Barnes & Noble

Updated 20 Jan 2015
Updated 20 Jan 2015

2.3

Bookseller Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interviews are easy as long as you are polite and concise. Must be able to hit the ground running because there will be very little training/cross training. Management is strict on membership sales depending on which store you are hired at.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?

Pick a book before going in and be enthusiastic about reading regardless of your preference.

Answer Question

Book Seller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The first interview that I went through was pretty casual. Very general questions and conversation including things like "what's your favorite book?"
    The second interview with the main store manager was a little more formal and in-depth.

Head Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online. Received a call back 2-3 weeks later. Went in for an interview a few days later. Interviewed with General manager and assistant manager. A lot of questions regarding where I planned to be in the next few years and whether or not I would be an asset to the company. Received a call the next day saying I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. Usual interview routine.   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I was initially hired as a Seasonal Hire, but was retained as a part time employee. The interview was, surprisingly, stereotypically straightforward. The questions included:

1. Why do you want to work at a bookstore?
    2. What do you imagine working at a Bookstore to be like? ( The correct answer is not just recommending books, but stocking books, organizing displays, sales, etc.)
    3. How would you handle a disagreement with a coworker or a manager?

Interview Questions
    • Customers often come up wanting help finding a book they do not know the title of and that they heard about somewhere. How would you help them?   View Answer
    There was no real salary negotiation. Salary didn't come up during the interview.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The secretary called me and was very nice and told me to come in that week for an interview. I went and was interviewed by the district manager. He under cut my current salary and that was it.

Merchandise Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

After submitting application online, I was contacted 4 days later about an interview. Interview was scheduled for the following day with an Assistant Store Manager.

Arrived at location and checked in as instructed. Stood around for several minutes before was greeted by the ASM.

Interview was the standard "Tell me about a time..." That you exhibited x competency as a manager in your past. This interview lasted about an hour. She wanted me to stay for a 2nd interview with the Store Manager so I sat waiting in the café area for another 20 minutes. The Store Manager came and asked more questions. "What made you apply for Barnes & Noble?" And the like.

Will possibly be contacted in the next week and a half for a peer interview and district manager interview if they are interested. Will update review after those happen.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you delegated a project to someone   Answer Question

Merchandise Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Three scripted interviews. First with Store Manager, second a peer interview and final with a District Manager. After third interview the hiring decision was made and an offer by the Store Manager was made. No salary negotiation was accepted.

Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was semi-formal and took about 30 minutes. Was asked about my background with retail/school/interests. Got the offer a few days later. Trained for a few days then started on the floor.

Interview Questions
    • None really. The store manager asked about my favorite college coursework and what types of books i was into.   Answer Question
    Was offered a little higher salary than minimum wage due to my age and college degree.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2014.

Applied online, 2 weeks later received phone call to interview for the following day, Interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 different managers on the same day. Asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me a few questions, then asked me to approve for a background check four days later asked for 2 references, Next day received and offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you Sell or membership cards?   View Answer
    Non-negociable.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied for the job online and did not hear back for a few weeks. When I did hear back, it was just an e-mail saying the position had been filled. I do not have retail experience, but I do have work experience and believe I was qualified for the position.