Alaska Airlines

Getting the Interview

62 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details I received a brief phone interview, really easy. They asked questions like: tel us about a time you went above and beyond at a job, why did you leave your last position and if I was willing to relocate.

Interview Question – Once I was in the f2f interview they asked questions like: tell us something about yourself that isn't on your resume, what was the job you were most loyal to and why and a lot of customer service questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details What a joke! Just a numbers game. As previous posters expressed that if you are over 30 forget it. company definitely age discriminates. the CEO should know what goes on with their hiring practice. Then again they don not pay a living wage

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview Details Applies online 4/8 received an email with general questions. Waiting for next step.

Interview Question – If hired open to any of our domiciles?   Answer Question

Managing Director of Investor Relations Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview Details I felt the process was highly efficient and very fair. They had a small window where the position was posted and they closed it to applications when they stated. They then took approximately two weeks to reach out and schedule a phone interview. The HR contact took care of the basics (nicotine, drug use, termination history, willingness to relocate) before asking specific questions provided by the hiring team. Her notes were then sent to the team, who then selected in-person candidates. They were quick to follow up and arranged details to fit my schedule. The employees I met were bright, friendly and engaged.

The in person interview was on time, with the appropriate level of interviewers for the role. They were very genuine people and shared their philosophy in addition to trying to learn about me. Overall the entire experience was strongly positive. I ultimately pulled out of the interview process for family reasons, but absent that situation would have continued chasing this job.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult; they were situational and asking specifically about my experience, they weren't "tell me about a time that..." The questions were specific to my role, how I operate within the environment and what I saw as far as their business from the outside. Quite frankly, if you have done basic company research and know your own skill set well, the interview questions won't be an issue.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied on line and maybe a week later got a email asking me to respond back about the best way to be reach and what time. Got a phone call the next morning, simple questions and I passed that part. She then sent me an email for a group interview which was being held two days later. Interview was at 8am in a hotel close by San Jose airport with about 50 people there. The panel was about 5 people, one worked there for only two years while another I believe over eleven years. They went over the background of the company and how your time sheet may look. Starting off seems like you get the hours no one wants, starting at 4am. They then split us up into groups which we played games and had to answer questions. At times I felt like it was a comedy contest, guess people thought if I could make them laugh the whole time I'll be hired. After the games and questions they made us wait 25mins to go over who they wanted to keep there for a 1 on 1 interview. Out of all the people there they maybe called about five names including a young man which I have no idea how he got his name called. He couldn't even answer his questions and was joking the whole time. So many different walks of life so I have no idea what they were looking for after they picked him as one. You can apply online for another position but for the same one you have to wait a whole year. In a year I will have another job and if I didn't I wouldn't apply for this airline again. Also you can not smoke cigarettes, you have to be at lease 6months clean of it.

Interview Question – Everybody had different questions. I believe my card asked me what would I do if a customer was short of money by only three dollars. After I answered they then asked me what if she does it all the time, what would I do?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details I passed the phone interview with no problem. I was asked to come in 2 days later for a group interview. I would say there were about 60 of us. Flight Attendants did a rah rah talk with us then we watched a movie and a Flight Attendant told us how hard it would be to be on reserve. Another Flight Attendant stepped up and told us about benefits and how great they are. Eventually we were split in to 4 groups and sent to different rooms. You take turns saying your name and what job you were most loyal to. They give you one question to answer and then explain that they are going in another room for 20 minutes to decide who gets to move on. They also tell you they know the process isn't perfect and you can try again in 1 year if your name is not called. Another person steps in and calls the names, also states the process is not perfect, and tells you to apply again in 1 year. About 8 names were called out of the 30 in the room. Almost all men. You are not allowed to ask for feedback, which I understand. To me it was a pretty unprofessional process. There were people who spent quite a bit of money to fly across country for the interview. Alaska could at least afford everyone a few minutes of a one on one. Maybe a better phone screening could narrow it down. I had great references and a great work background. I was even asked if I was an Alaska Airlines plant put in the group to observe. I wish I could give a hint as to what they were looking for. It seems to be whether the 2 people asking you 1 question get a good vibe from you. The Flight Attendants were all dressed professionally and looked great. I was surprised at how unprofessional the HR people dressed.

