Bluestem Brands Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
12 interviews

2.8

Dotcom Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bluestem Brands.

I was contacted a 2 days after filling out an application to schedule a phone interview and was told they really wanted to talk to me. The phone interview was very basic. I just walked through my resume and described why I would be a good fit for the position giving examples of prior work history. I was brought in the following week to have an interview with 5 different people 30 minutes each. It was a pretty easy interview. No behavioral questions just talking about my past and vision and what drives me and what I could bring to the company. Everyone was really nice and seemed to really enjoy their job. They are a really fast growing company and there is a lot of opportunity there. It has been over 3 weeks now and I have yet to hear back. There has been no communication. When I reached out to them to ask where they were in the process, they said they were still in the very beginning stages and it would be a while. Their resources are very limited in HR. If this company is serious about growing, they need to be able to handle the workload on their end to hire for the positions that they are posting for. I have spoken to others that have applied for other positions and they had the same experience.

I was excited for the opportunity to work there but this left a bad taste in my mouth. I have since moved on to another offer I received. I could not wait any longer for them to get their stuff together.

Product Content Support Interview

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Bluestem Brands.

Had a 15 minute phone call learning about the position. Was later invited to an in-person interview that consisted of two 30 minute sessions with one interviewer each. I received positive feedback and was told they would be recommending me to fill the position. I was working with the senior recruiter who was extremely unprofessional. She was unreachable by phone and email for weeks even when the front desk told me she was in her office. I ended up getting another offer that I needed to respond to ASAP which I accepted. I couldn't wait for Bluestem to finally get back to me on the interview that I had three weeks prior. Communication was nonexistent.

Bluestem Brands Response

Jun 16, 2014Senior Vice President, HR

My apologies for this situation. Bluestem would never want any employee, candidate, or customer to feel this way. I realize that you have moved on to a new role, however, please feel free to reach ... More

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bluestem Brands in December 2010.

Was brought in for an in person interview for three different positions. Was then brought back for a second interview for two of them. Earned both positions, but was told which one to take based on the current needs of the company.

There was not much of a negotiating phase

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Eden Prairie, MN (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bluestem Brands in February 2014.

I originally had a phone interview which led into a person-to-person interview. The interview at BlueStem lasted about two hours and I met with different groups of people: marketing, sales, operations. They did a log of the talking which surprised me. They were all very nice people to talk to. I then had a final breakfast interview after I made it into the final three individuals.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bluestem Brands.

Very simple and easy. Did not really have an interview, just showed up and did the training.

No negotiation. This is what we have to offer.

Marketing Analyst, ECommerce Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Eden Prairie, MN (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Bluestem Brands in February 2013.

I applied for the job in mid-December. I received a call shortly thereafter wanting to schedule a phone interview. I had that phone interview the day after Christmas. It was a fairly standard interview with an HR staffer.

I heard back after a couple of weeks, letting me know that I was selected for an in-person interview. I met with the hiring manager and the director of the department. These interviews went well, so I was called back in mid-February for a second interview, where I met with two other marketing employees. I really had a good conversation with one of them in particular.

I did not hear back at the time I expected followup, so I called the hiring manager. I found I did not get the job, but they were looking to see if they could add me in another role. This did not turn out as well. That being said, it was still a positive experience as I look for the right job for me.

Interview Questions
    • What was a situation where you had to deal with a difficult person?   Answer Question

Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bluestem Brands.

Several sets of interviews that included human resources, peers, managers and higher level leadership. I was asked many questions about my experience, how I handled situations in my previous employment and how I would handle them here. We talked at length about the culture here. We went through my portolio in detail. The people interviewing me seemed really eager and enthusiastic to talk to me and all seemed to genuinely like the company.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about a time when I had to deliver bad news to someone, and how I handled it. That kind of threw me.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a tiny bit. They have awesome benefits, so I didn't feel like I really needed to.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Eagan, MN (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Bluestem Brands in September 2012.

I had a phone interview as well as an on site interview.

I had applied and been interviewed, thought that overall the interview was ok. It went well for the first interviewers who asked technical questions and explained the project more, but then the "talent acquisition director" from HR, the last of my 5 interviewers came in.

She seemed very disinterested and made it plain that I was a waste of her time. I have no doubts that she made the call not to hire.

I got notice a few days later that I did not get the job.

a month later, I got another call back asking if I was still interested in the job, I told them I took another contract and was told to "be in touch" in the coming months as the position is like to still be open.

None of my emails have been answered.

Bluestem Brands Response

Jul 09, 2013Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the feedback. Feedback helps us determine if we are achieving an important objective of our interview process: delivering positive experiences for all candidates. We continuously ... More

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bluestem Brands in July 2011.

Basic programming questions, strengths and qualifications. Straight forward and easy. Laid back company so laid back interviews.

No negotiations.

Senior Contact Center Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bluestem Brands in July 2011.

I received an email from the Talent Acquisition Manager while I was out of the country on vacation. I responded and said I would return in two weeks. She said that would be fine, and when I returned, she set up two days of interviews. I interviewed with my hiring manager and the VP above him at the headquarters in Eden Prairie, and then later that week I drove up to Saint Cloud (where the call center is) and interviewed with a panel of four people. The culture is very casual at Bluestem, which was apparent during the interviews. I was, of course, all decked out in a suit, and my (eventual) boss was wearing jeans and a neon green shirt. In terms of interview questions, they were pretty typical behavioral questions. Nothing too surprising.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would measure customer service.   View Answer
    I was offered a base salary, and when I asked for more (approximately 5%), my boss said that I would make that and more with the yearly bonus. He did, however agree to revisit my salary at the six-month mark, which he did. I got 4% then, after 6 months of good work.

Worked for Bluestem Brands? Contribute to the Community!