Costco Wholesale Interview Questions

Updated 18 Oct 2014
Updated 18 Oct 2014

2.6

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Brunswick, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Brunswick, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in July 2014.

Sat down in the break room with two employees who asked me for my availability, before heading on to very specific situational questions.

I applied to be a cashier, but they insisted that I consider working in tires or as a gas station attendant.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were misunderstood by a coworker   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to help an angry customer   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had an abrupt change in your schedule, and how you dealt with it   Answer Question
    • Name a time you were recognized in the work place   Answer Question
    • What have you done to prepare for today's interview?   Answer Question

Front End Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

I applied online and called the next day to inquire about open positions. I was told to call back the following Monday and speak to the front end manager. I did so and he asked me to come in that day for an interview. The interview took about 20 minutes. Typical customer service interview questions, nothing unusual. If you have previous customer service or retail experience, you shouldn't have any problems with the interview process. The front end manager that interviewed me said he would offer me the job right there but he thought the merchandising/stocking manager might like to speak with me as my most recent experience was with support in a retail setting. He said if I don't hear from her in a week to give him a call back and he'd make me an offer. Overall a good interview experience!

Interview Questions
    • What did you do to prepare for this interview?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you dealt with an angry customer and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you needed to work with a sense of urgency and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you had to change your shift or schedule at the last minute and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    Nothing negotiated yet. Waiting to hear from the merchandising/stocking manager before the front end manager makes me an official offer. But I was told I'd definitely have a position within the store.

Starting Costco Employee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

So far I've gotten my phone screening to see if I pass initial criteria for the job. It was pretty straightforward. Since I was going on vacation the first time they called they told me to call them back when I got home. I did and we set up for the formal interview.

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Applied online, had an interview within a couple of weeks. Individual interview with two managers, after that, an interview with senior management (Store or assistant store manager) background/drug test and then an offer.

Interview Questions
    I didn't know about salary negotiation at time of interview (young and inexperienced).

Applied for Any Open Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Went in early and forgot the interview managers name. Sat about 30 minutes in the break room before the interview manager came and apologized as there were a lot of people up front that needed help. After interviewing me, I got the rundown of how the base pay is $11.50 and it is not negotiable. He said the job is seasonal and will guarantee that I will work for 20-25 hours a week. After the season, they will reevaluate you and see if your performance matches their charts and see if your seasonal job gets changed to a full part time job offer. Overall I had a great interview. Interviewer was relaxed, and it wasn't the two person tag team interview like the one stated on here, it was just one person, and it was the food court manager. He had an opening in his department and also the meat department. He told me that my next interview will be the assistant GM, but the assistant GM is not available today so he will give me a call later on to schedule me for interview number 2.

Interview Questions
    • No difficulty. All questions were stated on here already. Some question that I got include:

- Why do you want to work at Costco?

-Tell me a time when you made a mistake and what steps did you do to fix this mistake.
        Answer Question

Any Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Be clean cut, cheerful, a strong fan of Costco. Do your research on the company and tell them why you want to work there. Know the code of ethics. Express your willingness to work hard and at any position. Share your skills and desire to learn all about the opportunities available at Costco. Also, express your desire to learn and take advantage of cross training opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle your most difficult work related situation and how did you resolve it? Also know the code of ethics (found on the website)   View Answer

Stocking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

Put an application on their website. Got called for an interview two days later. Interviewed with the general manager and a department manager. Was about fifteen minutes. Basic retail questions. They then told me I would move onto the next interview. Got a call two days later. Interviewed with the warehouse General manager and was offered the job. Did drug test on-site..and waited for the background check.

Interview Questions
    None. Great offer for the work being done.

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Quinta, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Quinta, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

Had my first interview the other day. Everyone was really nice.
    They asked the basic questions; What do you know about Costco? (i watched the Costco documentary for this question lol); What was a time when you delivered excellent customer service?; Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer.; Tell us about a time when you accepted responsibility?
    Of course i was nervous so i rambled :(
    Just walk in with a smile, be confident and I'm sure you'll get a second interview.

Haven't gotten a callback yet, but I'm anxiously waiting.

Interview Questions
    • Probably any question that had to deal with difficult customers because there are so many stories. Just get your stories straight before walking in. Know which are the good ones and which will show your strengths and not your weaknesses.   Answer Question

I S Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Issaquah, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Issaquah, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

1. Apply on Taleo's website.
    2. Wait for recruiters to contact you, or else toss your resume in the digital bit bucket in the sky.
    3. Fill out an email self-appraisal of your skills that are pertinent to the job.
    4. Phone screen with hiring manager and one or more SMEs.
    5. In-person interview (or find out that you won't be getting an on-site interview).
    6. Get hired (or not)

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel is a strength that would help you stand out from the rest of your team? What have you done to cultivate that strength?   Answer Question

Costco Night Stocker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Pretty straight forward. Asked what times I was available and if I could start immediately. Took 2 days. Drug test and got to work the same day. It was only seasonal. There wasn't any difficult interview questions.

No negotiation