Advisory Board

Getting the Interview

457 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chennai

I applied in-person - interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2013.

Interview Details I have a concern with this process; When i had the telephonic conversation with hr, I clearly mentioned that I am not a Database expert. Even after mentioning that, interview was completely in database and none of the other areas were covered. I guess interviewer knows only db, and he was just focusing on how to optimize queries which i feel is not the right question non db expert...

I can switch between programming languages and even work with sql in future, but for interview sake, to test my logic skills, problems should have been in languages which is already in my Resume, so that I’ll be even more comfortable.

At least for others, please take care of this concern, otherwise its a complete waste of time for me and for your technical panel.

Making me to travel during weekday office hours to ask questions which is not in my Resume sounds bad to me; Please plan well by organizing a telephonic discussion with technical panel before to understand the requirement correctly; Kindly don't do this for other candidates at least.

Interview Question – questions from skills not mentioned in my resume - cant say it as tough; its weird and interview was not in professional way...   Answer Question

Chennai

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in October 2010.

Interview Details The interview process had 4 technical rounds, and couple of HR rounds.

I was contacted by the company, and had a basic HR discussion. Then, as i was in a different city, I was given a time for 1st round technical interview over telephone.
-> This round has all the questions from OOP concenpts, .net, C#, sql and some logical questions ranging from basic to difficult.

Then I got another slot for another technical interview with a senior manager, telephonic
-> In this round, I was asked about my current project, other work experience, some fundamental technical questions, some managerial and team handling questions.

The 3rd round was with a technical director from US
-> Questions were mainly problem solving, analytic capabilities, high level designing, and importantly technology awareness (like what is happening all over the technical world)

The 4th round was with Mr CTO, from US
-> Again high level problem solving and design problems. Aim was not to see if I knew the answer, but to see how I analyze a problem and approach solutions

Interview Question – You can always expect question on how some well known products work like facebook, amazon, gmail etc   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was easy, they happily agreed to what I had asked.

Specialist Java Interview

Chennai

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2013.

Interview Details Telephonicvisory Interview process is divided in to 4 rounds or sometimes five rounds too. Initially applied to their career id, got a call from the recruiter to take up a tech discussion, there were 4 rounds of discussion
Telephonic level 1
1. Brief about you
2.how much % of your daily work involves coding, was askrd to rate my self on core java, j2ee,
design patterns, jpa, springs, sql
3. Questions on data structures, big o complexity, sorting, java 5 features, varargs, race condition they are expecting in depth knowledge, lisyeners in servlets, enumerator interface, their constrctors etc etc
4. J2ee focus on problem solving.
5. Scenario based questions mostly
6. Sql queries, joins, sub queries, limit

It went for 1.5 hrs

Telephonic roubd 2 then 2 more face to face from US ppl

Full pbm solving, tree data structure, jvm rekated questions, scenario, sql questions,

Tel1

Interview Question – Telephonic Interview process is divided in to 4 rounds or sometimes five rounds too. Initially applied to their career id, got a call from the recruiter to take up a tech discussion, there were 4 rounds of discussion
Telephonic level 1
1. Brief about you
design patterns, jpa, springs, sql
4. J2ee focus on problem solving.
5. Scenario based questions mostly
6. Sql queries, joins, sub queries, limit

It went for 1.5 hrs

Telephonic roubd 2

Telephonic 3

From us ppl mostly pbm solving and data structures, jpa, springs advanced questions

Write a binary search algorithm, threads, string matching pbms
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Good

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2013.

Interview Details My first interview happened over phone with the HR head of the company. She seemed very friendly and relaxed and asked typical HR questions. I thought I had done well but couldn't get through to the next round.

Chennai

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2012.

Interview Details Round 1
• Face to Face Interview
1. Technical Background
2. Reason for change
3. Communication
4. Adaptability to ABCO Work Environment & Culture
[Willingness to work in product based company
Vision about the individual in next n years
Involvement in Product
Willingness to take responsibility]
5. Basic level questions in Programming language (C#) and concepts.
6. Justify the logic written in problem solving round
Examples
1. What is an abstract class?
2. Explain Interface.
3. Explain some of the known design patterns, such as Singleton.
4. Explain Big-O-notation.
5. Difference between Structural Programming and Object Oriented Programming.
6. Difference between ASP.Net Web Forms and MVC.
7. Explain the process of unit testing you practice, along with the tools, if you use any.
8. Most of the other questions are based on Resume content & Projects.
9. Most of the questions are mainly focused on OOPs concepts.
10. Given a chance to explain the logic adopted to solve the written test problem.

