American Eagle Outfitters Interview Questions

Updated 15 Oct 2014
Updated 15 Oct 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Traverse City, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Traverse City, MI (US)

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

My local AE was hiring like crazy with an application table in and outside of their store. I turned in my application to a manager who skimmed over it and said she loved how energetic I was, and that the hiring manager would love me, she told me he would call me in a few days to set up an interview, after 1 week without a call I called the store and asked to speak with the hiring manager and the guy who answered was very rude and said he's not here now bye and hung up. I went into the store the next day and talked to the hiring manager directly. He wrote my name on a piece of paper and said he'd call me within the week for an interview. 2 weeks went by with no call, I called again and the hiring manager answered and I asked about my application once more and asked if there was any improvements or experience required for the position I was missing. He said no that my application looked great and that he'd for sure get back with me in a week to set up an interview. Again he never called. This seemed very unprofessional to me especially for a hiring manager, I have lost all interest in ever working for American Eagle Outfitters. Z

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

I went in on a Tuesday and introduced myself to the manager and asked if she was hiring. She said she was and gave me an application, we ended up chatting for a few minutes because I had just found out that the Aéropostale in the mall which I worked at was closing, and that's why I was applying for a new job. We hit it off, and she urged me to bring in my application and resume as soon as possible. On Thursday I brought them both in, as well as a letter of recommendation from my former manager. On Friday an assistant manager asked if I could come in for an interview and I did. It took place in the middle of the store which was kind of odd considering there were customers circling us and interrupting to ask her for help, but it definitely made the whole thing seem more relaxed. I filled out a simple personality survey on an iPad that "told them what type of employee I would be," and then she asked me a few basic "what would you do?" questions. At the end of the interview I was offered a position starting at minimum wage. It was all very laid back and simple!

Interview Questions
    • "Pretend that I am a customer and try to sell me the AE Rewards Card"   Answer Question
    She offered me $9/hr (minimum wage) and I said yes.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

Talked to AE at a recruitment fair in London, and was booked in for a 'first' interview for the week after. Was under the impression it would be a one to one interview. It was not. Interviews were held in an old college building (stores in UK not open yet). Apparently all positions in the store other than management count as 'sales associate' even if that's not what you'd be working as.
    Probably the worst interview process I have ever been through. There was essentially no point to it at all. The group of people being interviewed were taken into a room with two of the already appointed store managers. There was about 10 of us in the group being interviewed. Managers asked questions to the group and if you wanted to answer you could. The managers had only been recruited 1-3 weeks earlier.
    Questions were:
    Have you worked in retail before?
    What are your goals for the future?
    What are your hobbies?
    Have you ever given or received great customer service?
    How would your best friend sum you up in one word?
    Have you ever been part of a team where you were proud of your contribution?
    Where do you get your style inspiration?

Aaaand that was it. No follow up one to one interview. Nothing else. I don't know how that could ever be seriously counted as an interview process, and it's particularly surprising as the stores are brand new opens - I would have imagined a tough interview process to make sure they had a good opening team.
    Totally pointless process. I'm pretty mad I actually spent money on transport getting there. Would not have accepted a position even if offered, was so badly organised!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. The process was unexpected in that it was barely even an interview.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

I applied two days ago in person. They made me apply in the store. After asked me a few questions like my availability, and said they would call. The same day an hour later they called for a interview for Wednesday which is two days later. I can in and they made me fill out forms and said I have training next week. They asked me no questions

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

I applied online and then the next day I went in and give my application and resume . Two days later I got a email from HR telling me to contact them and I did the next day . they schedule me for a group inter view in 4 days . . I went to the group interview and it was easy. I was nerves for nothing at all . I got hired with 4 other girls and I start orientation 6days from now . I dressed casual with a ivory color pull over sweater/shirt and burgundy pants and black ankle boots . I was very energetic and had a lot of personality.

Merchandising Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

The process was very bizarre. I only went through the first step in the interview process which was a pre-recorded interview. It was basically a Skype interview but it was pre-recorded. You set yourself up as if you are going to Skype someone and a HR person comes on the screen and asks you a question. You have one minute to think about your answer and then two minutes to respond. The whole process is very nerve racking and un-natural. It is hard to get across your personality and come off relaxed when there is a timer in front of you and you are rushing to answer the question thoughtfully in under two minutes. The questions were pretty standard, but you definitely need to be prepared and do your research before.

Interview Questions
    • What would you add to American Eagle based on current trends that AE does not currently carry?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I walked and applied. They called about two weeks later asking for a time I could do an interview. There was one interview, it was pretty standard. Didn't veer from typical interview questions. The interview was face to face and lasted 15 minutes. They told you immediately after if you would come in for training.

No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in September 2014.

I handed in my application. In a week I got a call from the store manager asking if I could come in to interview. I interviewed the next day and it went really well. She had me go to the back and sit down with her. She had my application in front of her and a sheet of common questions they ask. She asked me about my previous employment experiences (which are both life guarding positions so don't worry about previous jobs). She just wanted to know what I gained through working those positions. She asked me about an experience I've had that I'm proud of. She asked me about school and my future plans in life. After the interview process she had me take a quick personality test that helps position their employees. I got a call four days later that I got the job and I had orientation two weeks later. Overall it went very well and was pretty easy.

Assistant Designer Interview

I met HR Rep. Loved me. I met with design team. Liked me. Was charged with designing a full collection. I did. I came back and presented. Never heard from them again. I assume I didn't get the job. HR Rep stopped returning my emails.

Interview Questions
    • Design a collection based on current trends and inspiration from current collection. What would I do different?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in September 2014.

group interview, just asked basic questions, there was only one other person in my group so it was kind of intimidating, but the questions were easy, just smile and say positive things