ALDI

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at ALDI

Interview Details Was recruited by a DM. He told me to go visit a couple of stores and get back with him to set up a formal interview. And if that 1st interview goes well he would pass me onto the Director of my area. O I think normally it would be a 3 stage interview process but if you are being recruited it will be a 2 stage interview process. If you are not being recruited you have to attend one of their job fairs that the advertise in the paper and on Craigslist.

Interview Question – Why did you not go into another field.   Answer Question

Lawrence, KS (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at ALDI in January 2014.

Interview Details Was called by a recruiter and they set up an interview very quickly(within a few days) with the District Manager.

Interview Question – When was the last time you experimented with drugs?   View Answer

DFW, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in October 2013.

Interview Details Started off with a recruiter phone call that was the initial phone interview. The next week, I had a group interview with 2 DMs. And the week after that, interviewed with a Director. Then began screening process.

Interview Question – What are you like as a leader and how do you lead?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I feel "Aldi management" is not real management.

Edison, NJ (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in May 2013.

Interview Details Approached store manager with my resume and was later called by the district manager for an interview. She asked the standard questions about my management experience and then informed me that the next steps would be another interview with another district manager then an interview with a director of operations, then a background check and drug test. She probed me repeatedly about fessing up to anything that may show up on either the background check or drug test. Was later called for an interview with the director of operations. I skipped the second interview somehow. Fairly easy interview, same questions as the first interview and then the same scare tactics about the background check and drug test. He even went so far as to tell me (falsely) that they sometimes do hair follicle tests to see my reaction. Went for the urine test and was offered the job one week later. The whole process took 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time you worked on developing an underperforming employee and what was the outcome. How did this improve you as a manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Their rates are set.

Store Manager Trainee

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ALDI in May 2013.

Interview Details I went to a job fair with my resume in hand. Handed in the resume and sat down for an interview which I now know was with a recruiter. She asked basic questions and then told me in great detail what the company is about and what they would expect of me. Looking back she most definitely did most of the talking. The recruiter said she thought I was a good fit and arranged for me to interview with someone with the job title along the lines of 'Vice President of Operations'. She was apparently in the next room and introduced us. The part with the VP was more of a normal interview. I got a call from the recruiter later that night saying I should expect a call within a week to setup an interview with a DM and a current GM. I got a call the next day from a DM. The DM interview was pretty easy, but that could be because I interviewed twice already and the questions were similiar/reworded. The DM then offered me conditional employment as long as Background check and drug test came out fine. I had nothing to worry about but he kept stressing honesty was important and that if I told him something was on the background check/drug test, I may still be up for consideration. He kept saying it so I guess honesty is extremely important to them, as it should be. Once everything came back clean he called me and asked when I wanted to start. I told him give me two weeks to quit my current job. He honored it.

Interview Question – The interview with the VP of Operations was the tougher one. I was a employed at the time as a manager in retail. She asked me my greatest weakness. Then immediately after my answer, she asked 'If I were to speak with one of your current employees, what would they say your least favorable trait would be?' They're not difficult questions, but asking both in the same interview was a slick way to give 2 weaknesses. I simply wasn't expecting it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary was the salary, they were not negotiating.

Very Easy Interview

Saginaw, MI (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ALDI in September 2012.

Interview Details The store manager called me in for an interview after I hand delivered an app and my resume a week prior. It literally took five minutes. Easy as pie. I was under the impression that I was being interviewed for a mgr trainee position since it was the only thing I put on my app, and I have mgt experience. The store manager asked me if i was willing to start as a cashier though.. Kind of upsetting since it would've been a demotion for me and I still wonder why she called me in the first place.. Plus since the interview was so short, makes me kind of feel like she knew she wasnt going to hire me anyway.

Interview Question – Who was your favorite professor?   Answer Question

Union City, NJ (US)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in January 2012.

Interview Details The 1st 2 interviews were with the district managers at a store location. One interview was a sit down, and the other was a store walkthrough. Both interviews were very straight forward and they ask many questions about your current job. A 3rd interview was help at the home office of the area.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your job?   Answer Question

Store Manager Trainee

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at ALDI in March 2011.

Interview Details Ask basic questions that you would expect when applying for a retail job.. "what would you do if you saw an employee stealing?" Not too many difficult questions. Make sure to ask questions about the position, as it seems that is a big factor in their decision making.

Interview Question – What would do if you saw an employee steal from the cash register?   View Answer

Store Manager Trainee

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in August 2010.

Interview Details Process was very very lengthy...as mentioned by previous posters they ask you NUMEROUS times to come clean on any past crimes committed or stuff that would show up on a background check...scare tactics as well, telling you how difficult the job is and how hectic the work pace is, they do give you an opportunity to talk to curretn employees but they are often times to busy, the one exception was before the store opened at one interview, she was very open and honest...had 4 interviews and a cattle call open house where you just filled out an application...have heard from others that there is absolutely no work/life balance at aldi and they want to make you clear of that during the interview process..

Interview Question – What is your biggest accomplishment in life   Answer Question

Store Manager Trainee

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at ALDI in January 2010.

Interview Details There was 4 face to face interviews. A federal background check and a drug test were required. A resume was not, as they never looked at my resume. An application was the only information requested from me.

Interview Question – What experience do you have with P&L statements, creating budgets, and writing schedules?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Working weekends are required

Interviews for Top Jobs at ALDI

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ALDI Store Manager Trainee interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by ALDI employees and interview candidates.