Cambridge Associates, LLC

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated 12 Dec 2014
Updated 12 Dec 2014

Investment Consultant Interview

Applied through campus recruiting- first interview was on campus and had short case component but mostly resume based. Second interview was super day format at their office, with four resume interviews and a more difficult case component.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

I applied online and was contacted within a few days by the hiring manager who requested to schedule a phone interview with me that week. The phone interview was approximately 15 minutes long, most questions were conventional where he asked me to talk about myself and my experiences. At the end of the phone call I was asked to come into the office for multiple second round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important factor regarding customer service?   Answer Question
    • What do you think you need to improve most in an office environment?   Answer Question

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

After applying online, the HR arranged for a quick phone interview, and I was invited for the second interview lasting for around 3 hours. The phone interview was just to go through the resume and asked some questions regarding expected pay, why Cambridge, etc. The second interview was more comprehensive, and involved a case study, and interviews with 3 other individuals. The case study requires you to ask questions on how to execute a certain change in a client's portfolio and to reflect them in a flash report. Subsequently, you would be asked to present the flash report to the manager, and you would be evaluated on your logic and organizational skills. The other two interviewers would be going through the usual interview questions such as strengths and weaknesses, what do you think the job entails, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I would think the most difficult part would be the case study. Be sure to read up on what does the role require you to do, and the other roles of the other parties that you would be liaising with, such as the investment consultants and MSG. You would need to know how each parties work, in order to come up with the questions and the report plan.   Answer Question

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Sent in an online application and they got back in around 2 weeks. The HR lady arranged for a telephone interview first and after some selection, they will invite you to their office for 2 rounds of interviews. The first round is about 2 hours with 30 minutes as an introduction to the company and the role. After that, you will be seated in a room and a senior associate or manager will interview you for about 30 to 40 mins. Then there will be a round table discussion with 2 members of the team. They ask around the same questions. If you get selected, you will be invited for the second round of interviews. Questions are also quite repetitive.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you for the motivation behind applying for the job.   Answer Question

Junior Associate MIG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Pleasantly surprised by the quickness and professionalism of HR. Submitted application over the weekend, contacted over the phone the following week. After phone screen, immediately invited for open house interview a week from the phone call.

In-person interview consisted of 30-40 min presentation with other candidates and a Q&A, followed by three 30-min interviews. Two interviews with HR, and one with an Assistant Manager. All three interviews mostly consisted of behavior questions, along with a peppering of What/When/How from your resume.

The posts here on Glassdoor, especially ones that include questions, are ridiculously accurate. No questions were asked of me that were not covered by the reviews, so kudos to all of you contributing. Just to reiterate, I was asked about directly, or variations of, the following questions: greatest weakness, why I chose my school/major, preferred working style, how to deal with seemingly boring/mundane tasks, definition of great client/customer service, etc.

Lots of young professionals - I was surprised not to see anyone who looks over 30 in the building. Generally, interviewers were very calm, not intimidating, and almost friendly but not quite there. All were very detached both in their presence and their attention to what I was saying. The interviews were very clinical - there was more priority on jotting down what I was saying rather then directly engaging with my answers. Not critically important, but the interviewers appeared somewhat disheveled, as if they sprinted up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. I am not sure if this was random or speaks about the work-life balance; it did however make the group of candidates stand out sharply in comparison, but I am sure we felt more confident(we were all wearing suits).

From the questions that I asked the interviewers, I gathered that the guiding priority for filling this position is stability and continuity of the department- i.e. someone who will not try to jump ship for another department (back-office to front-office transitions = highly discouraged). This was brought up twice by different interviewers - take that as you will. The double whammy was that vertical growth is severely limited in this department - around to years before the end of the line. The icing on the cake is that this position offers little transferable hard skills - it is mostly data entry (from spreadsheets to database) into proprietary software (i.e. no one else uses it or cares about it), and making sure that it is correct.

Junior Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Advise pay attention and take notes during the presentation and memorize the mission statement. It will be asked in the interview. I would also suggest to take the morning interview time slot. If you take the afternoon one, you will begin the day with lunch. I feel that lunch is a best to finish the interview rather than beginning it.

Private Equity Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

I had my initial interview call with HR which as I understand from others on Glasssoor is standard protocol. I applied directly through CA's website and was contacted by HR a week later for the call.

Interview Questions
    • The bulk of the questions were around my resume and asking why I chose to join or leave a particular firm.

They also asked why I was interested to join CA and also where I saw myself down in a few years.

View Answer

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Applied through campus career website after attending an information session. Was invited for a first round interview at a neighboring school. The first round interview was with one current Investment Associate and was about 30 mins long. It was very casual and easy. Mostly talked about our alma mater and why I chose the school and my work experience (resume based stuff). Then 5 mins was a 'case study' which is basically a graph question and is extremely easy if you are comfortable with graphs. Afterwards I was invited for a second round interview at the Boston office. The super-day consisted of 4 30-45 minute interviews and then I was taken out to lunch by a current Investment Associate. The first interview was resume-based with a few scenarios, the second was an extensive investment consulting case study in which you have to give a 2 min presentation, the third was a role-playing case study and the fourth was more of a debriefing casual interview. Overall I enjoyed the process however it took 4 weeks for them to get back to me after the final round interview. I had two other offers and pushed for an answer at which time they told me I was not chosen for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is a sharpe ratio? How would you allocate X's funds in different types of investments...etc.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Went in for a "superday" like they have at many different places in the financial world. Met with 6 or 7 people - most were very nice and asked arbitrary questions about my resume and background. I was asked to present my case interview and drilled with questions - some that I could answer and some that I was unable to. The point of this was to get me out of my comfort zone. Be prepared for this.

Interview Questions
    • Plenty of very specific questions regarding parts of my case study - some that I could not have known the answers to.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

I had a two part processes with an on-campus interview followed by a super interview consisting of 4 interviews. The entire process was quick and after my first interview the recruiter contacted me within 3 days. The interview on campus was mostly resume based questions and pretty typical as far as job interviews go. The super day was pretty long and had many more in-depth and behavior questions.

CA offers candidates traveling 100-500 miles up to $300 reimbursement and those travelling 500+ miles $600 reimbursement for the super interview day, so keep your receipts.

Interview Questions
    • What drives you most - fear of failure or love of success?   Answer Question