Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 5, 2014
Updated Sep 5, 2014

3.8

Database Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

They had outsourced their hiring process to other company, so had to go for around 4 rounds of interview and then got a call from BCG. BCG guys have attitude problem .It seems they weren't interested in taking my interview as my process got over in 20 minutes . The guy who took my interview didn' have knowledge about SQL but had ask me questions on it . He didn't give me even 5-10 minutes to write the query and at the end he wrote a query which was wrong . It's all about luck . It wasn't my day

Interview Questions
    • No such question was asked as interview process was just a formality . They were not interested in taking my interview   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

There were 2-3 rounds of presentations made by team coming down from BCG to the campus. Initial resume submission, followed by a shortlisting of candidates. This is followed up by a dinner with few consultants and partners. Finally, 2 to 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews are conducted based on case-interviews & few HR type of questions.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Delhi
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

BCG is a fantastic Firm, and its selection process is one of the most professional. I have only good things to say about their US team.

The Indian office (esp. Delhi), however, is another story altogether. They are a right mess.

Lateral recruitment and career progression are not aligned with US or Europe, and seem patently illogical and unfortunate.

The recruitment process is fairly standard - with 2 rounds of interviews. Each round consists of 2-3 interviews. Each interview is supposed to be composed of a case and a behavioral part.

Unfortunately, the Delhi-based interviewing consultants evidently lack a key skill - listening. And irrespective of how many interviews they might have conducted, they seem particularly poorly equipped to manage case interviews. In fact, in one case, (based on the feedback later provided to me) the interviewer actually expected me to do the exact opposite of what one is supposed to do in solving a case.

To top it all, they seem pretty cavalier and unprofessional as far as the process and logistics go.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Only unexpected thing was the unprofessionalism of both HR and interviewers (multiple reschedules, turning up late, lack of structure, not adhering to scheduled time slots, etc)   Answer Question

Project Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Delhi
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2010.

4-5 interviews including HR and final offer. You go ahead only if the previous one is successful. Very consistent interview process across different interviewers. Mostly case based - 2 cases per interview is a minimum. The cases are usually a stripped down version of a real life case example that the person must have gone through.

Interview Questions
    • Why move from a consulting company to another consulting firm   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Delhi
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2012.

Had to go through number if interviews including a technical test.

It is very difficult to negotiate. They have set range of salary defined.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gurgaon, Haryana
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Hiring and interview process is very structured and planned
    There are 2-3 case interviews - one has to don them very well
    Finally an HR round but that is a formality

No negotiation. Position and compensation are fixed for a role

Research Analyst - Global Advantage Practice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gurgaon, Haryana
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2012.

A telephonic HR interview, followed by a face-to-face interview and a telephonic interview with a Manager (based in Belgium). There might be more rounds in the process but can't comment. The position was put on hold abruptly during my interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the market size of a particular Indian sweet in Delhi   View Answer
    • If you are to set up an automobile plant in an Indian state, what all factors would you look at?   View Answer

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

1. CV screening
    2. First round: numerical test + online case test + 1 case study interview (with Principal)
    3. Second round: 2 case study interviews (both with Consultants)
    4. Final round: 3 case study interviews (with 2 Senior Partners and 1 Principal)

The company was incredibly professional and very impressive in the way they conducted the hiring and interview process. Their HR team was stellar and everyone in the firm was very friendly. They made a potentially stressful situation become an enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions
    • All the cases were challenging but incredibly fun to solve. Perhaps the toughest question asked was regarding a recent project they had completed for the 2012 London Olympics. The objective of the case was to propose how to handle the increased traffic in the city centre with the influx of tourists, while also making sure that the tourists left the Olympics with a positive impression of London.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. The firm offered me a great package that they and I felt I was worth.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Applied in the summer recruitment campaign, where there are fewer job roles on offer, and I assume fewer interview spots are given. CV and cover letter sent online, received an email inviting to interview within a couple of weeks. All interviews took place at the London office (which is really nice!).

First round:
    - Numerical test, very similar to GMAT numerical questions. The questions aren't that difficult, but the time pressure makes this quite tough.
    - Case study on laptop, multiple choice questions based on a fictional case. Most of these are about drawing info from graphs and tables, and doing longer calculations than in the numerical test. Tough to prepare, just go and give it a shot.
    - 1 x interview with Project Leader. Standard format, 15 minutes personal experience questions talking about motivation and past experience. 20 minutes case interview. 5-10 minutes questions for the interviewer. If you've prepared well enough for case style interviewing, then the case won't surprise. I found that I was given a lot of detail, seeing the root of the problem was quite difficult, and there were many factors to think about. The cases were usually based on a real project that the interviewer had worked on previously, so they know the case inside out! In the first round, I was given a falling profits/market share case.
    NOTE: I was told that getting through to the second round is based on your performance in the case interview and CV/cover letter. The test results are used to discriminate between Maybe candidates.

Second round:
    - 2 x Project leader/Principal interviews. Exactly the same format as in the first round.

Final round:
    - 3 x Partner interviews. Same format again, although one of my interviews was almost completely calculations based, I found this really tough. Partners definitely expect you to lead the case more, they don't seem to give much guidance along the way - they want you to own the business problem like a real consultant would.

Notes:
    I was told that the hiring decision is not based purely on your final round performance. Partners do consider the feedback from interviewers in the previous rounds. I've interviewed at a few top consulting firms, and BCG interviewers stood out for how friendly and welcoming they were. When you're answering the personal experience questions, you get a real sense that the interviewer is genuinely interested in getting to know you properly. The recruiting staff are incredibly welcoming and helpful, they really calmed my nerves in the waiting room, and were quick to respond with a decision. Partners give their decision on the same day.

Top tip:
    When you're planning your kick off or doing calculations, get it all down on paper, it really helps you communicate your line of thinking. Make some recommendations at the end of your case before you're asked to. Really try to own the case and lead it, treat the interviewer as a real client, don't expect them to guide you along.

Interview Questions
    • Your manager has told you that you'll be starting a project in industry X next week, but he doesn't know any more details. How would you start researching the industry, what things would you look at?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. After providing me with a description of the job, she interviewed me over the phone. She then scheduled an interview for me with someone in HR. Neither interview was complicated, just basic fit questions, resume walk-through, etc. The first in-person interview was more difficult and in two parts. First, I had to complete a 45 minute skill assessment that involved researching Proctor & Gamble, their top 3-5 competitors, and bench-marking them in a fictional report. It was straightforward, and they provided you with the information they wanted to find. The second part of the interview involved two associates who talked through a case about the pencil industry in Nigeria with me to analyze my thought process. They were both fairly friendly and engaging. When I got called in for the final round, however, I was given a stress interview by one person. She asked how I would analyze the cosmetics market in a particular country in Eastern Europe. In a stress interview, the interviewer acts critical, disinterested, and even condescending to assess your reaction to pressure, so I highly recommend preparing for that. I didn't expect it in an interview for a research position, and I think I was too thrown off and intimidated to get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would you analyze to create a report on the cosmetics industry in Ukraine, and what order of importance would you rank them in?   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!