BlackBerry

130 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Testing Associate Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackBerry in July 2012.

Interview Details Easy interview, started off with introduction and moved on to behavioral questions and technical questions, standard behavioral questions and the technical questions were based mostly on software QA aspects.

Interview Question – what is regression testing?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation for interns

Software Test Associate Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

Interview Details I applied through my campus recruitment portal (University of Waterloo), and heard back from them on time during the interviews period as one would expect.

The interview was at their head office here in Waterloo, and lasted around an hour. I arrived a bit late as I got delayed while leaving after a class, and they were completely understanding of it. The people seemed friendly in general, and my interviewers started off by talking about the job itself.

I was then asked a few general questions like 'Tell me about yourself...', 'What are your strengths and weaknesses?', 'Why do you want to do software testing?' and such. They then proceeded to the more technical questions related to the job itself such as testing methodologies, what would make a good bug report, and software testing scenarios.

Overall, it was a rather challenging interview as they did push for detailed answers and you had to think well on the spot for some of the scenarios. The position also involved working overtime for on-call duty to meet release schedules due to the nature of the team the job was for.

Their reply on the outcome of the interview came a few days later than expected, and resulted in some anxiety and confusion as they had promised to get back within a few weeks by the expected results time for our coop process here in UW.

Interview Questions

• If one of the keys on the numpad didn't work (pressed but no input displayed) while dialing a call on your phone, how would you find what the problem could be?   View Answer
  • How would you test a microwave?   View Answer
  • If you had to release something by the evening, but only managed to complete a third of the tests by noon, how would you approach the situation?   View Answer

Software Test Associate Interview

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2014.

Interview Details Hiring process was relatively quick. Being from BC they quickly set up a phone conference interview. The interview was mostly technical questions such as how you would test things, but we also touched on past test experiences, some algorithms and optimization, and finally details about the position itself. Overall, the interview went smoothly and I found it was extremely fair for the position.

Interview Question – What do you hate most about QA and Software Testing... and how would you fix it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2010.

Interview Details Phone screening, phone interview for me

Negotiation Details – No negotiable.

Software Development Co-op Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

Interview Details Overall this was a great experience - Interviewed on a conference call with 3 people, all part of an individual team, all of which I would end up working with later on. Interview was based heavily on past experiences, some minor technical questions, and a logic question. Overall very relaxed environment, felt really good.

Interview Question – You have a deck of 52 cards, and you have no way of telling which are face down and which are face up. You know 10 of them are face up. Find a way to return 2 stacks of cards with an equal number of face up cards.   Answer Question

Safety Compliance Interview

Interviewed at BlackBerry

Interview Details looking for intern jobs, rim gave me an interview about power and charging, just one phone interview and most of them are easy engineering basic questions and lab questions

Interview Question – How to measure voltage when there is no current?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2012.

Interview Details Interview process started with an HR phone screen. After this 3 in person interviews took place. Interviews were fairly technical, but not of very high difficulty. They were of medium dificulty.

Interview Question – Not applicable   Answer Question

Blackberry Engineer Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details It was back in 2005 and not sure if it is relevant any more. Got an email from HR person in RIM, he seemed to find my resume on Workopolis. After sending him my resume we arrange a phone pre-screening interview for about a half hour. After several days I had another phone interview with 3-4 tech people. Questions were easy - DNS, SMTP, HTTP, NTP, Linux and Solaris internals, FW, troubleshooting, etc. After passing that I got face2face interview in Waterloo office. It was semi formal interview with 4 people. Same type of questions, no problems answering them and was waiting when they really start asking HARD TECH questions (which i always enjoy on interviews). It turned out they were looking for general knowledge in *wide* area of skills as they planned to train the new hires for huge stack of *in-house* messaging applications which were *really* complex.

Interview Question – all questions were easy. The range of questions was pretty wide - from load balancing and SQL queries to low level Linux stuff, troubleshooting network issues and tuning the kernel and TCP stack.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in September 2010.

Interview Details Had 2 interviews - one with the manager and team leads. This was a mix of behavioral and some technical conceptual questions on web services, beans, threading etc. The second interview was all technical with team leads and developers from the team. I was giving some problems or scenarios that I needed to resolve or describe how I would handle them. Was not too difficult. Once I got selected, the final approval from higher management took a month or so to clear.

Security Analyst Interview

Security Analyst
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in May 2010.

Interview Details HR & 2-3 rounds of technical interviews, depending on the team you are joining. Also, they will look at soft skills and attitude

Interview Question – What are your strengths & weakness.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BlackBerry

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!

BlackBerry Videos

BlackBerry – Why Work for Us?

Be Bold. Be Passionate. Be Creative Be Bold is our philosophy. At BlackBerry, you can push the boundaries and you can rewrite the rules. Innovation is rewarded and you’ll know that the people you work with all share… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackBerry interview questions and advice in Toronto, ON. All 130 interview reviews posted anonymously by BlackBerry employees and interview candidates.