BP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details Best way to land a job in BP, as with other big oil companies is to complete an internship. Historically there's an over 50% chance that interns will be offered a full time job after completing a summer internship. The recruiting process typically comprises behavioral interviews/experience based interviews as well as technical interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you felt the most energized being an employee?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BP in September 2012.

Interview Details This started with me applyting on line and getting a call back from teh recruiter.. then I was parts of a Panel Interview, then met with the hiring manager as a final.

Interview Question – What areas do I feel I hae an opportunity to work on.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They had asked what my expectations woudl be.

Commercial IST Interview

Commercial IST
London, England (UK)

I interviewed at BP in January 2014.

Interview Details Went through the standard initial screening of CV and questions. Got to the phone interview where it was a competency based interview. Standard questions for you to display your qualities and personality through examples. The next stage was a one on one technical interview in Canary Wharf where you would be given case studies in which you talk and reason your decisions to the accessor. The final stage is the assessment centre. There were about 11 of us half from the IST commercial stream, half from the IST analytics stream. The first segment was a group discussion about a case study and there would be a panel acessing the group dynamics and also the individual performance. The next segment was a one on one business case presentation, that lasts roughly for 45mins. The last segment was the group discussion again.

Development Process Engineer Interview

Development Process Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details Initial phone call form HR to confirm my current situation and to discuss salary expectations. Interview over the phone with hiring manager and a per to verify technical competency.
Site visit for a face to face interview and site reconnaissance

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BP in April 2013.

Interview Details The hiring process was straightforward, but the interview was not. A BP recruiter contacted me about the position, I filled out a detailed application online, then the recruiter organized the on-site interview.

The interview started with a one-on-one with the department manager. He spent about 30 minutes detailing the size and complexity of the site and highlighted how he was so understaffed.

Then I had a series of three panel interviews, each one consisting of 3-4 people asking a variety of technical and behavioral questions. The technical questions were quite difficult and are not ones easily answered in the time allotted. The behavioral questions must all be answered in the STAR format: Situation, Task, Action, and Result. I felt the questions got progressively harder and more nebulous until I was unable to answer. The occasional shaking of heads and grimacing at each other only made me more nervous. Then that was the end of each panel.

I came away from the experience feeling very inadequate and really doubting my abilities as an engineer. I know I provided some excellent answers, some of which could only be obtained through years of experience and not from a book.

LESSON LEARNED: it appeared that each interview panel was not as concerned about the accuracy of my technical or behavioral answers but HOW I handled the pressure of the situation. I only wish I had known this going in -- I would have been more relaxed.

Each of the people I met implied how stressful it had been for the previous year, while the plant was commissioning a major capital expansion. A tour of their offices and working facilities showed the same. The folks seemed genuine, although their written remarks did not agree with the intangibles I picked up throughout the day and even over lunch.

Interview Questions

• I was given a verbal description of a multicomponent distillation column (probably right from Kister) with partial condenser, thermosiphon reboiler, and several sidedraws. They asked me to sketch the column, including each of the major control loops. Then they asked several what if scenarios such as: reboiler duty spiked sharply, reflux cut back, and the accumulator drum flooded: what do you do to fix it? Add to the previous situation if overhead liquid product is getting lighter? We spent a good bit of time on this stuff.   View Answer
  • Give an example of where you had to disagree with an engineer's or manager's work who was more senior than you.   Answer Question
  • What color was the receptionist wearing?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I did not feel we had a mutual fit.

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Brisbane (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details Initial phone interview after application with questions regarding work history, skills and salary expectations. If successful interview is scheduled from there. Face to face interview with two senior staff for one hour with many situation based questions. Describe a time you had to influence a decision, faced a difficult decision, informed of bad news, improved a process etc.
Interview was easy going and a good environment.

Interview Question – Describe a moment you've had to deal with workplace conflict. How did you deal with it? what difficulties did you face? what was the feedback? what was the result?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Consultant Interview

Senior Associate Consultant
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BP in May 2014.

Interview Details I was contacted directly by a Director to see if I was interested in the term. He proceeded to organise a first round interview done by a member of the current team. Applied online two months earlier.

Interview Question – Cost of grocery sales in Singapore per annum   Answer Question

Electrical & Mechanical Specialist Interview

Electrical & Mechanical Specialist
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BP in June 2014.

Interview Details Multi phase process. Began with a Job Skills Test (3 hr test including behavioral, mechanical and electrical related questions). Next phase was a 15 min phone interview. last phase was a work demonstation that consisted of rebuilding a valve with a set of instructions in 45 mins. then there was an electrical work demonstration where I had to wire a power box via a wiring diagram. Then came the panel interview which consisted of four engineers asking various situational/behavioral questions.

Interview Question – All were typical behavioral questions. A cple tech questions like the difference between PSi and differential pressure.   Answer Question

Pipeline Engineer Interview

Pipeline Engineer

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details Online Tests- Maths and English
Telephone Interview - Company core competencies, how do you manage your time? What tools do you use?
Face-To-Face Interview - Research the company and topic area, held in Aberdeen all expenses paid
Assessment Centre - Be yourself, individual test on a case study and two group case studies.

Interview Question – Tell me where the pressures, high and low, would be on this pipeline   Answer Question

Project Controls Analyst Interview

Project Controls Analyst
Wayne, NJ (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at BP in January 2012.

Interview Details EASY PROCESS, NICE MANAGERS, GOOD HIRING PRACTICES AND A LOT OF QUALITY PEOPLE ON HR.
The interview took about 20 mins, the manager will give you an spreadsheet to see your excel skills.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!