Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions

Updated 17 Oct 2014
Updated 17 Oct 2014

2.6

Civil/Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by an all-expense paid for on-site interview. I was expected to have a 10 minute presentation ready for the on-site interview. After the on-site interview an offer was to be made approximately 1-2 weeks later.

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

I met them at the career fair, and was invited back for a interview and info session.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you didn't get a long with a team member and what was the result   Answer Question

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Very comfortable, conversation-type interview.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in December 2013.

I received a phone call to set up a phone interview with a HR representative. This phone interview was nothing to strenuous. Basically expect the typical HR questions that allow them to gauge your interests and where you would like to be within the company. Following this interview, I was contacted by a group with a location that they believed fit me the best. An on-site interview was scheduled. This interview wasn't so typical. First, you go out to lunch with a couple of younger guys to essentially break the ice. Following this, you give a presentation on yourself and how your past experiences apply to the position. Lastly, you are asked several questions in regards to your resume - again, nothing too strenuous. Overall an easy interview process if you can get over giving a presentation.

Environmental Scientist/Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in November 2013.

Three round interview, beginning with a very formulaic and predictable interview with a Human Resources representative in Kansas City (headquarters). Second was a phone interview with the project team, all mid to upper-level professionals in my field. Questions were mostly regarding my qualifications, knowledge of relevant subject matter, and my expectations for the position. Third was an in-person interview with four separate groups of people, including a mixed-level group of engineers who clearly were at a loss for productive questions and upper level management. I did not meet any members of the project team from my second interview, and the process seemed disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • What are your expectations for the environmental consulting industry in general? What do entry level people do?   View Answer

Assistant Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2013.

I applied through my university's career center. I only submitted my resume online and did not attend the information center. For reference, I am a Masters student.
    The interview was pretty easy with normal questions. Here are several questions I remember.
    - Tell me about yourself.
    - Explain some of your engineering tasks.
    - What are some of the things you like about our company?
    - Which of our services interest you the most?
    - What are you looking for in a job?
    - Talk about some of things you've learned as a leader.
    - What are some non-engineering things you've been involved in?
    - Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
    - Do you have any other interviews scheduled?

At the end, he discussed the available opportunities for mechanical engineers and wanted to see which locations and tasks would interest me most. Lastly, have 3-4 questions ready to ask after you're done.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

First interview was on campus and the recruiter asked a list of HR type questions. Second interview was at Burns & McDonnell with the VP for the division. I gave a 10 minute presentation to him and then we precede to talk about the usual question. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What kind of work do you want to do here? etc. They didn't ask anything real technical.

Interview Questions

I choose to take a job with another smaller firm. I felt that with the smaller firm you really get to know everyone and it is a little more relaxed. On a side note after I declined, the HR representative sent me a rather rude and unprofessional email. I did wait to inform them till the last day on their offer, however this is no excuse. I would not recommend working here.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE (US)

On campus interview. Interviewers are very enthusiastic and say nothing but positive things during the interview. They ask about leadership and experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, but you've got to show them some experience and answer the typical gamut of interview questions competently.   Answer Question

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2013.

Hiring process was fast! Applied in the morning and received a call that afternoon. Then had phone interview the next week then interview a week and a half after that. I had to give a presentation about me which was a nice structured interview that you controlled. Then sat down with hiring manager and had an easy conversation about the company. Then went to lunch with some engineers my age and that was about it.

Interview Questions
    • They asked several questions after the presentation and during. I am not sure which I would consider difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    Didn't really negotiate as it is an entry level position. Solid offer though just make sure you factor in the benefits of bonuses and the ESOP plan.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

The company took only a couple days to reach out to me and schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview, they wanted to interview me in person at their Chicago office about two weeks later. After the on-site interview, they extended an offer within days--all in all, the whole hiring process was very fast, only about 3-4 weeks.

Phone Interview: Very easy. It's with HR, and so it's very much an opportunity to simply introduce yourself, explain your background, and give them an idea if you're a potential employee. Don't expect anything technical, the HR just talks about the company.

On-site Interview: Laid back, conversational. A lot of attention is placed on your 20 minute self presentation. If you do a good job at explaining your coursework, your work experience, and your values, then there should be plenty to talk about. After your presentation, you get the chance to sit and talk with the individual teams (in my case, one interview with the Generation group and one with the Transmission/Distribution group). Don't be surprised when they ask you conversational questions like what your hobbies are, or whether or not you'll live in downtown. On the technical side, they don't expect anyone to be technically prepared for their kind of work since it's very non-theoretical, so don't expect any technical "quiz" questions.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you had to exhibit patience/humility when dealing with someone.   View Answer
    Salary was non-negotiable.