Barnes & Noble

Updated 21 Nov 2014
Updated 21 Nov 2014

2.3

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied for the job online and did not hear back for a few weeks. When I did hear back, it was just an e-mail saying the position had been filled. I do not have retail experience, but I do have work experience and believe I was qualified for the position.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The manager was extremely nice she went off of what was put on my resume and had plenty of follow up question. She allowed time for me to ask questions and give feed back. Was very in depth and honest about the position and was genuine about how everyone was to be treated. She was very serious about work ethic.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any "unexpected" question it was all very straight forward.   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

Saw that they were hiring on a job search app and immediately applied. I applied online, and it took about a week and a half to get a response. They called to set up an interview for a Monday. I was completely prepared since I had some experience from a previous job. At the interview he asked a series of questions, but the hardest was, have you ever had to sell a membership card to a customer, and how would you go about doing it. I swear the interview only lasted 5 minutes, although he was very friendly during the whole process. At the end he told me if I was selected for the position I should get a email confirming a background check. I never got it, but he ended up calling a few days later by phone to tell me I had gotten the position, and that he'd send the link by email. I was very excited. Over all, it was a quick process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you fix a mistake you made while at work?
      How would you get to know your fellow employees & managers?
        Answer Question
    Be prepared for the questions. It's also good to have had some food related experience, the experience can come in handy when answering the questions.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

Applied online and was called the next day for an interview.
     The interview was about 30 minutes and I felt really comfortable. It was a group interview so I was in there with one other girl. It was relatively simple. The interviewer was really chill, and there were two of them...one who wrote the answers

Interview Questions
    • How would you greet a costumer?
      Previous experience?
      What do you do when you make a mistake?
        Answer Question

Cafe Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Very friendly, personable, and interesting interviewer. They asked basic interview questions such as, give a time etc and describe an attribute about your self etc. If you're friendly, well dressed, and you speak well you should be able to get the job. Most employers won't interview you if they haven't already considered hiring you.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was easy in my opinion. They first start off with a phone interview just getting to know you and then invite you for a face to face interview. It was a 1 on 1 interview and asked simple questions. Basically they ask about your work experience and ask what kind of books are you into and why you decided to apply for the position

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. They were typical interview questions   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was very relaxed and I had no reason to be nervous. The questions were standard interview questions (tell me about a time when...) I had one interview with the store manager and it lasted about 20 minutes. Manager was great and made the experience very positive for me. She was generally interested in getting to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you made a mistake at work and what were the consequences.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

There was only one interview for me and it was a group interview. You should be totally chill during this interview. For me it was like I was talking to a bunch a friends. After that you should receive a call from the manager of the store and he/she will talk to you over the phone. It was a fairly simple process and very fun to go through.

Interview Questions
    • In your previous job how did you deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied to pretty much EVERY Barnes and Noble within 50 miles. I called the closest one near me, feeling like I was bugging, I talked to a manager, he said they arent going through apps until next week and will call if they like my app. I recieved a call later that night from a female asking some questions over the phone such as...why do enjoy working in customer service, why did you chose barnes and noble, and then they said they are holding interviews and wanted me to go! I am a huge booklover so I was stoked! Met the lady I was interviewing with, she honestly made the interview so chill and relaxing, we ended up going off topic and talking about random things! She did ask me the standard questions that were on her paper such as if I have ever got into any conflict with a coworker and how did I handle it...have I ever worked during the holidays, what books I read, favorite author. If you are a book lover the answers will come easy to you.

Interview Questions
    • If I have ever had conflict with a coworker and how I handled it?   View Answer
    They didn't even ask, they just said you're hired! I am sure it's minimum wage and read on here there is no negotiating.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

In the summer of 2013, I filled out the online application (there were openings listed for the store I applied at) and I was called a few days later by a merchandise manager. I met with her about a week after I applied and had an interview in the store cafe. The questions I was asked in this interview were mainly about how I would handle certain situations, what experience I had, and there were also a few questions about what books I liked and whether I knew about Nook. A few days later, the same manager left a message on my phone asking me to come back for another interview with somebody else. About a week after my first interview, I met with an assistant store manager in the cafe. Her questions were different from my first interview, and they mainly focused on what my availability was and if I had reliable transportation. A couple days later, the store manager called to tell me that they were changing the policy on background checks for juveniles (I was 17 at the time) and that I would probably get a call in a few days from one of the managers who had interviewed me. During this time, both managers that I interviewed with called my references. The next Sunday, the second manager called and asked me if I could start on Wednesday. I was hired!

About a year later, I was moving across the country to go to college, and I filled out a transfer application (also online, but transfer applications must be done on store computers). About a week later, I received a phone call from an assistant manager asking if I was still interested. When I said yes, he said that I would be hired as long as my current manager approved. A few days later, the store manager left a message on my phone saying that she had spoken to my old manager, and that I was approved for the transfer.

The only problem with transfers is that pay is mainly based on location and is often set by corporate. When I transferred, I took a pay cut, but the new manager put in a good word for me and the pay cut wasn't as much. She also gave me a raise after my first performance interview at the new store.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with our line of Nook products, and would you be comfortable talking to customers about their benefits?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a situation when a customer presented an issue and you worked with them to solve it.   View Answer
    • If somebody asked you about a book you had never heard of, what would you do? Assume you only have a minute, or they will get impatient.   View Answer
    They start their pay based on experience, and I was offered minimum wage since this was my first job. About six months later, minimum wage was raised in my state, but I received a little more than that. I had a performance review a little after I had worked there for one year and I received another raise. If you do your job well, there is definitely the possibility to get a raise. However, you usually cannot negotiate.