Bain & Company

Getting the Interview

126 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Brussels (Belgium)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2014.

Interview Details First round interview: 2 45-minute interviews back to back with 2 different interviewers. The first 10-15 minutes are spent discussing your CV and the rest of the time is devoted to the case.

My first interviewer provided me with very little information, it was up to me to structure my answer and ask for relevant information. The second interviewer gave a much more structured case and required me to use my business logic to evaluate what were the important aspects and what I thought the problems with the particular case were.

Interview Question – "If I were to ask your relatives about you, what would be the three weaknesses they'd say you have?"

There weren't any particularly difficult questions but the cases really require you to think about every aspect of the business to try to figure out where the problems originate from.
  Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details 1. Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript
2. First round interviews: 2 x case interviews (with small component on experience/motivation)
3. Final round interviews: 3 x case interviews, one is a written case (more slides than you can get through comprehensively, 10 questions to answer, discussion/presentation afterwards).

My final interview was more a discussion/fit-based, and we didn't end up with time for a case. I suspect they had already made their decision to make an offer after the first round.

Interview Question – Stress interview - intentionally awkward interviewer, to see how you would react.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Question – Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details It was a really nice interview with 2 different case studies with 2 different consultant.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected question during my interview.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details The entire process was very smooth and took about 2 weeks (not including waiting for the first interview). My first interview round was with a SAC and a Consultant at their office, and both interviews went well (except that the numbers on one case tripped me up). These interviews were both profit cases and were not especially difficult.

For the final round, I was flown out to Boston to interview with a Partner and Senior Manager. I had to do a market sizing case which also felt like a pressure test, because my interviewer questioned my every assumption. I had a profit case with the Senior Manager which required a rather unexpected recommendation.

The Partner who interviewed me called me the next morning to let me know that I received the offer.

In general, the process was great and you have the opportunity to receive detailed feedback at each round. In fact, I was surprised at the quality of the feedback given that the interviewers are so busy! So if you get the opportunity to interview, definitely request for feedback and it will help you to do well in future case interviews.

Interview Question – Market sizing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as it is a standard contract.

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details Everything was super professional. I had 2 interviews on campus and 3 interviews in-office. All the interviews included 10-15 minutes of behavioral questions and then a short case (20-30 minutes).

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details 2 cases during the 1st round interview. Cases were fair if you did case preps.

Interview Question – I had a market entry case. I did a cost-benefit analysis, calculated the approx. break-even period, but i didn't realize that there was a capacity issue until the very end. thought that was tricky   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied through my university, and completed a first round interview on campus. The interview was two separate case interviews with two separate interviewers. The cases were nothing too crazy. Minimal behavioral interview questions.

Interview Question – The case questions were largely graph and figure driven. Had to know to ask the right questions, but also how to be able to properly analyze the given data.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I interviewed at Bain & Company in December 2013.

Interview Details Online (CV, cover letter) --online numerical reasoning test -- 1st round -- 2nd round

Interview Question – Online test, conventional numerical reasoning test. Graphs, figures, tables, and calculation. No surprises.

1st round, with two associate consultants

one market sizing with competency questions. Quick calculation
One case, profitability, framework applied. Very straightforward .
They would call you to give you feedback if you are selected.

2nd round, with managers and partners

one written case, 35 minutes self preparation, you need to read 2 pages of instruction, 18pages of information (graph, newspaper articles), afterwards, fill in 4 slides (1 general, 1 action, 1 table for calculation and make one graph, and finally make recommendations). And then 35 minutes with interviewer, go through the case. If I had to do it again, I would work on the calculations first and finish the table and figures.

Two business cases with competency questions. Easy case, no tricky questions.

Generally, don't expect the case to be like as structured as you would see in case books. You don't have to write down any structure, or maybe don't need to write down anything. It is really more about having a business solving conversation. About calculation, be flexible.

The office was very nice and cosy, good central location, a lot of Coffee shops to have lunch. HR were nice. Final round interviewees were invited to a dinner in a pretty good restaurant. Well, I have to say they really make effort during the whole selection process.
  Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Started with an online maths/logical reasoning test. First round was straightfoward - market sizing and a business case. Second round was much tougher - two challenging business cases and the written/presentation case. In the written/presentation case, you are provided with a wad of documents and ~30 min to complete some analysis and slides. All interviewers and recruiting people were extremely friendly - you got the feeling that they really wanted you to be successful.

Interview Question – What other companies have you applied for, what offers do you already have? (asked by all three interviewers in the final round)   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bain & Company

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company Associate Consultant interview questions and advice. All 126 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees and interview candidates.