Duke University

60 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Staff Assistant Interview

Durham, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

Interview Details I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Question – Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   View Answer

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Duke University in February 2013.

Interview Details I came across the position through Dukelist which is the online classifieds page for Duke. I emailed the lady who posted it with my resumé and she got back to me the next day to set up the interview. The interview was conducted over skype as I was not able to visit the office (I wasn't in the state). I was interviewed by two people, one would be my supervisor and the other was a colleague of hers. I heard back from them a week later with the offer.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty much standard, I was applying for an assistantship which had a very specific job description, so they asked a few scenario questions. They also placed a lot of emphasis on teamwork and asked for a lot of examples on that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, the salary was standard & was posted in the job listing.

Account Manager Interview

Durham, NC (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

Interview Details The process began with a phone screen, then an in person interview with the hiring manager, the team that the particular role would be a part of, and the person who was facilitating the search. Overall, the process was good, and I never questioned where I stood in the process. They were clear about informing me what would happen next as well as the time frame that it would happen in.

Interview Question – There was no extremely difficult question or one that I didn't expect.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Teaching Assistant Interview

Durham, NC (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Duke University in January 2014.

Interview Details Talked to a professor and asked for TA, since I got a great grade in his class, he recommended me to another professor to be the TA. The hiring process took a month and a half, which is ridiculous. But after that I can fill in online timecard which is very convenient.

Interview Question – No questions at all. Perform well in class.   Answer Question

Duke Service Learning Assistant Interview

Durham, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Duke University in August 2013.

Interview Details The hiring process for the SLA (service learning assistant) position was very quick and painless. The supervisor was very well-organized.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a salary slightly higher than the base wage rate due to my past experience working with undergraduate students.

Campus Sustainability Fellow Interview

Interviewed at Duke University

Interview Details Application and in -person interview with Director of Environmental Sustainability

Interview Question – Describe climate change to a fourth grade student in three sentences   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Student Worker Interview

Student Worker
Durham, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

Interview Details 2 interviews, one phone and one onsite

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Staff Assistant Interview

Staff Assistant
Durham, NC (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University in January 2013.

Interview Details Sent in resume and had 1 onsite interview

Interview Question – Just asked why I wanted the job, my flexibility, possibly some behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, student salary

Fitness Specialist Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Duke University.

Interview Details Submitted my resume through the Duke University HR department. Followed by a phone interview then came to an on-site interview where I met with the program manager, program coordinator, and other fitness specialist. Typical interview questions, nothing too hard, really just trying to get a feel for you personality and if you will fit in their team and participants at Duke.

Interview Question – All questions were typical interview questions focused around exercise. Questions about training participants, costumer service, and flexibility.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none, it was an entry level position.

Undergraduate Applicant Interview

Interviewed at Duke University

Interview Details Interviewed by an old lady who graduated decades ago. Accidentally miscommunicated the Starbucks at which we were planning to meet. Had to call her and reschedule, but the phone number she gave me was only for her home so I couldn't even call her until she had left the interview site and went home. Didn't get accepted, but probably not because of the interview.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any difficult questions, and she seemed mostly interested in my experiences, etc.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Duke University

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duke University interview questions and advice. All 60 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Duke University employees and interview candidates.