Cisco Systems

Getting the Interview

991 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mysore

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2013.

Interview Details The interview process started with the ubiquitous written round. This round had two sections viz technical and aptitude. The aptitude questions were witty and a bit confusing but were solvable. The technical questions were more concentrated on logic design and basic electronics with a bit of networking. There were 50 questions (30 aptitude +20 technical). The selection for the next round was based on some relative cutoff.. Around 250-300 people wrote the first test and 60 of us got selected for the next round. The second round was panel interview which the recruiters started immediately after declaring the results of the first round. My interview was conducted by a 2 member panel. My first round score was good as were my academics scores which aided gain some comfort in the interview. We had to submit the resumes before the interview started. My main subject of interest is networks, so they routed me to a panel which had an interviewer well versed in networks. I told my subjects of interests as networks and OS( operating systems). The panel members grilled me tested my technical knowledge relating to these fields. They asked me some questions on the projects that I had mentioned in my resume.The technical questions ranged from basics to specifics. The interview went on for around 30-35 minutes. I answered most of the questions (about 80-85%) with detailed explanation wherever needed but could not answer some of the questions for which my answer was a plain "I don't know, Sir". After the first round of interviews , they called me again and asked about my final year project and my plans on future studies and career. This lasted for 10-15 minutes after which all of us had to wait for around 3-4 hours meanwhile they completed the interview rounds for all the first round selects. Then there was a casual HR interview. The questions were also casual testing my soft skills.
All these interview processes were carried out on a single day. After all processes and procedures they declared the names of the final selects at 12 in the mid night! They selected 13 people from our college out of them 8 were recruited for software engineering profile ( I was one of them :) ) and others for IT profiles.

Interview Question – 1. How to delete the content of a file without opening the file in linux?
2. How does the transport layer provide secure and reliable communications ? ( I was familiar with those services in Data link layer, so had to extrapolate that knowledge to transport layer )
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you get an offer from a company like Cisco which is the leading giant in Computer networks and you are interested in that field , then my advise is to just accept it without any hiccups or hesitations.

Network Consultant Engineer Interview

Bangalore

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in December 2013.

Interview Details Attended the interview in pool campus.
First round: Written test(20 general aptitude, 30 technical questions)
Second round was technical(Java basics, Routers, OSI model)(30 min)
Third Round was managerial and personal questions were asked about my interests and relevant stuffs(15 min)
Fourth Rround was HR interview(10 min)

Interview Question – questions were easy and straight forward. in technical round he started to go deep into modulation techniques.   Answer Question

Software Engineer
Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2012.

Interview Details There was a telephonic screening round, after which there were 5 rounds of technial rounds.
All of them are around C programming, data structure, networking , and problem solving.

I would say its neither difficult nor easy. In all the rounds there was a puzzle asked.
And datastructure questions involved linked lists and Trees.

Interview Question – None of it was so difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2011.

Interview Details Got a call through a reference from existing cisco employee,
3 rounds of interview process,
round 1 and 2 done by managers regarding the past work experience. Also you can expect few C and data structure questions.
if you clear those two rounds next one will be programming round done by an engineer.
questions like middle of linked list, merging two sorted linked lists. Also basic questions on C and OS

Interview Question – How to free a linked list without using temporary pointer   View Answer

Negotiation Details – i didnt do any negotiation

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details Good interview, felt at ease. Interviewers appeared very friendly and knowledgeable too.

Interview Question – About expectation of a different architecture performance   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much

Intern Interview

Intern
Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in December 2013.

Interview Details we initially had a written test of multiple choice questions- Data Structures, Algorithms, Aptitude, basic Electronics concepts.

A shortlist of 20 out of 150 people was announced. and the interviews commenced thereafter.

I had two rounds of interviews

In my first round-
Code to determine a loop in a singly linked list
explain and provide algorithm for quick sort
basic questions on operating systems
questions based on my resume

The second round entirely focused on Big Data due to my experience in the field.

Interview Question – explaining the nitty-grittys of a Big Data platform   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Fresher Interview

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details Apti test on their campus

Interview Question – electronics, microprocessor etc was also asked...all with very confusing options   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Bangalore

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2013.

Interview Details Cisco Systems visited M.S.Ramaiah Institute of Technology (Bangalore, India) for their university recruitment program. There was a pre- assessment screening based on GPA. About 200 students were eligible after this screening.The actual hiring process consisted of four rounds.
1) Assessment Test
2) Technical Interview
3) Managerial Interview
4) HR Interview

The assessment test was for 50 marks. It contained 50 questions, each carrying one mark and no negative marking. The test contained two sections, aptitude and technical. Aptitude was easy. Technical section tests your basic knowledge on operating systems, compilers, systems software, digital design, programming, networking and electronics. Getting above 35 questions right at this stage is important. Based on the performance in this test, 40 students were selected for further rounds of interview process. Top 20 were selected for their engineering division and other 20 selected for their IT division. I got in engineering.

