Cambridge Associates, LLC

Getting the Interview

36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details Everyone was exceptionally nice throughout the process. I could tell all of the Consulting Associates I interviewed with genuinely like the firm and have all enjoyed their time there. The recruiter was also really helpful and nice, even when turning me down.

Interview Question – Nothing was that unexpected--all pretty standard interview questions for a fin services firm.   Answer Question

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied and was given a first-round interview through on-campus recruiting. The interview was 1-on-1 and lasted for about half an hour, mostly behavorial-type questions about why I was interested in the job, as well as some questions about experiences on my resume. Towards the end of the interview, I was given a simple chart and asked to provide an recommendation to a fictional client based on data in the graph. Very straight-forward. I was offered a spot in a full day final interview in the company's Boston office, but I declined.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in being a Consulting Associate?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details There were two interviews, the first is a basic 30 minute screen and then a second super-day interview which consisted of four 30 minute interviews. Overall the technical questions were relatively easy especially if you have a business/finance background.

One major critique, their HR recruiters for this role are pretty lost in the weeds and do not respond to emails or calls. They agreed to reimburse me $300 for travel expenses for the super day, it has been seven weeks and I still have not been paid back. I even Fedexed HR another copy of my expenses and they ignored it. Also, when I finally heard back from HR they told me that I was qualified and they would have made an offer but they had already extended all offers for the class and that they kept interviewing until all offers were extended. I am a bit annoyed that they wasted my time and especially because I did so much prep work all with no chance from the beginning. This is a company with a great reputation and I would have really liked to work there, however treating candidates in this way is unacceptable and unfair.

Interview Question – Know about sharpe ratio, correlation and Standard Deviation. Also, there is a basic case study during the super day & a two minute presentation   Answer Question

Consulting Associate

Interview Details Applied through a college interview consortium. Went to a hotel with a lot of other college students and was interviewed in a large conference room with many other interviews occurring for other companies, etc. Interview was mostly behavioral, and it seemed as if they were looking for someone to do menial tasks rather than anything that required critical abilities.

Interview Question – Was asked about the Sharpe Ratio.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2013.

Interview Details The first interview was a 1:1 that consisted of a fit section and quick graph analysis (if you can extract the important details from a graph you'll be fine). The second interview was held at the company site in Boston. There were 5 parts: two fit, two "cases" and a 1-on-1 lunch. The first fit was very standard -- you basically walk through your resume. The second part was just answering "why Cambridge Associates". The cases weren't your standard management consulting case; they were more tailored to the specific kind of work you would be doing as a CA.

Interview Question – Why Cambridge Associates?   Answer Question

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2010.

Interview Details 1. 30min phone interview to ascertain your interest in investment consulting and Cambridge Associates
2. In-office interviews comprising of a case study, and interviews with members of the consulting associate team
3. In-office interviews with other members of consulting associate team and investment consultant
4. In-office interviews with one or two investment consultants

Interview Question – How does the optimal number of managers differ for different types of asset classes and what does it depend on?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable.

Interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Interview Details First had an on campus interview at my university and then an on site interview with the firm. Whole process took about 2.5 weeks from the first interview to hearing back after the second round. The on site interview consisted of 2 30 min and 2 45 min interviews.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, had to talk through a few cases, but that was about it.   Answer Question

Charlottesville, VA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details I applied via my University's career services. About a week later, CA reached out to me saying they'd like to interview me on Grounds. The first round interview is relatively short at 30 minutes and not very technical. They asked the typical behavioral questions such as why do you want to go into financial consulting, why CA specifically, and they asked a basic portfolio theory question at the end.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was why CA. The why financial consulting was easy bc it's a job between i-banking and strategy consulting and provides a good balance, but I'm not even aware of competing financial consulting firms.   View Answer

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in August 2009.

Interview Details This was a standard interview with some exercises to test basic investment knowledge. The interview is composed of 5 meetings with current CA team.

Interview Question – Nothing stood out.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Interview Details Applied through campus career center. Half-hour on-campus interview, followed by interview day in Boston office that I declined. The interview was a few standard questions (Why Cambridge, why investment consulting) followed by a brief case study. The interviewer was very friendly and laid-back. Personality fit definitely seemed to be a focus.

Interview Question – The case study was pretty simple, just a risk/return graph with different hypothetical managers graphed. The goal was to determine which manager should be replaced (i.e., lowest return/risk ratio).   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cambridge Associates, LLC Associate Consultant interview questions and advice. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cambridge Associates, LLC employees and interview candidates.