CarMax

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated 24 Nov 2014
Updated 24 Nov 2014

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

applied online, received a phone call a few days later. Group interview, asks the group to tell us about ourselves and why we want to be a sales representative. Toured around the facility, and said would call those who had prospects back

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Doral, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Doral, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

Application was done on line and a call was received after a few months. Interview was really easy, nothing to sweat about. Very straight forward question - If you have been at any job field, it is hard to believe the silly questions the at the interview.

Interview Questions

I was forced to go back 3 times for their incompetence for not gathering the necessary information at the time I was getting hire. Then, a few phone calls followed after that and a personal visit to the store where nobody knew anything about I was talking about. At the end, I was excited to obtain the offer; however, I was misled when I was told by one of the managers that they would work with my schedule from another part time job I have. So, I decided to withdraw myself from this opportunity after all the issues confronted during and after the interview.

I still think Carmax is a great company but the Doral location is very disorganized.

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

Very thorough interview questions lots of behavioral questions so be prepared to have some specific situations in mind. Phone interview about 4 questions and got a face to face. Got on the computer was asked a few questions. Didn't take very long, if you don't answer the questions wrong. Talked with 3 different managers and got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you overcame a difficult and frustrating work experience?   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied for a job as a Strategy Analyst and got an email the next day asking to take an assessment. I took the assessment and after about 2 or 3 questions, I just gave up after a while and clicked my way to the end.

Interview Questions
    • The assessment was absolutely insane. Who does that and why would companies put people through that?   View Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

The actual process went pretty smooth. I applied back in October not expecting to hear anything back because of previous experience applying with them. Randomly I recieved a phone call from the manager assistant asking me if I was still interested and was wondering if I would want to set up a phone interview for the next day. I then had my phone I interview and when I passed that I had an in store interview. When I first arrived I had to fill out some paperwork and do an online assessment. This assessment asked me questions about crimes which not. I did this with the same person that set up my phone interview. After waiting for about 15 minutes I intervied with a manger and was asked a series of behavioral questions and typical why do you want to work here questions. Then I was interviewed by another manager in the same department and was asked another series of behavioral questions. Then the two managers went and talked for about 15 minutes and then I was offered the job. It was very nice the whole entire process but it did take longer than normal interviews so just be prepared.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate the pay seemed fair for the job.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Three interviews so do your homework and be able to think quick. You will be interviewed by managers from different departments therefore once again do your homework on the position you are applying for.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation because it was a commission position.

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in November 2014.

First interview was on campus, took about an hour and included behavioral questions and a case. The interviewer stressed how great benefits are at the company. Second interview was similar to the first but over the phone. The cases were a little tricky but more like math problems than your traditional business cases.

Interview Questions
    • Tricky question about expected values of investing in land where a bridge may be built.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate for internship salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in November 2014.

I didn't even go into the store, my interview was over the phone. A few days later I got an email that said I didn't get the job. She also said that the job was based off of only commission. I didn't like that. Over all I wasn't too bummed that I didn't get the job.

Automotive Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in November 2014.

long. met with three managers. none had nothing to do with service department. and knew nothing about the service side of a dealership, thought it funny I was hiring in for service and never met the service mngr. they wanted ASE certified technician. but they only hired the general service guys that had no certifications at all. I am still scratching my head. I don't think they have any idea what they are doing when it comes to service side of the industry

Interview Questions
    • none. pretty bland. nothing about experience or certifications, thought that was strange.   View Answer

Sales Consultant Interview

I arrived on time was introduced to one of the manager,took a basic background check in the computer after that the same person asking a few questions.
    Good atmosphere and the interview very professional.
    If I get or not the job first impression was great.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how do you get a customer into a specific car.   Answer Question