Duff & Phelps

Updated 6 Nov 2014
Updated 6 Nov 2014

3.1

Valuation Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duff & Phelps.

The process was very fast for the first round interview. The interview itself was only 30 minutes and on campus. I got the interview through a career fair. It was mostly conversational with a few technical questions regarding valuation methods and techniques...mostly DCF model.

Interview Questions
    • Starting with income statement how would you come up with the value for Cash on the balance sheet?   Answer Question

Valuation Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2014.

One on one interview, the guy was mostly reading off of a script with questions. The interviewer did not even work in the same department that I was interviewing for. Took about a week to get the first interview and another week to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of technical financial questions: Cost of equity, WACC, Beta. A bunch of generic questions such as teamwork and ethical questions.   Answer Question

Strategic Value Advisory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2014.

first round interview on campus, 45 min. Most behavioral questions (tell me about a situation ...) The technical question is about probability, expected value etc.
    After a week, went to Palo Alto office for a super day. 4 back-to-back 45 min interviews, one of them is a technical interview, the question is about basic probability. Others are behavioral similar to the first round.

Valuation Analyst Interview

Applied through campus recruiting and heard back over a week. I actually interviewed with this firm twice before. Last year they did not hire anybody in the LA office so I'd say they really hire based off need. Interviewer was very friend and it consisted of a mix between behavioral and technical questions. Nothing too difficult unless you don't know your valuation.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through a DCF model.
      How do you get cost of capital?
      What is EBITDA?

Basic valuation questions so know your methodologies!
        Answer Question

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Quick. Interviewers were not asking difficult questions. A more centralized interview process would/does vet out poor candidates. Rather than constantly looking for quality talent, they wait until people leave and then realize that their choices are not ideal.

They beat another offer I had

Valuation Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

I applied online. After exactly one week, I received correspondence from their HR for a phone interview. The interview was scheduled 2 weeks after I received the correspondence. During the interview, I was asked to tell a little about myself, and they asked questions about what classes I like the most and least and specific questions from my resume.

Valuation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duff & Phelps.

applied through school portal & interviewed on campus, was called back for a second round. Mostly fit questions to see how you fit into the company.

Valuation Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

I was called for a phone interview and asked a few behavioral questions, but most of the questions were fairly simple technical/ conceptual questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describing Fundamental analysis, market analysis, how to get FCF and what is CAPM.   Answer Question

Valuation Analyst Interview

It took them a very long time to initiate the phone interview. The interviewer seemed bored when he interviewed me, and the so-called "technical questions" were quite silly.

Interview Questions
    • What is an example of a time when you had trouble working in a team?   Answer Question

Analyst, Corporate Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in April 2014.

Recruiter came to my school. Talked to him, sent my resume over to him. Within in two weeks they contacted me, saying they wanted to setup a phone interview with me. After two weeks of them postponing the initial interview it finally happened. They even contacted at like 10 on a Saturday night to postpone. The VP was very casual in his style interview. Nothing really crazy, but I prepared for all the complicated stuff and the simple accounting questions ended up doing me in.

1. If you have negative net income can you still be CF positive?
    2. How do you go about valuing a company?
    3. Tell me about yourself.
    4. Ability/willingness to work long hours.
    5. Have you used Capital IQ
    Not in that order.

Interview Questions
    • If your working capital ratio is 15%, while the rest of your competitors is around 12%. What can you do to lower your working capital?   Answer Question