Bloomberg L.P.

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analytics Desk Interview

Analytics Desk
Mumbai

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2011.

Interview Details You need to apply online for any job at Bloomberg. You get a better chance at getting called for an interview in there is an internal employee referral. There are usually three rounds of interviews. In the first round, you will be asked more Market related questions. The second and third round are more about getting to know you and your aptitude to sell. Eg- Sell a pencil to me

Interview Question – The questions are usually about the markets, so it could be unpredictable or difficult at times. They love the Fixed Income markets so expect more questions on that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, Bloomberg has fixed bands and rarely negotiates. However, as it offers more than the industry standards, you would be more than happy with the offer.

Pricing Contributions Interview

Pricing Contributions

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details Applied online and received a call for telephone interview. It lasted about 40 mins and questions ranged from my current job, why I wish to leave, problems faced at the job, how I would add value to the position, what does Bloomberg do, about financial markets and where would I expect to see myself 2 years down the line. The interviewer was pretty friendly and told me that they would get back to me if I had been shortlisted. Waiting to know.

Interview Question – Where does Bloomberg source its information from?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Mumbai

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Interview Details Call from HR in Singapore. Arranged a phone interview for a week later. Heard back a week later for a video conf interview for the following week. Heard back a week later saying application wasn't successful.

Interview Question – General interview questions . Why Bloomberg? Why this role.   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Intern Interview

Sales and Analytics Intern
Mumbai

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details Got a call from Singapore for the first HR Round, consisted of brief behavioral questions.

Why Bloomberg? Strengths/weaknesses etc

Second round was from a Manager, was technical based on your CV. Was asked to pitch a stock, how much i know of the Bloomberg Terminal, a bit quantitative.

Interview Question – Five Buy Suggestion listed at the BSE.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Financial Software Developer
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details From the online application (bloomberg website) to the phone interview took around 4 weeks (a first interview was scheduled within 2 weeks but the interviewer didn't call so we rescheduled). The phone interview was quite straightforward and I was asked the following questions
1- Kind of a strange question. Generate all 3-digit combinations of 1-9 but not repeats in the sense that if you have 123, then 231, 321, etc. are not allowed. [nested for loops]
2- Reverse a given sentence (no use of library methods, arbitrary spaces between words). Make it faster. [start at the end and find and print words one-by-one].
3- You are given a 3L and a 5L container and unlimited supply of water. How to make 1L?[I found a longer solution but the short on is pour 3L into 5 twice.]
4- A program/algorithm which given mL and nL buckets figures out how (if possible) make kL. [we discussed the solution and the interviewer was nice and gave me a hint. Its a DP problem].

The next day, I received and invitation for on-site interview. The travel schedule part was straightforward and convenient.
I was invited to the NY office. There was a group of around 30 people like me. They hold you for a few minuts to issue a security badge. Then there is a tour about all the 31 or so aquariums and fishes at bloomberg. Eventually, there is breakfast and then the interviews come find you. There is 4 rounds of interview. Rounds 1-2 are technical, 3 is management, and 4 is HR.
Some questions I remember:
1- Find shortest path on a chessboard from low left corner to top right. You can move right and top only and some cells are inaccessible (DFS).
2- You have sorted arrays A and B with sizes m and n. Assume at the end of array "A" you have "n" empty slots. How to merge with minimum number of operations (start at the end instead of beginning). Prove it works (induction).
3- Some runners running in a field with some "k" sensors. We get events of runnings locations. How to print the top "m" runners? (array of lists or hash table of lists depending on the location of the sensors. each list is one sensor). Some questions on how to identify the ordering within each list.
4- CPU Cache implementation. How to implement the least frequently used procedure.
5- Scheduling some jobs over "m" servers. Centralized vs distributed implementation? How to implement.

The management interview was interesting and I liked the two managers. HR was fine too. I did not do any negotiations.

