Advisory Board

Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Data Analyst Interview

Junior Data Analyst
Chennai

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

Interview Details Abco advisory services india private limited data analyst interview facts

mark zuckerberg fails in the screening round of Junior data analyst
Bills gates in the first round
Steve jobs in the The Final round
IIM has decided eligibility critieria for Junior data analyst , all the Principal with 20 + year exp can apply now
Rajnikanth became a Bus conductor because he knew he is not fit to be promoted as Data Analyst from Junior data analyst.

Interview Question – junior data analyst at ABCO is the highly paid salary in the world   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details 4 rounds - 2 from Chennai , 2 from Austin

. . .

Interview Question – Understand how Amazon works
Understand how Google works
Also be prepared on Algo /DS . Big O, etc ..
  Answer Question

Chennai

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Interview Details Had total of 5 rounds - 4 technical and 1 HR
Covered questions from almost all topics including Data Structures, Algorithms, Big O Analysis, Java, Design Patterns, SQL queries and so on (write code). The panel does test your logical and analytic skills.

Interview Question – Given a sorted array of numbers. Construct a balanced binary tree with the numbers in the Array as keys.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They pay really well and offered more than what I asked for.

Intern Interview

Intern
Coimbatore

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2013.

Interview Details It was a 2-day campus hiring process. They had shortlisted three hundred odd candidates for the written test from their resumes.

Written Test : It was a 2 hour test on general aptitude, C programming, little on OOP concepts and 2 programming questions to check your ability on programming and algorithms. The unusual part was that the test consists of objective type questions without options, i.e write the output/ answers to the question. The two programming questions were on array based, string based.

Group Discussion: They had filtered us to 17th of the written test strength. It happened on the same evening. Not many get eliminated in the GD unless they have very poor communication skills. They will approve you if you have the content right even though if your language is not very commanding.

Technical Discussion: Most of the discussion goes on the solutions to the written test and they will want to know how you arrived at the answer. They do not want people who ended up cracking the test by mere fluke or blind concepts. Understand the concepts, know the fundamentals and explain the solution in a simple manner. Specially, the programming questions. They would want to know if you have the right foundation in algorithms. Concepts on Big o and optimization of the solution what you have written. Make sure you learn the best solution before the interview even if you dint write the best solution. They might want to know if you have really mulled on the problem which was thrown at you.

Apart from the test questions, they might cover a few projects in your resume. Explain with clarity and conceptually. Make sure you act as a team player and not dominating team member. Take ownership of your piece of work but give due credits to the team members too. They respect that too.

Few questions on your expectations on the internship and if you have any offer from other companies. They would appreciate if you have experience working as an intern in any other company prior. They expect the candidate to be an all rounder and also passionate about technology.

They take a note of everything you say and claim. They actually create a short profile observation from your performance. Not everyone get passes through this round. Only 18 cleared this round.

HR Round: They don't want mere programmers. They need ambitious, genuine, enthusiastic people. This round is just to see if you have the maturity to get settled in their environment. Its usually the management team which takes these rounds, and all of them are highly qualified experienced people. You will answer crisp and to the point for their questions. Few technology questions might me put up to see your passion on it. Mostly its about your personality and interests. They would want to see what really interests you. Take accountability for whatever you state.

They hired 12 of us finally. They usually don't hire freshers. But we were the second batch to get experimented as interns. Good luck!

Interview Question – If you want to be a specialist on a specific area or an all rounder?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Excellent learning curve and great work culture. Ambiance is great with some time for work and equal amount of time to play. Internship projects are really trendy where they put you through a lot of deadlines and delivery, which leads you to learn more eventually to be on our toes all the time. Stipend is good/decent. I would recommend this internship for every fresher.

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer
Chennai

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2014.

Interview Details 4 rounds of interview where in 3 were technical and 1 was managerial rounds.
Questions were Ok. More on databases like how to take backup of database, how to run .sql file etc.
Some sql queries.

Negotiation Details – Agreed to what i Asked.

Chennai

I applied in-person - interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2013.

Interview Details I have a concern with this process; When i had the telephonic conversation with hr, I clearly mentioned that I am not a Database expert. Even after mentioning that, interview was completely in database and none of the other areas were covered. I guess interviewer knows only db, and he was just focusing on how to optimize queries which i feel is not the right question non db expert...

I can switch between programming languages and even work with sql in future, but for interview sake, to test my logic skills, problems should have been in languages which is already in my Resume, so that I’ll be even more comfortable.

At least for others, please take care of this concern, otherwise its a complete waste of time for me and for your technical panel.

Making me to travel during weekday office hours to ask questions which is not in my Resume sounds bad to me; Please plan well by organizing a telephonic discussion with technical panel before to understand the requirement correctly; Kindly don't do this for other candidates at least.

Interview Question – questions from skills not mentioned in my resume - cant say it as tough; its weird and interview was not in professional way...   Answer Question

Chennai

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in October 2010.

Interview Details The interview process had 4 technical rounds, and couple of HR rounds.

I was contacted by the company, and had a basic HR discussion. Then, as i was in a different city, I was given a time for 1st round technical interview over telephone.
-> This round has all the questions from OOP concenpts, .net, C#, sql and some logical questions ranging from basic to difficult.

