CarMax Interview Questions

Updated 26 Mar 2015
Updated 26 Mar 2015

Service Consultant/Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Conducted two separate interviews, panel style (two or three interviewers), professional style questions asked during interview. Grand opening store so everyone seemed excited about the store opening. Explained company core values and where the company was projected to go in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me a time when your manager or teacher had you doing something you disagreed with? How did you accomplish the task?   Answer Question
    None

Buyer's Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Longest and most unprofessional interview I've ever gone through.
    Arrived 10 minutes early.
    Waited for 30 minutes for HR to come out and start.
    Took a questionnaire, "have I killed anyone," etc.
    Verified my resume information.
    Waited 30 minutes for Buyer's manager to come interview me.
    He asked poor situational questions. "What would you do if...?" Common sense answers.
    Waited for another 30 minutes for the department manager to come out.
    He asked random questions about my past work experience. "What did you do at...?"
    I asked some questions.
    Interview complete.
    I spent over 2 1/2 hours for this interview and the vast majority of the time was spent waiting. I've had plenty of interview and I have never been jerked around this much. I got an offer the next week but declined for two reasons. I could never work at a company that did that to their employees and the pay was horrid for the work.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

The interview process was very long. I was at the hiring center for over 6 hours. There was long waits to use the computers to take the online assessment portion. Person to person interviews were fun. Managers were engaging, personable, and honest. The online personality test was tedious. Several of the questions asked the same thing in different ways to try and trick you.

Strategy Analyst Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied through Campus website, reached out to me a month later. Had a 25 minute math based assessment followed by a 35 minute phone interview with behavioral and quantitative questions. Moving on to the final round next week.

Interview Questions
    • A math-based case question. Takes some logical reasoning, but not very difficult.   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Be prepared to spend the majority of your day at the interview. It involves an online assessment to evaluate the candidate as a right fit for Carmax. The first interview is similar to a preliminary screening. Some positions require a emulation after that interview. The second (assuming you make it) will be follow up questions that the first interviewer was not totally satisfied with. The third (should you have one) is normally an interview with a senior manager. This will normally mean you are good to go. You will take a drug test on site.

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CarMax.

The process took 2 weeks. I applied through campus recruiting services. I was given a phone call to schedule an interview soon after. I scheduled an interview on campus. It was a 30 minute interview mixed with behavioral questions and two basic math problems.

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview process is long and can take a few hours if you are doing well in the interviews. Questionnaire in the beginning is typical for large corporations. Apply online this is the twentieth century! Basic questions for interviews just answer them and don't try to fake an answer and be genuine.

Service Manager Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied on LinkedIn. Recruiter calls a few days later. Basic questions on background, then immediately tells me she's convinced I'm her guy. I then interview with an HR rep, who in conclusion tells me she going to set up my on site face to face. 4 hours in the center with a dept. manager then Ops manager, took an assessment. Was then set up to meet with RVP 3 hours away. 1.5 hour interview with RVP and HR. RVP talks about my training and how I can come home on the weekends..... Then.... Immediately states "ok, well, we have others in the pipeline, so we'll be in touch!". I knew I was done, and mind you I've Ben unemployed for 5 months and they put me through all this? (Downsized not fired). Basically there is only 1 sole question hat means hiring you or not. "Can you live out of a van, and wander from state to state, city to city, on a dimes notice, your whole caccareer

Interview Questions
    • STAR method all about employee engagement and customer service. Also about talent management.   View Answer

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

It took almost 4 weeks. The interviewer was nice and talked about his own experience in CarMax. The first 20 mins asked a few behavior questions and followed by a business case. The math was not hard but I didn't think I answered the second one correctly.

Interview Questions
    • Why CarMax? Why this role? Tell me how you solved an analystic problem in the past?   Answer Question

CarMax IT Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CarMax in March 2015.

It started with an oncampus interview. The interviewer was really nice and personable. About 2 days later got a phone call from recruiter about on-site interview. Few weeks later I went to visit their office and it was great. The recruiter and interviewers were nice and welcoming. I got an offer within another week.

Interview Questions
    • Standard behavioral questions like how do you handle conflicts, what do you do if you strongly disagree with your boss, does your resume entirely reflects who you are etc.

Technical: Basic SQL questions like select, insert, delete etc