BlackBerry Interview Questions & Reviews in Toronto, ON Canada

135 interviews

135 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineering Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Applied online through the BlackBerry site, was contacted less than a month later by email for a 30 minute phone interview. They sent an offer package a month or so later with about 10 documents that had to be signed and returned via the package that they sent. Overall it was a very smooth process.

Interview Questions
    • What scripting/UNIX projects have you worked on (Difficult for me since I hadn't done any)   View Answer
    They pay for extra luggage bag, airfare (round trip), transport from/to airport and 2 nights in a hotel.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at BlackBerry in July 2014.

It was a phone interview and the HR person didn't attend it for a personal reason. They asked a lot about my past personal project. (Things like how is this part working, etc) They also made a very comfortable interview atmosphere. I prepared quite a bit on this interview, but ended up not saying much what I was going to say.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 months - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2010.

Very long interview process, two separate full days speaking to 10+ people each day, including managers, directors, and VPs
    The individuals themselves were all very caring of the length of time for the interview
    All interviewers had a veto on hires. Getting through the interview process is something to be very happy with.
    Each of the interviewers were very helpful in describing what they considered the most important aspects of this role.
    Offer negotiations with HR were professional and helpful

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle pressure, and demonstrate a situation in which you were required to.   View Answer
    Was able to negotiate, but the offer was higher than expected so there was very little need.

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at BlackBerry.

1. Received email from recruiter to schedule an interview: she seemed very enthusiastic and organized
    2. Phone interview with manager with tech questions (software based, the usual ones)
    3. Phone interview with other manager about problem solving in general
    4. Webcam interview (puke!!) with team members, mostly same questions as # 2
    5. Assignment given: more technical questions, some problem solving questions
    6. In person with manager and director to review assignment and discuss hobbies
    7. Phone interview with VP to discuss career goals and hobbies
    8. Receive offer, accept offer, do background check, submit paperwork, begin working.

Total span was about 2 months from 1 to 8.

Interview Questions
    • How can you store extra information in a linked list without adding a new data member given that the memory is X byte aligned?   View Answer
    Not able to negotiate. My advice is not to be desperate and if you aren't happy, don't take it! Opt out of the bonus for an increase in base salary and ask for more OFFICIAL vacation.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2010.

Phone screen followed by 2 separate in person interviews with senior team members and team members. Final interview with director with two more senior members of the team.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions about customer relationships, conflict, time management.   Answer Question

Software Testing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackBerry in July 2012.

Easy interview, started off with introduction and moved on to behavioral questions and technical questions, standard behavioral questions and the technical questions were based mostly on software QA aspects.

no negotiation for interns

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

I applied through my campus recruitment portal (University of Waterloo), and heard back from them on time during the interviews period as one would expect.

The interview was at their head office here in Waterloo, and lasted around an hour. I arrived a bit late as I got delayed while leaving after a class, and they were completely understanding of it. The people seemed friendly in general, and my interviewers started off by talking about the job itself.

I was then asked a few general questions like 'Tell me about yourself...', 'What are your strengths and weaknesses?', 'Why do you want to do software testing?' and such. They then proceeded to the more technical questions related to the job itself such as testing methodologies, what would make a good bug report, and software testing scenarios.

Overall, it was a rather challenging interview as they did push for detailed answers and you had to think well on the spot for some of the scenarios. The position also involved working overtime for on-call duty to meet release schedules due to the nature of the team the job was for.

Their reply on the outcome of the interview came a few days later than expected, and resulted in some anxiety and confusion as they had promised to get back within a few weeks by the expected results time for our coop process here in UW.

Interview Questions
    • If one of the keys on the numpad didn't work (pressed but no input displayed) while dialing a call on your phone, how would you find what the problem could be?   View Answer
    • How would you test a microwave?   View Answer
    • If you had to release something by the evening, but only managed to complete a third of the tests by noon, how would you approach the situation?   View Answer

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2014.

Hiring process was relatively quick. Being from BC they quickly set up a phone conference interview. The interview was mostly technical questions such as how you would test things, but we also touched on past test experiences, some algorithms and optimization, and finally details about the position itself. Overall, the interview went smoothly and I found it was extremely fair for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What do you hate most about QA and Software Testing... and how would you fix it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2010.

Phone screening, phone interview for me

No negotiable.

Software Development Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

Overall this was a great experience - Interviewed on a conference call with 3 people, all part of an individual team, all of which I would end up working with later on. Interview was based heavily on past experiences, some minor technical questions, and a logic question. Overall very relaxed environment, felt really good.

Interview Questions
    • You have a deck of 52 cards, and you have no way of telling which are face down and which are face up. You know 10 of them are face up. Find a way to return 2 stacks of cards with an equal number of face up cards.   Answer Question

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!