BlackBerry Interview Questions in Toronto, ON

Updated 23 Oct 2014

138 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineering Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Applied online through the BlackBerry site, was contacted less than a month later by email for a 30 minute phone interview. They sent an offer package a month or so later with about 10 documents that had to be signed and returned via the package that they sent. Overall it was a very smooth process.

Interview Questions
    • What scripting/UNIX projects have you worked on (Difficult for me since I hadn't done any)   View Answer
    They pay for extra luggage bag, airfare (round trip), transport from/to airport and 2 nights in a hotel.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in August 2014.

Initially got contacted by HR for an one-hour interview, which was scheduled as an in-person interview as I live not far from the work place. The hiring manager met me and was interested in my one-year co-op experience at the company. I was evaluated on skills and experience desired for the position, and got the opportunity to learn more about the team. A second onsite interview was scheduled in about two weeks when I met other team members and was assessed on a few behavioral questions by HR. There are also more technical coding questions asked for evaluating the knowledge base and potential as a software developer. Both interviews went smooth and the hiring committee is nice and friendly.

After then it is reference check which was fairly quick that took one week, and background check and waiting period. I was called by HR about an offer around three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers know about my previous co-op performance and there are not too difficult technical questions. A couple of behavioral questions are asked, e.g., have you had experience in resolving conflict, what makes you get up everyday for work, etc. They are equally interested in evaluating interviewee's soft skills for a good fit to the team.   Answer Question
    As I am a new grad, there is not much negotiation. The hiring committee asked for my previous co-op salary and expected salary range, made a good offer that matched my experience and I accepted.

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry.

1. Received email from recruiter to schedule an interview: she seemed very enthusiastic and organized
    2. Phone interview with manager with tech questions (software based, the usual ones)
    3. Phone interview with other manager about problem solving in general
    4. Webcam interview (puke!!) with team members, mostly same questions as # 2
    5. Assignment given: more technical questions, some problem solving questions
    6. In person with manager and director to review assignment and discuss hobbies
    7. Phone interview with VP to discuss career goals and hobbies
    8. Receive offer, accept offer, do background check, submit paperwork, begin working.

Total span was about 2 months from 1 to 8.

Interview Questions
    • How can you store extra information in a linked list without adding a new data member given that the memory is X byte aligned?   View Answer
    Not able to negotiate. My advice is not to be desperate and if you aren't happy, don't take it! Opt out of the bonus for an increase in base salary and ask for more OFFICIAL vacation.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in July 2014.

It was a phone interview and the HR person didn't attend it for a personal reason. They asked a lot about my past personal project. (Things like how is this part working, etc) They also made a very comfortable interview atmosphere. I prepared quite a bit on this interview, but ended up not saying much what I was going to say.

Safety Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

looking for intern jobs, rim gave me an interview about power and charging, just one phone interview and most of them are easy engineering basic questions and lab questions

Blackberry Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry.

It was back in 2005 and not sure if it is relevant any more. Got an email from HR person in RIM, he seemed to find my resume on Workopolis. After sending him my resume we arrange a phone pre-screening interview for about a half hour. After several days I had another phone interview with 3-4 tech people. Questions were easy - DNS, SMTP, HTTP, NTP, Linux and Solaris internals, FW, troubleshooting, etc. After passing that I got face2face interview in Waterloo office. It was semi formal interview with 4 people. Same type of questions, no problems answering them and was waiting when they really start asking HARD TECH questions (which i always enjoy on interviews). It turned out they were looking for general knowledge in *wide* area of skills as they planned to train the new hires for huge stack of *in-house* messaging applications which were *really* complex.

Interview Questions
    • all questions were easy. The range of questions was pretty wide - from load balancing and SQL queries to low level Linux stuff, troubleshooting network issues and tuning the kernel and TCP stack.   Answer Question

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

I applied through my campus recruitment portal (University of Waterloo), and heard back from them on time during the interviews period as one would expect.

The interview was at their head office here in Waterloo, and lasted around an hour. I arrived a bit late as I got delayed while leaving after a class, and they were completely understanding of it. The people seemed friendly in general, and my interviewers started off by talking about the job itself.

I was then asked a few general questions like 'Tell me about yourself...', 'What are your strengths and weaknesses?', 'Why do you want to do software testing?' and such. They then proceeded to the more technical questions related to the job itself such as testing methodologies, what would make a good bug report, and software testing scenarios.

Overall, it was a rather challenging interview as they did push for detailed answers and you had to think well on the spot for some of the scenarios. The position also involved working overtime for on-call duty to meet release schedules due to the nature of the team the job was for.

Their reply on the outcome of the interview came a few days later than expected, and resulted in some anxiety and confusion as they had promised to get back within a few weeks by the expected results time for our coop process here in UW.

Interview Questions
    • If one of the keys on the numpad didn't work (pressed but no input displayed) while dialing a call on your phone, how would you find what the problem could be?   View Answer
    • How would you test a microwave?   View Answer
    • If you had to release something by the evening, but only managed to complete a third of the tests by noon, how would you approach the situation?   View Answer

Software Development Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

Overall this was a great experience - Interviewed on a conference call with 3 people, all part of an individual team, all of which I would end up working with later on. Interview was based heavily on past experiences, some minor technical questions, and a logic question. Overall very relaxed environment, felt really good.

Interview Questions
    • You have a deck of 52 cards, and you have no way of telling which are face down and which are face up. You know 10 of them are face up. Find a way to return 2 stacks of cards with an equal number of face up cards.   Answer Question

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2014.

Hiring process was relatively quick. Being from BC they quickly set up a phone conference interview. The interview was mostly technical questions such as how you would test things, but we also touched on past test experiences, some algorithms and optimization, and finally details about the position itself. Overall, the interview went smoothly and I found it was extremely fair for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What do you hate most about QA and Software Testing... and how would you fix it.   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Received an initial email that confirmed I was selected for interview by one of the hiring managers, then via email promptly scheduled for an interview over the phone, of which lasted an hour talking mostly precious experiences. One week after the interview I was given an email response congratulating me on landing the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest problem you had and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question