Interview Question – The chessboard problem. I first mentioned BFS and use of a Queue but the interviewer kept asking about some data structure with less memory that I could extract due to the simple structure of the graph. I did not understand what he meant. I eventually mentioned DFS and proved it works uses less memory.
The cache problem took a long time. I kind of though I failed it at some point. I had no prior knowledge of the topic since I am not a CS guy. I eventually, used an array to store the access time to different items and O(n) search through it to find the least frequently used one. The interviewer did not raise the complexity. He wanted me to write code on a paper (which is hard, esp. in C).
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not do any negotiations. I accepted the offer for some time in the future since I need to resolve the visa part.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2011.

Interview Details analyst then moving to sales , financial sales and analytics program , 3 interviews , 1 phone then 2 face to face , mainjly questions about background , why BBG ? why this position ? financial updates on the market ? market players ? etc

Interview Question – how would you react if you boss took your idea and didn t givey ou credit for it ?   Answer Question

Global Data Analyst Interview

Global Data Analyst

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details phone interview followed by on site interview. personality and behavioral questions.
walk me through your resume/tell me more about yourself.
what role do you usually undertake in a team?
what motivates you to work?
what do you look for in your career?
how will you contribute to BB?
many questions of the back of another.

Interview Question – Describe a past experience in school that you felt was the most rewarding.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online, via their website. I had applied to jobs with them before, but this was the first time I had gotten a response. I emailed to set up a phone interview. I missed the initial call from the interviewer and left a message. Did not hear back from him until two days later. We set up a time to talk on the following Monday. He was 10 minutes later. Had the phone screening interview, during which the interviewer said I had applied twice (not sure if it had been a software error on my end or if I had applied at separate times). He gave a great description of the position (much more in depth than the job posting) and we talked about what the job entailed, what were my qualifications and why did I feel I fit, etc.

I didn't think it had gone well and did not have contact information for the interviewer. But I was contacted to come in for an in-person interview and off I went. The DC office is nice--they have all sorts of snacks, tea, coffee, water, fruit, soy/almond milk available to eat (their kitchen area is right by the entrance).

The in-person interview was fairly boring. Much of it was cookie cutter questions, such as describe a time when you had a conflict that prevented you from proceeding with your work, how did I feel about long hours/working in an open office (it appears the staff all work in rows of desks. There is no privacy), what drew me to the position, did I have experiences in X, etc. I honestly felt that they were politely interviewing me, but there was not a strong interest in me as a candidate.

It was a nice visit but I suspected I would not get the job. They let me know that there would be one more round of interviews with their boss if I would be selected to advance. Neither interviewer had cards for me, so I had no way of thanking them (I actually forgot their names as soon as I walked out the door).

About a week later, I received a rejection email. I couldn't say I was surprised but I am actually relieved. Although I have worked in the open office plan before, their layout honestly seemed very cramped. And as the job requires long hours, I'm not sure I'd want to be in such a tight space surrounded by people working well beyond the end of the work day.

Interview Question – At the very end they asked me about gaps in my work history. I wonder if the placement of the question was meant to throw me off. I've gotten this question before elsewhere, so it wasn't totally shocking.   Answer Question

Entry-Level Market Data Research & Analysis Interview

Entry-Level Market Data Research & Analysis
New York, NY (US)

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details Submit the application through school online career service, received an email from Bloomberg to schedule a 30-mintue phone interview. Interview questions include: What's Bloomberg, what's our products and services, what's our main competitors and behavior questions such as tell me one time that you show your leadership skills

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult as long as you prepared and get to know What does Bloomberg do, what are the products/services and its competitors.   Answer Question

Financial Product Sales & Analytics Interview

Financial Product Sales & Analytics
London, England (UK)

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details Had one round telephone interview, standard questions such as why bloomberg and why this specific position. How do you sell Bloomberg terminals to Coca-Cola? Gold price. Current crisis in Ukrain's influence on gold price? What is the competitor of Bloomberg?

Interview Question – They expect you to be interested, if not an expert in financial market. They might ask you the price of certain commidity and ask you to compare to the previous price.   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!