Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct 2014
1,884 Interview Reviews

3.1

C++ Gateway Developer, Pune, India Interview

I applied on the company website.
    Got a mail stating they wanted a telephonic interview.
    Its a code sharing tool by hackerrank ,”codepair”.
    Where both you and interviewer share screen and you can type the code whatever he asks for
    Interviewer showed up 40 min late and I was about to leave the site, when my phone rang.

Started with basics tell me about your current job, kind of work etc

que 1.
    rate yourself in c++ on a scale of 10.
    I rated 6 and said its complex and hard to master

questions on c++,
    pointer and references , initializer list, static , const ( variables , function etc), copy constructor, assignment operator
    performed averagely in those questions

good question:
    const int p = 10;
    change that value at p by hook or by crook.

gave a wrong answer saying,
    int * test = &p;
    test = 50 ;
    // although this can be done by access memory adresses dirctly using strings and some magic

programming questions-
    you are given an int e.g. 10 represented in binary as 1010 flip the bits (2s complement) to 0101.

first i tried using the not operator dirctly then realized that the total number of bits required is the to be considered here.

coded solution using bool bit[32] and loops , he said he can see what you are doing, and expected a efficient solution.

I was mostly impressed by thier devlopment enviroment they use vi , emacs and linux in development ( which i always wanted to in my job ) none of the MS garbage, that impressed me but sadly i couldn’t impress them.

Interview Questions
    • how does the compiler interpret const keyword and how it can be fooled.   Answer Question

Pricing Contributions Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online and received a call for telephone interview. It lasted about 40 mins and questions ranged from my current job, why I wish to leave, problems faced at the job, how I would add value to the position, what does Bloomberg do, about financial markets and where would I expect to see myself 2 years down the line. The interviewer was pretty friendly and told me that they would get back to me if I had been shortlisted. Waiting to know.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Call from HR in Singapore. Arranged a phone interview for a week later. Heard back a week later for a video conf interview for the following week. Heard back a week later saying application wasn't successful.

Interview Questions
    • General interview questions . Why Bloomberg? Why this role.   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Got a call from Singapore for the first HR Round, consisted of brief behavioral questions.

Why Bloomberg? Strengths/weaknesses etc

Second round was from a Manager, was technical based on your CV. Was asked to pitch a stock, how much i know of the Bloomberg Terminal, a bit quantitative.

Analytics Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2011.

You need to apply online for any job at Bloomberg. You get a better chance at getting called for an interview in there is an internal employee referral. There are usually three rounds of interviews. In the first round, you will be asked more Market related questions. The second and third round are more about getting to know you and your aptitude to sell. Eg- Sell a pencil to me

Interview Questions
    • The questions are usually about the markets, so it could be unpredictable or difficult at times. They love the Fixed Income markets so expect more questions on that.   Answer Question
    No, Bloomberg has fixed bands and rarely negotiates. However, as it offers more than the industry standards, you would be more than happy with the offer.

Software Developer Interview

If you apply through an on campus recruiter, you will first go through an on campus interview most probably. If not then a phone interview. There are a total of about 3 interview, before you get called on site for the final interviews. You get your decision pretty soon after.

Interview Questions
    • Given two arrays of sorted integers, how would you find the minimum difference in O(n) time.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

On campus Career fair - submitted resume. got a call the next day for on campus interview. There were 4 technical rounds. all on campus. after 5 days got a call with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • mostly all questions were based on data structures and algorithms. expect atleast on brain teaser if you clear the first round of the interviews.
      Questions to me were- sorting an arraylist containing 1's and 0's. how to implement LRU cache. How would you implement an auto-complete feature. encoding a word file to save space- any ideas?
        Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

phone interview first, then on-site, if you have campus interview, just go for it. It is very helpful and useful .Besides, please remember to dress code to the interview. Phone call is about some behavior questions.

Global Data Interview

Phone interview with HR followed by an in-house interview which consisted of two half hour interviews both of which were 2 interviewers and me. They are really friendly at Bloomberg. No drug test at any point.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral questions. I think I was only asked one question related to the markets.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Don't even try because they would probably revoke your offer.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Had four on-campus interviews following a career fair--three technical and one with an HR guy. I was allowed to use any language. There were six questions. Two were about implementing some common function, such as a String class constructor. One required partitioning a list around a given element. One required merging two schedules that might overlap in some parts into one schedule. The last two are described below.

Interview Questions
    • You're given a binary tree--not necessarily complete or proper--and you need to give each node a "friend" pointer that points to the node to its right in the tree. This node is on the same level but is not necessarily a sibling, which makes the problem a little tricky. The friend pointer of the node farthest to the right on each level should be null.   View Answer
    • You're given two arrays of the same size filled with positive integers, and an integer 0 <= N <= 255. You need to determine whether N can be written as the sum of some number from the first array and some number from the second array.   View Answers (2)