Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

Analytics Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mumbai
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2011.

You need to apply online for any job at Bloomberg. You get a better chance at getting called for an interview in there is an internal employee referral. There are usually three rounds of interviews. In the first round, you will be asked more Market related questions. The second and third round are more about getting to know you and your aptitude to sell. Eg- Sell a pencil to me

Interview Questions
    • The questions are usually about the markets, so it could be unpredictable or difficult at times. They love the Fixed Income markets so expect more questions on that.   Answer Question
    No, Bloomberg has fixed bands and rarely negotiates. However, as it offers more than the industry standards, you would be more than happy with the offer.

Pricing Contributions Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online and received a call for telephone interview. It lasted about 40 mins and questions ranged from my current job, why I wish to leave, problems faced at the job, how I would add value to the position, what does Bloomberg do, about financial markets and where would I expect to see myself 2 years down the line. The interviewer was pretty friendly and told me that they would get back to me if I had been shortlisted. Waiting to know.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Mumbai
    Anonymous Employee in Mumbai

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Call from HR in Singapore. Arranged a phone interview for a week later. Heard back a week later for a video conf interview for the following week. Heard back a week later saying application wasn't successful.

Interview Questions
    • General interview questions . Why Bloomberg? Why this role.   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Mumbai
    Anonymous Employee in Mumbai

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Got a call from Singapore for the first HR Round, consisted of brief behavioral questions.

Why Bloomberg? Strengths/weaknesses etc

Second round was from a Manager, was technical based on your CV. Was asked to pitch a stock, how much i know of the Bloomberg Terminal, a bit quantitative.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

From the online application (bloomberg website) to the phone interview took around 4 weeks (a first interview was scheduled within 2 weeks but the interviewer didn't call so we rescheduled). The phone interview was quite straightforward and I was asked the following questions
    1- Kind of a strange question. Generate all 3-digit combinations of 1-9 but not repeats in the sense that if you have 123, then 231, 321, etc. are not allowed. [nested for loops]
    2- Reverse a given sentence (no use of library methods, arbitrary spaces between words). Make it faster. [start at the end and find and print words one-by-one].
    3- You are given a 3L and a 5L container and unlimited supply of water. How to make 1L?[I found a longer solution but the short on is pour 3L into 5 twice.]
    4- A program/algorithm which given mL and nL buckets figures out how (if possible) make kL. [we discussed the solution and the interviewer was nice and gave me a hint. Its a DP problem].

The next day, I received and invitation for on-site interview. The travel schedule part was straightforward and convenient.
    I was invited to the NY office. There was a group of around 30 people like me. They hold you for a few minuts to issue a security badge. Then there is a tour about all the 31 or so aquariums and fishes at bloomberg. Eventually, there is breakfast and then the interviews come find you. There is 4 rounds of interview. Rounds 1-2 are technical, 3 is management, and 4 is HR.
    Some questions I remember:
    1- Find shortest path on a chessboard from low left corner to top right. You can move right and top only and some cells are inaccessible (DFS).
    2- You have sorted arrays A and B with sizes m and n. Assume at the end of array "A" you have "n" empty slots. How to merge with minimum number of operations (start at the end instead of beginning). Prove it works (induction).
    3- Some runners running in a field with some "k" sensors. We get events of runnings locations. How to print the top "m" runners? (array of lists or hash table of lists depending on the location of the sensors. each list is one sensor). Some questions on how to identify the ordering within each list.
    4- CPU Cache implementation. How to implement the least frequently used procedure.
    5- Scheduling some jobs over "m" servers. Centralized vs distributed implementation? How to implement.

The management interview was interesting and I liked the two managers. HR was fine too. I did not do any negotiations.

