Chegg

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Content Market Analyst Interview

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Chegg in January 2014.

Interview Details I had 2 phone interviews followed by an in person interview. When I was brought in I was interviewed by 2 colleagues, the HR manager and the Director. The interview process was in 2 weeks. It was weird because they rushed my interview process through then waited a few more days until they told me they cancelled the position.

Interview Question – If you had 5 slides to present to executives how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chegg in January 2011.

Interview Details Phone screen and on site interview. One day. Sr. manager asked a technical question. VP asked a technical question. Met with design team.

Interview Question – Mostly user experience coding test. Was not that difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Stated my desired salary, was offered 5k less.

Data Engineer Interview

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Chegg in February 2013.

Interview Details I was referred by an employee, I already know about the hiring manager thru a connection. I was directly asked to come for in-person interview after discussion with recruiter. I met 3 folks including the hiring manager. First 2 was cool more like a discussion. Third was the team lead, it went well initially but I was asked to write code for a simple problem. But I wasn't prepared and I was stumped. I can sense that it didn't went well. I also did some mistakes like not explaining my thought process etc.,

Interview Question – Here are the questions.
1. How will you run shell script on remote server
2. Different SQL ways of getting time spent info from call lag data (lead-lag query)
3. Data modeling for high volume click stream data
4. Write a program to find the value for the given key from a file containing key-value pairs
  Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Chegg in March 2012.

Interview Details 3 rounds of telephonic interview. Each around 30-60 mins

Interview Question – good questions   Answer Question

Sourcing Interview

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chegg in April 2010.

Interview Details I interviewed for a temp-to-hire position to manually source books. The job description that I was initially given was vague, but the 5 people who interviewed me helped to clarify a clearer picture of my function. All my interviewers were future teammates/ leads and it was clear by the 3rd or 4th person that my evaluation was more focused on whether I'd get along with the team. Overall I'd say the process was not too intimidating (aided by the fact that none of the interviewers looked older than 25), and the questions I asked were fairly straightforward. I was assessed on my skills on how to communicate with vendors and customers. The interview questions turned out to be quite relevant to the job once I started.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness and how would you work to overcome it when it affects your performance?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing was negotiated - I was informed of my hourly wage. For someone fresh out of college, securing a job and being given the opportunity to start your career somewhere is key. Negotiation should only be done if a. there's any indication that the wages are flexible and/or b. you're skilled and specialized in the position you're looking for.

Human Resources Role Interview

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Chegg in July 2009.

Interview Details Was referred by an investor to the company. A phone screen followed by an interview 2 days later. Met with members of the leadership team and the CEO/Co-Founder...from whom I could tell right away that I was not what he had in mind. Typical startup: the interviews started late, ran late, and the interviewers did not seem to know what they wanted -- or rather, they only wanted what they had previously decided would be a match. Had to follow-up with the CFO once or twice before he sent an email: "We've decided on another candidate."

Interview Question – Nothing stood out...   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Santa Clara, CA (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at Chegg in January 2010.

Interview Details Went through two 1 hour phone interviews with management. The onsite interview consisted of meeting with half a dozen managers and a few individual contributers. The overall process was fairly average but due to being interviewed during the busy season some of the interviewers I spoke to ended their discussion abruptly. They will ask you to whiteboard process/code so be prepared to do that. Typical "start-up" culture. The management layer is extremely impressive - they are effectively the leaders in this industry segment in the Silicon Valley.

Interview Questions

Interaction Designer Interview

Sunnyvale, CA (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at Chegg in March 2009.

Interview Details The fist contact was over the phone. The phone screening was brief, since they were in a crunch time and need someone ASAP. It was followed by an onsite interview with several people. I met with 4 different individuals and groups of people. It was mostly discussion about what I've done before and how would I address their particular situations or problems they encounter daily. They were very positive and engaged during all of our conversations. However, a day after they emailed me saying that they selected someone else. I believe the they saw me more of a visual designer that interaction one.

Interview Question – How would I resolve a design related dispute between two of my prodicers.   View Answer

Operations Lead Interview

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chegg in June 2009.

Interview Details Everything felt chaotic and out of control, especially the interview process. For both interview rounds, there were no available rooms, which, considering they were about to move to a bigger space, is forgiveable. However, having me come in person and then immediately putting me on a cellphone for a phone interview, is not. What was also disconcerting was that, despite it supposedly being a lead position, I talked to more managers than technical people, especially potential team members. In the end, they either didn't want to pay for experience, or they had preconceived notions about what a team leader must be (someone who wants to fail at sysadminning and become a manager), probably the latter. That this was not dispensed with early on is certainly the fault of the outside headhunter (quest groups).

Interview Question – If salary were not an issue, would you prefer to be a manager or an individual contributor?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Chegg? Contribute to the Community!

Chegg Videos

Chegg – Why Work for Us?

Join us Since 2007, we've been transforming the way millions of students learn by connecting them to the people and tools needed to succeed in college. Students on more than 7,000 campuses nationwide use Chegg for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chegg interview questions and advice in San Jose, CA. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Chegg employees and interview candidates.