ASDA

Updated 23 Feb 2015
Updated 23 Feb 2015

2.3

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA.

I applied online and was invited to attend an Asda Magic event. There were about 11 of us. We were kept standing in reception for around 40 minutes then escorted to the training room which contains a rectangle of desks with chairs. There was a name sticker for each of us.

We had a short talk from each of 3 people about their personal experience working for Asda, which was very interesting. We then had to pair off, learn about our partner, and take turns presenting them to the rest of the group. We had an extensive tour of the building, then returned to the training room. We were grouped in 3s and 4s and had to compete to build the best house of cards in a time limit, which was the final activity before leaving.

I got called back for an interview a few days later. After I arrived I had to wait in reception while they tried to find someone to interview me. After about 50 minutes I was taken directly to the shop floor for my "have a go" experience (just some shelf stacking and a chance to chat to other staff and ask them any questions). I was then interviewed by a random section leader as the one who would be my boss couldn't be found. She was very pleasant and just went through a basic form with me. She told me I would hear at the weekend if I had the job (although it was actually a couple of weeks later).

Interview Questions
    • What did you enjoy about the "have a go" experience?   View Answer

Personal Shopper Interview

Group interview, have to introduce the person next to you ... ask name and why they want to work at asda; and choose a product from a bag and sell to other. Simply interview questions about costumer service.

Part-time Colleague Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ASDA.

Quick hiring process, received a phone call a few days after completing online application form inviting me to a group interview the following week. Group interview was fun, fairly informal and nothing to be nervous about. It started off with everyone being put into pairs and you then had to introduce the person sitting next to you - name, age, where they live, hobbies, why the want to work at Asda and one thing you would put in a time capsule - so that everyone could get to know each other. After this everyone was divided into groups of 4 and you had to construct the highest tower you could out of spaghetti and marshmallows. At this point we were also asked to fill in forms about what section of the store we wanted to work in and what our availability was. This struck me as slightly odd as the form I'd filled in online was for a specific role, as had all the other people in the interview. The day after the group interview i received a phone call inviting me for an individual interview the following day. Here i was asked questions about the skills I'd developed and scenarios in which I'd helped customers before. (If you've never had a job before they have a different set of questions to ask you.) They then offered me a temporary contract on checkouts (not remotely what I'd applied for but hey ho) and I was then sent down onto the shop floor with a "buddy" to experience working on a checkout and see if I liked it and wanted to accept the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a colleague who wasn't pulling their weight?   Answer Question

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, Scotland (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA.

There was a group of us (8) and went through some simple tasks. About five managers (I can't remember exactly) went through the group interview with us.

First part was where we paired with the person we sat beside and were given a few minutes to find out a bit about the person and why they want to join ASDA, which we then reiterated to the group. I think it was basically a test of how well you listen.

Next task was where we all formed together as one group and had to think up the pros and cons of a particular product, which was their Bag for Life, and how we would market them. We were given time to discuss it amongst ourselves and then someone was nominated as spokesperson (by basically speaking first when no one else did, which I did) and explained it to the managers. A simple test of teamwork.

Next task was a bit time on the shop floor doing some stacking and seeing how well you got on. That was for about 10 minutes.

Finally, each of the managers took us for an individual interview and asked us the typical things such as "Tell me about yourself" and "What is your working process"? Just answer in a way that is customer-oriented and it's simple.

That was it. Of the people there only one person didn't get that job and that's basically because she didn't speak voluntarily. I only heard her speak once and that was at the beginning. Everyone else said something or made a contribution and presumably that was they were after: someone with a bit of confidence and willing to work with the team.

ASDA Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ASDA in November 2014.

I found an advert for ASDA colleague on the Universal Jobmatch website. The link redirected to an automated online application form on the ASDA website. I had to answer many questions, focusing mostly on customer service. I answered the questions thinking what the company would like me to say rather than being honest. I had a call from the payroll department of the local store about 10 days later and invited to an interview. I expected a group interview, instead it was a 1-2-1 interview with one of the executives. I was then verbally offered a 25 hours a week position at the checkouts. Nect Sunday I was invited for a group induction where we were shown boring videos with much salespeople slang. We had to fill some questionaires based on the video but the team leader would suggest the answers. Eventually we all signed the contracts and started working the same week.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you were successful after putting much effort in your cause.   Answer Question
    The only negotiation possible is about the shifts during the week. In my case I asked to work weekends and they were quite happy with that.

Christmas Temp Interview

interviewed at ASDA in November 2014.

Online application customer service questions then English comprehension and basic maths followed by asda magic group interview ,then one to one interview the following week. Whole process taking around 2 weeks. Process was good people were friendly.

Wanted perminant role

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Loughborough, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Loughborough, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA in November 2014.

very good the staff were very good and easy to talk to they made you feel at easy and they want you to succeed and get on they are looking for people that are all rounder's that can help others

Seasonal Employee Interview

I applied online and was invited to a group selection interview shortly after. the group selection interview was very informal and fun. we had to find out about our partner and introduce them to the group individually, we then were given the task to build something out of balloons, and tell the interviewers how many balloons high it was going to be and also give it a name. I had the ide of building a flower, which our team did and we won the challenge. we were then taken out to the shop floor and told about tasks that colleagues have to do everyday and we had to locate milk and write down what aisle we found it in. after this we went back into the interview room and had to write down which department we would like to work in and what hours we could do. then the interview was over.

a week later I was asked to come back for a one-to-one interview. again this interview was very informal and I was only asked a few questions and it only lasted 5-10 minutes. I was then told that I had been successful and I'd got the job.

some tips for the interview stages - don't be too serious, everyone at asda is really fun and outgoing, don't forget that the interviewers themselves had to go through the same interview as you once, engage in conversation with the interviewer and don't be afraid to ask questions, don't dress too formal the interviews are very laid back, go for smart casual, good luck!

Interview Questions
    don't be afraid to ask more questions about the job role like hours etc, asda are very flexible.

ASDA Colleague Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASDA.

Had an interview for the position of Asda colleague this week, the interview was one of the strangest I have ever had. To begin with it was a group interview, with a manager leading it, and three colleagues around the room taking notes. We had to partner up with the person sat next to us, ask them some questions, and then present back to the room, introducing the person next to us. Next we were split into two groups of four, and asked to create a presentation about ideas for improving a customers experience in the store, and then present back to the room. Our next challenge involved us being split into 2 different groups, and we were told to go into a room and look at a structure which had been made from childrens building blocks, we were then told to go into our groups and recreate the structure, every 5 minutes 1 person from the group was allowed to go back in to look at the structure, so that you could make changes.

The next stage of the process was the one to one interviews, which I felt were conducted in a strange way, as the asda colleagues interviewed me, I am not use to it being somebody who would be a peer conducting interviews, I am more use to speaking to a manager, or supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were offered more training opportunities to advance your career?   View Answer

ASDA Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chester, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chester, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ASDA in October 2014.

Sent application Thursday, received phone call inviting to group interview on Friday, attended group interview Monday, received call inviting me to one to one interview Tuesday, went to one to one interview Wednesday, offered job Thursday. An extremely fast process. For the group interview we were asked to introduce a partner. We then split into groups and were asked to make a presentation on what we would do for the big opening of the store (the store hadn't opened yet) and ho we would support the community in the long term. We were watched by five Asda colleagues who were making notes and 'scoring' us. The one to one interview was more of a chat than an interview. I was asked when I had gone above and beyond for a customer before, and about my general experience and hours. The jobs I had a applied for were no longer available so I was informed of alternative options.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, all details had been discussed prior to offer.