American Eagle Outfitters

Updated 19 Nov 2014
Updated 19 Nov 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Was a group interview with around three other people. Very straightforward. Took place with the hiring manager, but did not meet the store manager until after start date. Interview lasted maybe 30 minutes or so, was very relaxed. Included questions about personal style taste, customer service experience etc. Interviewed for a seasonal position, but stayed on after holiday.

Stock Supervisor Interview

The interview process was standard. The first interview was with the Human Resources rep and the second interview was with the hiring manager. Both interviews lasted about 30 minutes. A majority of the questions asked were behavioral based questions such as tell me about a time when... Overall, the interview process was positive.

Sales Associate Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2014.

I applied online on a Friday and received a call back around Tuesday. It was for an interview. The person who called me was super nice and he said dress casual and to bring an extra copy of my resume. And the interview was set for the following Thursday. I went into the location and was instructed to go upstairs. I saw one or two other people in a waiting area. The interview was suppose to be at 4 but by 4:20 no one came to speak to me. And by that time a bunch of other people poured into the waiting room. I think roughly 14 other people were waiting to be interviewed as well, seemingly. I honestly thought it was a one on one or even if it was a group interview, I thought 14 people was way too much. Nevertheless at around 4:30, one of the supervisors brought us downstairs and we all sat in a circle. Then she along with another supervisor started asking us typical questions like if you were a customer and an employee gave you attitude how would you feel or vice versa. After around 5 rounds of interviewing questions and going around the circle, they had everyone fill out paper applications regardless if you applied online. And while you were filling out info, they were actually picking out people that stood out. After around 10 mins, they called out names and basically if your name was called- your interview was over. I, along with 4 other people were not called. Then we were introduced to the manager that oversaw 3 different american eagles and he asked more personal questions like Describe yourself, etc. By the end of my interview he immediately offered me a position that was close to my school. I go in for employee training on Sunday!

Interview Questions
    • If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be?   Answer Question
    He basically just asked, which store would you want to work at? And I replied any and he said I'm going to put you down for this one and it basically meant I got the job.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2014.

I had asked for an application the day before the interview and when I came to turn it in they told me to bring it back the next day--so I did. When I turned it in my interviewer interviewed me right on the spot and right after the interview she offered me a job with them. The interview was fast, to the point, and comfortable--it also helped that my interviewer was incredibly friendly and welcoming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2014.

We were asked to sit on the couches. There were about 10 people in my group (I saw about 2 other groups about the same size). We went down to the stock room and talked to managers "popcorned" questions. They asked "What do you think is good customer service?" "What position are you most interested in here? [Aerie, Sales, Cashier or Visual]". I then filled out another application [I filled one online but I guess they wanted a paper copy] and I was called into another manager's office. We talked for 5 minutes total. We discussed my schedule and what location is most convenient for me to commute to and I was given the job.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions asked. I went into a manager's office, we talked about my schedule and what location is most convenient for me and I was given the job.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Very little interview. Just a meeting then an offer. They hire a ton during the holiday season, then they'll let you go. Show them you want to stay and you might be able to continue with them.

Minimum Wage.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I applied through a posting on our university jobboard. After an initial phone interview with HR, I was flown to Pittsburgh to interview with a buyer and then participate in a 2 day interview program. There were probably 2-3 dozen candidates and 2 days of activities including rounds of interviews back to back in a hotel meeting room (where 10 other candidates are interviewed at the same time at different tables), meet-and-greet the buyers at happy hour etc. Like someone mentioned, it was like a sorority rush event.

FYI: The company is not very diverse. Most employees are from Pittsburgh and/or University of Pittsburgh.

Sales Associate Interview

The interview is pretty straight forward, you apply in person and after they review your application you, come in for an interview. They will sit you down and ask you a lot of basic sales business questions, and customer service questions. You may be called back in for multiple interviews but usually one is standard.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Traverse City, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Traverse City, MI (US)

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

My local AE was hiring like crazy with an application table in and outside of their store. I turned in my application to a manager who skimmed over it and said she loved how energetic I was, and that the hiring manager would love me, she told me he would call me in a few days to set up an interview, after 1 week without a call I called the store and asked to speak with the hiring manager and the guy who answered was very rude and said he's not here now bye and hung up. I went into the store the next day and talked to the hiring manager directly. He wrote my name on a piece of paper and said he'd call me within the week for an interview. 2 weeks went by with no call, I called again and the hiring manager answered and I asked about my application once more and asked if there was any improvements or experience required for the position I was missing. He said no that my application looked great and that he'd for sure get back with me in a week to set up an interview. Again he never called. This seemed very unprofessional to me especially for a hiring manager, I have lost all interest in ever working for American Eagle Outfitters. Z

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

I went in on a Tuesday and introduced myself to the manager and asked if she was hiring. She said she was and gave me an application, we ended up chatting for a few minutes because I had just found out that the Aéropostale in the mall which I worked at was closing, and that's why I was applying for a new job. We hit it off, and she urged me to bring in my application and resume as soon as possible. On Thursday I brought them both in, as well as a letter of recommendation from my former manager. On Friday an assistant manager asked if I could come in for an interview and I did. It took place in the middle of the store which was kind of odd considering there were customers circling us and interrupting to ask her for help, but it definitely made the whole thing seem more relaxed. I filled out a simple personality survey on an iPad that "told them what type of employee I would be," and then she asked me a few basic "what would you do?" questions. At the end of the interview I was offered a position starting at minimum wage. It was all very laid back and simple!

Interview Questions
    • "Pretend that I am a customer and try to sell me the AE Rewards Card"   Answer Question
    She offered me $9/hr (minimum wage) and I said yes.