Dillard's Interview Questions

Updated 17 Apr 2015

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

You fill out a questionnaire on a computer. If you pass that part and they are interested in you, you will get a call within a few days and, you will meet with the store manager. The store manager will want to know which area of the store you think you might be interested to work in.

Interview Questions

• The initial questionnaire portion of the interview seemed directed towards a very below average, high school mentality. Nothing difficult about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

If you are placed in a commissioned area, keep your hourly rate at the lowest possible amount. That way if the store is very slow, like in the summer, you won't get fired because you didn't sell enough to cover your draw.

Cosmetics/Fragrance Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dillard's (Orlando, FL (US)).

Interview

A friend referred me to Dillard's. I applied online December 27, 2013. I received a phone call for interview on January 2, 2015. I interviewed on January 5, 2015 with Cosmetics manager and Fragrance manager.

She suggest I start on fragrance department since it had been several years that I worked in cosmetics. She also aid Dillard start new hirers part-time. I was told if I meet or exceed my sales goals, I would be offered a position in cosmetics.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what was my sale numbers in cosmetics at a previous employer? This was difficult because I could not remember my numbers at all. She also ask if I can hustle? They want to know that you are aggressive and can meet your sale goals.   1 Answer

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

The process was fairly easy since I had already been working as a part time sales clerk.
    I interviewed with the area manager at the time and as well as the store manager for the position over the men's area. So it was a within the company advancement opportunity. The process went smoothly and my training began immediately.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dillard's in January 2015.

Interview

I applied by checking the Dillards website for openings in my area. Application process was easy and they called me the next day. The interviewer asked me a lot of questions about my customer service background and how the job works. Dress like you work there is my strongest advice. You want to make a good first impression. She immediately scheduled me for my second interview. For the second interview, I talked to the store manager. He asked me the same questions and told me what Dillards expects from its workers, etc. He made a note of my outfit being what they like to see. So, again, DRESS THE PART. They're really looking for people who are natural conversationalists and are custome-focused. So make sure you turn up the charm. He told me what my pay and hours would be and that they're going to schedule me for training the next week. So it'll take you two interviews but as long as you reach the second interview, you should be golden. Second interview felt like more of a formality and going over your previous answers to make sure you're the one they want.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The negotiation was pretty straightforward and they like to treat their employees very well. So the pay rate was at the top end of my expectations.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dillard's in January 2015.

Interview

3 interviews. Second was over the phone with Estée Lauder since I would be working for Origins owned by Estée Lauder. That was the most difficult interview. Deep questions that required thought you had to answer on the spot basically.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very little negotiation about .50 cents an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

They ask you to sit and fill out the job application on the spot. Then an assistant manager will interview you. If you pass that interview, someone else will interview you and then you will have to take a personality test and pass it, and then you're hired. It's always good to be prepared when you come to apply. Dress appropriately .

Interview Questions

• Do you know what a quota is?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I took what they offered.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Interview

1st interview held with Cosmetics Manager, second held with Operations Manager. Extremely easy. Once background check clears, you are offered a position and given a start date. Full-time positions have to be approved by the CEO and it takes a week for a response. You're normally brought on part-time until everything is approved.

Interview Questions

• Do you consider yourself an aggressive competitive sales person?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Yes, you can negotiate. ALWAYS check the salaries on glassdoor for the position you are applying for.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dillard's (Little Rock, AR (US)).

Interview

The interview gave a brief overview of the company along with a short tour of their office. The questions were your basic average interview questions. They weren't too technical. The job was described well, and it was what I expected.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know why I chose this position based on my background.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary and vacation can be negotiated if you have the experience.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

I only was able to do the one interview due to schedule issues. The interview was going well until she told me I was required to work on the weekends. On my applications, I put work for Monday through Friday from the morning until the afternoon. Therefore I was unable to do the second interview. The interview was more like a pitch on what the job consisted of and if I was willing to do it. I wish they had more consideration on the times put in the application. I was told I would be started as part time but would get 18 of my hours on Saturday and Sunday. It seemed like the interview was less about me and more about the rules of the job. It was a bit strange but honestly if I did not have a scheduling conflict for the weekends, I would have gone to the second audition. The people I met were very kind.

Interview Questions

• There were very few questions asked honestly. The problem was with scheduling.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

I applied in person which consisted of me filling out their online application on one of their office computers. The application asks for typical information - education, past experience, etc. However there are several tests following and a survey. The survey focuses on getting to know you as a person/potential employee and asks you to rate your response to numerous statements (i.e. I feel it is important to help co-workers - must select answer ranging from strongly disagree to strongly agree). The tests are timed and ask a variety of questions (some math-related, and others selecting which word is least similar to the others, matching, etc. - reminded me of standardized school tests - it isn't especially hard but isn't super simple either.. my approach was to answer as many as possible in the time allotted so I skipped around and didn't get hung up on a question for too long).

Interview Questions

• I was not expecting the timed tests that followed the online application.   Answer Question