Advance Auto Parts

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.4

Commercial Driver Interview

The application on the website was long but fairly easy. The interview was short, more conversational and they wanted to know my availability more and after a drug test I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't a difficult question, very straightforward   Answer Question

Advance Auto Driver Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

I only went on one interview with one manager. He asked questions about my previous work history. The interview lasted about five minutes. He was late for my interview because they were short on drivers. He told me they had to run a SLED background and a DMV background check.He gave me a paper to take for my drug test and said we will discuss what I would be getting paid after I took the drug test. (Which I thought was a little backwards most place tell you that information the same day they say you have the job)He called me back within three days of me taking my drug test.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult question just all basic interview questions   Answer Question
    If you are going to work here find out what you are going to get paid before you accept the offer because there is no room for negotiation.

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2014.

I was initially contacted by an out of the area HR employee who conducted a general phone screening. I was then scheduled for an in person interview with the local District manager and a panel of other tenured General Managers from the area. I was contacted 2 weeks later and scheduled for an in person interview with the area HR Director and the Territory VP. I then was asked to come in for a final meeting two weeks later for a job offer. According to this DM the normal time frame start to finish is usually 2-3 weeks but there were unexpected delays (Territory VP's Vacation). Advance Auto Parts is in the beginning stages of positioning themselves as a sales organization so be prepared to talk about how you will create and inspire a sales culture in your store.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected but DEFINATELY thorough. Both of my face to face interviews were face to face and with 3+ people.   View Answer
    Yes there was negotiation. The DM was very upfront about company set pay ranges and even printed off detailed breakdowns of how my bonus structure works. He used the real numbers from my store to calculate average monthly bonuses for the past year.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plymouth, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in August 2014.

Applied online, got a call back from an interviewer to set up a phone interview. After phone interview, given appointment for an interview in person with the District Manager, about an hour's drive away. Upon arrival for my interview, after a few questions, was told that the position I had applied for was filled two weeks prior, and another position within a reasonable drive had been filled just that day.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in an auto parts store, even though you have no auto repair experience?   View Answer

The job offered was NOT in the region I had applied for.

Parts Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2014.

Saw post online on craigslist or career builder. Went to job fair and had two interviews.....Received a call to come take drug test. Received call to come in for first day of training on computer.

Interview Questions
    • What additional part would you suggest to a customer if he asked for brake pads?   View Answer
    Take it or leave it!!!

Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, NC (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2014.

Went through interview process and was very pleased but was offered a better job. They were obliged by it and don't have any objections. I told them that I might be back of things didn't go well with this job.

Offered a better job.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in March 2011.

Regional HR called, set up phone interview
    Phone interview with Reg. HR 30min
    Panel interview with Reg. HR, 2 District Managers, 1 Store manager - 1 hr+, included testing on math skills, p&l knowledge, role playing customer, employee, and supervisor situations, and questions from each panel member on management style, values, strengths, and weakness

Interview Questions
    The first store I was offered I turned down, I accepted a second location that became available 2 months later. Wage was negotiated with in a week. I would suggest looking to see what the average pay is as I believe I would have been able to negotiate a higher wage. Raises, bonus, and other benefits are standard and not truly negotiable.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in June 2011.

It was very easy process, first job interview was only few questions. then next job interview was basically to accept the job offer. Very basic interview questions regard to automotive knowledge and experience. Some questions may vary such as "why do you want to work for Advance auto parts?"

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Carolina, PR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carolina, PR (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in September 2011.

First you need to apply online in their web page and fill out the long application and answer the questions that are given to you in an online exam. Then if you pass they will get you an interview in about 2 to 6 weeks if lucky. And you will have a quick interview and basically you start working soon after.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you about your knowledge about cars and about your salesman abilities.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Xenia, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Xenia, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

I applied online, showed up for the interview, and I was hired on the spot. Probably the easiest interview process ever. Took a drug screen and had to pass a background check. I discussed with the manager the expectations of the sales associate role and the logistics of the company. The manager explained to me that a sales associate will be written up if they don't meet the SPH goal. But, the manager said that someone would really have to slack to not meet the SPH goal.

Interview Questions
    There was not a negotiation phase.

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!