Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014

3.1

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I recently had an interview with Alaska Airlines and was offered the position. I think a big reason why I, out of so many interviewees (a lot of whom were Flight Attendants) was successful is because of this website. So, I want to return the favor and help, to the best of my abilities anyone applying.

Prepare, prepare, prepare!!!! The best advice I give you. I went thru every entry and wrote down the questions others said they were asked and spent a lot of time thinking about them and practicing answering them. Im someone who gets very nervous during interviews but since I felt so prepared for what ever they might ask me I wasn't nervous once.

They are watching you at all times! Take notes during the video, look attentive and smile. You dont have to be grinning the whole time like a crazy person, you can smile with your eyes. Just try to look like you're having happy thoughts and not having thoughts about how tired you are from waking up so early and the lack of sleep from the night before.

Youll be split into large groups,here you will be doing some public speaking (yikes, I know). The questions will be easy and more likely than not the first question will be "tell us about the job you were most loyal to and why". Theyll specify that it doesnt necessarily need to be a "job" it could be a volunteer program you worked with or being a Mother. Know that, and I mean this is the nicest way possible, they dont actually care. They want to hear how whatever you answer can be applied to this position. You can say being a mother was yours because its taught you compassion for others or your job at Starbucks because you got to interact with so many different people. See what i'm saying?

After this theyll take a short break then they will announce who will be moving on (most people are cut here). Now its a one-on-one interview with someone from HR and it will be more of a typical interview. Situational questions and questions like are you willing to move (yes, anywhere is the correct answer). When answering know that they want to see your commitment here, tell them how youve looked into rentals for relocating and how working on Holidays isnt a big deal to you.

Finally if youve made it past that round youll be onto the final interview, which is another group interview. There will be a panel of people at a long table with chairs lined up facing them. Its a little intimidating since after their introduction they wont talk, theyll just watch you and write while one interviewer asks questions. What they look for here is how you work in groups, the task they ask you to do isnt as important as your teamwork skills.

Now its over and you can relax! Youll find out if youre offered a position soon after.

Things NOT to do during the interview:

Dont ramble! Keep it short and sweet. So many people in the first group interview when asked a question just talked and talked and talked and often by the time they were done they never really answered the question. If the question is about a past job then answer it as such, dont talk about why youd be such an awesome flight attendant or how youve always loved flying. People tend to ramble when theyre nervous so be sure to prepare.

Dont say youd fix a situation with an upset passenger by giving them free drinks/snacks ( people actually answered like this, more than once!)

Dont be rude to other people interviewing! Remember how I said they were always watching? When the small group of us left were all sitting in the lobby waiting for the final interview and far away from any Alaska employees, there was one girl that dropped the nice act at this point and was rude with me, just someone with a bad attitude. She was the only one of the group not to get an offer and her final interview went just as well as everyones. Maybe Im imagining things but I think they knew somehow that she was being rude (maybe an employee planted as a interviewee?) either way its not worth it and if youre rude to people this isnt the job for you anyways.

This is a wonderful company and if you get cut during the interview process don't be discouraged! Many people weren't successful until the 2ed or 3rd time. So try again in 6 months, it's worth it.

Hope this helps someone and I wish the best of luck to you all!!

Interview Questions
  • Lots of situational things.
    What you'd do about a co worker not working.
    Drunk passenger.
    Coworker rude to passenger
    Sick passenger.

Remember that when answering that the number one priority is passenger safety!
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Alaska Airlines

Application 7/30
    Phone interview 9/8
    F2F 9/23

The process went exactly as previously stated. Video, group, one on one with a FA, one on one with HR and then panel/group. We had four groups and my group had 23. We did a group exercise, introduced ourselves and answered a question, then answered question with a partner and last answered another question solo. I had fun throughout the process despite being nervous. We took a break and they made cuts after. They chose 4 of us. I did make the cut and did the one on ones. When I left, there appeared to be 7 others remaining and I anticipate only 2/3 were offered a cjo.

For anyone about to go to their f2f, my advice is;
    Dress professionally/well groomed
    Be articulate
    It's a long day!! Stay positive, stay fresh!

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied towards the end of July and heard back in the beginning of October. I received an email asking me if I was still interested, willing to relocate, and if I was available to attend an interview at any of their 5 domiciles. I of course said yes and I was available! If you are not willing to relocate or do the crash pad thing this may not be the job for you. You can be based anywhere from San Diego, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, or Anchorage.

I emailed back and scheduled my phone interview for a few days after. The phone interview was pretty basic. Questions like tell me about your customer service, how has your personal life shaped your professional life, are you able to relocate. They will ask you about relocating about 1,000 times because they really need people that are willing to do so. I passed the phone interview and he scheduled me to go to the interview at the Hilton in Orange County right after we finished.