Then I got another slot for another technical interview with a senior manager, telephonic
-> In this round, I was asked about my current project, other work experience, some fundamental technical questions, some managerial and team handling questions.

The 3rd round was with a technical director from US
-> Questions were mainly problem solving, analytic capabilities, high level designing, and importantly technology awareness (like what is happening all over the technical world)

The 4th round was with Mr CTO, from US
-> Again high level problem solving and design problems. Aim was not to see if I knew the answer, but to see how I analyze a problem and approach solutions

Interview Question – You can always expect question on how some well known products work like facebook, amazon, gmail etc   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was easy, they happily agreed to what I had asked.

Specialist Java Interview

Specialist Java
Chennai

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2013.

Interview Details Telephonicvisory Interview process is divided in to 4 rounds or sometimes five rounds too. Initially applied to their career id, got a call from the recruiter to take up a tech discussion, there were 4 rounds of discussion
Telephonic level 1
1. Brief about you
2.how much % of your daily work involves coding, was askrd to rate my self on core java, j2ee,
design patterns, jpa, springs, sql
3. Questions on data structures, big o complexity, sorting, java 5 features, varargs, race condition they are expecting in depth knowledge, lisyeners in servlets, enumerator interface, their constrctors etc etc
4. J2ee focus on problem solving.
5. Scenario based questions mostly
6. Sql queries, joins, sub queries, limit

It went for 1.5 hrs

Telephonic roubd 2 then 2 more face to face from US ppl

Full pbm solving, tree data structure, jvm rekated questions, scenario, sql questions,

Tel1

Interview Question – Telephonic Interview process is divided in to 4 rounds or sometimes five rounds too. Initially applied to their career id, got a call from the recruiter to take up a tech discussion, there were 4 rounds of discussion
Telephonic level 1
1. Brief about you
design patterns, jpa, springs, sql
4. J2ee focus on problem solving.
5. Scenario based questions mostly
6. Sql queries, joins, sub queries, limit

It went for 1.5 hrs

Telephonic roubd 2

Telephonic 3

From us ppl mostly pbm solving and data structures, jpa, springs advanced questions

Write a binary search algorithm, threads, string matching pbms
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Good

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2013.

Interview Details My first interview happened over phone with the HR head of the company. She seemed very friendly and relaxed and asked typical HR questions. I thought I had done well but couldn't get through to the next round.

Chennai

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2012.

Interview Details Round 1
• Face to Face Interview
1. Technical Background
2. Reason for change
3. Communication
4. Adaptability to ABCO Work Environment & Culture
[Willingness to work in product based company
Vision about the individual in next n years
Involvement in Product
Willingness to take responsibility]
5. Basic level questions in Programming language (C#) and concepts.
6. Justify the logic written in problem solving round
Examples
1. What is an abstract class?
2. Explain Interface.
3. Explain some of the known design patterns, such as Singleton.
4. Explain Big-O-notation.
5. Difference between Structural Programming and Object Oriented Programming.
6. Difference between ASP.Net Web Forms and MVC.
7. Explain the process of unit testing you practice, along with the tools, if you use any.
8. Most of the other questions are based on Resume content & Projects.
9. Most of the questions are mainly focused on OOPs concepts.
10. Given a chance to explain the logic adopted to solve the written test problem.

Round 2
Process
• Telephonic Discussion, from Chennai Office.
Expectations
1. Intermediate level technical questions.
2. Focused mainly on the area in which the candidate is strong in.
1. Object Oriented Programming Concepts
2. Difference between Abstract Class and Interfaces
3. Practical application of abstract class and interfaces
4. SQL Server DML based questions
5. Difference between SQL Joins

Interview Question – Round 3
Process
• Telephonic Discussion, from Washington DC.
Expectations
1. Advanced level technical questions.
2. Situation based questions.
3. Interest and Enthusiasm towards technical updates.
4. Analytical & Reasoning skills.
5. The interviewer may provide a URI, where the candidate may type code snippets and the interviewer can review.
Examples
1. Language Integrated Query.
2. Current technologies Microsoft is working on (e.g. Windows 8 & Windows Phone 7).
3. Write a function that accepts an integer and returns the number of 1’s after converting it to its corresponding binary format.
e.g. 5 returns 2, since 5 => 101, which contains two 1’s
4. What are the ways that you can adopt to optimize the code that you have just written?
5. Some SQL Queries, DML based, focused on Joins.

Round 4
Process
• Telephonic Discussion, from Washington DC.
Expectations
1. Very much similar to the 3rd round, except that the thinking skills are measured more than the technical skills.
1. Big-O-Notation.
2. Write a function that returns a Boolean, and accepts
a. An array of integer
b. An integer, say ‘x’
If any of the two numbers in the array add to make ‘x’, return true.
Return false, if none of the combination in the array satisfies the condition.
3. Optimizing the code for best performance, centered on Big-O-Notation.
4. Consider an SQL Table say Item, containing 2 fields
a. Product
b. Category
And the table is populated with some sample data, say
Product Category
Apple Fruit
Broccoli Vegetable
Orange Fruit
Milk Diary
Write an SQL query that returns the Category, which has the maximum existence.
In this case, it should return Fruit, since it has maximum occurrence – twice.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They just asked for my expected CTC & payed more than requested

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!