Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated 17 Sep 2014

3.1

Staff Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

The selection process began with an informal discussion with the India Editor. I was asked about my previous employment and the reasons why I was keen on joining Dow Jones Newswires. He also asked me questions why would I prefer to join a newswire as it is very technical and based on templates. There were also personal questions on family background and future aspirations. This was followed by a three-hour long written test. The test was designed to test my basic math, news judgement, editing and writing also ethics. The news judgment section included headlines and I was asked to state how would the news headlines affect the market. The headlines included the death of the US Fed Chairman , A terror attack etc. The writing and editing questions were technical with conflicting statements and data. I was supposed to edit it and also leave notes for the reporter. The ethics section had questions on my sourcing abilities and would I rely on market rumours to report or flash a headline. The final stage was an offer letter which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was why do i chose to apply for a newswire. Most of the people join journalism as they find they have a knack of writing and storytelling. A newswire, unlike other media streams, relies on preparing in advance, making templates for a faster turnaround of stories. I found the question unexpected. If I were to be asked why Dow Jones Newswires, it would be an easy standard reply but the reason for joining a newswire was tough. I was thinking on my feet and replied that a newswire apart from a better paying job also has a stress on subject knowledge and precision. As a journalist, it would not only help me get a deeper insight in the subject, but I would be a better skilled professional.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2008.

There were 2 rounds of Interview.

Interview Questions
    Yes I was able to negotiate

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Got the call about a couple of months after I applied for the position online. Swift phone interview, followed by a face-to-face interview and written test. A month or so later, got a call with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How I would integrate a group or a team with individuals from various countries and backgrounds and get the best out of them.   View Answer
    OK. Not much wriggle room for pay negotiation.

Research Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Submitted application online and was contacted by a recruiter about 1 week later to set up a phone interview. Had an informal talk with the recruiter about the position, stuff on my resume, etc. At the end of the interview she said she'd like to set up a phone interview with the team. Had the phone interview with the team 2 weeks later and at the end they invited me for an in person interview at the office. I went to the office interview 1 week later. This interview consisted of an in person interview with 2 members of the team where they asked basic questions about my background and why I was interested in the position. There was then a written test with a research assignment. Offered the position one week later.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you better qualified than the other applicants?   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a week later. I interviewed with the recruiter for about 25 minutes and she set up a phone interview with the appropriate people for the following week. My phone interview seemed to go well and at the end, they asked if I would be willing or able to come into their office for an in-person interview in the next week or two. I said yes and they said they would be in touch. It's been 4+ weeks now and not a word. No response to my email from their recruiter either. While I recognize that HR employees are busy, it's unprofessional to leave candidates hanging for weeks without any update. A 'no' is always appreciated over silence. I know it's an employers market out there right now but being disrespectful to your candidates reflects poorly on the company and will hinder your ability in the future to attract top talent.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were pretty typical, nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Casual and short, met future boss and dotted line boss

Easy, there was not much room for negotiating

Front End Web Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

I had applied for a different position and spoken with the recruiter on the phone. That position didn't come through, but the recruiter called me weeks later about another position. They quickly set up a phone interview with the hiring manager, which went well. I was called in the next week for a personal interview with the recruiter and then with a team member. The team member asked several specific technical questions and explained that it was not for specific answers but so that they could see how I thought through to a solution.

Interview Questions
    • How to find the cause of a slow page load in a web site, focusing on all avenues to rule out specific bottlenecks and response lags.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was easy, but the verification and background check took weeks.

Human Resources Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dow Jones.

Phone Interview went well--asked basic questions. Then was offered a digital interview.

Ad Layout Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in February 2014.

Applied for the position and I received an email for an interview 3 days later. I went for the interview that week and it seemed to go really well. I had to go through security but all that went smoothly. We talked for about an hour about what the job would include and he showed me examples of the work I would be doing. I was confident and showed interest in the position. He never told me one bad thing or inferred in any way that I wouldn't be a good fit. He even told me that he had only one other person to interview for the position and that he would be making a decision next week. Sadly, I did not receive a phone call offering me the position so I called the HR department at the end of the following week to find out that I did not get offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • He didn't really ask me any questions. It was more of an hour long conversation about the position. I had a bunch of questions prepared that kept the conversations flowing.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Be able to show your prospecting skills, cold calling, social networking, etc.

Interview Questions
    Accepted good starting salary.