Amazon.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

SDE1 Interview

SDE1

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Interview Details 1st Online coding test conducted by interviewstreet.com, 2nd technical Telephonic round. I was out after 2nd round

Interview Question – What is the advantage of JSON over xml   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Bangalore

I interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details Was called by the recruiter and an online test scheduled. It was a difficult tree traversal and manipulation test. One test case set with values and the expected output was provided as a sample. I was not prepared enough with the APIs and so lost out. Overall it was a positive experience with the recruiter

Interview Question – Tree traversal question   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Software Development Manager
Bangalore

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details 2 telephonic round and then 5 onsite round.
telephonic round focus on architecture and people management skills.
same for on site rounds....

there is not HR round kind of thing...
on site round also has a bar raiser round...

Interview Question – they only focus on two things, generic architecture level discussion, how would you design a specific scalable system. Mostly question will pose an ongoing problem in the group and you need to brain storm solution with them. Nothing that difficult , it is only that you need to apply common sense.

second thing they focus is your people management skills, again all question are really practical and if you try to give a bookish answer you will be caught..so if you do not really believe in your answer you will not be able to make it...for e.g. "you have an excellent super brillant team member in your team, better than all others but his behavior is bad, he does not talk properly if someone approaches him for help of solution, he literally insults them...what would you do"...
Now reallt think about your answer...if you want to preach this guy..it will not work out..it is his nature...do you really want to throw him out of your team...ha ha you probably will not like to...because these kind of people bring 10X value to organization...what will you do...

similarly there are many trap questions..if you try to be politically and inetrview wise correct you will not make it...
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – My compensation was almost same ... declined because of that...

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Chennai

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Two rounds of Telephonic interviews and one on site interview. The on-site interview was conducted back to back with 5 senior managers.

Interview Question – Got a puzzle to solve, out of the blue.   Answer Question

Amazon Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Amazon Software Development Engineer In Test
Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details the interview had 3 rounds 1 aptitude pretty easy
next was the technical round which again had aptitude and questions about testing
and last the hr round which we didnt have as we were sent off saying the interview was complete

Interview Question – hands on with an app and test the app   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Hyderābād

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Interview Details I am interviewed as part of on campus recruitment process.I am a student of NIT waranagl.
this review therefore is in the context of on campus placement.
 There was an online aptitude test followed by technical interviews.
There were four technical interviews .
In the first technical interview I was asked to find the pivot element in a sorted and rotated array.
O(n) solution is obvious and I gave him O(log n) solution ( binary search )and I was asked to code it.After writing the code,I was asked to check my code if it covers all the edge cases or not. I have tested it and it seemed to work for all the edge cases but the interviwer pointed out a case where my code fails and then I have corrected it.He also asked me to write the code for searching an element in the sorted rotated array using binary search.
the second question is given a binary search tree ,replace each node with the sum of numbers greater than the number in the node.I gave him O(n) solution and he was satisfied with it.

In the second round ,
I was asked to design an application that sends a message to two friends if they come within two miles of each other.
I gave him a solution indicating the data structures used to maintain the friend list and model of the solution .
He pointed out the cons of the solution and I modified the data structure.Then there was long discussion where I gave him different solutions and He pointed out the cons of each solution and asked me to overcome it.Finally I arrived at a solution and the interviewer was satisfied with it.
He also asked me a couple of puzzles and I answered them.

I think the third round was the bar raiser
I was asked two questions.

The first question was :
Given n jars each having a colour of some value.the value of the colour is from 0 to 100.
when two jars (with colours say 'a' and 'b')are combined, the colour of the resulting solution is (a+b)%100.Also (a *b) amount of gas is released .Find a way to combine all the jars to form a single jar with minimum amount of gas release.(Only adjacent jars can be combined).
The problem is similar to matrix chain multiplication- O(n^3)(Dynammic Programming)and after I gave him the solution I coded it.
The second question was:
A quadra tree is a tree where each node has atmost 4 child nodes.(similar to a binary tree which has atmost 2 child nodes).