Round 2
Process
• Telephonic Discussion, from Chennai Office.
Expectations
1. Intermediate level technical questions.
2. Focused mainly on the area in which the candidate is strong in.
1. Object Oriented Programming Concepts
2. Difference between Abstract Class and Interfaces
3. Practical application of abstract class and interfaces
4. SQL Server DML based questions
5. Difference between SQL Joins

Interview Question – Round 3
Process
• Telephonic Discussion, from Washington DC.
Expectations
1. Advanced level technical questions.
2. Situation based questions.
3. Interest and Enthusiasm towards technical updates.
4. Analytical & Reasoning skills.
5. The interviewer may provide a URI, where the candidate may type code snippets and the interviewer can review.
Examples
1. Language Integrated Query.
2. Current technologies Microsoft is working on (e.g. Windows 8 & Windows Phone 7).
3. Write a function that accepts an integer and returns the number of 1’s after converting it to its corresponding binary format.
e.g. 5 returns 2, since 5 => 101, which contains two 1’s
4. What are the ways that you can adopt to optimize the code that you have just written?
5. Some SQL Queries, DML based, focused on Joins.

Round 4
Process
• Telephonic Discussion, from Washington DC.
Expectations
1. Very much similar to the 3rd round, except that the thinking skills are measured more than the technical skills.
1. Big-O-Notation.
2. Write a function that returns a Boolean, and accepts
a. An array of integer
b. An integer, say ‘x’
If any of the two numbers in the array add to make ‘x’, return true.
Return false, if none of the combination in the array satisfies the condition.
3. Optimizing the code for best performance, centered on Big-O-Notation.
4. Consider an SQL Table say Item, containing 2 fields
a. Product
b. Category
And the table is populated with some sample data, say
Product Category
Apple Fruit
Broccoli Vegetable
Orange Fruit
Milk Diary
Write an SQL query that returns the Category, which has the maximum existence.
In this case, it should return Fruit, since it has maximum occurrence – twice.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They just asked for my expected CTC & payed more than requested

Programmer Interview

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details Interview was not related to technology.

Interview Question – How can you connect multiple datasource   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Chennai

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2013.

Interview Details They have two F2F technical interview rounds. Their focus area was data structures.
This is how 1st round of my interview went
1) Tell me about yourself
2) What are the frameworks in .net and their differences?
3) What is the purpose of protected internal access specifier?
4) They gave me the following program
     There are 2 char arrays ex: ABC, CBA. I was asked to write code to check 2 conditions
     i) Two char arrays should have same characters.
     ii) The frequency of a character in the both the arrays should be same.
     If both are satisfied, the function should return true otherwise false.
I've proposed some solution,but they want the best and optimized one.
5) Write a SQL query to get the maximum count of employees in a department.
For this they want me design the table structure and provide the best available query.
6) Difference between primary key and candidate key?

I prepared for .net and got ds questions in return, so the interview didn't go well. They didn't mention anything regarding selection/rejection. They just said that they will communicate the details later.

Interview Question – Questions on data structures.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Dedicated Advisor Interview

Dedicated Advisor
Mangalore

I applied through other source - interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2011.

Interview Details i had written exam in this field .that time very difficult for me .nw i can mannage myself

Interview Question – yes   View Answer

Chennai

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2012.

Interview Details Contacted by HR through my profile on the job search sites.
Was informed four/five levels of interview in total.
Interviewers and the HR were extremely helpful and prompt in timings.
I was interviewed for a .Net developer position.
Questions were mainly from c# Object Oriented programming, basics of ASP.NET, how a browser works, some algorithmic problems.
Could not clear all the interviews.

Interview Question – Questions are in general, highly technical including some algorithmic problems related to strings   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Chennai

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details you need to have very good commmunication skills to even get to the first round.
then its all basic sql questions like joins,Sp's,unions,constraints like primary ,foreign ,unique key,etc

Interviews for Top Jobs at Advisory Board

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advisory Board interview questions and advice. All 457 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Advisory Board employees and interview candidates.