Bloomberg L.P.

Updated 16 Nov 2014
1,953 Interview Reviews

3.1

C++ Gateway Developer, Pune, India Interview

I applied on the company website.
    Got a mail stating they wanted a telephonic interview.
    Its a code sharing tool by hackerrank ,”codepair”.
    Where both you and interviewer share screen and you can type the code whatever he asks for
    Interviewer showed up 40 min late and I was about to leave the site, when my phone rang.

Started with basics tell me about your current job, kind of work etc

que 1.
    rate yourself in c++ on a scale of 10.
    I rated 6 and said its complex and hard to master

questions on c++,
    pointer and references , initializer list, static , const ( variables , function etc), copy constructor, assignment operator
    performed averagely in those questions

good question:
    const int p = 10;
    change that value at p by hook or by crook.

gave a wrong answer saying,
    int * test = &p;
    test = 50 ;
    // although this can be done by access memory adresses dirctly using strings and some magic

programming questions-
    you are given an int e.g. 10 represented in binary as 1010 flip the bits (2s complement) to 0101.

first i tried using the not operator dirctly then realized that the total number of bits required is the to be considered here.

coded solution using bool bit[32] and loops , he said he can see what you are doing, and expected a efficient solution.

I was mostly impressed by thier devlopment enviroment they use vi , emacs and linux in development ( which i always wanted to in my job ) none of the MS garbage, that impressed me but sadly i couldn’t impress them.

Interview Questions
    • how does the compiler interpret const keyword and how it can be fooled.   View Answer

Pricing Contributions Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online and received a call for telephone interview. It lasted about 40 mins and questions ranged from my current job, why I wish to leave, problems faced at the job, how I would add value to the position, what does Bloomberg do, about financial markets and where would I expect to see myself 2 years down the line. The interviewer was pretty friendly and told me that they would get back to me if I had been shortlisted. Waiting to know.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Call from HR in Singapore. Arranged a phone interview for a week later. Heard back a week later for a video conf interview for the following week. Heard back a week later saying application wasn't successful.

Interview Questions
    • General interview questions . Why Bloomberg? Why this role.   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Got a call from Singapore for the first HR Round, consisted of brief behavioral questions.

Why Bloomberg? Strengths/weaknesses etc

Second round was from a Manager, was technical based on your CV. Was asked to pitch a stock, how much i know of the Bloomberg Terminal, a bit quantitative.

Analytics Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2011.

You need to apply online for any job at Bloomberg. You get a better chance at getting called for an interview in there is an internal employee referral. There are usually three rounds of interviews. In the first round, you will be asked more Market related questions. The second and third round are more about getting to know you and your aptitude to sell. Eg- Sell a pencil to me

Interview Questions
    • The questions are usually about the markets, so it could be unpredictable or difficult at times. They love the Fixed Income markets so expect more questions on that.   Answer Question
    No, Bloomberg has fixed bands and rarely negotiates. However, as it offers more than the industry standards, you would be more than happy with the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I applied online and got contacted after 2 weeks by a recruiter. We set up a 45 minutes technical interview. The interviewer was very nice and i liked the fact that we chatted a bit in the beginning of the interview (he asked questions from my resume). He also asked me what do i know about Bloomberg and then he described the company a bit himself.
    I think they value the knowledge of C++/javascript a lot, because i told him i don't really know C++ and that i have worked a lot in Java, so he decided to interview me in C. The questions were: reverse a string in-place in C, what is the difference between x++ and ++x, which one is faster, write the functions for these. Then he gave me some C++ code and asked me: if i define absolutely no method for a class, what does the compiler build by default, then if i have a third-party api call in my constructor and this method throws an exception which i don't catch, what happens + a few other questions i don't remember any more. He ended the interview by writing some C code: there was a string which was hard-coded and he asked me what will different values show (like *string, or *(string + 4), string, &string and so on) and what is their type (char / char* / char and so on).
    My impression was that i answered pretty okay to most of his questions, but not all of them and i was sure i won't get an offer. Which, yep, turned out to be true :)

Interview Questions
    • Questions about C++ stuff. They weren't unexpected, but they were difficult for me.   Answer Question

Global Data Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

It is a very tough interview process with 3 people interviewing you each for 30 minutes and they let you know if you got the job after a week of interviewing

Interview Questions
    Very easy and straight forward

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Standard software engineering interview. Data structures, algorithms, problem solving. Try to tell good engaging stories of how you solved a difficult problem using a technical solution - I think this is what they were impressed with the most.
    Offer was very good, overall stable company with a lot of work in the R&D department. Highly recommended.

Interview Questions
    • Write an program to calculate the square root of an integer   Answer Question

Industrial Placement (6-month) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I applied online early November but got an email from HR in Feb. They set up phone interview immediately and told me I passed the first round at the end of the call. first round would be HR phone interview followed by team leader, team coordinator and a team member interview. The last stage is a 1:1 team leader interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Asked a lot about how to you feel about Bloomberg company culture   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Company came to school career fair. Was contacted a few weeks after and was called for an on-campus interview. After the first interview, I was invited for another on-campus interview the next day (they flew from NY). Then I was flown to interview at HQ in NY and quickly thereafter got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Was expected to code and debug on a laptop.   View Answer