BNY Mellon

1 Interview Review

5.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon in September 2012.

I heard from an internal recruiter who did a phone screen with me. She was very nice. We left it that she was going to set up for a phone screen with the hiring manager the following week. I didn't hear from her for 3 weeks. After three weeks, a meeting was set up with the hiring manager.

During the interview with the hiring manager there was not much focus on my resume. We talked mostly about my philosophies on training. During this interview, I found tou tthat this was the division of BoNY that had been acquired from Bridgewater Associates. He seemed like a very kind hiring manager and I was invited to interview with the company. I took the day off from work because I was told I would be meeting with 5 separate people.

The interview was a disaster. I was joined in the conference room with two other candidates for a round table discussion about debatable issues. I found out quickly that I was competing against employees with no experience. After our 1 hour discussion I was dismissed from my interview.

Interview Questions
  • The debatable questions are apparently to see if I was able to form an opinion and back it up with opinions. Instead I found the questions to have nothing to do with the hiring process. I found the interviewers cocky and brainwashed by an outdated Bridgewater philosophy. The questions to be discussed included:

1. Should there be a cap on political contributions
    2. Does TV hurt society?
    3. Should the personal lives of politicians be brought into a campaign?
    4. Should the state lottery systems be public or pricate?

There was one other discussion question, but I can not remember it.
      View Answer