Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

50 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Gurgaon, Haryana

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details Hiring and interview process is very structured and planned
There are 2-3 case interviews - one has to don them very well
Finally an HR round but that is a formality

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Position and compensation are fixed for a role

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details I was first invited to a preparation Workshop, it covered the firm’s culture, recruitment process and a sample case analysis. I found the sample case analysis very useful. So there were 3 rounds of interview, each round composed of 2 case interviews. I was interviewed by a principal first, and then a consultant. Unfortunately, I did not make it through the first round. I would recommend interviewees to develop a framework instead of tackling the questions intuitively.

Interview Question – What do you know about private equity?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details Online application and a little back and forth with the recruitment manager. First round interview was in person, with two consultants. The interviews were tough and the consultants don't provide too much comfort if you get off to a shaky start. This was followed by a 1 hour 'aptitude test', involving verbal and numerical comprehension and reasoning. It started easy then got quite difficult towards the end, and was very business focussed, in comparison to some of the more generic aptitude tests out there.

Interview Question – A case study about a customer service phone company in Kenya. The question was actually asking to calculate the per unit profit.   View Answer

Sydney (Australia)

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied for associate campaign online.
Only got to first round interviews.

Interview Question – 1. What sort of leader are you?
2. Biggest challenge?
  Answer Question

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Interview Details BCG came onto campus during the fall semester to hold recruit at my school. I applied online and was given a first round interview at their offices in my school's city. A recent alumni of my school and current BCGer contacted me by e-mail shortly after I accepted my interview and led me through a practice interview and case on the phone in preparation for my actual interview. The interview was pretty typical as far as Big Three consulting interviews go. I had back to back interviews for around a half our each with two project leaders, and each gave me a case in their area of expertise. The cases were fairly standard BCG cases - think big picture rather than those market-sizing type questions - and there are a ton of examples that you can (and should) use to practice before your interview. I had only looked at cases in the days before my interview, and needless to say, I did not do as well as I would have liked. Still a great experience though, I just wish I would have done more ahead of time.

Interview Question – Be sure to study a wide variety of cases ahead of time and understand what types of questions you will need to ask to get all the information you need. Your interviewers will help guide you along if you're truly stuck, but you should to get it on your own. Also, make sure that your calculations are precise. Definitely ask for a minute to gather your thoughts if you need it.   Answer Question

Associate - Consultant Interview

Associate - Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in London in November 2013. Enjoyed the process and found the staff friendly, interesting and approachable, including my interviewer.

Day consisted of a fairly simple quantitative maths test, a case study interview and online case study test (graph and data interpretation, verbal and numerical).

Interview Question – Business case - need to improve a retail bank's sales force productivity with a focus on their employee incentive scheme   Answer Question

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details I made initial communication with consultants within my preferred office and was accepted as a referred candidate. Additionally, I applied online and through BCG campus resume collection.

The first round interviews consisted of two 45-minute in person interviews. The interviews were ten minutes of fit/behavioral and the remaining time for one case each.

I was very nervous during the first interview and messed up the math...the interviewed was very kind and asked me to look over the numbers again.
The second interview went much better. The case and fit portion felt much like a conversation, and overall, I had a lot of fun during the interview!

The behavioral questions were very much expected. The case questions involved multiple graphs and additional facts. I strayed from my initial framework and had to be quick on my feet to respond to each interviewers prompts.

Additionally, it is helpful to know that I have a liberal arts (political science and economics majors) background. I have had no prior experience in the industry and relied mainly on online resources to learn about the case interview process. The case questions I encountered were not difficult because of the technicalities but because of how fast-paced it all seemed.

Interview Question – The fit and case portions were to be expected.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

Interview Details Online application + tests (online at their office, other people could read your screen) + interviews. Did not get thru the first interview round: both had brainteasers and it seemed I was doing fine but one of the interviewers was downright rude. Would not give you time to even finish your sentences. Never seen that at McKinsey.

Interview Question – What is the annual income of London Metro system - the interviewer refused to specify whether this includes overground, he would argue with my estimates up to decimals (!)
Just a confusing experience. Again, nothing like that with McKinsey
  View Answer

Madrid (Spain)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details I have to say that I come from a non/Business background with a 6 month master in management, a PhD and post/doc in Biology. The process consisted of a computer based test and 2 rounds of interview with 2 consultants each. The whole process was excellent! Well co-ordinated and with great people. HR people were very nice as well. I admire consultants from BCG for their I.Q, presence and friendly character. The behavioural questions were very easy so I will share my experience with the case interviews.

The cases I got in the first round were- 1. A warehouse that sells construction material is suffering from losses. Typical cost and revenue analysis. The answer was that fixed costs were too high although I had to go though all the possible solutions such as cross/selling, bundled offerings to increase revenue, increase price etc.

2. A man wants to donate money to a certain cause. Was given a chart with details about different projects that required funds. They consisted of development oriented projects or projects that focused on emergency relief. From the chart the best option was the development project since it benefited more number of people and had longterm benefits. (These 2 cases had charts and numbers. You have to be good with numbers. Dont make mistakes)

Second round. 1. Tough and abstract case related to the business valuation of a shipyard. I did not do well in this interview since it was completely out of my league. Sometimes I did not know what the interviewer was looking out for. 2. The case was about entering a new market. A railway contractor who had to choose between Spain, Italy and Germany. You had to see all scenarios, customers, competition, external factors, returns etc and make a decision.The best interviewer of all. Very direct and structured in his approach.

I enjoyed the entire process and learnt a lot from it even though I was not selected. Hope to be able to interview with them again!

Interview Question – How would you valuate a shipyard?   View Answers (2)

Palo Alto, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Interview Details Recruited at school, turned in application and was invited for on-campus interview.

Interview Question – Have to do some quick mental math, mostly multiplication of low double-digit numbers. Should understand unit conversion well.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant interview questions and advice. All 50 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.