Once I arrived there I was surprised at how steep the competition was. There was about 50+ candidates there and all of them looked like flight attendants already. (Some were current flight attendants and none of them were chosen) Make sure you are dressed professional and conservative. We started with orientation that was super helpful and informative of what life will be like. We then split into groups of about 12 to do our group interviews. Again, questions were basic. Tell me something not on your resume, what would you look for in a flight attendant, etc.. We then took a short break and almost everyone was cut. Only about 14 people made it past this round. They are looking for your positive energy and are watching you at ALL times. Smile, smile, smile!

After the cut was made, we started one on one interviews. We got to talk to a flight attendant informally and they told us more about the life style. There was a lot of waiting at this point so don't get too anxious if you aren't called right away. I then moved on to the HR interview which is you and your interviewer. Here we went over 10 year work history, any criminal activity, (just be honest at this point, they will find out and it won't count against you if you are open) what would you bring to the company, and of course relocating!

Only 8 of us made it to final panel interview. We were split into two groups to organize subjects in matter of importance or danger. Categories were vomit, security threat, fatigue, etc.. Be active and work through your team during this. They will be watching you. They will then bring you back together and you will make a map of their destinations. They aren't looking for accuracy just how well you work with others. Smile be energetic even though this is a LONG process. Only 3 of us were hired, it's a crazy day but it's worth it! :)

Hope this helps! If you don't make it your first try again! They are an amazing company!

Interview Questions
    • Asked to say one word that described what we live for.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Flight Attendant Interview

I was emailed a month or so after i applied. They asked me to answer 5 question and respond as soon as possible. I did so and received a phone interview hours later. It went well be be ready for them to call at anytime!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in September 2014.

phone interview then an invite to come in person split into groups then a scheduled one on one with HR,I did have a tough HR interviewer she, was quickly on to the next question before I completely answered the first one she asked hahaha she was a bit tough to engage with but after all we need to accomplish difficult situations in the airline industry! so no excuse here :0)

Interview Questions
    • all my questions were standard and fun I am always prepared,but I can say the only one that I herd that stumped me a bit in the group interview was " what could Alaska include in its orientation that you knew but that wasn't talked about" there orientation was great/informative so that was a tough one know your stuff and read about the company   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Had phone interview and was invited to the group interview in Seattle. The whole process was fun and enjoyable! There were nearly 160 people showed up and after the 1st group interview most people was out. They only kept around 20 people out of the 160 to go farther to the face to face the the last panel interview(which would be the last interview) everything was done in 1 day. I was out after the 1st group interview. They said you can reapply after 6 month. From what I hear and saw this is a very good company to work for. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in this time.
    1st they show you a video about the company and what to expect along with the benefits. The they divided people to groups in different rooms and you have to stand up to speak in front of about 20 people(each group has about 20) it was really fun!

Interview Questions
    • 1.What's the most royal job you've had and why.
      2 you get to choose a card and will have a partner(who sits next to you) to figure out the answer. Everyone had a different question. Most behavior questions and my was why do you think professionalism is important working for this airline. Others were tell me a time you had to deal with upset customer/ tell me a time you had to deal with someone who was doing something dangerous/ what if your coworker is reading a magazine while you are working during flight/ what do you do when customer refuse to put her husbands ashes away while taking off or landing/ conflict with coworkers/ ect...
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Walked into the lobby of the hotel to check in EARLY. Was asked by the recruiters at the desk for my required documents that I filled out. I was given a number on a sticker and walked into a auditorium to mingle with other hopefuls. Then we watched a presentation/video of life working for Alaska airlines , reserve and the base they were hiring for.
    After this we were split into two groups that were in separate rooms. Each person was given a card that had a question, ( think miss America ) that's how this unravelled. ( stand up , introduce yourself and answer the question )
    I noticed the people with confidence who were soft spoken and very professional with key words like (VOLUNTEER -DIVERSE-DEPENDABLE - PROFESSIONAL AT ALL TIMES-DIFFUSE SITUATIONS) made it to the f2f round . If you were being considered for f2f later in the day, they asked you a follow up question immediately after your response to the question given on the card. ( follow up question is your indication if your in the running to move on for f2f ) then you go on break and they call back in the people that are continuing through the day.
    2 people out of 50 were chosen in my group.
    SMILE
    HAIR UP lady's.... None chooses with hair down

Interview Questions
    • What qualitys do you think an Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant should have?   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2014.

