Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr 2015

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Campus Hiring Process, 3-4 rounds of interviews, no separate HR round, the interviews were pretty simple and basic, so no need to panic about the difficulty level, only need to be answer first, structured in your approach.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Resume & Cover Letter online application, following on-campus presentation. Heard back about 10 days after applications closed.
    2. Pre-Interview event. This was really great - provided us with an opportunity to meet & build rapport with our interviewers in a casual setting & to familiarise ourselves with the office.
    3. First round interviews. 2 x 45 mins. The first involved a long case & a couple of CV/personal experience questions. The second was a shorter case & a few more CV/personal experience questions. There was time for questions. I was interviewed by a Principal & then Consultant and heard back the same evening - they gave great feedback on how I could improve my performance in the second round. Cases involved market entry/market sizing.
    4. Second round interviews. 3 hours. First a 40-min written case - got a pack of powerpoint slides & questions to answer. Then discussed answers & recommendations for the next 40 mins with an interviewer, who provided guidance/coaching where necessary (after answering some CV/personal experience Q's). The next two 40-min blocks were two more cases & more CV/personal experience questions. Was interviewed by two Partners and a Principal and heard back the same evening. Cases involved profit & loss, acquisitions, strategy.

Interview Questions

• Some variation on "tell me about yourself."   Answer Question
    • Why consulting (got asked this multiple times, given non-business background)? Why Bain?   Answer Question
    • It looks like you've had a lot of experience doing [work in specific field/industry]. Which one of these have you enjoyed most?   Answer Question
    • What do you like to do for fun?   Answer Question
    • [My area of study] is quite different from business. Are you sure consulting is what you want to do?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

The interview was fairly standard. It started off with about 15 minutes of introductions and hellos and then proceeded to go into details regarding a case. The questions were very straight forward and fair however the case itself was quite challenging. I would definitely recommend prepping a lot beforehand to be prepared to give clear and concise answers effectively.

Interview Questions

• Why Bain and why consulting? (I was switching from another unrelated field)   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

First round has two 30-minute interviews, including self-introduction and a case. Very typical Bain style--straightforward and has market sizing component. Both interviewers are very nice and guided me through problem solving. They also made comment like "that is correct" after I did the calculation. Final round has two 45-minute interviews, with more behavior and fit questions as well as a more complicated case.

Interview Questions

• Qualitative question is hard to answer on the spot. They expect you to brainstorm some ideas very quickly.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

First round interview for a summer internship, 2 back to back 30 minute cases.

First case was a profitability case, pretty straightforward.

Second case was market sizing case mixed with some market expansion. It was a case the interviewer had worked on just the month before, so it was a bit harder because he was expecting certain answers.

Both interviewers were very nice and friendly!

Interview Questions

• Calculate the size of the diary segment of the food services industry in Malaysia.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

applied through campus recruiting. they give a great presentation and sell you on their great culture right away. However it is clear in the first round interview you are judged much more on your case performance than behavioral. I have been told by peers who made it to the second round that there is a much more extensive behavioral component to the interview then, but i would suggest focusing heavily on case prep if you do make it to the first round.

Interview Questions

• How many hot dogs are sold at NFL football games in a given year.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

2 case interview in the first round, 45 minutes each. Cases were not very difficult, some calculation, both were about some basic financial maths. First a brief self-introduction and then case. The whole process was very conversational and interviewers were friendly. The cases were printed on some paper so you need to somehow read the case which is a little bit different from other consulting firms.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

I applied through my school's on campus recruiting website and was notified of my interview a few days letter. I am not sure how it is at most schools, but at my university (Ivy), the only way to get a consulting interview, especially at a Big 3, is to apply through the school. I had two 20 minute case interviews, the last two minutes of which were dedicated to ask questions. No behavioral questions were asked. Interviewers were really only interested in if I could do the case well, which is standard for many of the top consulting groups.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Maths test, first round (1 market sizing and 1 case) and final round (2 cases and 1 written case). All 6 interviewers that I had were incredibly friendly and supportive, in contrast with the popular 'stress test' that I heard about. The cases themselves were very interesting, which were often based on real life client engagements. I had cases about renewable energy, oil & gas, retail, restaurants and sports club. From my experience with other firms, the cases at Bain require much more analytical rigour. I would recommend candidates practise drawing insights from graphs and charts.

Interview Questions

• Time constraints with regards to the written case study   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate - I was very happy with the overall package. Many great events are lined up for offerees to convince us to join the team.

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Resume submission, waited for two weeks, got a call to come into the office for the first interview, out of five total. The first interview began with why Bain? Why consulting? questions. The interviewer also asked if I had prepared for the case interviews.

Interview Questions

• What kind of insurance sells well in a certain age group? How to sell insurance to young people?   Answer Question