DriveTime Automotive Group

Updated 9 Dec 2014
Updated 9 Dec 2014

2.2

Sales Advisor Interview

the interview process is so easy and simple, you don't have to do 10 interviews in order to get the job like other companies, no need for math, science and biology test
    they call you back even if you have not been selected.
    HR follow up with you and they are so friendly

Interview Questions
    • there is no difficult question, the interview went smooth and easy   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in November 2014.

Received a phone call from recruiter about resume I had submitted, after brief phone interview she said she would like for me to meet with the managers at the location. She told me the kind of questions to expect and how I should be sure to research the company. My interview was a day later, a Friday. I met with two gentleman who were very friendly from the beginning-they gave me quick tour of the location then off to the office for the official interview. The interview was good, they explained the day to day functions of the position and asked questions about my previous work experience and what I knew about the company. They wanted to know about areas I would like to improve on and what is my strongest trait that I could bring to the company. Then I met with another manager who was very laid back, he asked why did I want to work for DriveTime and ask about my weakness. After that I was lead out to the work floor, where I would be working to sit with someone for 30 mins. After that I was briefly introduced to the Director. I interviewed with the company on a Friday and heard back by Monday.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Just know about company and be confident...show them that you have confidence and be very friendly.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Senior Manager Interview

interviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in October 2014.

HR found my resume and left me a voice mail (but did not state the open position). He later emailed the job description. When I called back, he seemed very inexperienced. "Cool, cool. So what did you like about the job description?" I have been a part of laid back, creative, matrix organizations as well as stiff, corporate ones. This was like talking to a fresh college grad. I learned the position had "senior" in the title but carried broad junior responsibilities as well as a 20% salary cut for me. Plus, it reported to someone whose related experience can be summed up by a few years as a "specialist" in a non-corporate environment. But, sincere kudos to DriveTime for giving employees opportunities from within. I mean that. After reviewing DriveTime, this appears to be a successful company and a great culture to work in if you are a junior employee, looking to learn role-related duties and advance into a DriveTime title you can then leverage elsewhere. If you have held actual senior roles at other companies, have broader business knowledge or global experience in your discipline, I am making the assumption that this is not for you. I returned their call just to confirm my suspicions and stated this would not be a good fit for either party before parting ways.

Interview Questions
    • "Cool, cool. So what did you like about the job description?"   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in October 2014.

Very lax and I think their decision was made right when I walked in. 2 person interview and one always seemed distracted looking out the window waving to coworkers. I felt discouraged from the get go since the other interviewer gave the feel that they weren't interested in what I was saying

Interview Questions
    • Explain you, if you prepared for this interview then tell us the one answer you planned knocking out of the park   Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in October 2014.

It was pretty flowing and comfortable. I had good opportunity to give information about myself along with learning about the company. I was able to learn about the training process time along with what DriveTime is about.

It was pretty relaxed and satisfactory.

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in September 2014.

Applied to posting online. Received a call about 1 week later from a recruiter. I was asked behavioral questions and the process took about 30 minutes. At the end of the phone interview, the recruiter scheduled me with the Manager of the store a few days later. The manager sat and asked general question, mainly about why Drivetime? There was no structure to the Manager's questions, it was as if he was unprepared for the interview. I had a second interview with a Market Manager. The Market manager asked background question, but again, no structure. About a week later, I received an email stating that they decided to go with another candidate and would keep my application on file for six months. I believe that had already decided on the new hire prior to my appointment. Most of the staff looked like kids fresh out of college.

Interview Questions
    • What have you heard about working at DriveTime? Would you have problems with working a 50-60 hour workweek?   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in August 2014.

I applied online over the weekend and was contacted by a recruiter the following Tuesday. We set an interview for the next day. The phone screen was relatively brief compared to others I've done but that may have been due to the fact I was coming from a very similar job. The in-person portion was very relaxed and comfortable. Much more of a conversation than a question/answer session. It felt very real and made the company even more appealing. Both interviewers were extremely personable. The process from beginning to the job offer was about an hour and a half.

Interview Questions
    • There were very few actual questions. "What do you like most and least about your current position?"   Answer Question
    Don't be afraid of your experience. They seemed to appreciate the straight forward approach to the compensation discussion. I said, "I understand the position pays $xx. I currently make $xx. What do you think is fair?" And so on.

Operations Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in August 2014.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter who found my resume on CareerBuilder; after I spoke on the phone with my recruiter, she set me up with the General Manager at the dealership closest to me. I actually didn't get the position I was interviewing for (sales), but the GM and my recruiter worked together to find a position in the dealership for me to get me some more experience before I move to the sales floor. I have been in the Operations position since I started in August and I couldn't be happier. I am so glad that my GM didn't just tell me no, but wanted to find the best fit for me.

Interview Questions
    • I really don't remember much of the interview, but I do remember that it was only about 15 minutes and it was a pretty standard sales interview.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate since I am new to the car sales industry, and it is more than I was making at my previous job.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in August 2014.

Was contacted late Thur afternoon by an internal recruiter that I had a hard time understanding because of accent. Set up a phone screen for Friday afternoon with the VP of IT and their most senior admin/engineer. Call when well was asked to come in for in-person the following Monday. Was scheduled for a 2 hour meeting. got on site, talked with the VP for about 5 min, he was dressed in cargo shorts and a polo top. 2 senior admins came in and we talked for 50 minutes or so about all the different things they were doing, basically the position was "everything, and other duties as assigned". The network admin position is just a generic title as you'll be doing networking, windows/nix, virtualization, san, exchange, etc. They said they create a lot of side businesses to get every penny out of the sale of a car, so you have to always be ready to connect domains and spin up entire sites over the weekend. Those 2 left and had a 10min wait for 2 more lower level admins to come in and talk. talked with them for about 45min, both of them agreed that their input had 0% relevance to my being hired and didn't understand why they were there. That lasted for 45 min, they left and VP came back in. Said he would be in touch early the following week. Time for follow-up came and went, I sent and email asked for an update, about 1 and a half weeks later I heard back with standard turn down letter.

Loan Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in July 2014.

Applied online, contacted by a recruited 2 days later. 30 minute phone conversation covering previous experience, career goals, and the opportunity with DriveTime. Interview set up for the next day. Interviewed by one individual, who told me he would decide if I would talk to another individual, and then they would make a decision that day. Neither of these guys was a direct supervisor, which is awesome. Both had come up through the ranks at DriveTime, been there an average of a dozen years and loved their job. I think its great not to interviewed by a direct supervisor, this is a company that clearly wants to develop talent and promote from within. Even their interview process shows this.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly I don't recall there being difficult questions. Myself I am not great with very open ended questions, but some people are. There were no STAR questions, it was a lot more like - tell me about yourself, your goals, and how you fit in here with DriveTime. The whole interview felt pretty informal, open, and friendly. I was first asked, "tell me who you are - personally and professionally."   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate for the starting hourly pay. Since I had no experience in a call center, or in the world of collections, I felt it was a good offer. However, after I left the recruiter called me and said they wanted to offer me more money. That is excellent.