Cummins

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Control Engineer Interview

Gainesville, FL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cummins in October 2013.

Interview Details 1. Talked to a recruiter on university's career showcase and was asked to apply online. Received a phone call right after the showcase to schedule an on-campus interview.

2. Had behavior interview on campus. It should be a 2:1 interview, one HR and one engineer. But I was interviewed only by the engineer because the HR went for lunch.
Lasted for 45 mins.

3. Got an email to schedule a phone interview two weeks after the on-campus interview. Interviewed by a control engineer. He tried to get me relaxed by talking about my interests, hobbies for the first several minutes. Then followed by some technical questions. The interviewee tried to dig deep into my answer until I was unable to explain any more.
Lasted for about 1 hour.

4. Received a phone call from Columbus, IN requiring for some personal information. Then contacted the next day providing me two positions to choose from.

Interview Question – Some of the behavioral questions were about:
1) brief self-introduction
2) Explain each experience listed on resume.
3) What if you give you customer wrong information.
4) Handle with several projects at the same time.
4) Have different opinions with your leader.
5) Conflicts with team members/colleagues.

Some of the technical questions were about:
1) What's the difference between classic control and modern control.
2) What's the condition for a system to be stable. What will happen if it gets unstable.
3) Give a rough design of a cruise control system.
4) What is a vector table in microcontroller programming?
5) How does an interrupt work.
6) Describe the way a sensor works in your project.
  View Answers (3)

Columbus, OH (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in September 2013.

Interview Details Got the first round chance on a career fair which they informed me about the behavior interview 1 week later. The behavior interview is 1:1 and the hr is nice. Try to be the first interviewee that day and be expressive.
About 2 weeks after first round, there was a on phone technical interview. Got the offer 3 weeks after that.

Interview Question – Behavioral one: on campus; 1 hour; most questions are easy like how to solve conflict between you and colleague, how to manage your time.
Technical one: on phone; 1 hour; one question is to design a control strategy for a driving car. And also asked me about the most successful and innovative work project I have ever done.
  View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Anaheim, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details The interview process was very simple. Not very technical. The recruiter wants to see if you fit the company culture. The questions are more behavior based. They spend more time explaining the culture of the company and what kind of projects you will work on there including the overall outcome of the internship with them.

Interview Question – What are some of your weaknesses? Steps you take to overcome them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They dont negotiate salary for interns. The salary is based on level schooling and availability of positions in hr.

Control Engineer Interview

Control Engineer
West Lafayette, IN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in September 2012.

Interview Details On campus interview by two very nice Indian engineers

They follow a standard questions sheet which is identical for every interview on that day. Basically they repeat some similar behavior questions three times, such as how you deal with controversial problem or conflict with co-workers. So prepare some different materials for same problem if you can.

The two engineers replied my thank you letter but I didn't hear back from them regarding next step. SInce I only has the contact info from engineers, that won't help much if I cant get in touch with HR.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you FAILED to meet the deadline.
How you deal with a sensitive topic in a public meeting
  Answer Question

Controls Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details Had to undergo an initial HR interview. If selected, I will have to undergo a technical interview via phone and then if selected I will have another round of interviews onsite

Interview Question – How do you settle conflicts?   Answer Question

Controls Engineer

I applied online and the process took 11 months - interviewed at Cummins in August 2011.

Interview Details I was interviewed by a 3rd party company in Jan '11. It was behavioral. Then I did not hear anything from them until August. I had an technical interview with Hiring manager on 25th Aug '11. I did not hear back from them since then. I emailed and called the HR but there was no response. Worst recruiting process I have ever seen.

Interview Questions

Columbus, IN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cummins in October 2011.

Interview Details They came for a university careeer fair where I have a 1:1 interview. Then within a week they took a second round of telephonic interview. Then, I get to know my results within a week of the interview. Most of the questions are behavioral.

Interview Question – Tell us a situation when you had a conflict with the team mates and how do you resolve that?   Answer Question

Columbus, IN (US)

Interview Details Initially, I had an in-person interview with basic HR questions. Two people were present, but only 1 answered questions while the other kept a record of my answers. About a week later, I had a Panel Interview, a little bit more technical in nature. Overall it was a great interviewing process.

Interview Question – How would you develop a Cruise Control system?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Controls Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in October 2011.

Interview Details Applied through College. Had my first round interview in campus at the end of which I was offered the position.

Interview Question – Talk about your Project.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not Negotiable.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cummins

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!

Cummins Videos

Cummins – Why Work for Us?

• Cummins Inc. is a global power leader that designs, manufactures, sells and services diesel engines and related technology globally. • We serve our customers through our network of 500 company-owned and independent… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cummins Control Engineer interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cummins employees and interview candidates.