Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated 27 Oct 2014

3.1

339 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Product Sales and Analytics Interview

The whole process took just over a week. I was referred by a employee of the firm. I passed the telephone interview and a day later I was invited for a face to face interview and work shadow which lasted for 1hr 30 mins.

Technological Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Bloomberg set up campus interviews at our university and we were encouraged to apply. The initial screening was very prompt, with me receiving an invitation to interview with them within a week of application, a few days before the interview was to occur. The initial interview was with 2 software developers at Bloomberg and it was a basic technical interview. I was given a choice of language upon which the questions would be based; I chose Java. They asked me about some definitions (JVM and Java interface) and about how garbage collection worked. After that I had to write some code (not necessarily syntactically correct) to implement some things. First I had to implement a doubly linked list, then a method to reverse the order of the nodes. The last question was picking a letter than occurs once out of an array with letters with multiple instances. Overall the interview was quite professional. The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel quite comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Our data structure professor disliked linked lists and as a result I didn't have much practice with them. However if you have knowledge of the concepts it should all be fine.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described.
    In-house was structured in such a way that no question was neutral. (Ie. Not "why we should hire you", but rather "Honestly, from your Cv I can't see why should we hire you").
    I guess they want to see how you cope with stress.

Most questions are listed already, some others came from my cv and answers, so it's rather pointless to list them, but beware of what you say, if you lie it might fire back.

Interview Questions
    • Why would Tesco use our terminal? Who would you target there if you were to try and sell one?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

They have very inefficient and disorganised recruitment process lol I applied in August and heard nothing until mid-September. Then I got invited to a telephone interview, nothing for 2 weeks after that (so thought i had failed) then got invited for an in-house interview. Still waiting to hear back from them. They said there would be 2 more interviews, so telephone + 3 interviews..quite hectic.

1. Telephone interview
    Very quick, manager of a department, seemed very busy and uninterested in what I say.
    - Do you have any sales experience, etc.

2. In house-interview
    -Why financial services and not banking
    -what other firms have you applied to
    - any customer service experience
    - rate your financial knowledge in 1-10 (don't say 10, they just want this for follow-up questions)
    - what is a market cap
    - what is credit default swap
    - what's ur understanding of this role

The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • scenario questions (if you had this client acting this way and another acting this way, what would you do and in which order?)   Answer Question

Analytics Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I went to an open door event where they were showing what the job was about - at the end it's a customer care of very high level. You interact with customers mainly on chat. I spoke with two Italian people, very good people who were asking me why I wanted to change my career to finance (I was coming from a different background) I told them I wanted to try to something new, different. They started to ask me questions about financial terms which I only partially knew. At the end we kinda of agreed that I didn't want the job and they didn't want me to do the job - it's a win2win situation

Interview Questions
    • Explain strategy of European Central Bank about interests / difference between a future and a forward   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Interview

got the phone interview the day after submitting the online app. very efficient. Just simple questions regarding your CV, why Bloomberg, why this role, your skills...Now still during the process with them.

Interview Questions
    • sell the terminal to non-financial institutions   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied through Bloomberg website - Received email correspondence to book me in for a telephonic interview - 15 min interview discussing about walk through CV, what do you know about Bloomberg and role - was invited for a face to face interview at Bloomberg London

Interview Questions
    • Technical Questions related to Fixed Income & Derivatives   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied online and it took 3 days for HR to contact me to set up a telephone interview.
    The telephone interview lasted 15 minutes and surprisingly was not from HR but a manager within the sales department. I had not prepare for this.
    The questions the interviewer asked were mainly about my previous experiences, why Bloomberg, why sales ... general questions.
    The next step is a more deep 1-hour F2F interview but I was not short-listed anyway (received a reply back in one business day instead of 3 business days).

Interview Questions
    • To which type of companies would you sell Bloomberg terminals to?   Answer Question

Global Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

1 week after applying on the website for the position, l received an email from HR lady asking me to schedule a phone-interview which was set for 1 week later. On the phone interview, at first l was very nervous and thought l was done but then l got the conversation kept going. the questions were as expected, Why BB? What attracted you to this position? BB products and competitiors. Few days later l received another email inviting me to in-house interview.

The in-house interview is going to be at the end of next week so l don't know what will happen yet. l really would like to get the job.

Interview Questions
    • You have different background why do you want to change it?   Answer Question

Financial Product Sales & Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

1st interview (phone): Lasted 20 minutes. Why do you want to work for bloomberg? CV walkthrough. Easy overall.

2nd interview: videoconference, 2 to 1 (one from sales, one from analytics), 45 minutes. Who are our competitors? Why do you want to work for bloomberg? Why is the bloomberg platform better than thomson reuters eikon? who would you sell the BB platform in a country where we have no customers? Easy overall.

3rd interview: at the london office. 30 minutes shadowing a relatively new hire, followed by 45 minutes 2 to 1 interview (both from sales). Tell me why you would be a good salesman for bloomberg. Who are our competitors? What is the key selling point for Bloomberg's chat system? What are your weaknesses? (that's actually a pretty shite question I would've expected from someone in HR).Overall no hard or technical questions, really.

I'm disappointed because I was not offered a job but I don't know what I did or said wrong; I had the feeling all 3 interviews went just as well, so it's frustrating to get no feedback upon rejection.
    I'd done lots of preparation on several economic topics and financial instruments, which according to other interviewees on glassdoor are usually asked in these interviews, but I was never asked any of these questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the key selling point for Bloomberg's chat system?   View Answer