I applied online in June 2014. Had a telephone interview in July and was invited to the recruitment/interview session in Los Angeles July 23. The recruitment session requires a full day if completely successful and started promptly at 8AM. About 50 people showed up at the interviewing hotel. Staff was polite and professional. They said they were hiring many flight attendants over the next year, but ironically didn’t hire many people on this day. They spent an hour giving us a video presentation on the company, the flight attendant position, training, benefits, etc. After a ten minute break, we were divided into four groups of a dozen people or so. We were given a 3x5 card with a question on the back and were asked to read the question aloud and answer it to the group. Everyone got a different question. Questions included Tell Us something About You That’s Not On Your Resume, A Time You Witnessed Someone Doing Something Unsafe, A Time You Worked With a Team to Solve a Problem and others. I cant remember the rest. The recruiters said they would compare notes and return in 30-minutes to decide who gets a panel interview. After keeping us waiting longer than promised, a rep from HR returned and named only 5 people who would continue to the panel interview. They thanked the rest of us for coming and said we could re-apply in 6 months. No current or former airline people in my group were considered!I am a former flight attendant for another airlines and wasnt considered either. I thought the interview structure was set up in a way that eliminated perfectly qualified people, and don’t feel I was given a real chance to present myself, my experience, skills and qualifications. I dont see how they can find the candidates they seek with the way the session is set up and the questions they ask. It was a disappointing experience overall and a waste of time, so I don’t think I will reapply.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if a passenger refuses to buckle their seatbelt?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2014.

I applied for this position and was contacted 1-2 weeks after by email asking when the best time frame would be for a phone interview. They respond telling you exactly when they will call.

My phone interview was a couple of days later. A nice, friendly lady on the phone goes over your basic work history with you. Then they will ask a few questions like how you have resolved a conflict with a customer in the past, what is one of your strengths and a weakness, and a couple of other situational questions (I can't remember them all, but they're pretty basic). My phone interview was 20 minutes long, and at the end (if it goes well enough), they will ask if/when you can interview in person and which location you prefer. The interviews occur in many different locations and you can choose which one is most convenient for you. You pay for your commute to the interview regardless how far you live.

Luckily for me, the interview was very close to my house, only 2 days after my phone interview. It was at a nice hotel. You show up, sign in and meet in a large conference room. There were 100 people in my interview. They go over info about the airline, then split you into groups. You will be asked to introduce yourself and go around answering interview questions i.e. "To which job have you been the most loyal," etc. Stand up straight, speak clearly, smile, show that you are happy to and excited to be there! After a few rounds of group questions, they will either ask you to stay, or you will be let go. NOTE: anyone who was not dressed in business attire like a pant suit, long pencil skirt and dress top and/or blazer was let go at this time!! My advice: dress exactly like a flight attendant. *You do not need to wear your hair up at Alaska Airlines, so that is optional, but keep it somewhat neat and clean.

Next you will meet with a flight attendant to go over basic requirements like "Are you willing to relocate?" etc. Afterwards, you meet with an HR rep. They are friendly and will be writing down your answers. They will go over your 10 year work history, and ask why you left each job. They will ask if you have a criminal background. They will ask "What do you think would be the biggest challenge about becoming a flight attendant?" or "What would be the hardest part about relocating?" They will ask about a time you went above and beyond for customer service, and a few other situational questions. Use the STAR method when answering to the best of your ability. I was a bit nervous, but the HR rep helped by asking more questions to get the full answer if I left anything out (STAR = Situation, Task, Action, Resolution). This part is not hard - be excited, be bubbly, be professional, and stay focused on explaining GREAT customer service that you've provided in the past.

After HR you go back to a waiting room. They will pull you out one by one and tell you if you get to move on, or they will ask you to leave. The next round is a group interview. There were about 15 people left in this round. We did a group activity like using the floor of the room as a map of the united states. You are given cards with city names on them, and as a group you map them out. Do not be overbearing, but get involved. Then there is a final panel of questions. They want to get to know you, see how you interact with others, and get a final idea of how you would deal with particular situations. You will spend a lot of time with the other applicants while waiting for call backs and in between interviews. You will feel comfortable with them by the end which is great. My best advice - don't get TOO comfortable. By the end of the 11 hour interview process you may feel it is ok to make jokes, speak out a little more than you should, and get TOO involved in the group activities. Make sure to remain professional. Be as friendly as you can, but it is still an interview. My best advice is to behave like you're in a beauty pageant that only judges on personality... And how you are dressed.

I did not get a call back but I know what my mistakes were in the last round after much reflection (they do not give you feedback). I am glad I went, and now I know exactly what I need to do in my next interview. Remember, it's ok to be nervous, but if you really believe you have the characteristics to be a great flight attendant, you do not have anything to worry about. Just show them who you are, be VERY polite, make friends and have a great time.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a drunk customer demanding more drinks?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applies online 4/8 received an email with general questions. Waiting for next step.