American Airlines Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 27, 2014
401 interviews

2.8

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

1 - Applied.
    2 - Was given the personality test.
    3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
    4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
    - Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
    - Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
    - Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
    Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
    - Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
    - Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
    5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
    6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
    7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
    - You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
    - Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
    - S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
    - S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
    - S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
    - S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
    - 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
    8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
    9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
    - Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
    - Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
    - Q2: Do you work for AA?
    - Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
    - Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
    - Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
    10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
    11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
    12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
    13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
    - Fill out forms.
    - 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
    - Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
    - You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
    - Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
    - Take your height/weight.
    - Go over medical history with you.
    - They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
    - They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
    - Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
    14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

Flight Attendant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines.

I want to share my own painful experience here and hope nobody will have the same mistake like me again.
    I submitted my online application in May, got a telephone interview, and was schedule a f2f interview in July.

I saw someone recommend to fly in the night before the interview so you can have a night rest, so I did. They scheduled me a flight that arrived DFW at 11:30 pm, and my interview was in the next morning. However, when I arrived the airport at the late night, I found out that they lost my luggage, my interview materials, my make-ups and high heels were all in the luggage. Their luggage guy was very rude to me and said no one knows when my luggage will arrive. Sadly I went to my hotel without anything with me, it was 1am already, and thought that I couldn't make it to the interview tomorrow. I went to the airport in the early morning, and got my luggage, I changed my clothes and did make-ups and everything in the airport, and made it to the interview in the last minute.

The interview was exactly the same as what other people had shared here. At the end I got my fingerprinted, and later that day I got their email saying that I have advanced. I was so happy! I thought that I had passed the most difficult part, the f2f interview!! The week after they kept sending me different emails. I faxed my background check. And they emailed my CJO to read and sign, which made me think that I will get this job for sure.

I didn't have a job at that time, and the time I happened got a job offer from another airline company. AA told me my training date will probably starts in October, so I think it would be great if I work for another company first while waiting for AA's offer. However, AA schedule me a language test which happened on the same day as my first day at another company. I called both AA and the company asking if either of them could change the date, but no. And that company said that, if I couldn't make it to the first day at work, I will lose the job. I decided that AA is a better company to work for, so I declined that company's job offer to make it to AA's language test.

And I passed the language test, and was schedule a medical exam on 7/30. However, they canceled my my medical date last minute, and said that maybe will schedule me again by the end of August. Few days later another lady contacted me and asked if I am available to start the training on 8/18, if my medical is clear. I said I am available, but I haven't had the exam yet. So they scheduled me a medical exam few days after. I was so excited, because suddenly I will go to Dallas for training soon, and after training I will probably be based in Dallas! I met up with my friends and relatives here and said good-bye to them. And started to plan about moving, and thought about having a new life in Dallas.

I had my medical exam on 8/6. On 8/11, I got a "rescind offer" email saying that I didn't pass their medical exam. I was totally shocked. The email was very short, didn't explain anything, if you want to know additional information about why you didn't pass, you have to fax them a request, which I did shortly after the email. It's the third day now and I haven't gotten anything from them.

My medical exam was strangely short. I only spent 1.5 hours for exam. 30 minutes for blood pressure, heart rate and urine, and 40 mins for physical ability test. My medical exam was 2:30 pm and they scheduled me the flight at 5pm back home, so my test was hurry through and I literally ran to the airport to catch the flight.

I just can't believe that after going through so many procedures, spending so much time flying there and back, and they just turned me down with such a short email, and stop talking to me. I am very healthy and I am sure I am able to do those physical tasks onboard.

Before the interview, I had read lots of people's posts here, but I didn't see anybody say that they didn't pass the medical exam, so I didn't expect this tragedy happened to me. But I'm not the only one.
    From my awful experience, my suggestions are, don't believe that you are going to Dallas until you clear your medical (even though you think you are physically healthy!) And don't sacrifice other job opportunities for them, it doesn't worth it. I am very disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • I never thought that medical exam is the one that turns me down, and I even didn't know why I didn't pass it.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Advantage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  DFW, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Airlines in August 2014.

Applied for the position online and one week later, I was asked to complete an Online Application Form. The next day, I received a call from the talent/recruitment center inviting me for an interview at HQ for the very next day. There were 8 other individuals there and it was a panel interview. We were all asked the same 5 questions. The interviewers (Supervisor and Manager both with tenure) were very laid back and easy going. After answering the questions, we had 25 minutes to a take a computer test testing our knowledge of Word and Excel based on 8 questions. After that, we were shown around our working area (if hired). We were told that they were hiring 28 people and we should hear from the talent/recruitment center from here after. This was 5 days ago (including the weekend), so I am anxiously awaiting a phone call.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were fairly easy. Just be honest and do not rush.   Answer Question
    I am still awaiting a call back, however, I know there is no negotiation. There are however many internal positions and promotions. For this particular position, after 6 months of employment, you do receive a raise.

Flight Attendant Bilingual Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Airlines in August 2014.

