CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

There are multiple interviews. One phone interview, an in person interview and then the final in person interview is with multiple people from multiple departments within the store location. That final interview will take at least 4 hours of your day, so be prepared to be there for a while if you reach that point in the process

Interview Questions
    • Describe an experience where you had to make an sale to an unsatisfied customer   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in September 2014.

It was pretty standard stuff. Just past experience. The job is entry level, porting cars around the lot. Seems like you can get promoted if you put time into it and do good work. You answer situational questions with at least two different managers. And then there's the computer portion that basic asks if you do drugs or steal. They said they would let me know in a week. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you used leadership in a past job.   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time when you dealt with an angry customer and how you handled it   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Can you say over kill? I've held several government and military positions all of which required security clearance. Let me tell you that's nothing compared to what CarMax asks of their applicant's. Wow. Phone interviews, several face to face, personality tests, background checks I've never even heard of! These people take themselves VERY seriously. Honestly the only people I can imagine being that systematic about recruiting "new members" is some kind of organized crime group?

Interview Questions
    • Same questions worded differently over and over and over again.   View Answer

Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Laurel, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at CarMax.

phone interview followed by a series of panel interviews with behavioral based questions. Had 2 panel interviews with regional teams and additional interviews at the store level with the senior team. Process included a role play exercise and review of P&L document to gauge understanding.

Interview Questions
    salary and vacation was negotiable

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

First step is an online analytical test. Think SAT questions. It was pretty easy.
    Second step is a phone interview that lasted around 45 min. Some easy behavioral questions about your interest in the position and your experiences in work and school. Series of related questions at the end were a mix of a brainteaser and a case.
    Third step is a super-day. There is one business case, a few behavioral interviews, and a tricky brainteaser (variation of the secretary question), as well as lunch with members of the team and a tour of the facility.

Interview Questions
    • Secretary question. Its easy to look up online. You have to understand the logic of the question, not just memorize the answer   Answer Question

Automotive Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in July 2011.

Star based interview questions. They ask several scenarios and experience you have had to understand your thought pattern. Several interviews in a row. They offer you the job on the spot and if you accept you take the drug test on the spot. If you are not offered a job on the spot it's very likely you didn't get the job. Still possible you may get an offer so don't blow it there but don't get your hopes up.

Interview Questions
    They have a set pay scale just like the vehicle prices. There is no negotiating the offer. Take it or leave. Every tech at each level makes the same amount, whether you've been there 1 day or 5 years.

Inventory Associate/Off-Lot Coordinator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in July 2010.

The process was well thought through. In order that the right person was selected for the job, several interviews were conducted. Both people involved in the process were actively involved. Every aspect of the job was covered and questions were answered to the best of the people involved.

Interview Questions
    • The relationship between your prior work experience and the job opportunity you were seeking.   Answer Question
    The offer was standard and company mandated.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in June 2014.

Basic interview process. Standard questions.

Then a strong online assessment. Must have a strong business acumen and customer focus minded to answer the questions correctly.

They got back to me fairly quickly after the initial application. Phone screening, interview with the LGM then another with the district SM.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to improve the performance of an individual or a group. How did you do this. What was the result?   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate a sign on bonus. It wasn't easy though. They held firm on the base salary.

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in August 2014.

I filled out the application online and a week or so later they called me to schedule phone interview. I felt that the phone interview went very well (mostly behavioral questions) because they immediately wanted to schedule an in person interview a few days later. When I arrived I was instructed to fill out info on a computer for background checks and answer a few screening questions (criminal history, employment history, etc). After that I waited for the managers interviewing me.

Once they were ready we introduced ourselves and went into an office for the interview. I was surprised at how young they both were and the lead interviewer was one of those people who's so completely dedicated to the company that it's a bit frightening. Anyways they ask more behavioral questions and overall I felt that I answered them just as well as I had on the previous interview. When we were done they said they had to step out for a minute and would be back. They returned a few minutes later to say that they had a more interviews taking place throughout the week but that I should expect to hear from the recruiter after that. The next morning I received an e-mail stating that I didn't get the job.

I really can't figure out where I went wrong. I have many years of customer service experience, offered firm handshakes, dressed professionally, was friendly to everyone in the store while I was waiting, basically everything that you're supposed to do. Clearly they couldn't have had the time to interview more people between my interview and the email. I really wish I knew the reason.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when had to make a quick decision?"   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in April 2011.

3 interviews. asked a lot of name a time when questions. Also had to take a filing test. interviewed by Managers and HR Manager. Applied online
      the Associate recommended me. was offer position by last interview. Starting pay. take test to increase pay. Also had to take a filing test. drug test. etc

Job was offered. Starting pay

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!