First round of interview will be technical. This round is very crucial because most of the students get eliminated here. This will be the last chance for students who scored low in first round. Unless we impress the interviewer in this round, chances of getting recruited are very less. The interviewer focused only on basics. He started off by asking me to write prototype of main function. Then asked me how the value returned by main is used by the system. He then wrote a code (based on pointers and strings)) which has a bug and asked me to explain what goes on till the output or error occurs. Here, the interviewer wanted to test my knowledge of pointers, debugging, strings. Then the interviewer wrote a code which had recursive function calls and asked me to explain how system allocates and de-allocates memory and return address mechanism. The interviewer then asked me to write a program to delete n-th node from the end in a singly linked list. He asked me to write efficient code to find the number of nodes in a fully binary tree (i.e., without performing tree traversal). Next, he asked me to write a c macro to find two power n. Finally, he asked me to tell advantages of paging and virtual memory. The interviewer was very helpful and friendly. He gave enough time to think. He was supportive when I was getting struck somewhere. The interview lasted for 45 minutes. Interviewer asking more number of questions and asking you questions on data structures is a good sign.

Second round of interview was taken by manager. Firstly, he explained about his group. He was trying to not only assess my knowledge but also tried to know me. He started off with what i do in my free time, what kind of technical activities i am involved in outside college curriculum. Then he went through my resume and asked me how i used PHP in my internet technologies project. He also asked what i did as a part of google developers group bangalore. Then, he asked me what were my favorite technologies. Next, he asked me to explain what all happens after we enter a URL in the browser till the requested web page is delivered. He wanted to know what happens at all the layers starting from DNS, routing etc... Then he asked me a question which required me to choose an appropriate data structure for an application. He finally asked me to write a code to efficiently reverse a string. This interview was easy and went on for some 40 minutes. Very few people get a second round interview. Unless we perform really bad, chance of getting rejected is less.

The last round, HR was a mere formality. Almost 90% of the people who reached HR were selected. About 8 people reached HR, only one got rejected. HR questions are very simple like why CISCO? where do you see yourself in 5 years? Introduce yourself etc...

Interview Question – Most unexpected question was to write a c macro to find nth power of two .... i never expected anyone to question on macros.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Because I am a fresher, i didn't have any facility to negotiate.

Software Engineer
Bangalore

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2011.

Interview Details Apti/Technical Round
Technical interview - 2 rounds
HR interview (could be telephonic)

Be prepared with Basic C questions. Dont try to over expressive. Interviewers will help you to get the solution. Just be patient.

Written test pattern changes with time. Just Google for the latest pattern. As far as mine was concerned it was a combination of Electronics(Digital)+C lang+Basic Apti ones.

Interview Question – Question on Dummy pointers and also volatile variables.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2013.

Interview Details The interview process begun with me finding one of the requirements matching my profile. Initially, i had my friend over there to refer me. Once my resume got shortlisted, i got a call from HR for telephonic interview.

The telephonic interview was quite easy. He asked me to explain about what i did in my previous company. On top of that he asked me to explain about the usage of "volatile" in C.

After that, i was asked to go to their campus for f2f interviews.

I had 4 rounds of f2f interviews.

In 1st round, i was asked to explain my role in my previous company, and asked few questions based on that. Later few pointer questions, and volatile question again. Went on for half an hour

In 2nd round, all OS concepts, RTOS, priority inversions are asked. And all kinds of linked list questions were asked. program to reverse a list, to add a node to list, delete the node from list, to add a node to the list given a pointer to some node, to find meeting point of 2 linked lists, loop in a list, to multiply a number by 8 without arithmetic operator etc. And he asked me one puzzle too at the end. It went on for an hour

in 3rd round, they questioned me by reading my resume. Asked me about college projects. Then they asked questions on pointers, constant pointers, strings etc. Then bitwise operators, interrupts, signals, signal handling, semaphore, mutex etc. This too went on for an hour

In 4th round,
he asked me about flat memory model. It went on for 20 mins

Interview Question – almost everything was expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i was able to negotiate on grade and joining bonus. i advice to ask for shares too

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cisco Systems

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems interview questions and advice. All 991 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees and interview candidates.