Bloomberg L.P.

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analytics Desk Interview

Analytics Desk
Mumbai

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2011.

Interview Details You need to apply online for any job at Bloomberg. You get a better chance at getting called for an interview in there is an internal employee referral. There are usually three rounds of interviews. In the first round, you will be asked more Market related questions. The second and third round are more about getting to know you and your aptitude to sell. Eg- Sell a pencil to me

Interview Question – The questions are usually about the markets, so it could be unpredictable or difficult at times. They love the Fixed Income markets so expect more questions on that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, Bloomberg has fixed bands and rarely negotiates. However, as it offers more than the industry standards, you would be more than happy with the offer.

Pricing Contributions Interview

Pricing Contributions

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details Applied online and received a call for telephone interview. It lasted about 40 mins and questions ranged from my current job, why I wish to leave, problems faced at the job, how I would add value to the position, what does Bloomberg do, about financial markets and where would I expect to see myself 2 years down the line. The interviewer was pretty friendly and told me that they would get back to me if I had been shortlisted. Waiting to know.

Interview Question – Where does Bloomberg source its information from?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Mumbai

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Interview Details Call from HR in Singapore. Arranged a phone interview for a week later. Heard back a week later for a video conf interview for the following week. Heard back a week later saying application wasn't successful.

Interview Question – General interview questions . Why Bloomberg? Why this role.   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Intern Interview

Sales and Analytics Intern
Mumbai

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details Got a call from Singapore for the first HR Round, consisted of brief behavioral questions.

Why Bloomberg? Strengths/weaknesses etc

Second round was from a Manager, was technical based on your CV. Was asked to pitch a stock, how much i know of the Bloomberg Terminal, a bit quantitative.

Interview Question – Five Buy Suggestion listed at the BSE.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Financial Sales and Analytics
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details There are four stages to apply for this role:
1. Online Application
2. Telephone Interview
3. Panel Interview
4. Panel Interview with Manager you will report in to.

The online application is straightforward. Exhibit a keen interest in Bloomberg, Financial Markets and Sales.

The telephone interview tests your interests of the aforementioned topics and see you can hold a conversation over the telephone. They fire questions in an attempt to make you uncomfortable to test your ability to maintain composure. They ask fundamental technical questions here.

The Panel interview is with someone form Sales and another from Analytics. They test your technical knowledge here and explore where your strengths/weaknesses lie. They then focus their attention on the answers that you give and drill deeper to identify your expertise on the subject. A sound understanding of financial instruments is an advantage.

I made it to the third stage and missed out.

Interview Question – What research have you done lately?
What is the difference between a forward and future?
What is the difference between an option and future?
What would you choose, an option or a future?
What is an option premium?
How would you sell 20 Bloomberg Terminals?
  Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Financial Software Developer
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details From the online application (bloomberg website) to the phone interview took around 4 weeks (a first interview was scheduled within 2 weeks but the interviewer didn't call so we rescheduled). The phone interview was quite straightforward and I was asked the following questions
1- Kind of a strange question. Generate all 3-digit combinations of 1-9 but not repeats in the sense that if you have 123, then 231, 321, etc. are not allowed. [nested for loops]
2- Reverse a given sentence (no use of library methods, arbitrary spaces between words). Make it faster. [start at the end and find and print words one-by-one].
3- You are given a 3L and a 5L container and unlimited supply of water. How to make 1L?[I found a longer solution but the short on is pour 3L into 5 twice.]
4- A program/algorithm which given mL and nL buckets figures out how (if possible) make kL. [we discussed the solution and the interviewer was nice and gave me a hint. Its a DP problem].

The next day, I received and invitation for on-site interview. The travel schedule part was straightforward and convenient.
I was invited to the NY office. There was a group of around 30 people like me. They hold you for a few minuts to issue a security badge. Then there is a tour about all the 31 or so aquariums and fishes at bloomberg. Eventually, there is breakfast and then the interviews come find you. There is 4 rounds of interview. Rounds 1-2 are technical, 3 is management, and 4 is HR.
Some questions I remember:
1- Find shortest path on a chessboard from low left corner to top right. You can move right and top only and some cells are inaccessible (DFS).
2- You have sorted arrays A and B with sizes m and n. Assume at the end of array "A" you have "n" empty slots. How to merge with minimum number of operations (start at the end instead of beginning). Prove it works (induction).
3- Some runners running in a field with some "k" sensors. We get events of runnings locations. How to print the top "m" runners? (array of lists or hash table of lists depending on the location of the sensors. each list is one sensor). Some questions on how to identify the ordering within each list.
4- CPU Cache implementation. How to implement the least frequently used procedure.
5- Scheduling some jobs over "m" servers. Centralized vs distributed implementation? How to implement.

The management interview was interesting and I liked the two managers. HR was fine too. I did not do any negotiations.

Interview Question – The chessboard problem. I first mentioned BFS and use of a Queue but the interviewer kept asking about some data structure with less memory that I could extract due to the simple structure of the graph. I did not understand what he meant. I eventually mentioned DFS and proved it works uses less memory.
The cache problem took a long time. I kind of though I failed it at some point. I had no prior knowledge of the topic since I am not a CS guy. I eventually, used an array to store the access time to different items and O(n) search through it to find the least frequently used one. The interviewer did not raise the complexity. He wanted me to write code on a paper (which is hard, esp. in C).
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not do any negotiations. I accepted the offer for some time in the future since I need to resolve the visa part.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Financial Sales and Analytics
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied online. Started with a very short 10min phone screening with HR, and quick online personality test.

Next round was an onsite interview at their NYC HQ, which included a terminal demonstration, tour of the building, and back to back interviews with two people from Sales & Analytics - 30min each. Standard questions - i.e. Why Bloomberg x100, why finance, basic behavioral questions, tell me recent news story, Bloomberg's competitors, etc.

Last round was a job shadow with a current analytics member (be sure to ask a lot of questions to show your interest) and a one-hour interview with two managers. Similar questions as the previous round + a sales role play for a phone app.

Interview Question – Sell me your favorite phone app.   Answer Question

Graduate Sales Analyst Interview

Graduate Sales Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details 3 interviews (1st one on the phone, followed by a first In-house interview and a final interview). Was rejected after the final interview by a standard email. Did not receive any feedback though promised I would - I asked for feedback two times, on the phone and via email. The process took at least three weeks in which I prepared thoroughly.

Interview Question – Describe Bloomberg Enterprise Solutions - not related to the role.   Answer Question

Client Service and Sales Interview

Client Service and Sales

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details Was contacted by the HR after applying through the college career service. The HR was professional and courteous. The interview went fairly well, however there was a limitation on the work visa which I was not allowed to proceed to the next round.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult in particular. Just some basic knowledge about the Bloomberg terminal.   Answer Question

Financial Product Sales & Analytics Interview

Financial Product Sales & Analytics
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online on company website, they contacted me after a day. The interview took a place two weeks after that. I had a phone interview and it was very technical.

Interview Question – I've been asked how to sell a terminal. The lady was quite rude. The interview was technical; your background, motivation about Bloomberg and position.   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!