Altera Interview Questions & Reviews

87 interviews

3.1

Senior Member of Tech Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in June 2011.

Everyone had different view and was looking for different skills. I had to ask the hiring manager, what is the position and what is the role. I was told particular role and When I joined I found out my role to be slightly different. It did not match exactly hat was told to me. In six month they had re-org and I found out that I was pushed to non-technical job. Ultimately I left the company.

Interview Questions
    • Can you join within a week, before even discussing the offer?   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

received an email from Altera and asked for my available time for an in person interview. I had two 1-1 interviews each for half an hour. Each asked only one question but added more condition to the initial question after answering the previous question.

Interview Questions
    • the timing diagram, c coding of an average question and writing the corresponding verilog code   Answer Question

Systems Software Intern Interview

Multiple technical interviews, no behavioural interviews.
    Asked me to write code in any language I want on a whiteboard.
    Then hardware questions... most are easy but one tripped me up. Didn't get an offer

50 words limit lol please

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera.

There are two rounds of interviews, both technical. First round you will meet two persons and talk with them for half an hour each. Usually the first person will ask sort search or other typical algorithm questions, the second will ask graph DFS or BFS. I think in the second round you will meet at least 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • Programming questions. How to find the only singular integer in an array consist of random pairs of integers.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera in May 2014.

I had 2 phone interviews. Each about 45 minutes long. The interviews were strictly technical. First interview was about algorithms and data structures. There was 2 problems and several follow up questions. Nothing particularly difficult. I wasn't perfect at the first interview but managed to pass it. The second interview was very different. There was a lot of questions, problems, and follow up questions from different areas: network protocols, computational geometry, C++, design patterns etc. The question were very interesting.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing was the speaking communication. May be because of the big geographical distance (I'm from Russia, they're from Canada). The quality of phone connection was terrible, especially at the second interview. Because of that I was completely disoriented and overwhelmed and wasn't able to think clearly and carefully. The questions themselves weren't very difficult. There was only a single (may be two) question that I couldn't answer correctly in principle.   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera in February 2010.

Multiple interviews with low-level engineers, high-level individual contributors, and some executive management. Likely depends on the job.

Interview Questions
    • As a former employee of the company, I had a lot of 'why do you want to come back to Altera?' and 'do you plan to leave again?',   View Answer
    Salary was fine, had to push hard for a signing bonus. RSU grant was very good.

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Altera in March 2011.

Phone interview followed by on site. Lots of rounds of interviews. At the end there will be a presentation to see how well you communicate.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you digital design questions that are tricky and tough to solve in 45 mins. They dont expect the correct answer but expect you to go in the right direction in solving the problem.   Answer Question
    I didnt since I was an NCG. But you need to get one or two offers and then negotiate.

Summer Internship Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2014.

My advisor had referred me for the position. Received an email for scheduling a telephonic interview. The interview last for an hour or so. I was asked about my work experience and projects. The interviewer dod not ask any technical question from projects, it was more of what I did. He expalined the work in his team and though my skills and experience did not match any of those. (Though is was somewhat similar). I was asked just one question on writing a verilog code for a simple state machine. Wasn't asked any more questions. I wrote the code too quickly and thought he wouldn't like me to keep him waiting for too long and will also be helping me in correcting it. He then gave hints for correcting it after that. But I think he expected it to be right in first go.

Interview Questions
    • Writing a code for a state machine on telephonic interview.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Met at a career fair. I went for an onsite interview. I had 5 interviews in roughly 4 hour. The questions asked were both technical and behavioral but mainly technical. It really depends on who is interviewing you. Be prepared to the interviewer to bump on a previous answer to ask a new question, be relax and most importantly be confident!

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to help the company solve its problems?   Answer Question

Software Design Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera.

2 technical phone interviews for 1 hour duration each, followed by a call and email from HR. Got a call from one of the Employees, he explained to me the skills they required and proceeded immediately to ask technical questions. This was followed by another technical interview from the Hiring co-coordinator. Questions regarding projects on resume, C programming, matlab, verilog, DSP, Digital Design and Computer Architecture !

Interview Questions
    • Discuss the internal system of a day to day electronic device such as a refrigerator or a television   Answer Question
    Great Competitive salary. No negotiations

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!