Alaska Airlines Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 24, 2014
Updated Aug 24, 2014
82 interviews

Flight Attendant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2014.

I applied for this position and was contacted 1-2 weeks after by email asking when the best time frame would be for a phone interview. They respond telling you exactly when they will call.

My phone interview was a couple of days later. A nice, friendly lady on the phone goes over your basic work history with you. Then they will ask a few questions like how you have resolved a conflict with a customer in the past, what is one of your strengths and a weakness, and a couple of other situational questions (I can't remember them all, but they're pretty basic). My phone interview was 20 minutes long, and at the end (if it goes well enough), they will ask if/when you can interview in person and which location you prefer. The interviews occur in many different locations and you can choose which one is most convenient for you. You pay for your commute to the interview regardless how far you live.

Luckily for me, the interview was very close to my house, only 2 days after my phone interview. It was at a nice hotel. You show up, sign in and meet in a large conference room. There were 100 people in my interview. They go over info about the airline, then split you into groups. You will be asked to introduce yourself and go around answering interview questions i.e. "To which job have you been the most loyal," etc. Stand up straight, speak clearly, smile, show that you are happy to and excited to be there! After a few rounds of group questions, they will either ask you to stay, or you will be let go. NOTE: anyone who was not dressed in business attire like a pant suit, long pencil skirt and dress top and/or blazer was let go at this time!! My advice: dress exactly like a flight attendant. *You do not need to wear your hair up at Alaska Airlines, so that is optional, but keep it somewhat neat and clean.

Next you will meet with a flight attendant to go over basic requirements like "Are you willing to relocate?" etc. Afterwards, you meet with an HR rep. They are friendly and will be writing down your answers. They will go over your 10 year work history, and ask why you left each job. They will ask if you have a criminal background. They will ask "What do you think would be the biggest challenge about becoming a flight attendant?" or "What would be the hardest part about relocating?" They will ask about a time you went above and beyond for customer service, and a few other situational questions. Use the STAR method when answering to the best of your ability. I was a bit nervous, but the HR rep helped by asking more questions to get the full answer if I left anything out (STAR = Situation, Task, Action, Resolution). This part is not hard - be excited, be bubbly, be professional, and stay focused on explaining GREAT customer service that you've provided in the past.

After HR you go back to a waiting room. They will pull you out one by one and tell you if you get to move on, or they will ask you to leave. The next round is a group interview. There were about 15 people left in this round. We did a group activity like using the floor of the room as a map of the united states. You are given cards with city names on them, and as a group you map them out. Do not be overbearing, but get involved. Then there is a final panel of questions. They want to get to know you, see how you interact with others, and get a final idea of how you would deal with particular situations. You will spend a lot of time with the other applicants while waiting for call backs and in between interviews. You will feel comfortable with them by the end which is great. My best advice - don't get TOO comfortable. By the end of the 11 hour interview process you may feel it is ok to make jokes, speak out a little more than you should, and get TOO involved in the group activities. Make sure to remain professional. Be as friendly as you can, but it is still an interview. My best advice is to behave like you're in a beauty pageant that only judges on personality... And how you are dressed.

I did not get a call back but I know what my mistakes were in the last round after much reflection (they do not give you feedback). I am glad I went, and now I know exactly what I need to do in my next interview. Remember, it's ok to be nervous, but if you really believe you have the characteristics to be a great flight attendant, you do not have anything to worry about. Just show them who you are, be VERY polite, make friends and have a great time.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a drunk customer demanding more drinks?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Had phone interview and was invited to the group interview in Seattle. The whole process was fun and enjoyable! There were nearly 160 people showed up and after the 1st group interview most people was out. They only kept around 20 people out of the 160 to go farther to the face to face the the last panel interview(which would be the last interview) everything was done in 1 day. I was out after the 1st group interview. They said you can reapply after 6 month. From what I hear and saw this is a very good company to work for. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in this time.
    1st they show you a video about the company and what to expect along with the benefits. The they divided people to groups in different rooms and you have to stand up to speak in front of about 20 people(each group has about 20) it was really fun!

