Blockbuster

Getting the Interview

113 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Yuba City, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in December 2010.

Interview Details I applied online. Then received a call for an interview. I then Interview with District Manager. After they decided I then received a Phone interview with Regional Manger. Then they did a Background check. This is pretty much what they did for all jobs that they were hiring for. Thanks

Interview Question – What was your worst customer service experience?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NO

Sales Associate - Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details Smooth interview that lasted all of 20 minutes.

Interview Question – How do you feel about R-rated movies   View Answer

Area Training Manager Interview

Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Blockbuster in February 2010.

Interview Details Little to no interview structure for any position. Just a list of "do not ask" questions, and then go off of your "gut" feelings.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Long Beach, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Blockbuster in July 2010.

Interview Details Expect to be interviewed by managers that do NOT run your store, and expect to be interviewed by three of them at once. They were very nice and asked questions about my hobbies and skills rather than experience, they look for somebody that would be a good fit for the store and will get along well with other employees.

Interview Question – If you had a weakness, what would it be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Simple, they offer you a pay, if you say no, they bump it by 50 cents, if you say no once more, you walk out the door.

Manager Interview

Manager
Phila, PA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in May 2010.

Interview Details Had a phone screen, followed quickly by a face to face interview; hired within a week, and started the following week.

Interview Question – Don't recall any specifics.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details Was initially recruited by professional contact, then had 3 tests plus 7 additional interview, up to and including the CIO. Then background and credit check prior to offer.

Interview Question – "if a project fails, who is the one person responsible"   View Answer

Store Manager
Englewood, CO (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in January 2012.

Interview Details Very customer focused job, also need to be detailed about your inventory management, very difficult to manage your inventory on their antiquated systems, you need to be able to manage your inventory on pen and paper more than anything. They asked basic questions about customer service mostly. Other questions were about your hiring experience, and employee corrective action procedures.

Interview Question – Explain a situation where you failed to meet a customers expectation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered a reasonable salary based on the job requirements. I didn't negotiate much, but if they lowball you, and you have experience, push for 5-10% more.

Na Interview

Houston, TX (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in June 2010.

Interview Details Submitted application and was asked to come in for an interview.

Interview Question – Why is the sky blue.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Santa Clarita, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Blockbuster in July 2010.

Interview Details Hiring was simple. Apply online for a specific job or simply submit your application for multiple locations. A store manager will contact you and ask you to come in at a specific time. The store manager will interview you and often give you an answer as to whether you are hired then and there.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you've gone out of your way to assist a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little negotiation possible, maybe a pay rate of .50 higher then the norm.

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details Once you apply, your name is put into an electronic database where your answers from the personality profile score you as red, yellow or green. Usually, only green candidates are selected. In Blockbuster, it's now what you know... it's who you know. If someone in the running knows someone in the company, they have a leg up on you, despite your background. There is a first interview with the store manager and if for a management position, a 2nd interview with a District Manager.

Interview Question – Questions vary from manager to manager. The best question to reply to though is, "Do you have any questions for me?" - This is a chance to really show the manager your true interest in the company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – BB made an offer. I went to my current boss and he matched the offer. I went to BB and they raised the offer by 5K for management. I took the job at BB.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Blockbuster

Worked for Blockbuster? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blockbuster interview questions and advice. All 113 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Blockbuster employees and interview candidates.