Bain & Company

Average Difficulty
133 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details Campus Hiring Process, 3-4 rounds of interviews, no separate HR round, the interviews were pretty simple and basic, so no need to panic about the difficulty level, only need to be answer first, structured in your approach.

Interview Question – None I would say.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2014.

Interview Details The entire interview process was very quick. All rounds are held in one day. Very nice atmosphere, and friendly people. The first round can be very intense, you will have 4 interviews in 3.5/4 hours. The cases were just as you would expect them to be (expect estimation and market sizing questions).

Interview Question – What are you most proud of that is not on your resume.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details After three weeks e-mail with invitation. Overall great company with fun people.
Questions are very different to McKinsey, drive and pro-activeness very important. Many estimation cases, which is different to other consultancies.

Interview Question – How much would you pay for an are of forest?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online (CV and cover letter) in mid December. First round in mid January, consisting of 2 x 30 minute interviews, one with a senior associate consultant and the other with a consultant. Second round 2/3 days after the first round, one interview with a principal lasting 30 minutes.

First round:
Tell me about yourself.
Why Bain?
Estimate the Indian tyre market size.
Your client wants to enter Indian market, which segment should it target?

Second round:
We are a company who wants to decide on whether to specialise in Android or iPhone apps. How would you choose?
Why this office?
Why did you apply to investment banking (on my CV)?

Interview Question – Your friend wants to start a gym. Help him establish how many customers he needs to attract to break even.   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details There were multiple rounds of interviews. 2 shorter interviews in one block for the first round (~30 minutes) with 3 interviews in the second round (~45 minutes). The first round emphasizes quantitative skills and ability to do the case a bit more while the second round places a bit more emphasis on candidate fit.

Interview Question – Just run of the mill business cases. Nothing especially difficult or tricky.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details The interview process was standard for the consulting industry. First round was an on-campus interview consisting of two cases that were fairly easy. The final round was an office visit with three cases (more difficult) and a fit interview. Overall all the people in the company were very nice and helpful in terms of providing feedback.

Interview Question – The cases in the final round were more difficult and I'm sure are different year to year.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2010.

Interview Details Two back-to-back on campus interviews in the career center. Heavy case interviews emphasizing quantitative and logic. Two Bain Manager/CTL level people came to do the interviews. They selected 10 applicants to interview out of about 100 applications. They usually hire 1 or 2 people from the ones they interview.

Interview Question – What is the exact angle formed by the hands on a clock when the time reads 9:30?   View Answers (5)

Associate Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details 1. Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript
2. First round interviews: 2 x case interviews (with small component on experience/motivation)
3. Final round interviews: 3 x case interviews, one is a written case (more slides than you can get through comprehensively, 10 questions to answer, discussion/presentation afterwards).

My final interview was more a discussion/fit-based, and we didn't end up with time for a case. I suspect they had already made their decision to make an offer after the first round.

Interview Question – Stress interview - intentionally awkward interviewer, to see how you would react.   Answer Question

Brussels (Belgium)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2014.

Interview Details First round interview: 2 45-minute interviews back to back with 2 different interviewers. The first 10-15 minutes are spent discussing your CV and the rest of the time is devoted to the case.

My first interviewer provided me with very little information, it was up to me to structure my answer and ask for relevant information. The second interviewer gave a much more structured case and required me to use my business logic to evaluate what were the important aspects and what I thought the problems with the particular case were.

Interview Question – "If I were to ask your relatives about you, what would be the three weaknesses they'd say you have?"

There weren't any particularly difficult questions but the cases really require you to think about every aspect of the business to try to figure out where the problems originate from.
  Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Question – Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!