BP

334 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Petroleum Engineer Interview

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details Applied through website, interview on campus

Interview Question – Give an example of a time where you did not make as much impact as you would have liked   Answer Question

Reliability Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details I hired on as an intern which only involved one interview, mostly of situational questions. Nothing too hard, just asking to describe what you would do in certain situations. They want to hear how you put safety first. This is not the typical approach for interviews and this was the process years ago - I'm sure it has changed.

Interview Question – They ask to describe how a heat exchanger works. Also know how basic machinery works like a compressor or pump.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate your signing bonus! I got offered 10%. My friend told me to offer double, so 20%. I was too nervous to push the envelope so I asked for 15% and they gave it to me no problem. Especially if you have previous experience you can play up.

Backbone PMO Global Change Lead Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP in December 2011.

Interview Details face to face with several team members, However also person question as well as job specific questions. BP think it is very important you fit in with the team so like to know a little bit about you.

Interview Question – Normal questions but they do like to make you think about other processes as they combine roles and move people once your in   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very good and swift process, If they like you they come for you, They tend to stick to budgets so if your not happy with the initail offer they may find someone who is.

Resourcing Specialist/Advisor Interview

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BP in March 2013.

Interview Details Total three rounds by head hunter, HR (1:1 interview), HR manager/line manager/director (group interview).
BP has very fomal process with interview, step by step with differen grade managers. First and second rounds are done by Chinese, and third one is in Engish.

Interview Question – What is is strategic sourcing?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Drilling Engineer Interview

Golden, CO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BP in January 2010.

Interview Details This was a very technical interview process that they have completely gone away from because it did not provide the proper level of assessment of the candidate. The individuals performing the interview were the same people that I ended up working with and were very pleasant to interview with and the interview process did not seem too overwhelming.

Interview Question – Solving a technical problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Increased base due to mistake in the offering process.

General Accounting & Reporting Accountant Interview

Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BP in July 2010.

Interview Details Started as Senior Account Assosciate. Moved to Accounts Executive and now Accountant

Interview Question – How do you think BP carries itself compare to its competitor?   Answer Question

Senior PSCM Specialist Interview

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details Long and extensive interview that took place face to face with two mangers and detailed questions were asked about all the previous job experience. Practical examples from previous experience to demonstrate competency were asked.

Human Resources Graduate Scheme Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BP in February 2014.

Interview Details Although BP's selection process consists of many stages and is not an easy one, it is a pleasant journey to take. When I submitted my application, I had to fill in some initial screening questions, which aim to check the applicant's education, grades and availability to work in the UK. In the second stage I had to answer some more graduate schemish questions regarding my past experience and my future goals. After I passed this stage, I was invited to sit for verbal and numerical online tests. In my opinion, BP's tests are more reasonable and may be easier in comparison to others. After the online tests, I went through a telephone, competency-based interview. I would say that this interview was thorough as well as challenging, because of its fast pace and its wide variety of questions. The candidate has to be well-prepared to make it through. Afterwards, I was invited to an in-site, technical interview, where I faced two business scenarios. At this stage, the candidate should review her/is university books (this is if the position you apply for is relevant to your degree) and conduct some research around the oil and gas industry and around BP. Also, having some frameworks in your mind (STEEPLE, SWOT etc.) is always helpful. Lastly, I went to an in-site assessment centre. The other applicants and I had to do three tasks (two group and one individual). All tasks were relevant to the industry and the job and not generic. Researching assessment centre tasks, such as group discussions, by reading articles and watching youtube videos is pretty helpful in the sense that you can get a feeling of the real thing and create your strategy beforehand. Also, while performing the tasks, one should pay close attention to the competences that BP asks from its grads, as well as to BP's values!
Overall, as a candidate and an HR practitioner, I strongly believe that BP's selection process is sophisticated and successful for the following reasons. Firstly, the candidate feels more and more interested in the industry, the company and the job during the selection process. Secondly, the candidate feels a respected and valued individual during the process, as it is well-organised (e.g. the online 'candidate zone' that includes a lot of useful info and a personal contact from BP) and quick (in comparison to other grad schemes). Also, I have to mention that everyone from BP is very nice and polite to the candidate at all stages. Lastly, I think that all the tasks are revenant to the job, as they are not generic, but they assess specific and job-related skills and competences.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. If you are well-prepared to face a challenging competency-based interview and knowledgable about the technical skills that your role requires, you should be ok. A scenario you could face at the technical assessment is 'what would you do as an HR manager at BP if we went into a new country or acquired a company and you were in charge.'   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since it is a Grad Scheme.

BP IST Internship Singapore Interview

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at BP in March 2014.

Interview Details There are 3-4 rounds for the interview process. The first round includes CV screening after the submission of the application. After that, BP will request you to take an online assessment test, similar to what most banks expect you to complete.

Thereafter, there will be a trading game whereby you will be asked to trade oil for a period of 3 months, and you will have to remember and provide certain specific details midway though the simulation like your profit/loss account, your current position, the bid-ask spread etc. After this stage, you will go through an interview with the specific department people that you applied for. Questions vary from background information, to technicals skills that you possess.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in the Oil & Gas company?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Sunbury, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP in February 2013.

Interview Details 2 interviews; one is with the line manager, another with HR. Mainly competence based, but also a few technical questions.

Interview Question – Example of when you encountered different objectives from client and how did you manage   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Location - not in central London; salary - not matching my expectations

Interviews for Top Jobs at BP

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BP interview questions and advice. All 334 interview reviews are posted anonymously by BP employees and interview candidates.