Advisory Board Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2014.

Interview process took approx 15 days. There were 4 rounds of technical interview, all through phone and one HR round on skype. Three technical interview were from Chennai focusing mainly on .net, design pattern and database designs. Fourth round was from some director from austin. He asked questions related to data structures and performance. Some general questions related to profile were also being asked.

Interview Questions
    • check a number is Fibbonacci series or not using iterative and recursive methods.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Was given more than what I asked for

Software Engineer Interview

One of my friend attended. 5 round interview. Please refer with basics and your project. My friend was offered 7.5 L package. He is in BI domain, placed in a dev project.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

4 rounds - 2 from Chennai , 2 from Austin

. . .

Interview Questions
    • Understand how Amazon works
      Understand how Google works
      Also be prepared on Algo /DS . Big O, etc ..
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Had total of 5 rounds - 4 technical and 1 HR
    Covered questions from almost all topics including Data Structures, Algorithms, Big O Analysis, Java, Design Patterns, SQL queries and so on (write code). The panel does test your logical and analytic skills.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sorted array of numbers. Construct a balanced binary tree with the numbers in the Array as keys.   Answer Question
    They pay really well and offered more than what I asked for.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coimbatore
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coimbatore

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2013.

It was a 2-day campus hiring process. They had shortlisted three hundred odd candidates for the written test from their resumes.

Written Test : It was a 2 hour test on general aptitude, C programming, little on OOP concepts and 2 programming questions to check your ability on programming and algorithms. The unusual part was that the test consists of objective type questions without options, i.e write the output/ answers to the question. The two programming questions were on array based, string based.

Group Discussion: They had filtered us to 17th of the written test strength. It happened on the same evening. Not many get eliminated in the GD unless they have very poor communication skills. They will approve you if you have the content right even though if your language is not very commanding.

Technical Discussion: Most of the discussion goes on the solutions to the written test and they will want to know how you arrived at the answer. They do not want people who ended up cracking the test by mere fluke or blind concepts. Understand the concepts, know the fundamentals and explain the solution in a simple manner. Specially, the programming questions. They would want to know if you have the right foundation in algorithms. Concepts on Big o and optimization of the solution what you have written. Make sure you learn the best solution before the interview even if you dint write the best solution. They might want to know if you have really mulled on the problem which was thrown at you.

Apart from the test questions, they might cover a few projects in your resume. Explain with clarity and conceptually. Make sure you act as a team player and not dominating team member. Take ownership of your piece of work but give due credits to the team members too. They respect that too.

Few questions on your expectations on the internship and if you have any offer from other companies. They would appreciate if you have experience working as an intern in any other company prior. They expect the candidate to be an all rounder and also passionate about technology.

They take a note of everything you say and claim. They actually create a short profile observation from your performance. Not everyone get passes through this round. Only 18 cleared this round.

HR Round: They don't want mere programmers. They need ambitious, genuine, enthusiastic people. This round is just to see if you have the maturity to get settled in their environment. Its usually the management team which takes these rounds, and all of them are highly qualified experienced people. You will answer crisp and to the point for their questions. Few technology questions might me put up to see your passion on it. Mostly its about your personality and interests. They would want to see what really interests you. Take accountability for whatever you state.

They hired 12 of us finally. They usually don't hire freshers. But we were the second batch to get experimented as interns. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • If you want to be a specialist on a specific area or an all rounder?   Answer Question
    Excellent learning curve and great work culture. Ambiance is great with some time for work and equal amount of time to play. Internship projects are really trendy where they put you through a lot of deadlines and delivery, which leads you to learn more eventually to be on our toes all the time. Stipend is good/decent. I would recommend this internship for every fresher.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2014.

4 rounds of interview where in 3 were technical and 1 was managerial rounds.
    Questions were Ok. More on databases like how to take backup of database, how to run .sql file etc.
    Some sql queries.

Agreed to what i Asked.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

I applied in-person - interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2013.

I have a concern with this process; When i had the telephonic conversation with hr, I clearly mentioned that I am not a Database expert. Even after mentioning that, interview was completely in database and none of the other areas were covered. I guess interviewer knows only db, and he was just focusing on how to optimize queries which i feel is not the right question non db expert...

I can switch between programming languages and even work with sql in future, but for interview sake, to test my logic skills, problems should have been in languages which is already in my Resume, so that I’ll be even more comfortable.

At least for others, please take care of this concern, otherwise its a complete waste of time for me and for your technical panel.

Making me to travel during weekday office hours to ask questions which is not in my Resume sounds bad to me; Please plan well by organizing a telephonic discussion with technical panel before to understand the requirement correctly; Kindly don't do this for other candidates at least.

Interview Questions
    • questions from skills not mentioned in my resume - cant say it as tough; its weird and interview was not in professional way...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in October 2010.

The interview process had 4 technical rounds, and couple of HR rounds.

I was contacted by the company, and had a basic HR discussion. Then, as i was in a different city, I was given a time for 1st round technical interview over telephone.
    -> This round has all the questions from OOP concenpts, .net, C#, sql and some logical questions ranging from basic to difficult.

Then I got another slot for another technical interview with a senior manager, telephonic
    -> In this round, I was asked about my current project, other work experience, some fundamental technical questions, some managerial and team handling questions.

The 3rd round was with a technical director from US
    -> Questions were mainly problem solving, analytic capabilities, high level designing, and importantly technology awareness (like what is happening all over the technical world)

The 4th round was with Mr CTO, from US
    -> Again high level problem solving and design problems. Aim was not to see if I knew the answer, but to see how I analyze a problem and approach solutions

Interview Questions
    • You can always expect question on how some well known products work like facebook, amazon, gmail etc   View Answer
    Was easy, they happily agreed to what I had asked.

Specialist Java Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2013.

Telephonicvisory Interview process is divided in to 4 rounds or sometimes five rounds too. Initially applied to their career id, got a call from the recruiter to take up a tech discussion, there were 4 rounds of discussion
    Telephonic level 1
    1. Brief about you
    2.how much % of your daily work involves coding, was askrd to rate my self on core java, j2ee,
    design patterns, jpa, springs, sql
    3. Questions on data structures, big o complexity, sorting, java 5 features, varargs, race condition they are expecting in depth knowledge, lisyeners in servlets, enumerator interface, their constrctors etc etc
    4. J2ee focus on problem solving.
    5. Scenario based questions mostly
    6. Sql queries, joins, sub queries, limit

It went for 1.5 hrs

Telephonic roubd 2 then 2 more face to face from US ppl

Full pbm solving, tree data structure, jvm rekated questions, scenario, sql questions,

Tel1

Interview Questions
    • Telephonic Interview process is divided in to 4 rounds or sometimes five rounds too. Initially applied to their career id, got a call from the recruiter to take up a tech discussion, there were 4 rounds of discussion
      Telephonic level 1
      1. Brief about you
      design patterns, jpa, springs, sql
      4. J2ee focus on problem solving.
      5. Scenario based questions mostly
      6. Sql queries, joins, sub queries, limit

It went for 1.5 hrs

Telephonic roubd 2

Telephonic 3

From us ppl mostly pbm solving and data structures, jpa, springs advanced questions

Write a binary search algorithm, threads, string matching pbms
        Answer Question
    Good

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2013.

My first interview happened over phone with the HR head of the company. She seemed very friendly and relaxed and asked typical HR questions. I thought I had done well but couldn't get through to the next round.

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!