Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct 2014
Updated 29 Oct 2014

3.8

Senior Associate Interview

Campus Interview process had multiple rounds (3). Each round had two interviews. All the interviews were classic case interviews. Various kind of topics were picked up, most were from projects on which the interviewers had actually worked. Each interview was roughly 20 minutes. Besides case, there was some amount of discussion on personals but was bare minimum.

No negotiation

Database Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

They had outsourced their hiring process to other company, so had to go for around 4 rounds of interview and then got a call from BCG. BCG guys have attitude problem .It seems they weren't interested in taking my interview as my process got over in 20 minutes . The guy who took my interview didn' have knowledge about SQL but had ask me questions on it . He didn't give me even 5-10 minutes to write the query and at the end he wrote a query which was wrong . It's all about luck . It wasn't my day

Interview Questions
    • No such question was asked as interview process was just a formality . They were not interested in taking my interview   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

BCG is a fantastic Firm, and its selection process is one of the most professional. I have only good things to say about their US team.

The Indian office (esp. Delhi), however, is another story altogether. They are a right mess.

Lateral recruitment and career progression are not aligned with US or Europe, and seem patently illogical and unfortunate.

The recruitment process is fairly standard - with 2 rounds of interviews. Each round consists of 2-3 interviews. Each interview is supposed to be composed of a case and a behavioral part.

Unfortunately, the Delhi-based interviewing consultants evidently lack a key skill - listening. And irrespective of how many interviews they might have conducted, they seem particularly poorly equipped to manage case interviews. In fact, in one case, (based on the feedback later provided to me) the interviewer actually expected me to do the exact opposite of what one is supposed to do in solving a case.

To top it all, they seem pretty cavalier and unprofessional as far as the process and logistics go.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Only unexpected thing was the unprofessionalism of both HR and interviewers (multiple reschedules, turning up late, lack of structure, not adhering to scheduled time slots, etc)   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

There were 2-3 rounds of presentations made by team coming down from BCG to the campus. Initial resume submission, followed by a shortlisting of candidates. This is followed up by a dinner with few consultants and partners. Finally, 2 to 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews are conducted based on case-interviews & few HR type of questions.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Hiring and interview process is very structured and planned
    There are 2-3 case interviews - one has to don them very well
    Finally an HR round but that is a formality

No negotiation. Position and compensation are fixed for a role

Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2012.

Had to go through number if interviews including a technical test.

It is very difficult to negotiate. They have set range of salary defined.

Research Analyst - Global Advantage Practice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2012.

A telephonic HR interview, followed by a face-to-face interview and a telephonic interview with a Manager (based in Belgium). There might be more rounds in the process but can't comment. The position was put on hold abruptly during my interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the market size of a particular Indian sweet in Delhi   View Answer
    • If you are to set up an automobile plant in an Indian state, what all factors would you look at?   View Answer

Project Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2010.

4-5 interviews including HR and final offer. You go ahead only if the previous one is successful. Very consistent interview process across different interviewers. Mostly case based - 2 cases per interview is a minimum. The cases are usually a stripped down version of a real life case example that the person must have gone through.

Interview Questions
    • Why move from a consulting company to another consulting firm   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Final round: Two interviews with two principals. One focusing on personal experience and a short case, one with a "written case" and more in-depth personal experience questions. For the written case, one is supposed to spend 45 min reading the materials (a slide deck and a memo in my case) and then present to the interviewer their thinking process and findings.

Interview Questions
    • What are you passionate about? What wakes you up in the morning?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

You must must must practice case studies with a partner, it's not really enough to just read Case in Point (although it's a good starting point). You can't really be over prepared. Make sure to be organized and logical in your approach.