Interview Questions
    • 1.What's the most royal job you've had and why.
      2 you get to choose a card and will have a partner(who sits next to you) to figure out the answer. Everyone had a different question. Most behavior questions and my was why do you think professionalism is important working for this airline. Others were tell me a time you had to deal with upset customer/ tell me a time you had to deal with someone who was doing something dangerous/ what if your coworker is reading a magazine while you are working during flight/ what do you do when customer refuse to put her husbands ashes away while taking off or landing/ conflict with coworkers/ ect...
        Answer Question

Reservations Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Tukwila, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Ridiculous. Tiffany from HR was rude and didn't even give a fair chance to explain things on our work history form. They don't even formally tell you that you aren't hired. They hand a piece of paper to the guy out front (they do it right in front of you) and walk back in the room. Unprofessional.

Ground Service Agent Interview

It was a group interview. They had you answer generic questions about adjusting to changes on the job or scenario-based questions. They eliminate a few people in the first round and then personal interviews are conducted during the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you were in an organization and you had to adapt to change quickly and how did the results affect you?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  El Segundo, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2014.

I applied online in June 2014. Had a telephone interview in July and was invited to the recruitment/interview session in Los Angeles July 23. The recruitment session requires a full day if completely successful and started promptly at 8AM. About 50 people showed up at the interviewing hotel. Staff was polite and professional. They said they were hiring many flight attendants over the next year, but ironically didn’t hire many people on this day. They spent an hour giving us a video presentation on the company, the flight attendant position, training, benefits, etc. After a ten minute break, we were divided into four groups of a dozen people or so. We were given a 3x5 card with a question on the back and were asked to read the question aloud and answer it to the group. Everyone got a different question. Questions included Tell Us something About You That’s Not On Your Resume, A Time You Witnessed Someone Doing Something Unsafe, A Time You Worked With a Team to Solve a Problem and others. I cant remember the rest. The recruiters said they would compare notes and return in 30-minutes to decide who gets a panel interview. After keeping us waiting longer than promised, a rep from HR returned and named only 5 people who would continue to the panel interview. They thanked the rest of us for coming and said we could re-apply in 6 months. No current or former airline people in my group were considered!I am a former flight attendant for another airlines and wasnt considered either. I thought the interview structure was set up in a way that eliminated perfectly qualified people, and don’t feel I was given a real chance to present myself, my experience, skills and qualifications. I dont see how they can find the candidates they seek with the way the session is set up and the questions they ask. It was a disappointing experience overall and a waste of time, so I don’t think I will reapply.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if a passenger refuses to buckle their seatbelt?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

In June 2014 The process began with filling out an application online. I received an email message from HR which contained six questions that I was to RESPOND PROMPTLY to. Questions: Why do you want to work for Alaska Airlines 2. Are you able to accept a part-time position approx 20-30 hrs per week 3. Do you have open availability (includes weekdays, weekends, early morning, afternoon and late evenings) 4. Are you able to accept a starting wage of $11.69 per hour 5. What time is best to contact you between 8am-4pm 6. What is the best phone number to reach you at. As requested I replied with 20 minutes of receiving the email. The next day I received a voicemail stating a date and time to phone screen and advised to call if the schedule didn't fit. The phone screen lasted 10 minutes typical questions: 1. Describe a time challenging situation at work ..How did you tackle it? 2. Why do you think you are suited for this position 3. Can you tell me of a time when a manager spoke in an angry manner to you or a co-worker how did you handle it? 4. Please share with me what you know about the Alaska Airlines 5. Why did you leave your last position 6. If you are still working for an employer, do you intend to leave your current position and work only for Alaska Airlines or do you plan on working both positions. 7. What do you feel are the qualities a good Customer Service Agent should have 8. How do you handle criticism. 8. How many times have you been late to work. I was then invited to a group interview session in 3 days and told it could last from 8am-5pm. There were approximately 30-40 candidates in the room. HR began with showing promotional videos and then we were introduced to the HR/Recruiting team and hiring manager. The hiring manager explained that they were only hiring for 3 positions. YES 3 positions! The group was split up between group A and group B. Group B included the hiring manager which became obvious to group A. During the session each person in the group was asked a question like: If you worked for a cleaners and ruined a wedding dress the day of the wedding and the bride was angry how would you handle that? If you were a stylist and a customer asked you to cut her hair and after cutting her hair to her specifications she didn't like it how would you remedy the situation? What is your favorite job. Not was your favorite job or what would be you idea of a favorite job....Then we were asked to make 4 teams of 4 or 5 people and complete an exercise giving us full range creativity where price was no object to create a better way to service curbside Alaska Airlines customers. At 12:00 pm we broke for lunch and at 12:30pm all candidates were brought in the room together and they announced the names of the 3 people they would extend offers to.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a hair stylist and you cut the customers hair to her specifications but she complained and said she didn't like it what would you.   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2010.

