AmeriCorps

51 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Citizen Corps Coordinator Interview

Interviewed at AmeriCorps

Interview Details I'm pretty sure I just submitted an application online and was quickly called in for a face-to-face interview. I did the interview, and was hired that day. I think it's because no one else wanted to do the job.

City Year Corps Member Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at AmeriCorps in July 2013.

Interview Details I had two phone interviews. They asked about strengths, weaknesses, and significant achievements in your life. They also asked about any experience I have had with children.

Very Easy Interview

Denver, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at AmeriCorps in April 2013.

Interview Details Submit application online. Apply to up-to 20 employers.

Interview Question – Can you move here and live on $12k?   View Answer

Americorps Vista

I applied online and interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview Details Varies a lot based on the site--had interviews over Skype and phone, with some sites doing multiple rounds of interviews.
Common questions across all were, "How prepared are you to live on the [low] VISTA living allowance?" "How are your Spanish skills? [since I was interviewing for Spanish-speaking nonprofits]"

Interview Question – How prepared are you to live on the VISTA living allowance?   View Answer

Habitat for Humainty Interview

Interviewed at AmeriCorps

Interview Details Very lengthy, done completely over the phone. The process also required in-depth recommendation forms to be filled out by people who can attest to your character and abilities. There is also an in-depth questionnaire about your experience in community work and why you think you would make a good AmeriCorps.

Interview Question – How would this challenge you?   Answer Question

New England (Jamaica)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AmeriCorps in May 2013.

Interview Details Online Americorps application system is a mess, especially the the references part -- so many of the emails are flagged as spam. Once I got through that, had a smooth interview with the site supervisor, was offered the position about two weeks later and accepted. Gave my month's notice to my boss at my job the next day.
A week and a half later, I was contacted by the project VISTA leader (site supervisor's supervisor) who said I needed to interview with her. A few days after that, the statewide VISTA administrator said I needed to interview with her, too. Both said the site supervisor had no authority to hire me without their approval. I almost cried -- I thought I had the job, and had given my notice accordingly. The site supervisor later told me the interviews were just for paperwork's sake, but it was still very disconcerting.

Interview Question – "Can you do grungier?" I showed up for the interview in a business suit. Site supervisor told me, since the position is for a food justice organization that does community gardens/farming, I should dress for unexpected agricultural adventures each day rather than the business-casual that VISTA had recommended.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. VISTA sets the stipend and you either accept that or you don't.

Americorps Vista

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AmeriCorps in May 2013.

Interview Details It really depends on the organizations you apply to - I applied to many positions but only heard back from a couple, and the first organization to get back to me was the first one I accepted.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything particularly challenging as far as questions asked. Do your research on the organization and what they do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Also, not enough information given to me about the stipend (very very little to live on especially in the Bay Area), or any assistance even though I was from out of town and had never been to the area. Again do your research on the area and whether you can actually afford to live there on the stipend.

Interviewed at AmeriCorps

Interview Details It was very easy and simple for the most part. The problem is, at least with the NCCC, their selection process is basically a lottery. I have seen extremely qualified people apply and be denied or put on a wait list. Your best bet is to apply early and do a good interview. From there, its really just luck of the draw.

Interview Question – How well can you adapt to a constantly changing work environment?   Answer Question

Community HealthCorps In NY Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AmeriCorps in June 2013.

Interview Details I applied online to several positions and heard back within 2 weeks. I had a 40 min interview with the program coordinator and then an 40-60 min interview with the supervisor that I would be working under. The online application was quite lengthy.

Interview Question – A lot of questions about what you would do in certain situations ie. dealing with management and supervisors. Most of the questions just wanted me to elaborate on my experiences with community service and interacting with people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, you get a stipend

Interviewed at AmeriCorps

Interview Details Apply Online. Pick specific areas like education, healthcare, etc to see the programs that are running in the specific area you want. The director of each program contacted me to set up an interview. The interview was a panel style interview with the returning members being there.

Interview Question – Why this program?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, its a stipend

Interviews for Top Jobs at AmeriCorps

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AmeriCorps interview questions and advice. All 51 interview reviews are posted anonymously by AmeriCorps employees and interview candidates.