BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014
Updated Sep 10, 2014

Vacation Student Iron Ore Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I applied online - interviewed at BHP Billiton in September 2012.

Online numerical, verbal reasoning and logic test. Followed by phone interview and face to face with hr recruiter. No technical questions all the usual behavioural kind, "tell me a time when you witnessed something unsafe, what did you do?"

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you had a problem at school or work, how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    Vacation program so no negotiation terms. Probably would be able to negotiate holidays

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at BHP Billiton in June 2011.

BHP Billiton standardized on the TopGrading (http://topgrading.com) methodology for hiring. Basically, be prepared to answer variations of the same 5 questions about your last 4-5 jobs or companies you worked for.

1) What were you hired to do?
    2) What were your high points?
    3) What were your low points?
    4) What would your boss/peers say about your performance?
    5) Why did you leave?

Land Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in June 2014.

Too lengthy, could take up to 2 months. Panel interview with 3 managers in a conference room. Breifed with HR rep before interview, questions were pretty basic interview questions. Wear a suit and be well spoken, there will most likely be a Manager that is stoic and not friendly

Interview Questions
    • Describe a sitiuation in which you played a lead role and a supportive roll on a team   View Answer
    I didnt get the position I applied for, instead I was contacted by one of the panel Managers and offered a contract position

Data Improvement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wollongong (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wollongong (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Was recruited through an employment company on contract basis. Interview process was limited because they wanted my expertise. Phone interview firstly then a 1:1 interview with the HR manager. Job offer.

Interview Questions
    • What can I bring to the company long term.   View Answer
    Accepted the job on their base offer.

Senior Maintenance Technician Interview

I applied online - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview about code of conduct and behavioural based questions, give examples in the star basis, situation, task, action, result. Process takes around an hour, research the BHP code of conduct and you will find it easy.

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

2 interviews . one by phone and the last one through video conference. However, this was before many of the changes in processes at the company. Then i had to go through a personality test where you draw cards and you have to put them in different stacks. This is is to understand how you think.

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

there was nothing particular about the hiring process, it was what could be described as a regular process, position advertised, applied for, review of CV's, short listing, interviewing, consideration, offer, acceptance, set start date.

set price

Financial Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in August 2010.

Individual orientated and teh specific manager applies his or her own mind as to the process to assess candidates for suitable and fit with the specific team. Might include formal testing and most likely will for senioor positions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the best investment evaluation method specific to exploration projects and the reasons you think it to be appropriate.   View Answer
    Quite informal and accommodating.

Measurement Analyst Interview

Quick process! Applied online and found some contacts through LinkedIn. Gave me the red carpet treatment for my face to face interview. Overall process took less than a month. HR is detailed oriented and thorough.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about specific measurement software and my experience with it   Answer Question

Graduate Metallurgist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in May 2014.

Initial online applications, then online assessment (comprehension, numerical, logical), the online video interview (4 questions, 30 seconds to read the question, then 2 minutes to answer), the selection centre (in-person behavioural interview - starting off with basic "tell us about yourself" question, "what do you know about our company" question, then 3 or so behavioural questions on safety, teamwork, and adapting to a new workplace/style, and two different group discussions/presentations). Next will be site-based selection, possibly involving another interview, then reference checks and medicals.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you were given negative criticism. How did you react, and what did you do as a result? [something along those lines]   Answer Question

Worked for BHP Billiton? Contribute to the Community!