Cambridge Associates, LLC

Engaged Employer

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Interview

Went in for a "superday" like they have at many different places in the financial world. Met with 6 or 7 people - most were very nice and asked arbitrary questions about my resume and background. I was asked to present my case interview and drilled with questions - some that I could answer and some that I was unable to. The point of this was to get me out of my comfort zone. Be prepared for this.

Interview Questions

• Plenty of very specific questions regarding parts of my case study - some that I could not have known the answers to.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Interview

They did on campus recruiting. Started with a mostly behavioral interview along with a small mini case study that you work through with the interviewer. Next, you are asked to apply through their website and then invited to their super day. This is a three to four hour process with two full case studies and four total interviews.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by Super Day at their office. 4 interviews. 1 is resume based, 2 are cases, and the final one is why CA. After the 4 interviews, they take you out to lunch.

CA was extremely unprofessional throughout the interview process. I was asked for references and CA never contacted them. Additionally, I emailed HR multiple times to get an update on a decision, which was promised by early November. When they did finally reply in December, they unsurprisingly declined to give me an offer.

Junior Associate Manager Information Group Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA (US)).

Interview

The process took about a week. It began with a phone interview about a month after they received my resume at a career fair. I was asked to come up to NOVA for the 1st round interviews. They 1st give you an hour presentation about the company which you should pay attention to. They also outline benefits such as discounted gym memberships, opportunities for further education, and examples of ways that people have moved up in the company. The interviews are 30 minutes each in round robin fashion and the questions were somewhat repetitive although not difficult. I heard back within a couple days, was invited back for the final round, and was told which of the 4 subgroups I would be interviewing for as well as the manager's name.

The interviews for the final round were round robin again. There were two of us, me and one other candidate who I recognized from the first round of interviews. You also have to draft an email, but its nothing difficult. They show you the computer system and how it works. At the end they give you a chance to talk more candidly with some of the people currently doing the job you are applying for. It would have been nice to have this opportunity at the beginning, but oh well.

The most frustrating aspect of the interview was the manager I was supposed to interview with wasn't there as he had to travel. We had a quick phone conversation but I never met face to face with the guy who (I take it) made the final hiring decision which I thought was indicative of how the company values associates in this position. It was also puzzling that they emphasized how great the position is if you want to learn about finance even if you are not a finance major, but then told me that my greatest weakness as a candidate was that I wanted to learn about finance... As my desire to learn rendered me incapable of following directions for something as simple as putting data into a computer line by line and sending more or less form emails to investment managers.

Otherwise it looked like a great place to work and although the pay is low (43,000 I think) the benefits were good and the atmosphere was very friendly and collegiate.

Interview Questions

• Questions are mostly predictable, they ask you to rate yourself on a variety of factors. I felt that they focused more on asking about your weaknesses than about your strengths. Be prepared to answer this tactfully.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

Applying though my school job portal and receive the interview opportunity couple of weeks later. interview with head/director, they're pretty nice people, very pleasant and professional. Return the outcome couple of weeks later

Associated Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

A series of phone interviews followed by an interview in Boston. Phone interviews were composed of very general questions (Why Cambridge Associates? Why are you interested in consulting? etc.). During the real interview I met with three different people. Each one asked a series of questions (about portfolio theory, my goals/aspirations). The business atmosphere was very professional. Seems like a very rewarding company to work for.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe the stock market to somebody who understood nothing about it?   Answer Question

Junior Operation Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Interview

first: phone screen (questions: why CA, how to cooperate with others. Casual questions); second: face to face interview (1.director presentation; 2.two round interviews with different team leaders). This position may need more communication skills since the data collection work require the associate to contact the specific investment manager, which is kind of like the representative of CA.

Junior Investment Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Singapore (Singapore)) in August 2014.

Interview

- Applied online
    - Received email in about 1-2 weeks time from application (REALLY FAST)
    - Arranged for phone interview/phone screen
    - Basic walk-through of resume
    - Tell me more about yourself
    - Why do you want to work in CA?
    - Where do you see yourself in 5 Years?
    - Tell me about a time when you took on a leadership role?
    - Interviewer was friendly throughout

Interview Questions

• - Phone interview was pretty easy and interviewer doing the phone interview/phone screen was really friendly   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in August 2014.

Interview

The phone interview was very straightforward and basic - the recruiter asked me to go through my resume and asked the unavoidable "tell me about yourself" question. The goal here was to be able to relate each experience on your resume back to the responsibilities of the Junior Associate position.

I was invited back to the 2nd round, which was the Open House. There was an hour-long presentation on the company and how the MIG fit into the company. Pay attention during the presentation to learn more about the company and the position. After the presentation, there were three 30 minute, back to back, interviews with managers/assistant managers of various teams. It's important to ask for water between interviews, especially because it's easy to strain your throat when talking to so many people. Finally, there was a quick wrap up session.

Within a day or two, I received a call saying that I was invited back to the final round, where I had a transparency session and went through a demo of what I would be doing if I got the position. After the transparency session, I went through a 30 min interview with another manager I hadn't met previously, followed by a more informal round-table with 2 current associates, a writing test, and 2 more interviews: 45 min with the director of the teams/my team manager, and 30 min with the assistant manager/who would be my direct supervisor.

Unfortunately, I was told that while they appreciated my experience and positive attitude, they were looking to "go in another direction". I received the call in 1 business day, though I was told the decision would take 1-2 business days.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most uninteresting part of the job and how will you handle that?   Answer Question

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Singapore (Singapore)) in August 2014.

Interview

Few rounds of interview. Good that they had a company introduction at the start of the interviews. Case study was helpful in letting you have an idea of the real job you will be working on.