Boston Consulting Group

Updated 15 Dec 2014

3.9

119 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

CV and cover letter screening
First round interview: case with a partner/principal + written numerical test
Second round interview: 2 cases with partner/principal
Final round interview: 2 cases with partners (not necessarily cases per se, partners at this point do whatever they want during the interview to get to know you and see how you think)

Interview Questions
  • Quite a lot of data analysis (the interviewers will give you numbers, charts, etc and you will have to digest the info fast).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Submitted CV and cover letter online, was invited to interviews in London. First round interview = profit and loss case and a maths paper. Then invited to second round - two interviews, one was on analysing a financial services data provider, one was about the energy sector. Didn't get through that round but did make some maths mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • What are the skills a consultant needs and how have you demonstrated them?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Typical consulting interview process. Applied through college and was invited for an on-campus interview. The first round consisted of two interviews (case and behavioral), and the final round, two as well. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful, even if you initially went down a wrong path for the case. The cases themselves were of above average difficulty but were still manageable, given that you manage your time correctly.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First Round Interviews:

1st Interview:

- 15 minute fit: very standard questions (tell me about yourself, a time where you were a leader, etc) nothing out of the ordinary.
    - 30 minute case: determining why the long distance sector of a telecom company is losing revenues. Had 2 exhibits (one showing income statement now and 10 yrs ago; the other showing the market size as well as the market share of us vs competition).

2nd interview:

- 15 minute fit: again very standard behavioral questions.
    - 30 minute case: customers of cars were dissatisfied and you had to figure out why and what to do about it.

Second Round Interviews:

1st interview:
    - 45 minutes to read over 15 slides and figure out a recommendation. You had to choose 7 slides that you thought best represented the problem and write 1 executive summary slide that went over recommendations, reasons and risks.
    -45 minutes to go over the above package with a principal (15 mins of that was fit)

2nd interview:

- 15 mins fit - very standard with heavy focus on why BCG
    - 30 mins case - figuring out why the IT department of a pharma company was losing profits (couple of exhibits)

3rd interview:

- 45 minute very light/casual chat with a partner. It was really testing whether you're a good fit for the company and felt very natural.

Interview Questions
    • The written case was difficult in that there wasn't very much time to go through all the slides, do the math required and write the summary slide. Ended up being a serious time crunch.   Answer Question
    No need to negotiate.

Associate Interview

Very quick turn around between interviews, but overall a great experience. Everyone was super helpful and friendly. I can tell that everyone genuinely wanted me to succeed. Unfortaunely, I froze up during one of my final round interviews and it probably costed me the offer, but regardless , it was a great experience, and I would recommdend everyone go through with it.

First round:
    2 40 minute case interviews (few fit questions here and there)

Final round:
    3 40 minute case interviews

Interview Questions
    • During my first round, I was given about 10-12 graphs, and I had to synthesize information from all of these resources, and pull insight to various questions that my interviewer was asking.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied through my school, and got a first round interview. It was two back-to-back 45 minute interviews, with a bit of fit at the beginning, a case, and then some time for questions. The cases were not too difficult, but I think that perfection was required to get through to the second round.

Interview Questions
    • "When did you overcome an issue with trust, and how did you do it?"   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Applied through my university and was brought in for first-round interviews at the local (Boston in my case) office. Interviews were 45 minutes long, back-to-back: 10 minutes for fit questions, 30 minutes for case interview, 5 minutes for Q&A. Was flown to the Chicago office (my eventual home office) for second-round interviews, which were structured a little differently: 1 verbal case, like in the first round, and one hour and a half written case + presentation. Met many different BCGers along the way and was impressed with how frank and honest they are through the entire process!

Interview Questions
    • Should our client, a worldwide coffee company, focus on growing the existing US market or expanding into China?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Following my internship at BCG, I was offered to join BCG full-time in Europe. I applied for a transfer to one of the American offices via email. I was asked to come to the office to meet some people for interviews a couple of days after my first inquiry.

Interview Questions
    • No case-interviews, just a friendly getting-to-know each other.   Answer Question
    BCG offers little room for negotiation. I was told the only slack you have is the entry-level. I did not negotiate, however.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Applied online, there is no deadline for this position.The interesting part is they offer me a chat opportunity with associate and analyst who works in BCG New York, not the HR to have the phone interview with me.

Interview Questions
    • Normal questions. Introduce yourself, why consulting, why BCG   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Applied in the summer recruitment campaign, where there are fewer job roles on offer, and I assume fewer interview spots are given. CV and cover letter sent online, received an email inviting to interview within a couple of weeks. All interviews took place at the London office (which is really nice!).

First round:
    - Numerical test, very similar to GMAT numerical questions. The questions aren't that difficult, but the time pressure makes this quite tough.
    - Case study on laptop, multiple choice questions based on a fictional case. Most of these are about drawing info from graphs and tables, and doing longer calculations than in the numerical test. Tough to prepare, just go and give it a shot.
    - 1 x interview with Project Leader. Standard format, 15 minutes personal experience questions talking about motivation and past experience. 20 minutes case interview. 5-10 minutes questions for the interviewer. If you've prepared well enough for case style interviewing, then the case won't surprise. I found that I was given a lot of detail, seeing the root of the problem was quite difficult, and there were many factors to think about. The cases were usually based on a real project that the interviewer had worked on previously, so they know the case inside out! In the first round, I was given a falling profits/market share case.
    NOTE: I was told that getting through to the second round is based on your performance in the case interview and CV/cover letter. The test results are used to discriminate between Maybe candidates.

Second round:
    - 2 x Project leader/Principal interviews. Exactly the same format as in the first round.

Final round:
    - 3 x Partner interviews. Same format again, although one of my interviews was almost completely calculations based, I found this really tough. Partners definitely expect you to lead the case more, they don't seem to give much guidance along the way - they want you to own the business problem like a real consultant would.

Notes:
    I was told that the hiring decision is not based purely on your final round performance. Partners do consider the feedback from interviewers in the previous rounds. I've interviewed at a few top consulting firms, and BCG interviewers stood out for how friendly and welcoming they were. When you're answering the personal experience questions, you get a real sense that the interviewer is genuinely interested in getting to know you properly. The recruiting staff are incredibly welcoming and helpful, they really calmed my nerves in the waiting room, and were quick to respond with a decision. Partners give their decision on the same day.

Top tip:
    When you're planning your kick off or doing calculations, get it all down on paper, it really helps you communicate your line of thinking. Make some recommendations at the end of your case before you're asked to. Really try to own the case and lead it, treat the interviewer as a real client, don't expect them to guide you along.

Interview Questions
    • Your manager has told you that you'll be starting a project in industry X next week, but he doesn't know any more details. How would you start researching the industry, what things would you look at?   Answer Question