DIRECTV Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

2.6

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DIRECTV.

First interview was non technical, they wanted to know about you as a person and how you would solve problems that occur in a team. second one was only technical, I talked to IOS developper and an Android developer. Both interviews were through Skype.

Interview Questions
    • Specific details about everything on your resume even if it was done a few years ago   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I was found by a headhunter. Had an interview with human resources, then with my direct boss, and finally with the VP of the area. There were also personality tests and psychological test, but nothing out of the ordinary.

No negotiation

Senior Principal Analyst Interview

Ad hoc , depend on department. You will meet with multiple directors and some architects. Architects have different backgrounds and have different questions for you. Not very technical though only ask common high level questions.

Staff Engineer (Contractor) Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DIRECTV.

The position was applied through 3rd party (Staffing agency). The process took about 2 to 3 weeks. I had phone interview first then on-site interview with other team members. Both interviews were not long. I believe the process has been change since my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Phone Interview question - "How would you test the pen?" Group Interview - "ask to write sample Java code and explain"   Answer Question

Installation Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at DIRECTV.

I applied online and did the virtual job and passed. 2 weeks later received a call from recruiter to see if I was still interested and then was told I was gonna receive a couple phone interviews from three other members of management. After the third interview I was scheduled for a panel interview where I presented myself and my skills of working in the electrical construction field. Then finally was offered the position and scheduled training.

Interview Questions
    • How would I handle a situation of a upset customer.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Very quick hiring process. I received a phone call within 72 hours of submitting my application. One face to face interview with the position being offered at the end of the interview. Typical entry level interview questions. Human Resources rep does a great job laying out the specifics for the position and what is expected of you.

No negotiation.

Installation Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DIRECTV in September 2014.

HR Recruiter hard to get ahold of. Contacted me one week and i had to called 3-5 times a day for a week or so to get in touch with her. But after, Positive and outgoing interviewers. A pleasant and uplifting experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you face and overcame ambiguity   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at DIRECTV in September 2014.

I received an email 2 days after I applied for a phone interview and then got my face to face interview the next day. I got a tour of the building and where everything was and was offered a job at the end.

Interview Questions
    It was simple, no negotiation needed, they made me a great offer.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DIRECTV in August 2014.

I have given interview for a contract position.

Questions asked are:

First round and second round(telephonic)-

Q. how to check processes status
    -ps or ps -f

Q how to copy file to remote system
    -scp(for secure shell connection) and rcp(for remote host)

Q How do you find last modified file?
    - ls -ltr| head -1

Q How to find file which has not been modified in last three days?

Q.About Vi editor
    Q If you type your URL and page shows error what would you do?
    -check internet connection
    -check whether server is up or not

Qhow do you write script in unix/linux
    - i said i will use shebang construct #! /bin/bash then write my commands insequence of execution and function and conditions, then save using .sh extension

Q Difference between inner join and outer join

-QWhat are web services?
    -Qdiff between soap and Rest and when would you which one
    Q What do you test in web services?
    .Qwhat is SOA?
    .Qdifference between delete,drop and truncate
    . Qdiff bet casting and multicasting
    .QExplain your role in your last project and environment
    . Qdiff between test plan and test case
    -QTest exit criteria
    . Qvideo files

Face-to-face interview

4 leads each for half n hr and one test

-commom questions would be
    -tell me abut yourself
    -to explain your projects
    -web services diff between rest , soap and soa
    -waterfall, agile and v model
    -they will ask you to write sql queries
    -how to find 3 days old file using unix/linux command(ask to write on paper)
    -multicasting and casting

4th Lead
    -has asked general questions
    -wud you be comfortable joining a broadcasting company
    - 3 quizz
    -one 7 balls -6 same weight and one heavy
    -bucket 3 gallon and 5 gallon
    -three box apple only, orange only and third box apple and orange both

Test(-40-45 mins)

many ques on unix and linux command

-how to run a shell script
    -how to stop a shell script
    -cron
    -ls
    -grep
    -list commands u know
    -sql query ques
    -list sql commands u know
    -find error in xml using its xsd(xml schema definition)
    -find bugs in a service response
    -write 10 test case for a given scenarios
    -2 brain teasors
        -one was u have 7 balls , 6 same weight and 1 diff weight(heavier) and a beam balance how would you find the heavy ball in least steps(generally they ask for 2)
       - other one has four squares and 4 numbers in each squares and depending on the relation bet numbers in other squares u have to find missing number

Satellite Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Palms, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Palms, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DIRECTV in August 2014.

Initial interview went great and I felt I had a good chance at the position... I completed the drug test and was then contacted to do a physical test well the day of the physical test I was contacted by the backgrounds investigator for some information he ask that I fax over some paperwork regarding the issue on hand so I did and then I completed the physical test... the next day I was contacted again and was informed that I was ineligible for the position... So I went through the entire process and spent money on faxing papers when the whole time he could have advised me of that before I continued on to the physical and not have to fax any paperwork...A complete waste of time and I did not receive any form of reimbursement on my money spent on faxes by his request.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a upset customer?   View Answer