Costco Wholesale Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

2.6

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

I submitted an application online, and they called me about a week later to schedule an interview. They were opening a new store, so they had scheduled several hundred people to come into a hotel lobby, come when called, and sit down at one of many tables for the interview itself. I dressed business casual and answered their questions honestly and brightly, so the first phase of my interview went very quickly. I sat down with two managers. They explained the interview process, and I answered about ten questions about my previous experiences before one of them said that he did not need to hear more and would be sending me up to the next step. I then met with a higher level manager, talked with him a bit about my expectations for retail and where I wanted to go with the company. He wrote a few notes about where I might fit in the store then sent me to a drug screening (saliva collection, not urine or anything too messy). I was called back a few days later with a job offer. I accepted, and then it was on to orientation and canvasing training.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a conflict with a coworker and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no real negotiation, because it's an entry-level job and they have a set pay scale.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

Applied online and waited a few days. Walked in store to introduce myself to manager and he told me to come back the next day as it was too busy. When I came back it turned out to be an interview. He and the assistant manager sat down with me at the food court and asked about 20-25 questions. Majority of them were situational ("describe a time when..."). That's what made it tough. They were friendly and assisted with questions I didn't fully understand. I got called for a 2nd interview a couple days later and had a drug test that same day. Overall, average-tough interview but it's worth it in the end! Got offered a seasonal job and eventually was offered a permanent position in the bakery! Great company to work for!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you exhibited teamwork and how it benefited the company.   Answer Question

Operations Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Issaquah, WA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

This interview was short and to the point. I met with the manager, director, and supervisor of this position and they were quite serious but friendly. The interview lasted nearly an hour and I was examined for my excel skills, communication skills, and ability to perform under pressure. Overall, an enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• What changes or potential growth opportunities could I provide for their department.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Houston, TX (US)).

Interview

Applied online and got a call within a week to come in for an interview. The first interview consisted of 2 managers who asked more behavior questions. If the interview goes well, you will then be instructed to take a drug test at lab. Once you pass your drug test you will then be called in for a second interview with the hiring manager who really just goes over your first interview report.

Costco Wholesale Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Spokane, WA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

A general manager and a marketing assistant came on to my college campus and interviewed me for the position. It took about an hour but was very laid back and comfortable. I talked for a lot of the time about my experiences. They gave a significant amount of time for me to ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a conflict with a fellow employee?   Answer Question

Front End Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR (US)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale (Salem, OR (US)).

Interview

I had 2 employees and 1 trainee interview me. we sat down in a back room and they briefly told me about the interview process, then one asked questions while the other wrote down my answers. After the interview they said we got more interviews to take and we will contact you by the end of the week about your status.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you resolved it?

Why do you want to work for Costco?

Tell us about a mistake you made?

Answer Question

Costco Night Stocker Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

Applied online and received a call the following week. Interview was in the warehouse and consisted of a few customer service questions and any experience related to job. The final decision on the position was made the following day and was working the next week. Easy interview...just demonstrate your ability to work as a team and give your best effort.

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Called in many times in order to get the the initial manager to talk to me in person. Than had a more extensive over the phone interview with the manager. Than ended up having an in person interview with 2 managers in the warehouse. The questions were pretty much all behavioral as the job does not require too much technical background. Just being honest with the managers is the best way to go. As they are looking for people that fit with Costco and with its culture. Process took about 3 weeks.

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant), Etc Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Eugene, OR (US)).

Interview

I successfully interviewed for FE Assistant as a college student and had multiple interviews within the company during my six years there. First-time hires require three interviews, but two of those take place concurrently. So for my first, I was interviewed by two supervisors, then for the so-called third interview (my second time going in) I was interviewed by an associate manager and introduced to the store manager.

Interview Questions

• During my first interview they requested, "Talk about yourself for three minutes." (and set an egg timer!)

All interviews I had at Costco were heavily behavior-based. So they didn't ask questions so much as give prompts usually beginning with, "Tell me about a time when…"

For example: when you were challenged, when you faced an ethical dilemma, and so on.

1 Answer

Service Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Folsom, CA (US)).

Interview

Had two interviews. First to go over application and ask basic interview questions. Second interview to offer position if chosen from the first interview. After the preliminary interviews. A background check is performed along with a drug test.

Interview Questions

• How well do you handle fast paced and sometimes stressful situations?   Answer Question