Interview Question – No difficult question   Answer Question

Interviewed at Alaska Airlines

Interview Details I applied with Alaska in the beginning of January and received an email the later part of January informing me they were reviewing all applications. In the middle of March I received an email asking me to complete a few questions and return the email. The next day I heard back letting me know I would have my phone interview at a specific date and time.

Interview Question – not knowing what to expect during the phone interview.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in December 2012.

Interview Details They will call you for a phone interview. Just be prepared that they will ask if you are willing to relocate to any base Alaska has. Just remember that you don't have to stay there. Min. time at a different base is usually 4-5 months. Then you can commute to that city for free on Alaska Airlines or other partner airlines

Interview Question – I think most of the questions in the interview are on the web, but just remember they are looking for something you do to stand out. So think of something you do that is different then other people. Remember to be polite but in-charge. Know what is right and what is wrong.   Answer Question

Yield Analyst Interview

Yield Analyst
San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details The HR Recruiting Coordinator gave me a phone interview on Dec 31, 2013. She went over basic questions (e.g. describe a situation that you need to work on your own/ describe a situation that you need to walk the extra mile). She's very friendly, but I don't think the questions are relevant to the job requirements.

She could have asked me "Why should we hire you but nobody else", or "What make you think that you are the best candidate". Now these questions give me more room to elaborate my strengths.

After a 30-mins interview, she said I will hear decisions in January 2014 before hanging up. However, now it's March 1st, and I have yet heard any reply.

This job was opened for multiple level (Yield Analyst I, II or Senior), so I am not surprised that I didn't make to second interview. It is very tough to impress the HR if you are a fresh graduate.

Interview Question – What is your expected salary? I did NOT expect her asking me this question right at the beginning of my phone interview   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent
San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details Group interview with far too many interviewees invited and not enough interaction to be able to fairly evaluate individual applicants.
As previous reviewers have noted, you first get a phone call interview. If that goes well, you are invited to a group interview. The group interview I went to had so many people (between 50 and 65 is my guess) that we were split into three groups.
I've never been in a group interview and I will never go to another one. After watching two movies about Alaska, there was an explanation of what the job entails and how you will be working most weekends and holidays given to us by actual employees. Kudos to the company and the employees for an honest presentation of what work life would be like. Actually it was more work than life because with the crazy hours you would work, you wouldn't have much of a life. They even explained how you would spend holidays working but it's not bad because you spend it with your work family. You even get to have Thanksgiving dinner with your Alaska family. Kudos again for blunt honesty.
Then came the group interview part. As I said, I have never been in a group interview before. Neither had most of the others I spoke to at the interview. If you are a good performer, an actor or the kind of personality that likes to be in the spotlight, then a group interview is for you.
After four hours playing several different scenarios in the group interviews, the interviewers excused themselves for 20 minutes (which ended up being 45 minutes) to come back and announce who would go on to the one-on-one interview. If you have ever watched American Idol, it is just like the part of AI where they put a hundred or so people into different rooms and then let them know they are losers. Out of the 50 to 65 people being interviewed, they were only looking to hire three or four people. So the vast majority of us were sent home.
I personally do not appreciate my time being wasted as it was. I left with a very bad taste in my mouth for Alaska Airlines after this, just to be honest.
The one-on-one interviews were after we played the group interview games, so the interviewers had no idea what most of us could bring to Alaska. Several of the people doing the interviewing were very new to Alaska (one guy had a year and another woman had maybe two years) and none were from HR; the whole process seemed very unprofessional to me.
Unless you want to get experience in group interviews, I would not recommend going through the process. I do not think it is right to invite a person to a job interview where they have a five percent chance of getting the job. Or at least be upfront about that in the initial phone interview.
Please note, I rated the interview process as difficult not because the interview was difficult but because the process itself is geared toward a very specific type of person. What type, I don't know. When you have over fifty people not qualified for a job, it's not the applicants. It's the process. I would recommend screening people more closely in the phone interview instead of inviting a large quantity of people to an interview when you only have a few slots available.

Interview Question – We were given scenarios to read to the group and then explain how we would handle the situation. Then one of the interviewers would challenge your answer.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Alaska Airlines

Worked for Alaska Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alaska Airlines interview questions and advice. All 62 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Alaska Airlines employees and interview candidates.