Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bangalore

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

Interview Details There were 2-3 rounds of presentations made by team coming down from BCG to the campus. Initial resume submission, followed by a shortlisting of candidates. This is followed up by a dinner with few consultants and partners. Finally, 2 to 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews are conducted based on case-interviews & few HR type of questions.

Interview Question – Why would you choose BCG over Mc Kinsey?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied for the summer associate in greater China area and got an interview in their Chicago office. There is only one round with three separate case interviews. One is in Chinese, the other two are in English. The first case is about online game companies, the second one is a market sizing problem, and the third one is about a plant growing some stuff for pharmaceutical companies.

Interview Question – This is my first management consulting interview, I didn't expect the market sizing problem as a whole case.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Interview Details Extensive interview process focusing on fit/experience, as well as problem-solving and communication. These are tested through a fit-style interview and case-interview respectively. My suggestions would be to prepare for both the fit interview and case interview components with similar rigor. It is easy to focus on cases, but even if you nail the case you aren't an attractive candidate if they can't see themselves being stuck on a plane with you.

Interview Question – Why do you want to do consulting, BCG specifically?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little room for negotiation.

Summer Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online via website, took a month for them to contact me back (deadlines were very late January this year), but once I got a first round the second round was three days later and I got an offer that evening.

Interview Question – Difficult cases, very numbers focused   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details Applied online, got invited for an interview a week after the deadline.

Interview Question – One time you did something with no supervision   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details After on-campus networking sessions, the next step was to apply via my campus career center for an on-campus interview. The first round, they interviewed around 100 candidates on-campus, with a relatively small fraction moving onto second-rounds at each native office. The first-round consisted of two 45-minute interviews, with about 10-15 minutes of fit and a case for each. The second round was a similar format at the BCG office in my city of choice, but the cases were generally more involved, with the case given to me by the Partner being significantly more challenging and quantitative.

Interview Question – Explain to me how the situation that we have reached in this case is game theoretical, and how you would choose the best option.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Summer Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details On campus recruiting with an info session, case prep workshop, online application. On-campus first round interview.

Interview Question – The math was actually unexpectedly straightforward   Answer Question

Summer Associate

Interview Details I interviewed on campus and then had a final round at the office I applied to. The guys I interviewed with were great, with tons of interesting experiences and insights about a career in consulting.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you as a leader had to prove yourself   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details They are super nice. They guide you through the case and make you feel very welcome.

Interview Question – There were standard question and nothing too difficult. I just botched up because it was my first ever case interview :(   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied through my college, so the process was relatively straightforward. After about a week, I received an invitation to first-round interviews. The interview process is exactly what you should expect from consulting. BCG favors more interviewee-led interviews, so definitely be prepared to drive your case from beginning to end.

Interview Question – One of the cases opened with a description that profits were down, but revenue was slightly up and costs were stable. It was an overly misleading description by the interviewer. He meant that cost/item was stable, and that overall costs increased, but it was terribly unclear even after clarifying questions.   View Answer

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!