BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr 2015

2.9

Enterprise Architect Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

The interview process was a long one. It started by a phone interview to screen potential candidates. From there there was a couple of lengthy online assessments that were needed to be filled out. Little regarding the online assessment had anything to do with the position being applied for. From there it was a traditional face to face interview with 3 representatives from the organization.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were nothing out of the ordinary. Typical skills questions, background experience etc.   Answer Question

Supply Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

I got an interview via campus recruiting procedures at my university. I didn't get a lot of information about the company upfront- BHP knows it holds a competitive environment and it expects people to seek information for themselves. My interview was more cultural than anything else- the interviewers just wanted to get a feel for my personality and see that I was confident enough to be relaxed throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• How do your values make you different in a professional environment?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, but the offer was competitive.

Engineering Manager (Petroleum) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

One interview with HR rep and senior manager, behavioural based, STAR method and based mainly on the BHP charter and how that relates to your previous experiences. Make sure you understand the charter and how it could relate to you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation required, offer was exactly on the money and aligned with top quartile market rates, excellent....

Economic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX (US)).

Interview

Applied online. Started with a phone interview with hiring manager then an in-person interview.

Interview was technical and they wanted to know what kind of economic evaluations I've done.

I was not selected for the role and I'm not sure why.

Land Graduate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

Initial career fair and met with a couple representatives from BHP land group then applied for an interview through my university's career office. The night before the interview they took all the interview candidates to a nice dinner. The first interview was 2:1 and maybe asked one behavioral question, but the rest was relaxed conversation about my previous experience, etc. Six days later I received an invitation to fly to Houston for second round interviews. The interview was 3:1 and was still relaxed, but this time I was asked more behavioral questions. This interview lasted about 45 minutes. A week later I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you overcame adversity.
      What is your biggest accomplishment?
      When achieving (your biggest accomplishment) what was the low point?
      Where do you see yourself in five years?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was very good so I did not negotiate

PC1 Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

I applied online and after a month they contacted me via email. After couple of weeks I got a call for a face to face interview. It was very informal. They asked normal behavior question and walk down in the plant.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

only offer i got

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

Phone screening, 2 to one with Senior manager and Vice President of department. Asked for background, experience, gave details of role, standard questions "give us an example of..." "Tell us a situation where". Asked about knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions

• How well do you know the businesses in the company, as it is a huge company recommend doing research on all of the arms.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate and got what i wanted after standing my ground on Salary.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santiago (Chile)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton (Santiago (Chile)) in October 2014.

Interview

The process was very lengthy and difficult. It involved taking several online tests (math, english,personality, etc.) a phone interview, and finally an invitation to an assessment centre which consisted of a face-to-face interview and two group activities: one in english and one in the national language.
    The phone interview was very straightforward: What was my interest in the company, what were my work motivations, where did I see myself in three years, etc.
    The face-to-face interview was mostly behavioral questions: Tell me a situation in which you had to prioritize something important to you. Tell me about a situation you dealt with you felt was unsafe, etc.
    The group activities were very standard, we worked in groups of six. They gave us ten minutes to read a document then another 20 to find a suitable solution as a group, and give a presentation. The solution itself wasn't too important, they mostly cared about how we worked together.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all very standard. The behavioral questions caught me slightly off guard.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at BHP Billiton in October 2014.

Interview

Responded to Online advert, then phone interview.
    Interview structure is based around core values. "One of our values is 'xyz', give an example of when you have demonstrated this behaviour." Went through all of the values then asked a technical question. "Lets say you saw your plant behaving like 'abc', what would you look at and how would you respond?"

Interview Questions

• The questions about the values. Luckily I had prepared but it would be challenging if you hadn't   Answer Question

Term was too short.

Petrophysicist Interview

Application

interviewed at BHP Billiton in September 2014.

Interview

Got the interview call via on-campus recruitment. Their HR contacted me by mail and there was a pre-interview dinner. The first round was behavioural and mostly about my research experience

Interview Questions

• If I asked your advisor, what would he/she say was your biggest strength and biggest weakness?   Answer Question