Costco Wholesale

Updated 26 Jan 2015
Updated 26 Jan 2015

2.6

Front End Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

I applied online and received a phone call requesting an interview. I arrived on the appointed day and was asked to request certain names for the interview. The person was not there and another person did the interview while someone else sat in and recorded things. The questions were all about experiences I'd had which might make me qualified for work at Costco. Things like "Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult coworker." "Tell us a time when you showed leadership." All of these I found easy to answer because I work well with a story format. There were no trick questions and the interviewer made me feel pretty comfortable.

I received a call later saying they would like to interview me again, and I arrived for my second interview not sure what I was doing or why, but I met the store manager who gave me another interview, which centered tightly around "Why do you want to work for Costco in specific?" "What do you expect to get out of this?" "What are your goals for pursuing this career path?" "Are you planning to try for a supervisory role in our company?"

I got a call a few days later telling me that they were "Interested in moving forward with the hiring process" which was when I was asked to take the drug test and when the results came back from that a week later, they officially offered me the job and assigned me to an orientation day.

Interview Questions
    • I did not get any questions which I regarded as difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

I S Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Issaquah, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Issaquah, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

1. Apply on Taleo's website.
    2. Wait for recruiters to contact you, or else toss your resume in the digital bit bucket in the sky.
    3. Fill out an email self-appraisal of your skills that are pertinent to the job.
    4. Phone screen with hiring manager and one or more SMEs.
    5. In-person interview (or find out that you won't be getting an on-site interview).
    6. Get hired (or not)

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel is a strength that would help you stand out from the rest of your team? What have you done to cultivate that strength?   Answer Question

Costco Night Stocker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Pretty straight forward. Asked what times I was available and if I could start immediately. Took 2 days. Drug test and got to work the same day. It was only seasonal. There wasn't any difficult interview questions.

No negotiation

Seasonal Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2014.

First, I have been a loyal Costco member for over 3 years. I recently applied for a seasonal position at my local Costco. I was called in for an interview and, to be honest, I was taken back by the level of questions in the interview: what is your most memorable work experience, explain a time when you had to work with a disgruntled employee and how you dealt with it, how do you motivate a non-productive employee. I was totally unprepared.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to work with a disgruntled employee and how you dealt with it?   View Answer

Any Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2014.

It was okay overall, I just got interviewed yesterday and there were two people interviewing me. It seemed like a fast interview but they asked the usual typical question. They took turns asking questions. Just make sure you look them in the eyes and don't say "uh" too much like me..

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Van Nuys, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Van Nuys, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2014.

I applied online for a Seasonal Stocker with no experience. I recently graduated high school. I got a call the next day saying I have an interview in a few days. At the day of interview I waited about 30 minutes until a manager called me into a room. I was interviewed by two females. At the beginning of the interview they found out that I can't work late nights because Monday through Thursday I have class so they couldn't hire me. I wish I would've been told earlier.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? (We did not get a chance to get to the more difficult questions.)   Answer Question

Service Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Valley, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Valley, NY (US)

I submitted an online application and then decided to drop in to the Spring Valley store. A manager was there and had a no-show so he interviewed me on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you delivered above-and-beyond job performance.   View Answer

Store was too far from my home.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2014.

I've searched Costco wholesale and interview processes and had read that the first interview was a phone interview. Costco had called me about 2-3 weeks after I submitted an application online. They were hiring for seasonal employees at the time. The call wasn't an interview before. The lady explained to me they were hiring seasonals and they reviewed my application and asked me if I would like to come in for an in-person interview. I said yes, scheduled it and awaited my interview date.
    I went in for my interview. I told the person in the front door and they directed me to the food area and told me that the interviewer would be with me in just a little bit. She told me to go sit at the first table by the ice machine..... There was no ice machine. There was a pop machine. I sat right next to the food area for about 5-10 minutes, then decided to switch to the other end which was by the tires. A man walked by about 3 minutes later asking if I was here for an interview. I said yes and he said that he'll be with me in a few minutes. (He was probably a lead or a supervisor.)
    He came back with the lady that I had spoken to on the phone (I'm not sure if she was a lead, supervisor or just an HR employee). They sat down and explained what they're expecting from me as far as answers go (they want experience related answers, not what-would-you-do answers). The man told me that if he stops me, it means that he's got his answer and that they'll move to the next question. His demeanor was very "let's get this done and over with." The woman didn't seem too interested. She was writing down my answers and sometimes looked at me blankly. They told me they have a bunch of interviews lined up and so maybe that's why they seemed to be so nonchalant.

My total time there was probably about 30 minutes, and the interview was probably only 5-10 minutes tops. They called me back to schedule a second interview. I scheduled a time with them.
    After giving it 2-3 days thought, I became disinterested in the position due to the interviewers' demeanor. I called them back the day of the interview and said that I was no longer able to take the job. The same lady nonchalantly said "okay", said her bye and then hung up.

Interview Questions
    • I don't really remember the questions, but I was asked a lot of"
      Please tell me a time when you....
      The only question I probably remember is "Please tell me a time when you made a mistake and you had to accept the consequences" or something like that.

Answer Question

Unk They Never Told Me Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2014.

basic questions, just tell them that you are customer service driven and competitive. the only other advice is to always check in person not just online. I met a lot of people that only submitted online and that is a mistake.

none, they told me exactly what they would pay and that was that

Night Merch Interview

be yourself, dress professional (it matters), try not to brag, act professional, but a large aspect they look for is for genuine intelligent people, and of course be on time for all three interviews

Interview Questions
    • if I ran the company, what would I look for in an employee   View Answer