Bain & Company

Average Difficulty
136 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details Campus Hiring Process, 3-4 rounds of interviews, no separate HR round, the interviews were pretty simple and basic, so no need to panic about the difficulty level, only need to be answer first, structured in your approach.

Interview Question – None I would say.   Answer Question

Munich (Germany)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied through Email and a friend. Interview day starts with a company presentation followed by three one-on-one interviews. The first one mainly focusses on personal fit questions with a small case at the end. The other two are primarily case interviews. Bain interviewers were all very friendly, however not as open and extroverted as many sources suggest. Interviewers gave me the impression of rather being some sort of a researcher than a consultant.

Interview Question – Market sizing questions about movie market and real estate land; Business case about hotel investment next to a football stadium   Answer Question

Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2014.

Interview Details There were two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of two case interviews, second round was one written case, and two 1:1 case interviews.
First round: My first case interview was with two interviewers - market sizing question. What's the size of the diaper market in Australia? I got bonus points for pointing out that diapers could be worn not only by babies, but also by the elderly. Some basic math to get to the final number. A few behavioural questions, but nothing that really stood out. Second interview was 1:1, some questions from my resume about why I chose my university and my extracurriculars. Case was about opening a B&B in rural France. Our client owns 1% of the investment. Expected revenue, expected occupancy, calculate ROI, as well as added benefits such as two free holidays a year. Numbers were quite straightforward, but remember to write everything down so you don't forget.

Second round: We were given a written case about an airline company making a decision about its flight routes. This was detailed in a stack of about 22 slides, and we were to answer a list of around 15 questions. Some heavy calculations, especially in the 45 minute timezone. Questions were mostly in order, and were quite doable given more time. It felt like a very intense exam. The written case interview with a manager started with some behavioural questions, then she went through the list of questions. I was pretty much giving a presentation, flipping through the slides and showing where I got the answer from. She questioned me about my final choice, and I had to justify it with all the numbers and strategic benefits I mentioned before.
The second case interview was with a partner, about health insurance. I think they were looking for ways to decrease costs: consolidating partner hospitals, engaging in promotional activities, encouraging better health (so fewer people will use the insurance), sponsoring healthy events/activities.
Final case interview with another partner was the most difficult. It revolved around those armoured trucks carrying cash. Who are their main customers? Why has revenue been falling? What can they do to increase them? There were tough numbers in this one, confusing percentages. Behavioural questions included what were the toughest decision you've made in a leadership role.

Interview Question – Who are the main customers for an armoured cash-carrying truck company? Why would revenue be falling and costs rising for this company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We were given three weeks to reply. I negotiated for a later start date. The HR contacts were very helpful and accommodating.

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details I was asked to explain why Google wanted to make a self-driving car. They were looking for more of my thought process than my actual answer, however, I think I stumbled at first as I was so prepared to do a case interview. Oh well.

Interview Question – What is Google's motivation for the self-driving car?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2014.

Interview Details The entire interview process was very quick. All rounds are held in one day. Very nice atmosphere, and friendly people. The first round can be very intense, you will have 4 interviews in 3.5/4 hours. The cases were just as you would expect them to be (expect estimation and market sizing questions).

Interview Question – What are you most proud of that is not on your resume.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details After three weeks e-mail with invitation. Overall great company with fun people.
Questions are very different to McKinsey, drive and pro-activeness very important. Many estimation cases, which is different to other consultancies.

Interview Question – How much would you pay for an are of forest?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online (CV and cover letter) in mid December. First round in mid January, consisting of 2 x 30 minute interviews, one with a senior associate consultant and the other with a consultant. Second round 2/3 days after the first round, one interview with a principal lasting 30 minutes.

First round:
Tell me about yourself.
Why Bain?
Estimate the Indian tyre market size.
Your client wants to enter Indian market, which segment should it target?

Second round:
We are a company who wants to decide on whether to specialise in Android or iPhone apps. How would you choose?
Why this office?
Why did you apply to investment banking (on my CV)?

Interview Question – Your friend wants to start a gym. Help him establish how many customers he needs to attract to break even.   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details There were multiple rounds of interviews. 2 shorter interviews in one block for the first round (~30 minutes) with 3 interviews in the second round (~45 minutes). The first round emphasizes quantitative skills and ability to do the case a bit more while the second round places a bit more emphasis on candidate fit.

Interview Question – Just run of the mill business cases. Nothing especially difficult or tricky.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details The interview process was standard for the consulting industry. First round was an on-campus interview consisting of two cases that were fairly easy. The final round was an office visit with three cases (more difficult) and a fit interview. Overall all the people in the company were very nice and helpful in terms of providing feedback.

Interview Question – The cases in the final round were more difficult and I'm sure are different year to year.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2010.

Interview Details Two back-to-back on campus interviews in the career center. Heavy case interviews emphasizing quantitative and logic. Two Bain Manager/CTL level people came to do the interviews. They selected 10 applicants to interview out of about 100 applications. They usually hire 1 or 2 people from the ones they interview.

Interview Question – What is the exact angle formed by the hands on a clock when the time reads 9:30?   View Answers (6)

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!