American Eagle Outfitters Interview Questions

Updated 28 Oct 2014
Updated 28 Oct 2014

2.2

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I applied through a posting on our university jobboard. After an initial phone interview with HR, I was flown to Pittsburgh to interview with a buyer and then participate in a 2 day interview program. There were probably 2-3 dozen candidates and 2 days of activities including rounds of interviews back to back in a hotel meeting room (where 10 other candidates are interviewed at the same time at different tables), meet-and-greet the buyers at happy hour etc. Like someone mentioned, it was like a sorority rush event.

FYI: The company is not very diverse. Most employees are from Pittsburgh and/or University of Pittsburgh.

Sales Associate Interview

The interview is pretty straight forward, you apply in person and after they review your application you, come in for an interview. They will sit you down and ask you a lot of basic sales business questions, and customer service questions. You may be called back in for multiple interviews but usually one is standard.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Traverse City, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Traverse City, MI (US)

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

My local AE was hiring like crazy with an application table in and outside of their store. I turned in my application to a manager who skimmed over it and said she loved how energetic I was, and that the hiring manager would love me, she told me he would call me in a few days to set up an interview, after 1 week without a call I called the store and asked to speak with the hiring manager and the guy who answered was very rude and said he's not here now bye and hung up. I went into the store the next day and talked to the hiring manager directly. He wrote my name on a piece of paper and said he'd call me within the week for an interview. 2 weeks went by with no call, I called again and the hiring manager answered and I asked about my application once more and asked if there was any improvements or experience required for the position I was missing. He said no that my application looked great and that he'd for sure get back with me in a week to set up an interview. Again he never called. This seemed very unprofessional to me especially for a hiring manager, I have lost all interest in ever working for American Eagle Outfitters. Z

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

I went in on a Tuesday and introduced myself to the manager and asked if she was hiring. She said she was and gave me an application, we ended up chatting for a few minutes because I had just found out that the Aéropostale in the mall which I worked at was closing, and that's why I was applying for a new job. We hit it off, and she urged me to bring in my application and resume as soon as possible. On Thursday I brought them both in, as well as a letter of recommendation from my former manager. On Friday an assistant manager asked if I could come in for an interview and I did. It took place in the middle of the store which was kind of odd considering there were customers circling us and interrupting to ask her for help, but it definitely made the whole thing seem more relaxed. I filled out a simple personality survey on an iPad that "told them what type of employee I would be," and then she asked me a few basic "what would you do?" questions. At the end of the interview I was offered a position starting at minimum wage. It was all very laid back and simple!

Interview Questions
    • "Pretend that I am a customer and try to sell me the AE Rewards Card"   Answer Question
    She offered me $9/hr (minimum wage) and I said yes.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I walked and applied. They called about two weeks later asking for a time I could do an interview. There was one interview, it was pretty standard. Didn't veer from typical interview questions. The interview was face to face and lasted 15 minutes. They told you immediately after if you would come in for training.

No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

Talked to AE at a recruitment fair in London, and was booked in for a 'first' interview for the week after. Was under the impression it would be a one to one interview. It was not. Interviews were held in an old college building (stores in UK not open yet). Apparently all positions in the store other than management count as 'sales associate' even if that's not what you'd be working as.
    Probably the worst interview process I have ever been through. There was essentially no point to it at all. The group of people being interviewed were taken into a room with two of the already appointed store managers. There was about 10 of us in the group being interviewed. Managers asked questions to the group and if you wanted to answer you could. The managers had only been recruited 1-3 weeks earlier.
    Questions were:
    Have you worked in retail before?
    What are your goals for the future?
    What are your hobbies?
    Have you ever given or received great customer service?
    How would your best friend sum you up in one word?
    Have you ever been part of a team where you were proud of your contribution?
    Where do you get your style inspiration?

Aaaand that was it. No follow up one to one interview. Nothing else. I don't know how that could ever be seriously counted as an interview process, and it's particularly surprising as the stores are brand new opens - I would have imagined a tough interview process to make sure they had a good opening team.
    Totally pointless process. I'm pretty mad I actually spent money on transport getting there. Would not have accepted a position even if offered, was so badly organised!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. The process was unexpected in that it was barely even an interview.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

I applied two days ago in person. They made me apply in the store. After asked me a few questions like my availability, and said they would call. The same day an hour later they called for a interview for Wednesday which is two days later. I can in and they made me fill out forms and said I have training next week. They asked me no questions

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

I applied online and then the next day I went in and give my application and resume . Two days later I got a email from HR telling me to contact them and I did the next day . they schedule me for a group inter view in 4 days . . I went to the group interview and it was easy. I was nerves for nothing at all . I got hired with 4 other girls and I start orientation 6days from now . I dressed casual with a ivory color pull over sweater/shirt and burgundy pants and black ankle boots . I was very energetic and had a lot of personality.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

I walked into the store and asked for an application, I filled it out at the counter and turned it in and she asked me why I wanted to work there. A couple days later I got a call about having an interview the next week and I agreed and came in about 10 minutes before the requested time but had to wait for a while.
    The interview seemed about average to me, but I think I came off as too anxious and unsure of myself and did not receive a response post-interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that you bought recently that you absolutely had to have and why?   Answer Question

Seasonal Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

It was a group interview in the stockroom of the store. I was early and the first there and waited in the other two to arrive. The interview started with learning more about us and what we would've been doing that day instead, small talk to start. Then, they began to ask questions like, what's your style, what's the first thing you look for in the store, without saying AE what other brand do you think is best with customer service, what did you do at your old job that would contribute to AE, what are your strong suits and what is one of the most challenging things you have ever faced. Don't be afraid to get slightly personal and let them know a little bit about you personal life, after all they are here to learn about you. The three of us were all hired on the spot and were told we would be paid minimum wage, $7.25, and there wouldn't be much they could do about it. Towards the end the Store Manager/Owner walked by and met all of us, no big questions just saying hi. So, they do ask quite a few questions, but just be relaxed, they are looking to see how you deal with impromptu questions and using personal responses like you could with customers.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult challenge you ever faced, and how did you over come it.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation as the said it was minimum wage and that was final.