Boston Consulting Group

Updated 25 Jan 2015

3.9

127 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

We had an initial resume shortlist that was released a month before interviews. Recent grads were assigned to us to help out with any questions we had and also to practice cases with. I had 3 rounds in total on the actual recruitment day (with PL/Prinicipal/Partner level interviewers), all traditional case interviews with a little bit of HR/resume discussion mixed in.

Interview Questions
  • A few curve ball questions to look at how I respond to anything unexpected. It's more important to come off as cool headed than anything else.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I had 5 cases on my final round with BCG. The first 4 cases when very smooth, completely in-line with how I had prepared, the 5th case was a disaster though. The case was about a competitor moving into a different country, all of the numbers indicated it was the wrong move for them so my recommendation was to ignore them. The Partner doing the case told me that there must be a reason for them to move so I should always follow them at least with a small launch to test the waters. It all went south from there. Didn't get an offer.

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Three rounds.
    1. One online in-office numerical test. One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    2. One two-hour analysis of a 40 pages document followed by a 20mn presentation with slides (on paper). One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    3. Two face-to-face case study (45mn)

All case studies consist of a first part where the consultant presents herself or himself, followed by your own presentation, motivations and discussion on your background. Then the case itself. Finally a few minutes are kept at the end for questions from you to the consultant on her/his background or on the firm.

Interview Questions
    Very rigid salary and policy so there is no negotiation.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

I was invited to the first round of interviews, which consisted of two case studies with consultants, and one online case. The case studies went as follows: tell +- 10 minutes about your resume and answer 2/3 personal questions ('Why do you want to work at BcG?', 'Tell me a situation in which you managed to convince team members'), 20-30 +- working on a case, and +-5 minutes to ask questions. The online case took 45 minutes, and consisted of 23 multiple choice questions, all about one particular case. The test included tasks such as: calculate the ratio of product cost in situation A to the product cost in situation B, calculate the average gross profit margin, etc.

The people, except one interviewer, seemed very reasonable and nice to talk to. I think you have to be a bit lucky with your interviewers. Their judgments are the most important, and it is nice if you have a spontaneous, interesting interviewer that gives you some affirmation. I had one that gave me such little information about a case, that it took me great difficulty to give a reasonable answer.

Interview Questions
    • Name one example in which you were working in a group, and in which you had a conflict with a group member. How did you handle the situation?   View Answer
    • Name three things that you are very proud of   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

CV and cover letter screening
    First round interview: case with a partner/principal + written numerical test
    Second round interview: 2 cases with partner/principal
    Final round interview: 2 cases with partners (not necessarily cases per se, partners at this point do whatever they want during the interview to get to know you and see how you think)

Interview Questions
    • Quite a lot of data analysis (the interviewers will give you numbers, charts, etc and you will have to digest the info fast).   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2014.

Applied online. Resume, cover letter and transcripts. Invited to the 1st round. 3 interviews, half personnality questions half case study. Pretty straightforward. The case questions are not the hardest, however you need to get them right. The math is also quite straightforward, no trick questions or hidden points, however you must be on top of it. My first interviewer got me pretty offset, and it spiraled down from there and I wasn't able to perform on the 2 following interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If I would call your previous boss right now, what would he tell me about you ?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2014.

1st Round:
    - 2*50min Interviews. Both 15min Competency, 30min Case and 5min for questions
    - 1* Online Case

2nd Round in Munich:
    - 3*50min Interviews:
       - 2* 15min Competency, 30min Case and 5min for questions
       - 1* 30min Competency 15min Case and 5min for questions
    - BCG Real Life:
       - 3*12min exercises that mimic the consultant job (eg. design a presentation, small talk with a client, give a presentation, etc.)

The cases were math heavy and involved finding new business models.

Interview Questions
    • Your client is a solar panel manufacturer. His competition in China is producing the same product with a similar quality at a much cheaper price. What should he do?   View Answer

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2014.

First round (Maths test and 1 interview with project leader), 2nd round (1 project leader and 1 principal) and final round (1 partner and 1 senior partner). The format of all the interviews are very similar. The first two rounds mainly tests your ability to solve cases, whereas I felt that the 3rd round was more about fit. I was told that I needed prompting for one of the final round cases, which apparently cost me the job offer, but I felt that it was probably more of a fit issue. The interview process was fair, and HR did an excellent job in organising the interviews. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly, and they really want you to do your best.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say is 'success' in your life when you're 50?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Submitted CV and cover letter online, was invited to interviews in London. First round interview = profit and loss case and a maths paper. Then invited to second round - two interviews, one was on analysing a financial services data provider, one was about the energy sector. Didn't get through that round but did make some maths mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • What are the skills a consultant needs and how have you demonstrated them?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Typical consulting interview process. Applied through college and was invited for an on-campus interview. The first round consisted of two interviews (case and behavioral), and the final round, two as well. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful, even if you initially went down a wrong path for the case. The cases themselves were of above average difficulty but were still manageable, given that you manage your time correctly.