graduates just like yourself. Nobody was intimidating or that impressive.

Format was as follows:

Introduction from a Director, all about Aldi. Nothing to do here but listen.

First 2 minute presentation: Basically why you, why Aldi, what's your local store & an 'amazing' fact about yourself. Don't worry about going over time because a lot of people did (some for 4-5 minutes). In fact, plan a 4-5 minute presentation because this is basically your only chance to sell yourself - milk it. Focus on your relevant experience i.e. leadership roles, teamwork, evidence you're a hard worker who goes above and beyond. The people who stood out the most here said things like 'I'm the type of person who would be determined to make my stores the best no matter what.' It sounds obvious but not many people said it, and it seems like that's what they're looking for. When talking about Aldi, talk about the opportunities provided by the role - people management experience, why it appeals to you as a highly motivated individual etc. Maybe drop in some research on Aldi to show your awareness but don't go overboard - Aldi don't need to be told how great they are, and reeling off stats about their recent performance or amazing business model is a waste of time in my opinion. That said, it's probably worth mentioning something in that vein to illustrate you understand the Aldi culture etc. Definitely visit a local store as the Director specifically asked about this. The 'amazing' fact is a tricky one - some people's were light-hearted and this clearly didn't go down well. The best ones were along the lines of 'I raised x for charity', 'I cycled from x to y', or 'I captained/ran/organised XYZ event/club/sport at university'. Do your best to make it impressive as it's a chance to show off; if yours is average, you won't look great.

Following this was another talk from the Director, about the role etc. Then we had 5 minutes to prepare for the second presentation, on 'Your Greatest Achievement'.

Second presentation: This was strictly time constrained. 2 minutes goes by pretty quickly when you're talking so try and cover a lot of ground in a concise way for this one. The best ones were similar to the amazing facts - an impressive charity event, volunteering abroad, studying abroad, some kind of leadership role at uni etc. If you don't have anything exceptional to talk about, prepare the best thing you can and polish it up as much as possible. Emphasise why you were so successful doing this and what you achieved.

Verbal/Comprehension/Numerical test: All pretty basic. Verbal was word meaning questions along the lines of 'If angst is to fear, then joy is to ?'. Comprehension was 'John, Tim, and Julie like apples. Katy and Simon like oranges and apples. Kevin, Patricia and Georgia like apples and kiwi fruit, but not oranges. Who can eat apples and kiwi fruit? Who doesn't eat oranges?' If you haven't done maths since GCSE, practice for the numerical. It's a variety of fairly simple add/subtract/multiply/divide, with some percentages, fractions and decimals. Not complicated (60% of 300, 5.5-2.4, calculating change due). There were also some number patterns to work out. None of it is complex but if your maths is rusty it's worth practicing so you don't panic under pressure.

Overall it was an average/poor experience. Any interview is worth taking for the experience of being under pressure, selling yourself and presenting in front of large groups, so from that perspective it was worthwhile. However, as an assessment it was poor. Some people had travelled considerable distances and having only 4 minutes to sell yourself in a room full of 20+ candidates is frustrating. I'm an extroverted and confident person and I found it difficult to stand out. Though nobody was particularly impressive, those that did best were those who emphasised their passion to succeed and work hard etc - if that sounds difficult to articulate, that's because it is. There was no opportunity to display your personality or sell yourself beyond the contrived and formulaic group presentations. Some group tasks would have made this a more balanced and substantial assessment. If you do face an assessment like mine, above all try and convince them that this is your dream job, you are passionate about the opportunity to join Aldi's culture, you love leading and working with people, and will work as hard as humanly possible to make your stores exceed their targets.

To succeed at this stage you need to convey that you genuinely want the job, believe you'd be exceptional at it, and that you're passionate about the Aldi culture.

Hope this helps & good luck!

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in February 2015.

Interviewers met the night before an on-campus interview. The "Pre-night" gave an insight into the company, benefits, and duties expected of a District Manager or Intern. We had a change to talk to current DMs and the District VP. The next day I met with the District VP for my interview; it was extremely informal. She pretty much asked me to briefly tell her about my past work experiences and activities outside of school. She then asked me to walk her through my high school self (what sports I played, what clubs I was in, even who I hung out with). We only spoke for 30 minutes or so and then we were finished; I had to ask her if I could ask some more exact questions about the position and the company. I was supposed to be notified the next day if I was going to be asked back for a final interview at their District Headquarters.

Area Manager Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI in February 2015.

A two minute pitch about who we were and why we should get the job, another two minute presentation about our greatest achievement, and a numeracy/literacy/comprehension test.

We were in a group of 20+ people; far too many to accurately gauge anything of our ability or personality in my opinion, so my advice would be to be bold and try and your best to stand out from the crowd. With such a limited interview format, however, your personality and leadership qualities matter less than the experiences you can put forth.

District Manager Inter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI in February 2015.

The interview was ten minutes late and I do not know what was going on with the interviewer because he did not explain the delay. So I only had a 20-minute interview. The process is quite similar with other internship positions. Most questions are behavior questions. I saw there was a paper to take notes in front of him and he did not write anything. The interviewer is a little bit cold in attitude.

Interview Questions
    • Basic behavior questions such as describe a team work experience   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in February 2015.

Dinner on campus followed by 30 minute 1 on 1 interview. Asked mainly about personality and things like that and interviewer seemed bored and tired. I felt like they invested a lot of time and energy at the dinner but couldn't care less the next day when it came to interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Two strengths and weaknesses
      What is your favorite thing about this company?

Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in February 2015.

I met a recruiter at a career fair at my school. I was instructed to apply at my school's career website and the firm's website. I was requested for an interview about 2 weeks later. The night before the interview they held a mandatory info session. The next morning was the interview.