Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014

Application 7/30
    Phone interview 9/8
    F2F 9/23

The process went exactly as previously stated. Video, group, one on one with a FA, one on one with HR and then panel/group. We had four groups and my group had 23. We did a group exercise, introduced ourselves and answered a question, then answered question with a partner and last answered another question solo. I had fun throughout the process despite being nervous. We took a break and they made cuts after. They chose 4 of us. I did make the cut and did the one on ones. When I left, there appeared to be 7 others remaining and I anticipate only 2/3 were offered a cjo.

For anyone about to go to their f2f, my advice is;
    Dress professionally/well groomed
    Be articulate
    It's a long day!! Stay positive, stay fresh!

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I recently had an interview with Alaska Airlines and was offered the position. I think a big reason why I, out of so many interviewees (a lot of whom were Flight Attendants) was successful is because of this website. So, I want to return the favor and help, to the best of my abilities anyone applying.

Prepare, prepare, prepare!!!! The best advice I give you. I went thru every entry and wrote down the questions others said they were asked and spent a lot of time thinking about them and practicing answering them. Im someone who gets very nervous during interviews but since I felt so prepared for what ever they might ask me I wasn't nervous once.

They are watching you at all times! Take notes during the video, look attentive and smile. You dont have to be grinning the whole time like a crazy person, you can smile with your eyes. Just try to look like you're having happy thoughts and not having thoughts about how tired you are from waking up so early and the lack of sleep from the night before.

Youll be split into large groups,here you will be doing some public speaking (yikes, I know). The questions will be easy and more likely than not the first question will be "tell us about the job you were most loyal to and why". Theyll specify that it doesnt necessarily need to be a "job" it could be a volunteer program you worked with or being a Mother. Know that, and I mean this is the nicest way possible, they dont actually care. They want to hear how whatever you answer can be applied to this position. You can say being a mother was yours because its taught you compassion for others or your job at Starbucks because you got to interact with so many different people. See what i'm saying?

After this theyll take a short break then they will announce who will be moving on (most people are cut here). Now its a one-on-one interview with someone from HR and it will be more of a typical interview. Situational questions and questions like are you willing to move (yes, anywhere is the correct answer). When answering know that they want to see your commitment here, tell them how youve looked into rentals for relocating and how working on Holidays isnt a big deal to you.

Finally if youve made it past that round youll be onto the final interview, which is another group interview. There will be a panel of people at a long table with chairs lined up facing them. Its a little intimidating since after their introduction they wont talk, theyll just watch you and write while one interviewer asks questions. What they look for here is how you work in groups, the task they ask you to do isnt as important as your teamwork skills.

Now its over and you can relax! Youll find out if youre offered a position soon after.

Things NOT to do during the interview:

Dont ramble! Keep it short and sweet. So many people in the first group interview when asked a question just talked and talked and talked and often by the time they were done they never really answered the question. If the question is about a past job then answer it as such, dont talk about why youd be such an awesome flight attendant or how youve always loved flying. People tend to ramble when theyre nervous so be sure to prepare.

Dont say youd fix a situation with an upset passenger by giving them free drinks/snacks ( people actually answered like this, more than once!)

Dont be rude to other people interviewing! Remember how I said they were always watching? When the small group of us left were all sitting in the lobby waiting for the final interview and far away from any Alaska employees, there was one girl that dropped the nice act at this point and was rude with me, just someone with a bad attitude. She was the only one of the group not to get an offer and her final interview went just as well as everyones. Maybe Im imagining things but I think they knew somehow that she was being rude (maybe an employee planted as a interviewee?) either way its not worth it and if youre rude to people this isnt the job for you anyways.

This is a wonderful company and if you get cut during the interview process don't be discouraged! Many people weren't successful until the 2ed or 3rd time. So try again in 6 months, it's worth it.

Hope this helps someone and I wish the best of luck to you all!!

Interview Questions
    • Lots of situational things.
      What you'd do about a co worker not working.
      Drunk passenger.
      Coworker rude to passenger
      Sick passenger.

Remember that when answering that the number one priority is passenger safety!
        Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied towards the end of July and heard back in the beginning of October. I received an email asking me if I was still interested, willing to relocate, and if I was available to attend an interview at any of their 5 domiciles. I of course said yes and I was available! If you are not willing to relocate or do the crash pad thing this may not be the job for you. You can be based anywhere from San Diego, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, or Anchorage.

I emailed back and scheduled my phone interview for a few days after. The phone interview was pretty basic. Questions like tell me about your customer service, how has your personal life shaped your professional life, are you able to relocate. They will ask you about relocating about 1,000 times because they really need people that are willing to do so. I passed the phone interview and he scheduled me to go to the interview at the Hilton in Orange County right after we finished.

Once I arrived there I was surprised at how steep the competition was. There was about 50+ candidates there and all of them looked like flight attendants already. (Some were current flight attendants and none of them were chosen) Make sure you are dressed professional and conservative. We started with orientation that was super helpful and informative of what life will be like. We then split into groups of about 12 to do our group interviews. Again, questions were basic. Tell me something not on your resume, what would you look for in a flight attendant, etc.. We then took a short break and almost everyone was cut. Only about 14 people made it past this round. They are looking for your positive energy and are watching you at ALL times. Smile, smile, smile!

