American Red Cross Interview Questions

Updated 13 Oct 2014
Updated 13 Oct 2014

2.7

Supply Chain Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross.

First phone screening is from HR from headquarters (Washington, D.C.). Once you move on to the next round, you will hear from your direct manager and will have basically the same conversation as you did the first time. You then may have another phone conversation with your direct manager's manager. I didn't however, because he had already made his decision.

Interview Questions
    • If you could paint a picture of yourself what would it look like? (think about your mantra on life for this question)   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Applied online via the Red Cross website in July 2014. Received an email around Labor Day from HR requesting an interview by phone. Spoke on the phone to the HR contact for approximately 30 minutes (more so about the organization with few details about the position) One week later, I received a call from a separate HR person asking to schedule a phone interview with the department head. Spoke to the department head for half an hour. This was followed by a call back from the same HR person who then scheduled for me to come into their office for an interview with the department head (and her underlings). By now, it is the third week of September.

I received a detailed email from Red Cross HR with directions to their office, and format for the meeting (was to meet 1 on 1 with 4 people, in a certain order) Included with the mail was a PDF detailing employee benefits.

On the day of the face to face interview, I got to their office early, and waited nearly a half hour past the scheduled interview start time for someone to come down and retrieve me from the security office. Instead of meeting 1 on 1 with the team, as expected, I met with three people at once (likely due to our not starting on time) followed by a 1 on 1 meeting with the department head, who I previously spoke with on the phone.

At the end of the interview, I was told that I would find out the following week if they would make an offer, or not. Two weeks later, I received an email from their HR department stating that an offer was not going to be made (first week of October)

Everyone I met/spoke with was pleasant, friendly and dedicated to their work.

Account Manager Interview

Easy one on one interview about past work history. They are interested in people who can work with other people as opposed to educational requirements. Willing to train the right person and directors are great communicators with an extensive sales background

Manufacturing Supervisor Interview

Phone interview, then in-person interview. During the interview they went over my previous work experience and asked how my previous experience will help in the job I was applying for.

Willing to negotiate

Volunteer Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview was approximately 2 hours long and I met with the director and my immediate manager. They also invited another volunteer manager in to the interview and I had the opportunity to ask questions about the position.

The Red Cross does not pay well at all, I took a pay cut to work in this position

Staff Nurse Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross.

There were three interviews in all. First a phone interview with HR representative with basic questions about past employment and qualifications, as well as, why you want to work for Red Cross.
    Second interview with supervisor and manager. All questions came from standard format: can you perform duties with or without reasonable accommodations, tell about a time when you gave great customer service, tell about a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker, how many times a year is it acceptable to miss work, tell about a time when your schedule was changed on short notice and were you able to accommodate. There are a few more about work behaviors and conflict resolution. Third interview was with manager, supervisor, and staff nurse and questions were very similar to previous interview. That day got offer and sent for drug screening. There was an online background check. Training started a week later.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, all wages and benefits are set by union contract

Donor Counselor I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Red Cross.

I was originally contacted by Aerotek for this position. The job was contract-to-hire. I was interviewed for one position, which no longer exists, and was turned down. However, my recruiter managed to persuade the HR rep to consider me for another position. I was then hired as a CI. On my third day of training, I was told by the HR rep that the CI position was already promised to someone else. However, I still had a job, but it was the Donor Counselor I position.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Was contacted by HR after submitting my resume online, they gave me an overview of the position and set up an in person interview. I was under the impression it was with one person, however, I ended up interviewing with 3 different people. 2 hours after my interview ended, I received an email that I was a final candidate and they were starting a background check. I received a voicemail a couple days later (on a Friday), I called right back, but did not get through. No response on Monday either. On Tuesday, they called to officially offer me the position and wanted me to start in less than 2 weeks. Very late notice as I had to move to a new city to accept this position!

Interview Questions
    • Most questions referred to past experiences. Ex: Tell me about a time when you encountered a challenge.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Special Events Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Red Cross in July 2014.

Applied online within a week I was contacted to do a phone interview (screening) with the recruiter. In a matter of minutes the interviewer moved me to the next step, a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager. I arrived early, waited for 20 min. before I was brought upstairs to the interview room. Two managers interviewed me. Questions were easy and they mostly asked about my experience in event management. I showed them my special events portfolio -- they seemed impressed.

Two months have passed and I was not notified either way which is always a red flag to me about a company. You at least give job seekers the courtesy of a "we went with another candidate" "we're still interviewing hang tight", or "can you come in again?"

Interview Questions
    • No questions asked were difficult to me. I know the industry, management, and had proof to show.   Answer Question

Events Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Red Cross in July 2014.

Applied online and they contacted me from DC two days later. Set up phone interview. During phone interview they laid out the position, which included planning events, raising money with those events, stewardship, and raising money on top of that through a donor portfolio. I agreed to the job (which sounded like a lot to be responsible for). They asked me how much I made, and when I told them, they said they only budgeted little over $35K and asked if I would go down to that. Seeing as how the job description was very robust and I was making more with less responsibility, I declined. The interview ended right there with the recruiter thanking me for my time.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't get to answer any, other than agree to job description.   Answer Question