Interview Questions
    • The chessboard problem. I first mentioned BFS and use of a Queue but the interviewer kept asking about some data structure with less memory that I could extract due to the simple structure of the graph. I did not understand what he meant. I eventually mentioned DFS and proved it works uses less memory.
      The cache problem took a long time. I kind of though I failed it at some point. I had no prior knowledge of the topic since I am not a CS guy. I eventually, used an array to store the access time to different items and O(n) search through it to find the least frequently used one. The interviewer did not raise the complexity. He wanted me to write code on a paper (which is hard, esp. in C).
        View Answer
    I did not do any negotiations. I accepted the offer for some time in the future since I need to resolve the visa part.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

There are four stages to apply for this role:
    1. Online Application
    2. Telephone Interview
    3. Panel Interview
    4. Panel Interview with Manager you will report in to.

The online application is straightforward. Exhibit a keen interest in Bloomberg, Financial Markets and Sales.

The telephone interview tests your interests of the aforementioned topics and see you can hold a conversation over the telephone. They fire questions in an attempt to make you uncomfortable to test your ability to maintain composure. They ask fundamental technical questions here.

The Panel interview is with someone form Sales and another from Analytics. They test your technical knowledge here and explore where your strengths/weaknesses lie. They then focus their attention on the answers that you give and drill deeper to identify your expertise on the subject. A sound understanding of financial instruments is an advantage.

I made it to the third stage and missed out.

Interview Questions
    • What research have you done lately?
      What is the difference between a forward and future?
      What is the difference between an option and future?
      What would you choose, an option or a future?
      What is an option premium?
      How would you sell 20 Bloomberg Terminals?
        Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

I applied the job on line and received reply next day. The first round is group interview. About one hour company background introduction was given before the group discussion. The group discussion have two sections with 30 min of each. One section is characters ranking of a story. Another is to provide investment advice. You should try to show your professional background and communication skills in limited time.
    The candidate of next round will be noted immediately after the group interview.

Interview Questions
    • To provide investment advice with latest financial news is difficult.   Answer Question

Global Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Was contacted a week after I applied via email for a phone interview. The following week I got an email inviting me to attend a in-house interview. Currently waiting to attend the in-house interview.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was smooth. What do you know about Bloomberg LP? Why work for Bloomberg LP? And some basic questions about yourslef etc.   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics (Client Services) Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

1st step: group interview:
    a) Presentation in 2 minutes
    b) Description of the job and company (not a test)
    c) Ranking of the characters of "the little mermaid" and small group discussion to get a group ranking (not really a test either, because the results are not taken into account)
    d) Larger groups discussion concerning the c), test on your english
    e) Small group discussion on "How to invest $1M" (sort of test because the interviewers are at the table but they are watching the CVs and not listen to you)
    f) They ask to 3 people to have the 2nd interview directly (before lunch) and say to the other "You will be called maybe today, to come back this afternoon or in the week or never". (Great! There is no problem for me to wait for you at vitam aeternam)

2nd step: individual interview
    I should have this interview but I had the effrontery to ask if I could have it earlier because of a flight to go to my cousin's wedding. The email conversation:
    - Ok come back on August 6 at 3:00 pm
    - Could we do that earlier I have a flight the 3
    - Ok on August 4 (I really wanted to join BBG)
    - ... I cancelled my flight. I will be there

On August 4, I came but the day was reserved for another group interview. The guy told me "Ok error from the system" (Yes from Data provider #1...) "we will contact you later". Another guy was in the very same situation. In the evening, I got an email "Hi you are dismissed, bye". I sent back an email so the guy called me, he told me that he will pass my CV to other departements. No positive answer (yet?). They took my 2nd interview away from me because of their unability to handle a different situation.

It's the last time I trust BBG (and I ask if I can change an interview date...)

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

One phone interview, and one in-house interview. On the phone interview I had to answer questions like OOP principles, basic data structures analysis and then how to write a function with simpl recursion. On the in-house interview, I was given a wrong program, and I had to find the bug and to tell how to fix it. Then I had to solve one problem on arrays.

Interview Questions

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!