After the cut was made, we started one on one interviews. We got to talk to a flight attendant informally and they told us more about the life style. There was a lot of waiting at this point so don't get too anxious if you aren't called right away. I then moved on to the HR interview which is you and your interviewer. Here we went over 10 year work history, any criminal activity, (just be honest at this point, they will find out and it won't count against you if you are open) what would you bring to the company, and of course relocating!

Only 8 of us made it to final panel interview. We were split into two groups to organize subjects in matter of importance or danger. Categories were vomit, security threat, fatigue, etc.. Be active and work through your team during this. They will be watching you. They will then bring you back together and you will make a map of their destinations. They aren't looking for accuracy just how well you work with others. Smile be energetic even though this is a LONG process. Only 3 of us were hired, it's a crazy day but it's worth it! :)

Hope this helps! If you don't make it your first try again! They are an amazing company!

Interview Questions
    • Asked to say one word that described what we live for.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Facilities Project Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I received a call for a phone interview almost a full two months after applying. The interviewer called earlier than our scheduled time. She was quite nice and apologetic.

Interview Questions
    • What is your understanding of the responsibilities for this position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were responsible for multiple complex projects and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you worked with a diverse group of people on a project and not everyone was on board and contributing.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in September 2014.

I applied online at Alaskaair.com and a few weeks later received an email asking basic questions like "Are you attending school? Would you be able to accept full time hours?" After I responded it was followed up the next day with a quick 15 min phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited to a group interview the following week at the local Hilton hotel. The interview started at 9am and you were asked to come about 20-30 minutes early. There was a group of about 30-40 people and about only 3-4 openings. At first you watch a presentation where they tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the position to make sure you still want to continue. After that we got a 10 min break for water or go to the restroom. After that we did group interviews where you would get a situation card and you would have to answer basically what would you do? This sounds a lot worse then it is, yes its a little scary because you are answering these in front of the entire group but I don't know if I just got lucky but everyone that was in the group interviewing that day were so sweet that it made it not as bad. After a few hours of the group interviews we were asked to go to lunch and in an hour come back and we would find out who moved on to the one-on-one interviews. I don't think I have ever been that nervous waiting to hear my name. They only kept 10 people to continue the process and luckily I was one of them. We were then given a time to come back for our one-on-one interview and those lasted roughly 45 minutes. After your one-on-one I was asked to go into the hallway and they would let me know in 5 minutes if I was offered a position. When she came out of the room she let me know I made it. I have never been so excited, the interview process was a tough one but even if you don't make it it's worth the experience for sure.

Interview Questions
    • You are a parking garage attendant and parking in the garage is free if you are in their under 30 mins. A customer comes up and you enter her ticket and it says she has been in the garage 33 mins so she would be charged $3. She then says she would have been out before 30 mins if the line wasn't so long to get out. How would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I was emailed a month or so after i applied. They asked me to answer 5 question and respond as soon as possible. I did so and received a phone interview hours later. It went well be be ready for them to call at anytime!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in September 2014.

phone interview then an invite to come in person split into groups then a scheduled one on one with HR,I did have a tough HR interviewer she, was quickly on to the next question before I completely answered the first one she asked hahaha she was a bit tough to engage with but after all we need to accomplish difficult situations in the airline industry! so no excuse here :0)

Interview Questions
    • all my questions were standard and fun I am always prepared,but I can say the only one that I herd that stumped me a bit in the group interview was " what could Alaska include in its orientation that you knew but that wasn't talked about" there orientation was great/informative so that was a tough one know your stuff and read about the company   Answer Question

Reservations Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Ridiculous. Tiffany from HR was rude and didn't even give a fair chance to explain things on our work history form. They don't even formally tell you that you aren't hired. They hand a piece of paper to the guy out front (they do it right in front of you) and walk back in the room. Unprofessional.

Ground Service Agent Interview

It was a group interview. They had you answer generic questions about adjusting to changes on the job or scenario-based questions. They eliminate a few people in the first round and then personal interviews are conducted during the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you were in an organization and you had to adapt to change quickly and how did the results affect you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Had phone interview and was invited to the group interview in Seattle. The whole process was fun and enjoyable! There were nearly 160 people showed up and after the 1st group interview most people was out. They only kept around 20 people out of the 160 to go farther to the face to face the the last panel interview(which would be the last interview) everything was done in 1 day. I was out after the 1st group interview. They said you can reapply after 6 month. From what I hear and saw this is a very good company to work for. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in this time.
    1st they show you a video about the company and what to expect along with the benefits. The they divided people to groups in different rooms and you have to stand up to speak in front of about 20 people(each group has about 20) it was really fun!

Interview Questions
    • 1.What's the most royal job you've had and why.
      2 you get to choose a card and will have a partner(who sits next to you) to figure out the answer. Everyone had a different question. Most behavior questions and my was why do you think professionalism is important working for this airline. Others were tell me a time you had to deal with upset customer/ tell me a time you had to deal with someone who was doing something dangerous/ what if your coworker is reading a magazine while you are working during flight/ what do you do when customer refuse to put her husbands ashes away while taking off or landing/ conflict with coworkers/ ect...
        Answer Question