Bloomberg L.P.

2,209 Interview Reviews

3.1

C++ Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I had applied on company website around a month back for 5 to 6 C++ developer positions. In next week of applying, I got 3 mails from Bloomberg, 2 of which said they are not going to consider my candidature for the post I have applied. However, for one of the C++ developer post, the mail said that we would like to conduct a telephonic interview. I told the availability. The first round interview was positive and easy for me. The interviewer used hackerrank tool for me to code a simple programming problem - find the no. of words in a given string. The words could be separated by space, tab, new line characters. Second question was to tell the constructor and destructor call order in an inheritance hierarchy. Third question was to tell where will the variables will be allocated in memory, there was a global, some local, a global char pointer, a char array, and a local static variable. Fourth question was how to determine the theoretical limit of memory that can be accessed?

After this, I got a mail saying the business wants my candidature to the next stage. Second round was scheduled after 5 days of the mail. In the interview they asked about my projects work and the technology I used. I described the projects. They wanted to check if I was part of implementation or not. Then they jumped onto technical interview. They just asked one programming problem : Dutch National Flag problem. Given a string of R, G, B : RGGBRRBBGG, write a function to arrange it in the order of the characters, all same characters clubbed together, in the order of characters. So the output should be: RRRGGGGBBB
    I could do it in an hour correctly (I guess I unnecessarily took more time than required to code this problem). I ran and the answer was fine. They said its correct. They asked a couple of questions around it like what all inputs would you give to test your function. And what is the complexity of the function, etc.

My fingers crossed now !! If I will be getting any more calls, I don't know.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult if you prepare well and if you know how to code.   Answer Question

C++ Gateway Developer, Pune, India Interview

I applied on the company website.
    Got a mail stating they wanted a telephonic interview.
    Its a code sharing tool by hackerrank ,”codepair”.
    Where both you and interviewer share screen and you can type the code whatever he asks for
    Interviewer showed up 40 min late and I was about to leave the site, when my phone rang.

Started with basics tell me about your current job, kind of work etc

que 1.
    rate yourself in c++ on a scale of 10.
    I rated 6 and said its complex and hard to master

questions on c++,
    pointer and references , initializer list, static , const ( variables , function etc), copy constructor, assignment operator
    performed averagely in those questions

good question:
    const int p = 10;
    change that value at p by hook or by crook.

gave a wrong answer saying,
    int * test = &p;
    test = 50 ;
    // although this can be done by access memory adresses dirctly using strings and some magic

programming questions-
    you are given an int e.g. 10 represented in binary as 1010 flip the bits (2s complement) to 0101.

first i tried using the not operator dirctly then realized that the total number of bits required is the to be considered here.

coded solution using bool bit[32] and loops , he said he can see what you are doing, and expected a efficient solution.

I was mostly impressed by thier devlopment enviroment they use vi , emacs and linux in development ( which i always wanted to in my job ) none of the MS garbage, that impressed me but sadly i couldn’t impress them.

Interview Questions
    • how does the compiler interpret const keyword and how it can be fooled.   View Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

3 rounds - analytics team who is specialised in one of the fields of finance, sales team, head of region

More technical job as it helps clients to use the terminal

Pricing Contributions Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online and received a call for telephone interview. It lasted about 40 mins and questions ranged from my current job, why I wish to leave, problems faced at the job, how I would add value to the position, what does Bloomberg do, about financial markets and where would I expect to see myself 2 years down the line. The interviewer was pretty friendly and told me that they would get back to me if I had been shortlisted. Waiting to know.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Call from HR in Singapore. Arranged a phone interview for a week later. Heard back a week later for a video conf interview for the following week. Heard back a week later saying application wasn't successful.

Interview Questions
    • General interview questions . Why Bloomberg? Why this role.   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Got a call from Singapore for the first HR Round, consisted of brief behavioral questions.

Why Bloomberg? Strengths/weaknesses etc

Second round was from a Manager, was technical based on your CV. Was asked to pitch a stock, how much i know of the Bloomberg Terminal, a bit quantitative.

Analytics Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2011.

