Duke University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Updated Jul 17, 2014

2.6

Director International Projects Interview

applied the job from posting. first round of on-site met with direct supervisors and other people who would work with the candidate. Second round on-site met with other people in the school.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Duke University in January 2013.

You must talk to many, many people. The higher your expected position the more people you talk to. Expect to come in for multiple interviews (3 or more). Process is very slow.

Interview Questions
    • Just standard interview questions. Nothing designed to trick you.   Answer Question
    Non-existent. Take it or leave it.

ECE MS Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Duke University in February 2014.

1point3acres.com there is more info about the questions they asked. The questions to each candidate is approximately the same. No tech questions.
    Get you webcam working. The speed cannot be slow. And you cannot answer the questions as recited.

Interview Questions
    • The questions to each candidate is approximately the same. No tech questions.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   View Answer

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Duke University in February 2013.

I came across the position through Dukelist which is the online classifieds page for Duke. I emailed the lady who posted it with my resumé and she got back to me the next day to set up the interview. The interview was conducted over skype as I was not able to visit the office (I wasn't in the state). I was interviewed by two people, one would be my supervisor and the other was a colleague of hers. I heard back from them a week later with the offer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty much standard, I was applying for an assistantship which had a very specific job description, so they asked a few scenario questions. They also placed a lot of emphasis on teamwork and asked for a lot of examples on that.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, the salary was standard & was posted in the job listing.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

The process began with a phone screen, then an in person interview with the hiring manager, the team that the particular role would be a part of, and the person who was facilitating the search. Overall, the process was good, and I never questioned where I stood in the process. They were clear about informing me what would happen next as well as the time frame that it would happen in.

Interview Questions
    • There was no extremely difficult question or one that I didn't expect.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Duke University in January 2014.

Talked to a professor and asked for TA, since I got a great grade in his class, he recommended me to another professor to be the TA. The hiring process took a month and a half, which is ridiculous. But after that I can fill in online timecard which is very convenient.

Duke Service Learning Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Duke University in August 2013.

The hiring process for the SLA (service learning assistant) position was very quick and painless. The supervisor was very well-organized.

Interview Questions
    I was offered a salary slightly higher than the base wage rate due to my past experience working with undergraduate students.

Campus Sustainability Fellow Interview

Application and in -person interview with Director of Environmental Sustainability

Interview Questions
    • Describe climate change to a fourth grade student in three sentences   Answer Question
    No Negotiation

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

2 interviews, one phone and one onsite

no negotiation

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!