Apply online. Smile and be outgoing and courteous. Once you apply you will attend a group interview. This is their weeding out process. If you pass the Group interview you will have a panel interview and then a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • You have an intoxicated passenger that you will have to deny boarding per Airline Policy. Describe in detail how you will deny boarding to this insistent and irrational passenger.   View Answer
    This position is a union job, therefore there is no negotiation on salary. You start at a base salary your first year and receive an annual cost of living increase. The salary is not why you would accept an airline position. This position is primarily about the AMAZING benefits. Flight Benefits, Health Benefits, Profit Sharing.. etc.

Recruiter Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Know the job, over prepare and do you research. These folks are obviously stretched too thin and the stress they are under shows...based on the group interview I observed.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for an airline, specifically this one?
      What would your current or prior boss say about you...
      What is some constructive criticism you have received...
        Answer Question

Salary is way below market.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

The entire process took about 2 weeks. I applied online and received an email a few days later asking me to complete a questionnaire. The questionnaire consisted of basic questions. After that I was scheduled for a phone interview a couple days later which lasted approximately 12 minutes. The interview consisted of basic HR questions as well as a couple of CS scenarios. I was then invited to attend a group interview that was to take place in 5 days. The interview was in Santa Clara, CA. I actually thought the group interview process was pretty exciting. They put all candidates in a room together, show a few videos about the company, and have Alaska Airlines employees come talk to you about the company, their jobs, the benefits, and what you can expect. I felt the were very upfront, honest, and genuine. They explained the interview process and started with the group sessions right after the initial orientation. They split us up into 3 groups (about 16 people apiece), had us make 60 second introductions, and give an answer to basic CS scenarios. Some of the scenarios made you really think and you didn't know your situation until that very moment. Once that process was complete, they sent us on break and gave us a time to return. Once they returned, all candidates were placed in one room and the names of the candidates moving on to one-on-ones were announced. Everyone else was thanked for their time, encouraged to reapply, and sent to enjoy the rest of their day. The one-on-ones (more like 3 on 1's) were about 30-45 minutes, but fairly relaxed and comfortable. I didn't feel Like I was being interrogated. Once you completed the 1 on 1's they had you wait in a room and gave you the news (good or bad) in about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What would be your greatest challenge if the job was offered to you?   Answer Question
    N/A

CSA Air Freight Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  SeaTac, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2014.

Process:
    (1) Few days after applying for CSA Air Freight position, I got an email from a recruiter asking basic questions about the things that are required for this specific position.
    (2) After I sent her the answers, she then set up a phone interview with me in which she asked the same required questions plus some scenario-based and other questions.
    (3) Then I was invited for a group interview that had total of 20 candidates.
    (4) An Air Freight manager and a HR manager started the process by going over the company's history, culture, benefits etc. Once they were done with their presentation, they asked everyone to stand up one by one and tell everyone else that what was the best job we had and why.
    After this, everyone was given a unique scenario question to answer.
    Then we were split into teams of four and asked to come up with an idea of an aviation related product or service that doesn't already exist. (I think hey wanna see how good of a team player you are).
    (5) Total six people were selected for one-on-one interview and the rest were excused.
    This section was about 40-50 minutes long and they asked all kinds of questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for Alaska Airlines? Contribute to the Community!