Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated 15 Jan 2015
Updated 15 Jan 2015

2.2

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

First interview was with the HR manager for the district. Second interview was with the District manager. Conversations center on your ability to think on your feet, and guest service. They are a very decentralized company, managers are expected to make decisions on there own using there experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you know about the company? Important to do your research, conveys your passion, and commitment.   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

So I was really excited to go on this interview with Bed Bath & Beyond. I completely dedicated a work day of 8 hours of 7 people interviewing me. After I completed the interviews, HR said they will let me know within a week. He ensured me that he will contact me regardless of the outcome and provide me feedback. After 2 weeks I had sent a follow up email, no answer. 3 more days I had called and left a message. (while I can see the actual HR recruiter active on linked in- I know he is clearly near a computer.)

Overall- I felt like they were extremely disrespectful and unprofessional. 1 star

Front End Lead Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I had to literally do 3 interviews for an eight dollar per hour starting position for the job. I should have known the position's work would far exceed what was actually compensated for based on the number of interviews I went through. It's ok as starting job but moving up in the company is sheer luck.

Interview Questions
    • My most unexpected question was what would I say to the customer who wanted to buy a horse.   View Answer
    $8.00 is the most they will start out at. I requested $7.75 but my reference was so good that they started me out at 8 no questions asked.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union, NJ (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Very long and drawn out. Took about two months from first phone call to hear back. Then it took another two months to get an in person interview. But once they decided I was given one weeks notice of the date Both in person interviews were all day and nobody thought to offer lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Was I willing to work a regular eight hour day?   View Answer

Get everything up front and in writing. everything was great until the offer. At that point they really nickled and dimed me. No bonus structure but some stock that nobody could really explain. Relocation package was not good. Moving would have cost me money. From talking to potential peers I got the impression that they micromanage everything from work hours to lunch items.

Director Interview

It was nothing but constant rescheduling at the last minute after I had scheduled my day to accomodate them on many occasions. This went on for 4 or 5 times and then they simply weren't available when I arrived for the interview. If this is how they treat you during the interview process, it has to be a nightmare working for them. I have a nice income and whatever they offer in the stock options that no one could seem to explain seemed like a way to try and hire expensive talent for less than fair market value. Who in their right mind would relocate for this kind of nonsense. They were extremely unprofessional and disrespectful. I have a leadership role and to expect me to constantly turn my schedule upset down to accomodate someone who is "busy" or in a meeting that is running late is ridiculous. I'm in meetings too and I'm busy, but I'm a professional and I know how to manage my time. I feel for the people that work at their HQ, I have no doubt it is a dysfunctional environment.

Interview Questions
    • What questions? All they did was schedule and reschedule interviews and then when they finally confirmed the time, they stood me up.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Short and simple nothing too complicated general background, showed up business casual interviews and hired on the spot with a few others, no reference or background check, a week or so training on procedures and products and another week floor training

Intern Interview

Got referred by a neighbor. The process took a while because they were figuring out how many interns they could hire.I came in and interviewed with 3 different departments, about 20 minutes each. In between the hiring manager would come in and check on me.

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview questions- strengths, weaknesses, why you   Answer Question
    no negotiations

Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Filled out application. Received a call back in a day or two for interview. Met with operations manager and I was clearly over dressed. Appointment for 2nd interview for next day. Met with store manager and was offered position.

There was really no negotiation

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Very basic, applied online received an email from the HR manager. Then spent a few days tracking her down. I had a phone interview then met with the DM then the RM. Was told they would make a decision the same day. I was offered the job 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    I told them the salary I wanted and they agreed.

Soft Side Associate Interview

I turned in an application and got a call back about two weeks later. The interview was very laid back and to the point. I was asked a variety of questions by the first manager. A second manager came in and asked me to sell a sharpie marker to him. I was offered a job before I left the interview.