American Public University System Interview Questions

Updated 24 Sep 2014
Updated 24 Sep 2014

2.6

Academic Advisor Interview

Standard interview process. Started with phone screening with behavioral questions and situational reactions. Took about an hour to complete. I was then contacted within a week and was brought in the week after for a face to face interview. Met with 4 senior managers, who asked standard interview questions and how I'd react in certain situations.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at American Public University System.

The interview was actually really nice, quite informal. I went in, spoke with the manager for about a half hour, and then joined the rest of the team for questions. In all it was about an hour.

Be expected to get offered a VERY low salary and there will likely be no negotiation or wiggle room.

IT Helpdesk Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at American Public University System in October 2012.

phone interview, followed by 3 on site interviews. Wasted almost a week's vacation time on this place, they were very disorganized. Hiring manager seemed to be a total micro manager, not letting any of her subordinates make any hiring decisions. High turnover in the IT group as well. My experience was similar to the other comment seen here, except for the fact that the person I started the interview process with quit after only 2 months on the job. What does that tell you about the management here?

Interview Questions
    • never had any real technical interview questions, very general   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Public University System.

Minial interviewing, based on credentials, fair

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was posssilbe withthis company

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Public University System in August 2012.

It went very well, a little bit of waiting but very pleased. Started out as a standard e-mail response from saying they sent my information to a hiring manager. A week later had a phone interview. Another week later had a three hour interview. A week later, got a phone call from the manager and then a follow up call from HR about offer detials. Another week later, I was sitting in orientation. Took a little time but went very smooth.

Interview Questions
    • Group Interview - Just tough to think on the fly when you are nervous.   Answer Question

Associate Vice President - IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at American Public University System in May 2012.

The interview process started out rather standard. Very generic emails generated out of recruiting system to setup a time for phone interview. Had interview, very easy back and forth conversation discussed my background, told me about the position, etc. 2 days later got another generic email from recruiting system to schedule an in-person interview. After providing dates and times, received an invitation for an in-person interview scheduled for an hour. The day of the interview I met with the CIO first, then the hiring manager. I was there for over 3 hours which was fine, but unexpected. I was told after that interview that they should have a decision made within a week. I followed up with recruiting, and a few days later got an email from an HR person saying that they're going to send me an email to provide names for an automated recruiting system.Provided the information and within 2 days had all my references provide feedback. Nothing heard for about 2 weeks then got an email that they wanted me to meet with 3 senior staff and 3 staff that would report to me. The interview with the most senior person was very interesting - she walked through my resume from college, through every job. Feedback received later was that I sure moved around a lot. (interesting because I've been with my current company for 9 years). I was told they'd have a decision by the end of the week. I followed up the following week and kept getting responses that we can talk tomorrow, we can talk the next day. This went on for over 2 weeks with me waiting around for her call. Finally I get a call from the CIO and VP of IT telling me that leadership wanted to go another direction with the focus of the position and I wasn't a fit. However, they both felt I was a great fit for their organization and they would find me another role.
    2 weeks later I get an email asking me if I was still interested in that position - to which I replied I was. I came in the next day and spent about 1 1/2 hours discussing the position. Next we setup 3 30 minute phone calls with the staff who would report to me for the next day. I asked whether they were the decision makers and was told they weren't. The following day i called into a conference bridge and had the calls with the 3 managers. I thought the calls went very well.
    Was asked Friday whether I could talk Tuesday (Monday was a holiday) and answered that I was available all day. No call on Tuesday (which I guess is just the norm). Wednesday AM get an email asking if we could talk in the afternoon. Well after being 10 minutes late calling me, i was told that the staff didn't feel a connection with me. Now I'll be honest with you - in my entire career the one thing I bring to any job is my ability to connect with people and build relationships with them. So basically - the staff didn't want this position filled (new position between them and the VP) so they decided to block me. What's interesting is the connection I had with both the CIO and Hiring manager was very strong and they both admitted that to me. The staff was obviously successful, but was very surprised that the VP would let them make the hiring decision.
    I'd really watch out with this place - especially in the IT department. If you are coming into a senior position you are at the mercy of the lower level staff.

All in all it was a waste of time and energy. I would have rather them say no, no thank you early on and let me move on. Instead they dragged it out and wasted an incredible amount of my time.

Academic Advising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manassas, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA (US)

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at American Public University System in October 2011.

Interview panel with a essay exam portion at the end. Essay covers student situations and how you would handle them.

Interview Questions
    • Case of sisgruntled student who wanted to be disenrolled. How do you keep him in the school?   Answer Question
    I was transferring from another department within the company so there was no negotiation.

Financial Aid Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Public University System in June 2011.

Group interview with 15 other candidates. We met with all the managers in the Financial Aid department, including the VP and CFO. Each candidate had one on one time with a manager. After the interview, the manager called me and said she was interested in bringing me back for a second interview to meet with the director and VP. After the second interview, HR emailed me a typing test and a reference check to complete. The whole process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    There were no negotiations with this job.

Financial Aid Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Public University System in March 2011.

I was interviewed in a group setting with a bunch of other people. The interviewers gave an overview of APUS and what the position was about. Then divided us up and took us in individual rooms to do individual interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a complicated scenario you previously experienced and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, salaries are preset with no wiggle room

Administrative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Public University System in August 2010.

I was sent a few question that I had to write a response for and email back. I was then contacted for a phone interview, with pretty standard interview questions. I then had an in-person interview, where I had additional basic interview questions and detail questions based on my phone interview. They then gave me basic office software to assess my knowledge (word, excel, ect).

Everyone was very down-to-earth and friendly. They were having a birthday party for another department while I was there and I could hear them socializing. It seemed like everyone was getting along well.

Interview Questions

Worked for American Public University System? Contribute to the Community!