Booz Allen Hamilton

Getting the Interview

557 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in January 2013.

Interview Details I was very nervous about interviewing with a management consulting firm. I thought it would be really difficult with lots of numerical case-based questions and high-pressure interview techniques. I prepared for days, reading Harvard Business Review articles and sample case studies; holding informational interviews with former employees and memorizing Booz Allen's core values.

In reality the interview was a piece of cake. And in a lot of ways, it was disappointing because I expected more from such a large, well-established firm.

My interview started with a phone screening with one of Booz Allen's contracted outside recruiters. This was frustrating because the recruiter seemed to read from a script, had poor listening skills and didn't seem equipped to understand or communicate the strategic goals of the company and how the job vacancy I was interviewing for fit into that. It felt like a check-the-box exercise and it didn't give me a great first impression.

Next, I attended a half-day interview at Booz Allen's HQ in McLean, VA. The day was well organized, with a decent overview of the company given by the Booz Allen Resource Management Team. Then, I had a series of one-on-one interviews with Associates. The interviewers probably skimmed my resume for 2 minutes outside the interview room, because they came across as very junior, with little or no knowledge of the strategic direction of the firm. Their questions were bog-standard interview questions; nothing really scratched the surface of what I'd done in the past or what I'm passionate about. They read from interview scripts and seemed to be another 'check-the-box' part of the process. I wasn't impressed or challenged. It felt like they were asked to interview me the day before.

Finally, I had a 1-hour telephone interview with a Senior Associate and Lead Associate. This was much better and probably turned the tables for me in terms of my decision to join the firm. The interviewers seemed to have a much better grasp of my experience, asked more engaging questions and described what day-to-day life might be like at the firm.

Interview Question – None. I was asked a lot of technical questions about my are of expertise, but none were difficult. There were no case study questions to answer. Most non-technical questions were behavioral-event questions like,
"Tell me about a time when..."
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Oh how I wish I"d negotiated! My one piece of critical advice is to access Glassdoor.com, arm yourself with information and negotiate as high a title and salary as possible. Once you're "in" it's near impossible to get promoted or to get meaningful pay increases. I understand now why there are many employees who leave the firm and return as "come-back" kids, because it's a much easier way to move up the ladder. I wish someone had given me this advice before I accepted the offer.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in May 2012.

Interview Details Simple informational interview with a few cases

Interview Question – What is a current book that you are reading and why?   Answer Question

Lead Associate Interview

McLean, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details I applied online and was called back for a telephone screening asking about skills, availability, clearance, etc. The next day they called and asked me to come for an interview. I met with the HR representative first and then had a one-on-one interview and then a group of 3 interviewed me and then the HR representative wrapped it up by telling me that they would let me know something within a week.

Interview Question – My interviewer gave me about 20 sheets of paper and a pencil and told me to create a presentation on any topic of my choice in 10 minutes while he was out of the room; and to be ready to present it to him and a couple of others that he would bring when he came back.   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Fort Meade, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in October 2013.

Interview Details I was interviewed by several members of the branch. One member asked about my experiences in order to find the best team to match me with. My other interviews felt like conversations where we discussed my resume and how consulting works. The HR department was very good about keeping me in the loop throughout the process.

Interview Question – What is the one thing that you want me to know about you at the end of this interview?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – It was a generous offer, but too far from home.

Very Easy Interview

Associate Interview

Annapolis Junction, MD (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details I received an unsolicited phone call from an employee who found my resume through membership to a professional society. I was brought into an interview and they asked me 3 questions about experience and resume, then they asked me if I was willing to learn new techniques and methods for analysis, and then they asked me if I had any ethical issues with doing DOD work. Then we spend the rest of the interview talking about hobbies and interests outside of work.

Interview Question – I think the unexpected question was about whether or not I had ethical issues with DOD work. It surprised me that that they cared, but later I found out that they ask because due to the nature of the work, they did not want us to have any personal issues with the work that we did and would have placed in work that didn't keep me up at night.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me first for salary and I provided a high number and they accepted. It seemed like they were in need at the time for the skill set that I had.

Senior Associate Interview

Vienna, VA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details Was referred to by a senior parter and had a full afternoon of interview between partners and senior managers. It was quite interesting process and i kind of enjoyed it.

Interview Question – Why wouldn't we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much negotiations as the offer was quite impressive.

Cyber Security Analyst Interview

Herndon, VA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in May 2010.

Interview Details I interned because I knew somebody (which is about 90% of the good BAH people). I intereviewed after my internship and they hired me on the spot. I truely enjoyed interning (they used to spoil the interns when we were a private company....not so much anymore).

Interview Question – Is there anyone here that you don't like? and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Simple. they came with a solid offer. I interviewed with 3 other companies during my last year of school and the offer was the best because of the ECAP....which now doesn't matter. Note; the ECAP was a 10% retirement contribution from the firm on top of what you made.....not from your income. It is now completely gone.

Intern Research Assistant Level APII Interview

Saint Inigoes, MD (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in March 2013.

Interview Details Telephone Interview

Interview Question – Abilities in Statistical analysis such as abilities in Excel.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Consultant- DoD Strategy Interview

O'Fallon, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton in September 2012.

Interview Details A recruiter found me on LinkedIn. From that point to hire date, it was around 1 1/2 months. Did one phone interview with HR and one interview with my manager. I was a fast hire because a new contract had just been awarded.
The HR lady on LinkedIn was very slow to respond-- she was obviously not an expert in the field. Once I made contact with my managers though, I felt more assured because they were very intelligent and retired military officers.

Interview Question – I was asked what books I was reading... I wasn't reading anything professional at the time, so I was embarrassed to say Stephen King. Now I always keep a business book on my night stand.
They asked me about all the acronyms used in the job posting--- I had researched the ones that I hadn't heard of-- and that was HUGE. The fact that I could even recite the acronyms was a plus over the other candidates.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary was less than I expected, did a little negotiating, got *a little* bit more.

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Interview Details interview process took 3 weeks once applied. Once you pass the recruiter. I interviewed with 5 different people indiviually. Was there for 3 hours total. It was a little draining. They ask a lot of behavioral questions. Be prepared to discuss your background and experiences in full detail.

Interview Question – How would you handle sensative information leaked to you?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Booz Allen Hamilton

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton interview questions and advice. All 557 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees and interview candidates.