American Cancer Society

Updated 27 Jan 2015
Updated 27 Jan 2015

2.8

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied online, received an email the next day asking me to complete a questionnaire, within 4 hours had another email asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted over an hour, the person interviewing me sounded like a robot and read off the wrong prompt for the first 30 minutes of the interview because she was confused about what position I even applied for. Very impersonal, after the interview I was no longer interested in the position.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions based off of finances, which were not mentioned in anything I had researched about the job prior to the interview   Answer Question

Events Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Quick and easy. I met with the employees and they were all very laid back. You truly have to be passionate about the non-profit mission and they love hiring like minded individuals.

Interview Questions
    • How would I handle it if a volunteer asked "friend" type question?   Answer Question

Interview Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

They called me in for an in person interview right away. Hiring manager was super easy to talk to, young, and answered all my questions appropriately. She asked why the American Cancer Society and if cancer was in my family. She asked personal questions but all questions she was willing to answer herself.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

I interview with 3 individuals. The first was a screening call with the HR department and second was the hiring staff. All interviews were very pleasant. The interviewers asked specific questions in a very professional yet polite and welcoming manner. Feedback regarding the interview was relatively quick that is, I was informed on next steps within a week.

Procurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

3 interviews. First with recruiting, then hiring manager and then 3 person panel. The process was done over a month long period. The questions in the first two interviews were more so behavioral Moreso than reviewing experience.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions such as what you would do in certain situations, motivations and the type of career you wish to have and what you can contribute.   Answer Question

Relay Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

After completing a thorough application, I was sent an email to complete an online interview. It was multiple choice. After passing that, I was interviewed over the phone by a regional staff member. It was similar to the online questionnaire but gave a chance to expound on my answers. I passed that level and was then interviewed by the regional office. It was another phone interview. We talked for well over an hour getting to know one another and also talking through how I would handle different scenarios. It was a very time consuming process. I got to the very end and they chose the other candidate that was in the final running.

Relay for Life Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

First is a phone interview with HR, general questions and to see if you are a good fit. Second interview will be with your direct manager and the third and final interview is a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • The final panel interview was the most difficult as you are drilled with questions by 4 separate people.   Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

The process took about 4 weeks. I put in an application online and a day or so later I was emailed the questionnaire. A week after that, I was contacted by a recruiter to do a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straight forward and consisted solely of situational questions. Less than a week later I was contacted by the hiring manager to have an in-person interview, which was very relaxed. Six days later I interviewed with the hiring manager and his boss.

Distinguished Events Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in November 2014.

Applied online, got automatic on-line questionnaire response. Did that, then got a phone interview with about an hour of questions (very similar to online questionnaire). Has been a month and I haven't heard anything since (despite queries), so don't stop looking for other jobs while waiting to hear from ACS.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare for questions about dealing with racism and difficult volunteers.   Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Basic interview process. Initial screening through national office then sent to local office. Went through my resume line by line, asking how each individual experience / job related to working with ACS. Be prepared for almost no negotiation on salary, as they're determined to save as much money paying lower level employees to pad executive salaries.

No negotiation. They paid the minimum possible and would not budge.