Costco Wholesale Interview Questions

Updated 25 Oct 2014
Updated 25 Oct 2014

2.6

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Brunswick, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Brunswick, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in July 2014.

Sat down in the break room with two employees who asked me for my availability, before heading on to very specific situational questions.

I applied to be a cashier, but they insisted that I consider working in tires or as a gas station attendant.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were misunderstood by a coworker   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to help an angry customer   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had an abrupt change in your schedule, and how you dealt with it   Answer Question
    • Name a time you were recognized in the work place   Answer Question
    • What have you done to prepare for today's interview?   Answer Question

Front End Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

I applied online and called the next day to inquire about open positions. I was told to call back the following Monday and speak to the front end manager. I did so and he asked me to come in that day for an interview. The interview took about 20 minutes. Typical customer service interview questions, nothing unusual. If you have previous customer service or retail experience, you shouldn't have any problems with the interview process. The front end manager that interviewed me said he would offer me the job right there but he thought the merchandising/stocking manager might like to speak with me as my most recent experience was with support in a retail setting. He said if I don't hear from her in a week to give him a call back and he'd make me an offer. Overall a good interview experience!

Interview Questions
    • What did you do to prepare for this interview?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you dealt with an angry customer and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you needed to work with a sense of urgency and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you had to change your shift or schedule at the last minute and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    Nothing negotiated yet. Waiting to hear from the merchandising/stocking manager before the front end manager makes me an official offer. But I was told I'd definitely have a position within the store.

Starting Costco Employee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

So far I've gotten my phone screening to see if I pass initial criteria for the job. It was pretty straightforward. Since I was going on vacation the first time they called they told me to call them back when I got home. I did and we set up for the formal interview.

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Applied online, had an interview within a couple of weeks. Individual interview with two managers, after that, an interview with senior management (Store or assistant store manager) background/drug test and then an offer.

Interview Questions
    I didn't know about salary negotiation at time of interview (young and inexperienced).

Applied for Any Open Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Went in early and forgot the interview managers name. Sat about 30 minutes in the break room before the interview manager came and apologized as there were a lot of people up front that needed help. After interviewing me, I got the rundown of how the base pay is $11.50 and it is not negotiable. He said the job is seasonal and will guarantee that I will work for 20-25 hours a week. After the season, they will reevaluate you and see if your performance matches their charts and see if your seasonal job gets changed to a full part time job offer. Overall I had a great interview. Interviewer was relaxed, and it wasn't the two person tag team interview like the one stated on here, it was just one person, and it was the food court manager. He had an opening in his department and also the meat department. He told me that my next interview will be the assistant GM, but the assistant GM is not available today so he will give me a call later on to schedule me for interview number 2.

Interview Questions
    • No difficulty. All questions were stated on here already. Some question that I got include:

- Why do you want to work at Costco?

-Tell me a time when you made a mistake and what steps did you do to fix this mistake.
        Answer Question

Any Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Be clean cut, cheerful, a strong fan of Costco. Do your research on the company and tell them why you want to work there. Know the code of ethics. Express your willingness to work hard and at any position. Share your skills and desire to learn all about the opportunities available at Costco. Also, express your desire to learn and take advantage of cross training opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle your most difficult work related situation and how did you resolve it? Also know the code of ethics (found on the website)   View Answer

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Quinta, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Quinta, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

Had my first interview the other day. Everyone was really nice.
    They asked the basic questions; What do you know about Costco? (i watched the Costco documentary for this question lol); What was a time when you delivered excellent customer service?; Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer.; Tell us about a time when you accepted responsibility?
    Of course i was nervous so i rambled :(
    Just walk in with a smile, be confident and I'm sure you'll get a second interview.

Haven't gotten a callback yet, but I'm anxiously waiting.

Interview Questions
    • Probably any question that had to deal with difficult customers because there are so many stories. Just get your stories straight before walking in. Know which are the good ones and which will show your strengths and not your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Stocking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

Put an application on their website. Got called for an interview two days later. Interviewed with the general manager and a department manager. Was about fifteen minutes. Basic retail questions. They then told me I would move onto the next interview. Got a call two days later. Interviewed with the warehouse General manager and was offered the job. Did drug test on-site..and waited for the background check.

Interview Questions
    None. Great offer for the work being done.

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS (US)

There were 2 interviews, the first of which I was interviewed by two people. Both of whom were genuine and straight forward. They asked questions about past experiences in retail sales, which I have none and was honest about. They also asked questions to get a sense of how well I deal with interpersonal situations, both positive and negative. The asked for details on my work history and even had a copy of my resume, which was weird to me because it's a stocker job. This made me think they're serious about employee vetting, no matter how large or small the position.

The second interview was with who I assume is the manager of the entire store. She was very direct. Her questions were designed more so to show my own personal work ethic. I answered honestly and openly. She asked how I prepared for the interview. it was not as long as the first and at the end she offered me the job. I passed my drug screen and am now waiting for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • To be honest the first interview came sort of unexpectedly and I was completely unprepared. Every question was difficult because I had to choose and recall details of past experiences on the spot. I was just honest and as professional, didn't try to inflate or boast which I fell they sensed which I why I was given the second interview.   Answer Question

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manahawkin, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manahawkin, NJ (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

It was really fast. Interviewers were very nice and kind. They really liked what I had to say to them to make the process smoother. I hope I get this job!!