Day 1: I filled out an online application. Completed the online questionnaire (100 questions) and several scenario type questions, answering the best answer/option based on the 5 provided.

Day 3: Invited to complete online video interview. I had five days to make the recorded online interview.

Day 7: Take online video interview. The fact that the recording is timed and you only have one shot made me nervous, but tried to smile a lot and look directly into the camera while speaking. I answered 6 questions, pretty easy if you're in the customer service industry, you should have not problem answering them.

Hoping to get to the next step:)

Interview Questions
    • What is your most difficult team experience and what made it challenging?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent PT Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in July 2014.

Applied for the position around June 30, 2014. Received a phone call on July 22, 2014 to schedule an interview for July 25th. Well received another call on July 24 to reschedule the interview for July 29th. The interview was a "round table" interview. Four applicants we're invited to interview at the same time, but only 3 of us showed up. We interviewed with the GM and GM Assistant. The GM Assistant and GM took turns asking each of us applicants questions about our work history and experience.
    The "round table" process seemed uncomfortable to me at first but it became very informal and we all relaxed and I think interviewed well.

The vacancy was posted as part-time employment. However you are expected to be available anytime day, night, weekends and holidays.

I would have loved to work for AA, but the hours or pay did not fit into my current situation. The management staff was very friendly, open and honest to all questions asked.

Flight Attendant Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Airlines.

All process contact by phone or email, very advanced. The interviewers are very nice and the process are enjoyable. Before i went to have interview i did a lot of research through glassdoor, not much to share cause i think currently has enough on the web to explain the process. The question are not new. Mostly can find here. It's very useful.

Salary not good

Flight Attendant Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Airlines.

Went through the process of filing out the application, the online interview, and speaking with someone on the phone. I scheduled my face to face interview and they never sent the information for flights, etc. I called numerous times and left voicemails. Poor hiring/interview process in my eyes.

Interview Questions
    • Normal questions. Why do you feel like this is a good position for you, etc. etc.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant--foreign Speaker Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

As the others described, it is internet screening-video screening-group presentation-group interview-individual interview for those who passed the group interview-medical exam. However, I am still waiting on the medical exam. I was scheduled in July, but I got an email delaying the medical exam schedule for early next year.

Interview Questions
    • For American Airlines to be know for quality service, what would you do?   Answer Question
    The process takes a long time to get to the training.

Station Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hebron, KY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hebron, KY (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Airlines in July 2014.

I applied early June. Received call on July 17th. She gave me a choice of different interview dates and times to choose from. Had the interview July 22nd. I didn't have a group interview. It was only the interviewer and I (interviewee). She discussed what the airline was all about, my job description, what the job duties I will be doing, training process, and benefits. I had to sign the job description if I agree. She then asked a couple basic interview questions. For example, I was asked How would I handle an irate customer who flight has been delayed. After the interview I was told the interview paper was going to be sent to human resources for a decision and I would here from them by Friday. She called Thursday to tell me they would like to give me the job. Friday July 25th I came in to fill out paper work for the background checks. Afterward I went to the ID office to get my fingerprints taken. Then on the same day I went to take my drug test. The background check was to take 7 to 10 business days. I was called on the 8th day and was offered the job. I start Aug. 18th.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an irate customer whose flight has been delayed   View Answer

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

The interview process may take some time to pass through every initial part. It took about 6 months for me. I suppose it is determined by need. Apply on the career section of AA website to get started. Keep in mind being a speaker of a language outside of English alone will farther you in the process much more quickly than those who do not. Another key element in the initial personality and general questions that are screened before inviting you for an online interview, is to be as 'flexible' and 'available' as the company is asking you up be. So would you relocate? "Yes of course" Are you available to work any time of day any day of the week including holidays? "It would be my pleasure" etc.. etc...

Interview Questions
    • The other glass door reviews for FA have been very specific and right on the money.
      Key ideas and subject areas to speak on intelligently :
      How you specifically were a valuable team leader and customer service specialist in your last work place. Give an example of something extra ordinary you did. ( have examples on the ready; made up or otherwise)
      How does social media impact a brand like AA and what are your feelings on social media?
      Why do you want to be a FA? Do not say I love to travel;)
        Answer Question
    • Remember at the F2F to be genuine and smart/clever but careful not to be too eager. It's really a crap shoot. Yet, I will say speaking up about non pay during training, or concerns about not seeing family during those 2 months raises red flags to those who are observing you from the company.   Answer Question
    • Dress as every post/ video blog site is recommending. AA is known to be more conservative in terms of appearance. So tone sexiness down. How ever, people naturally judge us on looks first, so make a point to look sharp, well groomed, and current, with out looking risqué. When you know you look good, your natural, charming personify will come through with the confidence needed to be in a room with 25 other competitors ( I mean friends ;)   Answer Question
    Standard union pay 21.70 per flight hour plus per diem. Average 80 hours month. Also plan on budgeting your uniform cost out of first few months pay.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!