BevMo

Updated 23 Jan 2015
Updated 23 Jan 2015

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BevMo in January 2015.

I applied and the process took about 2 weeks.
    Received a call and was asked to schedule an interview whenever it was convenient for me. When I came in to the store. The manager just had finished another interview prior to me. He introduced himself and told me to hang back. The interview process was quite simple. He seemed very pleased with my prior experience in retail. He asked me 2-3 simple questions regarding customer service/ Retail scenarios. He asked me if I could meet the requirements of the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when had to present yourself to someone of great importance at work. Who was it and what did you do?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at BevMo in December 2014.

They ask you to pick a product to sell during interview. The interview was conducted in the back of the store with the manager and 4 other job seekers. Very casual enviornment. you are ask about yourself. What is a good and bad customer experience? Then you are asked to talk about the product you pick out.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BevMo in October 2014.

I applied online and went in a few days later to meet the store manager. I introduced myself and gave him my resume; he scheduled me an interview on the spot for the next day. On the interview, we walked outside of the store to a couple of tables across the parking lot. He asked me questions about my previous work experience and availability. The questions weren't too hard, he just appreciated detailed answers. I was asked to meet with the hiring manager immediately after the interview. When I met her, she just explained the store duties and gave me a drug screening paper. I took the drug test, but it was sent to the wrong Bevmo. I had to keep calling back and got things straightened out. It took me 3 weeks to get hired after the process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you delivered excellent customer service?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. He told me I would be paid $9.00 an hour, and if I stayed on past seasonal, it would bump up to $10 an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BevMo in September 2014.

I applied online after I saw a job ad on Craigslist. Heard nothing for a few weeks, then received an email inviting me to a group interview. I think this was a mass email to everyone who had applied recently. There were two appointments for the interviews, a Tuesday and a Thursday the following week, and the store manager said he would reply to confirm the date I picked. I picked Tuesday and emailed back immediately. He didn't reply until several days later, on the morning of the interview.

I showed up about 15 minutes early. The store manager came out and told us to grab a bottle of alcohol, any kind we'd like, because we were to do a sales pitch. The interview started and there were three other candidates. There was just one interviewer, the store manager. He seemed like a really nice, chill guy. The interview turned out to be really fun (for an interview) and laid back, not too intimidating for a group interview. He would ask each question to the group as a whole, so whoever wanted to share first could take the initiative, then everyone else would take turns answering.

The questions were the standard "tell me about yourself", why do you want to work here, share examples of good & bad customer service you've had at other stores, etc. Nothing personal that would be uncomfortable to share in a group setting (e.g. "why did you leave [x] job" or "explain this gap in employment"), so that was tactful of him. Then we did our sales pitches and everyone seemed to do well on that. Then he shared more about BevMo and the job responsibilities, let us ask questions, then told us when he'd let everyone know the hiring decision (end of that week). He said they were looking to fill 5-7 positions. Whole interview took about 45 minutes.

I sent a thank you email two days later, on that Thursday. The stated "decision day" came and went and I never heard anything again. A few weeks later I logged on to the job application site and saw that my application had been marked "closed" at some point, I guess meaning that all the needed positions were filled. I was really surprised as I thought I did everything right! I have a few years of relevant experience and my answers were pretty well prepared, I thought. I answered first sometimes but not all the time, I played off of other people's answers, and the interviewer really seemed to like & engage with some of my answers. I honestly thought I was a stronger interviewee than at least one or two out of the three other interviewees. Maybe 20 people showed up to the second group interview and there were just more stronger candidates out of the total pool. I'll never know, I suppose.

This is really common with chains, but I think it's very rude that they can't take a few minutes to send a form rejection email to everyone who interviewed and didn't make the cut. Especially after I sent the thank you note and everything. Honestly baffled as to what I did wrong, why they thought I wasn't a good candidate. Maybe I shouldn't be so frustrated as it's just a retail job, but I think this is a better gig than most -- it seems fun and learning more about beer & wine would be interesting and a socially useful skill. (As an aside, it seems tricky to communicate "I like & am interested in alcohol" [to show why you're interested in this company specifically] without sounding like an alcoholic, lol!)

Interview Questions
    • Share an example of good/bad customer service you've had at another store recently.   View Answer
    • Pick a bottle of alcohol you like and do a sales pitch to the interviewer.   View Answer
    • Is it sometimes OK to break the rules?   View Answer

Director Interview

Had a pretty good conversation with the recruiter. Was told needed to wait until new vp started ton present candidates. Found it odd that over a period of waiting 2 months for someone to start and recruiter contacting me via email almost weekly that all of a sudden I was sent a rejection email.
    Why would they go through a screening process, ask if relocation assistance was needed, and ask if a bonus was needed before the hiring manager had a chance to start if they didn't know what the person was looking for? Also found it odd to be asked about relocation and bonus as part of a screening.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online – interviewed at BevMo in July 2014.

Applied maybe a month or so before hearing anything back. In fact it was so long I had forgotten I had applied there as this would be just a second part time job. Had two interviews, one with store manager then with assistant manager and immediately after the interview I was sent to do drug test. The interview was pretty easy, the store manager just went through my resume and asked "why did I leave this place and this place" and so on. I already currently work for a local winery and to my surprise my wine knowledge didn't come in to question. Second interview was more in depth about my involvement with the winery, pay, hours, and then to go pee in a cup. Today I just received through email all the information packets I needed to fill out. I wonder how training will go.

Interview Questions
    I wasn't given an option to negotiate as he said "we start all new employees at 9 an hour" but then went on to say something about getting me focused on the wine department or wine specialist or something and he said pay should go up.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BevMo.

For my interview, I had two people interviewing both who were Assistant Managers. Pretty short interview with pretty basic questions. ex. tell me about yourself, past jobs, area of knowledge in alcohol, what would you if ____.

Stocker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BevMo.

One on One a few questions about your background and experience

Me and the store manager both worked at ralphs market so we had alot in common and hit it off right away

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BevMo.

It was pretty slow but easy.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. it was pretty straight forward.   Answer Question
    Yes. It was simple to negotiate. I immediately got 10/hr off the bat which is the higher end of low paying wages.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BevMo.

filled out application, they called back a week later for an interview, I went to interview and meet with store manager and was asked my retail experience and they asked my availability and then it took over two weeks to get hired in the store as this was the longest process but other than that some experience helps and if they like you in the interview you have a good chance of getting hired.

Interview Questions
    • Easy interview with no curve balls, such question as what is your favorite drink   View Answer
    not much negotiation, as they say this is all we can offer and do you accept