A monitor screen (black and white) is represented by a qudra tree in the following way:

case 1:IF the entire screen is white then the value in the root node is white.
similarly if the entire screen is black then the root stores black.
case 2:If the screen is neigther completely black nor white then the screen is divided into 4 quadrents.
and the node has 4 child nodes each representing one of the quadrants.( the screen is recursively divided into subscreens).

Now given two screens represented by two quadra trees, return a quadra tree which represents the overlapping of the two screens.( assume when white and white overlaps results in white,black and white overlap results in black , black and black overlap results in black).
I was asked to write the code for it.

Round 4:

Q1: Implement a stack which supports pop_min (return minimum element in the stack in O(1) ) along with push and pop operations.
I gave him a couple of solutions and I was asked to code them.The he gave me a solution (maintain a linked list of minimums in the stack) and asked me to code it.

Q2: Given a binary tree with fields- {pointer to left child,poiter to right child,next pointer}.
Initially the next pointers are all NULL.
Now fill all the next pointers in each node with pointer to the node which is immediately right to the node in the same level. The next pointer of rightmost node in a level shold be NULL.
It can be done using level order traversal using a queue but the interviewer asked me to do it without using queue or any extra memmory and in O(n) time.
Hint: The logic is to fill the next pointers in the (n+1) th level while trvelling in the n th level.
I was asked to code it.

PERSONAL INTERVIEW (HR)
There was no HR interview although I was asked some questions like -Why do you want to join amazon, future plans ,
tell me about yourself,your habits and interests and about why I didn't do an intern ..etc

SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCES
The amazon interview process is very cool.The main thing here is to stay focused since the whole process is time consuming. The interviewers were very friendly and they are not bothered about the formalities.So the experience was great.

Interview Question – this question is a bit difficult because of the limited time I was given to code it.
Initially the next pointers are all NULL.
I was asked to code it
  Answer Question

SDE2 Interview

SDE2
Bangalore

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details Contacted on phone by HR. I had uploaded my resume around 5-6 month back. I went there next week. has four in person interviews. The process went very smoothly. I had to go again next week for the last round.

Interview Question – Given a string. Suppose all its characters can be jumbled up and all possible strings are arranged in an alphabetical order. Now given a number n, find the nth word in the ordered list of words.   Answer Question

Web Development Engineer II Interview

Web Development Engineer II
Bangalore

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details This is my interview experience with Amazon, India . I reached on time , but they asked me to wait around 100 mins , and later HR called me in.

F2F round :
1. what is the current Java script version
2. what are best practices for HTML/CSS/JS 3 . How do you improve web site performance
4. What are new improvements in Java script
5. What are the promises () and deferred ()
6. Explain closures
7. Which project do you like most , and why ? in your current organization
8 . Few questions about web accessibility
9 . How to make align div exactly center of web page 10. Questions on HTTP/HTTP's , http sessions , and what parameters browser will send and response parameters
11. CSS questions , on selectors

Coding Round :
1. shuffle items in array
2. Write a function to find power of numbers , example POW (2,2)

Manager Round :
1. Explain about your current project
2. Questions on best practices
3. How do you update yourself
4. How do you make cross domain requests without JSONP

Interview Question – just prepare algorithms , there interview process is quite very easy but they focus on alternative solutions like alternative to AJAX etc ..   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – relocation issues , and offered less than I expected .

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern
Bangalore

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details It was a on-campus PI. There were 3 rounds. One coding round and 2 PI's.

Interview Question – There was as such no hard question for me. But unfortunately i was not prepared for this interview. Frankly this was my first ever interview. So yes i was bit nervous and i didn't knew about the tips and tricks for cracking the interview at that time. I was asked the following 2 questions:

1. given a tree, do the level order traversal of the tree. Explain the logic and write it's proper code not pseudo-code.

2 given a link list, Reverse a Linked List in groups of given size. write it's code.
  View Answer

Seller Support Associate Interview

Seller Support Associate
Bangalore

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details interview for Seller Support Associate- Started with HR round, quite easy. Gud Pay- just be sure about the Job Description and Prev Exps. next went for an OL test, Basic Psychometric tests, wants to see your analytical skills and stuff with no exact ans. Basic simple maths and charts.

Interview Question – Was very optimistic about it but Als! i was sent back.   Answer Question