You need to apply online for any job at Bloomberg. You get a better chance at getting called for an interview in there is an internal employee referral. There are usually three rounds of interviews. In the first round, you will be asked more Market related questions. The second and third round are more about getting to know you and your aptitude to sell. Eg- Sell a pencil to me

Interview Questions
    • The questions are usually about the markets, so it could be unpredictable or difficult at times. They love the Fixed Income markets so expect more questions on that.   Answer Question
    No, Bloomberg has fixed bands and rarely negotiates. However, as it offers more than the industry standards, you would be more than happy with the offer.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Sent application at the beginning of december, recieved invitation for phone interview about one month later.
    Phone interview was quite normal, mostly motivational, background and roleplay questions:
    Why financial products and sales? Why not banking? Why exactly this role? Who are bloomberg's competitors? What's the difference between Bloomberg Tradebook and Terminal? What's Bloomberg Vault? What's Bloomberg Government? How many companies are tracked by Bloomberg Terminal (24.000)? Then followed some questiones about me and my studies (i study finance). What's the most common way companies raise capitals? What's the QE? How would you hedge from risks in finance? Than situational kind of questions: How would you sell Coca Cola the terminal? Why would it use a Terminal? Imagine i am JPMorgan and i wanna decrease the number of terminals because Eikon is cheaper, how would you convince me to not do it? Imagine i am an angry customer calling you because I can't find UBS ticker, but you don't have info about me. How would you act?

After two days I received a mail stating I would have been invited to the in-house interview. IMPORTANT: in case you receive this mail, don't feel like you have the job. Almost everybody passes the phone interview. So, it's not indicative whether you nailed it or not.

In house interview: First. arrive on time.. Second, try to get to know people when you get in, but don't stay too far away from where they ask you to wait your interviewers. Be kind, friendly, self confident, and act like a normal person. In the beginning i had to shadow an employee in the analytics office. This people is quite funny and they take it so easy when working. They receive "tickets" (the chat questions from terminal users) and answer right on time. Very nice job by the way. The employee was actually glad to see how many things i knew of the terminal even thought i never used one. Then it came the moment. The interviewers (managers for analytics and sales teams) took me to a room for a 2:1 interview. They started asking: Introduce yourself in one minute; tell me 5 skills you think you built from your past experience; Try to sell me the product you sold in your previous job (yes, it's a call simulation); Imagine i'm a millionaire and i want to use Eikon cause it costs less. Sell me the terminal (other situational question. Remember to leverage on the price-quality standard, but sell your bullets slowly and at the right moment); Who mainly uses the Terminal and why? (than, interview turned from my own language to english) What problems do you think Bloomberg is facing at the moment? (IM messaging replications, Federated chat, Data governance, catch-up from other companies, do your own intelligent search); Why exactly Bloomberg? Why not Banking? What do you think about the actual financial market situation? Where would you invest now? What's the difference between Options and Futures? What is the current American economic situation? What would you look at if you'd invest in bonds? (did not really get what he ment for "look at" because i summed up all Bonds decision theory but he didn't seem convinced...however, might have been my fault). Then the interview got easier, talking about other products of Bloomberg and nothing more. I also asked a few questions at the end. However, I was kinda sure I made it. I was self confident, did a very good research, roleplayed a lot and felt so prepared about anything. Everything worked fine for me. Until the day after, when I received a mail stating "you're no long being considered". Ok. Got it. I did some self-questioning about what possibly went wrong, and here i come to the end of this good (yes, it was positive after all) experience with a few tricks: Don't smile too much. Listen to yourself. Listen to them. Come straight to the point. Be self confident but not too much. Don't bombard them with info you think might be a good mark for you, because they're gonna go deeper (and remember we have limited info about it). Be the best, and remember that you have to sell yourself as a good investment for them. Don't ask about possibility for entering other roles (yes, it might be possible, but i asked if Sales is the only possibility after analytics, and it was the footstep to my doom).

Finally. Don't act too friendly. Be yourself. Or, well, not too much yourself, but the "you" that you think Bloomberg wants. Good luck everybody. I'll try again in July (let 6 months pass, otherwise they won't consider your cv) ;)

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

4 rounds, including 2 technical interviews with 2 interviewers each, 1 interview with a manager, and 1 last interview with a HR. At the begin of the interview process, a HR took all the candidate to look around the building and introduce the work environment, and then 2 guys came to me and invited me to the meeting room and began the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Can not tell the details because of the NDA, but the questions were pretty easy. Interviewees should have the ability to deal with array and string.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

contacted the HR via email. got a reply within a week and was asked to apply online. 1st round of phone interview within another week which was followed by another round of onsite interview. Had around a month gap in between due to my inavailability

Interview Questions
    • phone: couple of questions of data structures. 1. find largest number in a really big array. 2. find if 2 numbers in an array can give a desired sum

onsite: lasted about 2 hrs. multiple questions on OS, data structures, algorithms and language specific (java for me)

View Answer